/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

itunes.apple.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=TyMLi8QF6sw
makeuseof.com/tag/manage-podcasts-linux-10-apps/
apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-utils/overview/
help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager
wiki.debian.org/sudo
askubuntu.com/questions/585523/add-support-for-media-keys-play-stop-previous-and-next-buttons-in-lubuntu
ftp.debian.org/debian/
github.com/junegunn/fzf
github.com/lotabout/skim
github.com/garybernhardt/selecta
github.com/deviantfero/wpgtk
github.com/everett1992/wp
github.com/s-ol/themer
github.com/Siddharth11/Colorful
github.com/awesome-lists/awesome-bash
github.com/alebcay/awesome-shell
github.com/brabadu/awesome-fonts
github.com/carpedm20/awesome-hacking
github.com/aleksandar-todorovic/awesome-linux
wiki.ubuntu-women.org/
wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality
torrent.fedoraproject.org/,
gist.github.com/ruario/9672798
radiosilenceapp.com/
serverfault.com/questions/550276/how-to-block-internet-access-to-certain-programs-on-linux
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/68956/block-network-access-of-a-process
douaneapp.com/
archwomen.org/).
youtube.com/watch?v=y_lhqg_p21k
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Boot_loaders
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB#efibootmgr
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Check_if_you_have_GPT_and_an_ESP
teejeetech.in/p/conky-manager.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how do I play podcasts from itunes?

itunes.apple.com/

I have a link to a podcast on there but there's no download links. how do I grab the files or just play them under Linux?

Install Gentoo.

I just watched this Lennart Poettering talk youtube.com/watch?v=TyMLi8QF6sw
and I've gotta say, systemd is actually a pretty awesome thing.

I understand that it tries to be so much more than a simple init, but it handles things so much better and makes life much easier than ever before.
Every role it takes, it does so much better. So what if it goes against the unix philosophy, if it's for the grater good?

There are absolutely no rational arguments for using an inferior init system.
Face it, systemd was the future a long time ago and that future is now.

makeuseof.com/tag/manage-podcasts-linux-10-apps/

Everyone who matters has already accepted it. I don't think there's a single major distro which still uses sysv init

Only purists and the uninformed think that the alternative is better. Both of which are objectively wrong.

We know it already

grab the rss link and use a podcatcher.

there are a few available, gpodder has a nice gui, but with my feeds, it starts crawling to halt at update and the like. not sure why, but antennapod on my phone works better.

I plugged my earphones into my laptop that runs fedora and there's a constant static noise playing. When I turn the volume down it gets quieter and when I turn it off it stops, what the hell is causing this?

>install mint on msata ssd on thinkpad

I have this problem where if I set the SSD as the default boot device it won't boot from that. It just sits at a black screen.

But if I boot from linux installed on the HDD it will go into the bootloader and let me select the linux installed on the SSD and boot from that SSD installed linux it.

What causes this/how do I fix it?

if you mute the mic does it still have static

shit's fucked

throw it out a small window

there is no mic they're earbuds, all of the mics in the sound settings are turned to off now and it's still doing it

that sounds like trouble with the soundcard itself
did you try it on any other OS?

I'm getting the same with my desktop's front audio jack, no matter what operating system or driver I use, simply because the jack is shit and there's tons of electrical interference, which you perceive as static noise.

do you dual boot? If I restart from windows then go to linux I get a white noise. But if I shutdown then power on and choose linux I don't.

could be a ton of things desu

If stallman is the dark knight trilogy batman, who's the joker?

honestly never had the issue before I used fedora but maybe I just didn't notice cause you don't really hear it while listening to anything

fedora is the only os I have on this thing

Is it a wise/good idea/method to install Manjaro to my USB 3.0/3.1 128GB USB? 119GB usable/available even when cleanly formatted.

Recommend me a partition scheme/s for my USB to install Manjaro on my USB

I need your advice, Cred Forums.
I think it would be useful to keep my /usr/local on a separate partition from /
(if I change/reinstall distro, it would be nice to keep all my compiled programs)
I already have /home on a separate partition.
I was thinking of moving my /usr/local on the /home partition next to my home dir and symlinking it to /usr/local on the / partition.
If that's not a bad practice, I'd also do the same with /opt and /var (I have a 500GB hdd and I keep most of my media on an external drive, so I have plenty of room to grow my pacman cache in case of emergency).
Should I do this?

thanks senpai, Now I am aware of the static sound.

Lennart.

Would that make linus bane?

When do we get a new version of ubuntu?

I made a folder on Ubuntu of guitar videos and sheet music some time ago, and have been adding to it for the last 3 months

well, this is on an external hard drive. I plugged it into a Windows 10 PC, and every folder except this one, the one I'm trying to access, is able to read.

I can't access the folder on Windows 10, but I can on both my desktop and thinkpad with Ubuntu.

What gives?

cfdisk /dev/ssd
set boot flag

Your onboard sound card is picking up alot of crosstalk.
Not much you can do about it,get a usb set that has onbound controller

Every 6 months. So next month

neat, thanks

I'm using Compiz here and it keeps animating Qt context menus when they appear. Apparently, it considers them to be "Normal type" windows so it plays the Open animation I assigned to normal windows.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Bane and Joker are from different story line, aren't they?

>Been trying to figure out how to get Arch running on my Macbook for days
>Arch wiki tells me I need to chroot to install systemd after I've installed Arch
>Couldn't figure out how to chroot
>Until I reinstalled with Arch anywhere and it literally gave me an option to enter chroot after the installation was finished and I just glossed over it

Why do I get the feeling that Arch isn't for me

figured it out myself, no thanks to you meanies :^(
where is my personal tech support team when I need them?

anyways, if any of you see this, the fix was as simple as copying the files into their own new folder still on the external drive, and windows was able to read them then

Just choose an ubuntu flavor. I'm partial to xubuntu.
Kubuntu is neat if you like super rice by default.

Don't know how much it'd help to be honest family, it's getting this shit to boot that's the problem since Macs have their own kinks to straighten out

Fucking hate nvidia piece of shit garbage fuck.

Sep 14 20:40:10 mypc systemd[369]: Started Dropbox.
Sep 14 20:40:11 mypc dropbox[395]: !! (Qt:Fatal) QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
Sep 14 20:40:11 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=250/n/a
Sep 14 20:40:11 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 14 20:40:11 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 14 20:40:11 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Sep 14 20:40:11 mypc systemd[369]: Stopped Dropbox.
Sep 14 20:40:11 mypc systemd[369]: Started Dropbox.
........repeats..........
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc dropbox[502]: !! (Qt:Fatal) QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=250/n/a
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: Stopped Dropbox.
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: Failed to start Dropbox.
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 14 20:40:16 mypc systemd[369]: dropbox.service: Failed with result 'start-limit-hit'.

Both are from the same universe, just different movie. Everything that happened in the dark knight is half responsible for the events of the dark knight rises.

apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/xorg-x11-utils/overview/

hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooow do i instaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

sudo dnf install xorg-x11-utils

How do I get rid of all these hideous fucking title bars? Who thought it was a good idea to use this much padding?

on?

Every distro that uses gnome

Wow, what a specific question.

install gentoo

lmao what the fuck

de?
wm?
distro?

>distro?
Why would this matter.

Can I install rpms on Arch? A small google search shows that you can but can you actually track dependencies and stuff? Also what's the best method?

maybe he uses a distro in which there is no choice in de, and he doesn't know

Anyone?

>using google

Reusing binaries is bad because you'll end up mixing different libraries and perhaps even different C libraries. Unless you plan on reinstalling the exact same version of the exact same distro, chances are it's not gonna work. A much better idea would be never compiling stuff manually (just make a package for your distro if it isn't available), then keeping a list of the installed packages around. It's not going to be the same names between different package managers, but it's going to be way easier to adapt.

What is the best GNU/Linux bistro?

You can, if you extract it into your root, but you really shouldn't. It's going to be untracked, which means that pacman won't be aware that you installed it, won't be able to remove it, won't treat it as installed for the purposes of dependences, won't update it, etc. Is the package not available in the AUR? And if so, is there any special reason why you can't push it to the AUR yourself?

this thread is so boring
only shit tier questions and dumb people

Arch.

From the last thread, how can I properly install dolphin on mate and/or xfce, and make it the default file manager? On mate I could install it, but trying to make it default became a little mess, with some stuff (specially from the start menu) opening with caja and some opening with dolphin. On xfce, I installed, and it became the default with no problems, but it wasn't showing icons. On ubuntu mate with xfce desktop it kinda worked tho.

is "how do i install a de because i accidentally installed debian without one" an okay question?

Selber.

nice meme

exherbo

The one I'm using.

seriously though please help

help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager

sudo aptitude install packagename

where packagename is whichever package you want
try task-gnome-desktop or task-kde-desktop or task-xfce-desktop or perhaps task-lxde-desktop

sudo: command not found

You can search for packages via
apt-cache search somepackage
In case you don't know the correct package name.

That said, why not go without DE? Install something lightweight like openbox and you're in.

su -c "aptitude install packagename"

He doesn't even know how to use apt, you think he's going to manage openbox?

i am brand new to loonix and have no clue what is going on, but i don't want to get laughed at online for using a babbydistro

wiki.debian.org/sudo

Looks like a lot of work, shame kubuntu is slow and buggy on my machine, anyway I'll try it at home

su: Authentication failure
i know i didn't get the pw wrong
do i need to be logged in as root?

It's not really hard, that page is just awful, as ubuntu docs tend to be, and I got lazy. Just edit ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list and append the following two lines:
inode/directory=dolphin.desktop
x-directory/normal=dolphin.desktop
(the correct name might not actually be dolphin.desktop, I'm just guessing. if this fails, take a look at /usr/share/applications for some .desktop file that contains dolphin somewhere in its name).

Yep. I should have noted that the password it asked for was the root password, not your user's password. If you typed your own, try again, but use the root pw instead.

Thank you. Is this valid for any buntu?

now it's saying bash: aptitude: command not found
maybe i should just use something easier, i guess

You really installed a bare-bones debian, didn't you? Even my minimal install came with sudo and aptitude...

Anyway.

su -c "apt-get install packagename"

Should be valid for any Linux distribution that uses xdg-utils (aka pretty much any linux distribution released over the past 5 years).

Try apt-get instead of aptitude. (aptitude is just a more easy version of apt).

Also don't give up too soon. You're like 3 steps away from your working Desktop.

When you set a root password during install, you don't get sudo. When you don't set up a root password, you get sudo automatically.

E: Unable to locate package xfce4
i feel like i'm not using the right package name

Oh, I see, that makes sense. I always disable root login.

task-xfce-desktop

I guess you need to update you package list first. Try su -c "apt-get update" and then try again.

(I out, *hands over to the other user*.)

I'm*

Lastly, any clues about the dolphin non icons issue on xfce?

su -c "apt-get install task-xfce-desktop" after apt-get update still said unable to locate
thanks for all the help man

tested here with apt-cache search:
xfce4 - Meta-package for the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environment

seems the name is just xfce

No idea, to be honest. I had a similar issue before with pcmanfm, and it turns out that I didn't have any icon sets installed. But I don't use dolphin myself, so I wouldn't know. It's kind of a long shot, but try installing some sort of kde icon theme, and check in the dolphin preferences for any icon theme options.

Yeah, xfce4 is the base DE, task-xfce-desktop comes with some extra goodies. I guess you don't have tasksel either, which leads to the lack of the ^task-.* packages. xfce4 should give you a DE. Though I'm not sure iwhether t comes with a display manager.

su -c "apt-get install xfce"
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
REading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xfce
thanks for all the help, i might have to give up though

Debian Unstable. See here: or gentoo

One thing. When you type:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Do you see some links?

xfce4

not xfce

Fucking shills stop shitting this thread.

I've been using normal Ubuntu for a while, but randomly it stopped working with my printer, and kept running into errors whenever I tried to get it to recognize it.

So I tried installing Lubuntu, just to see what would happen. The good news, is it recognizes my printer but now I have a bunch of other problems.

1) I have no sound. I google'd this and followed some steps that included downloading pulseaudio volume control. When I open this it shows that
>Port: Line Out (plugged in)
Which should be my speakers, but I get nothing.

2) None of my media keys work. I tried following this:
>askubuntu.com/questions/585523/add-support-for-media-keys-play-stop-previous-and-next-buttons-in-lubuntu
But I don't understand the instructions.
>Modify ~/.config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml
I already don't know what that means.

3) I have screen tearing when I scroll pages on the internet.

Help.

>memegenerator

didn't feel like typing it
still unable to locate

If you don't understand what that means, you are well and truly fucked. You open the file in a text editor. What's so hard to understand about that?

Since they are telling him to use xfce, why not just go with xubuntu?

>no repos

I used to run unstable, but it broke a bit too often (and by often I mean about once a month). Switched to stable and have never been happier. Rock solid with near zero maintainance, going strong for three years now (with one update from wheezy to jessie).

Yeah, your sources.list is fucked up. You got no repos. How did you even manage to finish installation? Anyway, type the following two commands, one at a time, exactly as is, including entering your password after 'su' asks for it.
su
echo 'deb ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Is there any reason for me to have swap on an 8 GB ram machine?

i typed them in, nothing happened

How to open xml file?

Short answer: Not really.

However, you need at least as much swap as your RAM in order to use hibernation, as it stores a copy of the current RAM in swap. Suspend works fine without swap, though.

Now you
su -c 'apt-get update'
su -c 'apt-get install xfce4'

it should work fine

Make him install sudo, this is painful.

I'm enjoying it. I was to ashamed to ask Cred Forums when i fucked up an debian netinstall once.
I blamed it on the mirror because another mirrors iso had no issue

i typed in an apostrophe instead of a quote before apt and now it isn't letting me do anything
do i just reboot and restart from

It is but it's quite obviously a troll.

Ctrl+C

No need to reboot, it should give you a shell.
Then try again.

is there any reason for me to have swap on a machine with 32GB of RAM?

unable to locate package
i have failed you
i'm sorry

Did the apt-get update work? Did it output anything?

Time for Ubuntu.

failed to fetch, failed to resolve ftp.debian.org

Sounds like your computer isn't connected to the internet. Whoops. Well, let's try that again. Are you using wired or wireless?

I like this thread. Good job anons.

wireless, no ethernet ports in my dorm
wifi also requires me to login, so that might mess things up

Yeah, that might be troublesome. Off the top of my head, I don't recall whether netinst comes with any web browser. You could consider giving up and using an easier distro now, but if you still want to try, then we can find out if you have any web browser installed. What's the output of the following commands?
ls /usr/bin | grep lynx
ls /usr/bin | grep *links*

Nevermind the * in that second command, it should be
ls /usr/bin | grep links

first one spat out a huge list, lots of grub things
second one did i think the exact same
a lot of it gets cut off
still same thing

Sounds like you got the entirety of /usr/bin and the grep filter didn't work out. Let's try something else.
which lynx

Have some pasta with cheese.

> Bash fuzzy finders:
github.com/junegunn/fzf
github.com/lotabout/skim
github.com/garybernhardt/selecta

> Autorice tools (generate themes based on image source):
github.com/deviantfero/wpgtk
github.com/everett1992/wp
github.com/s-ol/themer

> Awesome lists:
github.com/Siddharth11/Colorful
github.com/awesome-lists/awesome-bash
github.com/alebcay/awesome-shell
github.com/brabadu/awesome-fonts
github.com/carpedm20/awesome-hacking
github.com/aleksandar-todorovic/awesome-linux

Awesome bash and awesome shell list is pretty good. Happy digging.

nothing happens

Turns out you don't have a web browser after all. There's ways to get out of this situation, but the two I can think of (download on another PC and copy packages over USB, or use telnet to manually write a POST request to the wifi login page) are pretty difficult to pull off and I'm not confident I can direct you over the internet. So I sadly have to recommend downloading a more complete easier to use system, and installing from scratch. Ubuntu and Mint are both good choices, as they have easy to use graphical network managers. Sorry for not being of much help.

thanks for sticking with me for so long dude, it really means a lot to me. even if i didn't get it installed i still feel like i learned at least a little bit about how this sort of stuff works.
time to choose a new distro

IIRC fedora netinstall has a gui installer.

Yeah and it's pretty good.

i'll put that on the list of distros to look into
thanks

holy heck absolute linux is maximum comfy
now i just need to learn how slackware works
does anyone know offhand if screenfetch supports slack?

Don't feel bad, not even Linus himself is able to install Debian.

>implying linus has any value

>i just need to learn how slackware works
>does screenfetch supports slack
Fucking kek, I just lelled my ass off.

Watch your mouth, I am going to kick the living shit out of you, game over, lights out.

is it not a legitimate question?
i've never seen someone post a slack screenfetch and i've never bothered to look inside

best linus quote ever

Why do you do a minimal install if you can't handle it? Did you see any errors during install? Did you use the stable netinstall?

Daily reminder that women matter.
wiki.ubuntu-women.org/

>download screenfetch
>run screenfetch
It would be quicker to try it. Of course it is supported though, slackware is one or the oldest distro around.
The real answer, true to slackware form, would be download the script and look over the code and check yourself to see if it is supported.

No, they don't.

Duel-boot it. Or if you're not going to half-ass it just backup what you need to and install it.

Linux runs on anything, so it will run on your desktop. You shouldn't need more than 50GB for Linux and all its packages.

daily reminder that debian and all of its derivatives have been co-opted by sjws
wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

linux has no packages

what's with all these sexist websites that keep cropping up?

This. These websites imply that women are too stupid to computer and need special threatment. What the fuck.

Failing is the only way to learn, Nick. You'll get there eventually.

I'd recommend Xubuntu.

OK

whatever files are actually part of "linux" shouldn't take up more than 50GB.

I guess that's something the whole GNU/Linux community needs to deal with, not just Debian. Freedom attracts all sorts of scum with mental problems. Just see the recent libreboot drama.

If you do screenfetch --help (or in the man pages) it gives you a list of supported distros.

why the fug

Here's a quote from an article linked on that page:

>Accept Your Privilege
>Once you have a basic grasp on the system of privilege, the next step is one simple self-realization: you are privileged. Chances are, your reading that has made you feel defensive. While it’s a perfectly natural, and common, reaction, don’t let it get in your way of actually thinking about what the statement means. What you need to realize is that we all have privilege to some degree: white privilege, male privilege, heterosexual privilege, etc. The hardest thing is to do is to get over your instinct to fight and say, “But I’m not like that!” If you can do it, you’ve completed the first step towards being a pro-equality in reality rather than simply saying and believing that you are.

Read them and find out, that's the reason they exist.

What utter retarded doublespeak bullshit.

This makes me so angry. Don't they see that they make "privileged" people by calling them "privileged" actually "non privileged"? Nowadays it's a privilege to be a women, trans or whatever special specialness else. because everyone needs to shut up or het gets harrassed and life ruined by loud screaming hords of justice warriors, maybe because he accidently referred to "her" as "him". Jesus fucking christ. Never post this bullshit again, not even ironically.

Hi guys, any idea how to have better font rendering in Fedora 24? Just came from Ubuntu btw.

I'd recommend to learn 2 fontconfig, but if you are lazy: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality

Well played.

I made a live USB of fedora 24, but I can't get it to install.
If I boot from usb without uefi, I get
>FATAL: No or empty root= argument
>Refusing to continue
>System halted

Then with uefi,
>[sdc] No caching mode page found
>[sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
It then does nothing.

Why won't it just werk?

Isn't that for arch linux? I did "sudo dnf install infinality-bundle" and there was no such package.

Did you verify the image hash?

I don't agree with most of what is written there, but do any of you have actual arguments? No Cred Forums memes. No, they just want attention thing.

Just being angry doesn't help.

So find the instructions for your distro, also it's not even in the default Arch repo, see how you have to add custom ones?

i think it's fair to not use something because you disagree with the principles behind it
even if the sjw shit doesn't affect the distro at all, i can understand why people wouldn't want to be involved with it

>i think it's fair to not use something because you disagree with the principles behind it
Me too. I'm just asking why they don't agree, if they have any actual arguments. It might give you clear vision of bigger problems in society.

Just fucking search "fedora font rendering". It's as simple as enabling a repo or installing a package.

DINGUS

>Did you verify the image hash?

I didn't, but I just tried now and get
gpg: Signature made Thu 16 Jun 2016 06:13:54 PM PDT using RSA key ID 81B46521
gpg: Good signature from "Fedora (24) "
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 5048 BDBB A5E7 76E5 47B0 9CCC 73BD E983 81B4 6521

Which leads me to believe it's no good. I got it from torrent.fedoraproject.org/, but I guess I'll try downloading the image from through my browser.

If you torrented it's not currupted. Torrents checks the hash. How did you create the usb?

/r/ing help because i'm retarded i guess
firefox in slackware constantly resets the homepage to google
i thought it would be an easy fix, but it wasn't. i've gone like 5 pages deep into google, reinstalled, ran it in safe mode/disabled addons, changing the vales for browser.startup.homepage and the override, and still it fucking won;t save my homepage
please send help

Delete ~/.mozilla

From what source did you download it?

Unetbootin.
I also just tried doing (I'm using ubuntu mate right now):
sudo dd bs=4M if=fedora.iso of=/dev/sdc

But that had a lot of errors as well, missing files, etc.

gist.github.com/ruario/9672798
it changed nothing for me

Deleting the folder deletes your configurations. Did you reset the browser and changed the search engine again after that?

yes
yes

How do i remove residual files from Evolution mail client?

rm -rf ~/.

I came to Ubuntu after Fedora annoyed me for some reason, but now I remember how much I fucking hate it.
What's a distro that is as polished for desktop use as Ubuntu and Fedora, has the package availability of Ubuntu, but doesn't drop your wifi every 3 minutes forcing you to get off your couch, walk all the way to your living room, open up your laptop server and restart the wifi so that you can finally sftp the porn you wanted?
Also is there anything I can do about the blues looking purple or is that just my luck?

Then idk. I suggest you download it by hand from the mozilla site and install it.

is this the linux version of "delete system32"?

yes

Problem is a firmware version problem, try changing it. Opensuse is very good but doesn't have the software availability of ubuntu.

Yes

"friendly gnu/linux thread"

How do I install Ubuntu 16 LTS on a dell with W10? I have attempted to play with the BIOS, but to no avail. Please someone help me.

I am and I regret posting the quote. My bad.

>tfw root makes you godlike.

*Tips*

How can I make it so my phone shows up in XFCE's file browser when I plug it in? I tried all the MTP package solutions on Google, but they haven't worked for me.

Install a better file browser, namely one that comes with a better DE.

Whats causing this am I running out of ram or something?

in a way

arch by default puts /tmp on a ramdisk, and yaourt by default puts AUR build files under /tmp, so your /tmp could run out of space with a combination of too small a /tmp (based on how much ram you have) and too large an AUR package

you can configure it to use another folder, or for a one-off, just use "yaourt --tmp /somewhere/else ..."

remove the bottom panel and get a different theme user

How to make my distro powerful?

What is the best GUI firewall for Linux that can block apps to access the Internet?

Ill try that out thanks

Is there a fix for 4.7 OOM killer issues? (except for updating to 4.8 and setting swappiness to 90)

Is there a way to make caja show folder thumbnails, like windows does with folders which have images/videos inside?

2nd this

I'm looking for a Linux version of this
radiosilenceapp.com/
>Monitor & block apps that make unwanted network connections

Pretty much like little snitch

You can't do exactly that on Linux.
You have two options:
serverfault.com/questions/550276/how-to-block-internet-access-to-certain-programs-on-linux

or

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/68956/block-network-access-of-a-process

I found this app called Douane

douaneapp.com/

You install powertools and ask greyskull

I see this when I start up my laptop. What does this mean and how do I make it go away?

It does eventually start and boot into linux just fine, but I'm greeted with this whenever I start my laptop.

Reposting from /sqt/ as no reply

I'm setting up my first server on an old laptop, just to use as a Vpn and as a cloud service using seafile.

I've read the wiki, and I just want to make sure that it'll be secure if I do everything it says- keypads, user login, fail2ban

Is there anything I'm missing/overlooking?

Has /fglt/ tried opensuse? How good is it? Is tumbleweed stable or should I go with leap?

>you need root privileges to power off the computer

OpenSUSE has issues with non-free video drivers

I'm okay with this

Dualbooting?

SSD?

$ sudo adduser $(whoami) sudo

That's so only root can turn the computer off. It be stupid to allow any user to power the server or computer off

Is opensuse better than fedora for servers?

>Dualbooting?

No. Just a single installation of Debian is on this laptop.

>What does this mean and how do I make it go away
First line: no idea. Nothing you should really worry about, thought.

Second line: It's fsck checking a partition, everything is good. I'm not sure, but I think it only runs if you mess something up, like force shutdown by yanking the battery.

>ain't broke
don't fix it

>Server
Doesn't really matter. Get literally any distro

So I'm pretty well versed in Linux, but for my next computer build (probably six months out) I would like to have a single boot setup, and virtualize windows with all the fancy vtx/vtd shit.
I'm familiar that I can use a dedicated gpu for passthrough and the igpu for the host system, can I set it up so that I can use the dedicated GPU while not booted into the windows vm?

add rmpfusion repos
dnf install freetype-freeword
add this to /etc/fonts/local.conf

true

false

false

true

hintslight

lcdlight

rgb

false

reboot

No, each OS will need its own GPU.

I think even normalfags realize that this is pure mental illness. "Privilege" is a cancerous idea that tries to make everyone feel bad, people with and people without "it". Actual equality is the opposite of special threatment.

Debian isn't the only distro with a problematic community. This x-women thing can be found nearly everywhere (archwomen.org/).

Is it possible to do full Duplex (record then play audio near instantaneously) on Ubuntu 16.04 (kernel 4.4.0-38-generic) WITHOUT applying a Real-Time patch to it?

why do you think those patches were created?

Because i honestly thought Linux was proper RT until I started trying to do full duplex audio through ALSA.

you can't have "lowest latency" and "highest bandwidth" at the same time, normal kernels are a balance of both, server-oriented kernels lean more towards high bandwidth, and RT kernels lean more towards lower latency

K k, cheers for dealing with my retardation

I've a question about our friend "rm". How does /fglt/ deal with it? Do you use a protecting function, aliases or third party tools like safe-rm, trash-cli etc? Or do you live on the edge and just yolo-use rm?

What's the best idea? I was thinking about a function that asks "do you really want to be homeless? [y/n]" or is using the systems trash the better idea?

alias rm='rm -I'

So I have a pc at home running Ubuntu and a Nexus 5 with CM.
I've set both devices up so that I can ssh into the pc when the phone is in the same LAN, which is nice for remotely controlling ncmpcpp but doesn't help me when I'm on the go.
1) How do I get ssh access to my pc from anywhere with an internet connection? Someone mentioned setting up a VPN; can that server run on the pc I'm trying to ssh into or so I meed a dedicated device for that?
2) I can copy files from the phone to the pc via scp / ssh; does that work the other way around as well? i.e. scp ~/localfolder/local.file user@sshhost:/remotefolder/remote.file copies a file from my phone to the pc; can I simply do scp user@sshhost:/remotefolder/remote.file ~/localfolder/local.file to copy something from the pc to my phone?

I use my eyes and brain to make sure I don't accidentally everything.

I need an advice from you linux people.
So basically i have this small home ubuntu server and i have the following problem
i have two users on the server: me and mom
i have an user group which grants access to a bunch of directories like movies or porn, i am a memeber of that user group
i need to give the user mom access to only the movies directory so that she can't look at my gross porn fetishes in the porn folder
how can i achieve this? i don't want to create a new usergroup just for her to give her access to that one folder, that would be very bloaty

While I'm using the same alias myself, I don't recommend it. You may use a system one day without such an alias and then hell is on earth.

I guess something like:
alias delete='rm -I'
is the better idea.

Or a solution with mv:
alias trash='mv -vit "${HOME}/.local/share/Trash/files/"'

I use plasmazilla ppa for firefox and it still hasn't got the latest update yet. What the fuck is taking so long? This is worse than manjaro.

Knowing is half the battle

make sure you are the owner of the files, if you are not use chown to you, then chmod 700 so only you can see them

You don't need a partition table just whrite an image on USB, using Win32DiskImager. Some over dd like tool, for windows.

I'm going to buy a new laptop soon to upgrade from my old Macbook Pro and I plan on dual booting Windows and Arch, what are the things to look out for, hardware wise, for Linux to not shit itself? Is there anything other than Broadcom wireless that tends to cause problems?

Couldn't he just tick "encrypt home folder" and put their movies in a separate, higher folder? Symlink to i in her home if she needs it in her home?

I followed all of the steps and It won't run on my machine.

The dialog boxes just don't pop up. It still blocks DNS queries though.

>hey Cred Forums, how do I increase the system volume? I'm on Arch, if it matters

>hey Cred Forums, I barly use the command line but zsh is so much better, I highly recommend to rice it even further with the amazing oh-my-zsh framework!

>hey Cred Forums, I'm the guy with the fonts problems from the last thread, I've installed Infinality from the AUR but it doesn't work, what do

>hey Cred Forums, I'm trying to set up an alias 'alias update="sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade"' but it doesn't work, why?! I'm using fish it it matters

[unsubscribe]

>bashtard

>hey Cred Forums, I'm searching for serious discussion, do you think Cred Forums is the right place?

>hey Cred Forums, I'm searching for hug, do you think Cred Forums is the right place?

hey Cred Forums, is there any way to flush ram content?

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mem bs=4k

sudo sudo swapoff -a && sudo swapon -a

should do it, thanks

Obviously not sudo sudo though

all me

Hey Cred Forums, is there a way to "spy" on a file? So let's say I have faggot.txt and when Vim is accessing it, the program will tell about it.

>hey Cred Forums
hey reddit

Hey um I installed arch, but my laptop won't boot from it even after (I think) I changed the boot order using efibootmgr. The best I can do is restart from windows using advanced start-up.. F12, F2 don't work, though they should.. (acer laptop)
Also, arch doesn't register my touchpad. Help

>youtube.com/watch?v=y_lhqg_p21k
What's that app to display the HDD and cpu load? I know its arch, but does it work for Linux Mint too?

Yeah that works too

>hey Cred Forums, all i want to do is ACTIVITY 1, ACTIVITY 2 and maybe some ACTIVITY 3, which distribution do you recommend?

so basically if i 777 a file or a directory it's like saying "fuck user permissions and user groups, anyone can use this whore any way they want" right?

guys i had this problem yesterday and one user was super pissed about it BUT - firefox is completely unresponsive when launched as user but very works normally when launched as root.

i've deleted my mozilla profile and cache numerous of times, i've changed the ownership of that times, i even created an entire new user space..... same thing.

yes.
though there is still the fourth column of special permissions.
if you really want to fuck over your security and give every security expert looking at your system a stroke, set the permissions to 7777.
that will set the setuid, setgid and the sticky bit. allowing the file to set its own user id to root, if executed.

How come I can see my 2.4GHz n and even 5GHz network on a simple wireless a/b/g card in Linux?
What kind of sorcery is this?

Hey guys, I recently made a full switch to Linux and installed wine for some basic videogames, but everytime i try to run any program i get this error
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00d39640).
Anyone ran into this issue before and managed to fix it?

Try to run wine with sudo rights. If that doesen't work, then switch to 64bit linux.

Already tried to run with sudo but still same thing, also I'm already running 64 bit
I'm using Debian Stretch if that can be of help

Download the repository and upgrade wine. Maybe use playforlinux.

What do you mean by downloading the repository?
I'd use playforlinux but unfortunately the game is already on the hard drive and I don't have the installer, will definitely use it in the future though

Yea

Try a 32-bit winebottle.
Or actually install 32-bit libs on your system, though that error shouldn't look like this.

How do I do either of those? Sorry but it hasn't even been a week since i installed linux

Sounds like faulty usb controller firmware (but i am obviously not sure about it), it may be annoying but it is better not touched. unless you have a bios/uefi setting for that.

systemctl poweroff
git gud before complaining

Just call wine with
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/bottle/for/32bit wine

As for the other part, trust your friendly installation instructions from your distro.

hey Cred Forums, I'm searching for a lightweight and easy distro for browsing the web, watching anime, etc

suggestions welcome

arch or ubuntu

Try Jude

hey anything good to replace peazip? cant drag and drop

hey Cred Forums, hey Cred Forums will never be a meme, just saying

He said lightweight.

try bunsenlabs

>efibootmgr
I would recommend installing a bootloader.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Boot_loaders
although there is way to using the uefi direclty.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB#efibootmgr

my bootloaders is limited, so I will just paste the links from the archwiki
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Check_if_you_have_GPT_and_an_ESP

>touchpad not registering
try installing the drivers

teejeetech.in/p/conky-manager.html

>spin up Xubuntu 16.10 daily build to test
>install with "encrypt home folder" option selected
>boot
>home folder is not encrypted

Welp, guess it's not ready yet.

>I would recommend installing a bootloader.
I have grub..

No matter what I do to the boot order, windows comes first. On the windows disk manager, the windows partition is marked as boot and I can't change this; the "mark partition as active" option is grey.
diskpart gives me the following objection "The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk."
But it's UEFI so why would I change from GPT? How else can it become bootable?
I can boot into arch but this involves booting into windows first and then restarting and fuck that.

>try installing the drivers
where do I find "ELAN I2C Filter Driver"?

strangely enough I no longer have audio coming from anything (mpv and browsers in particular) bar mpd.
speaker-test -c 2 also works, so I think I've set the right default card on .asoundrc
Any idea on what might have happened? I'm using pulseaudio (and need to).

sorry I don't know much about uefi to help on it, try searching for the problem over at the arch wiki and bbs

drivers usually have a different name with different operating system (i.e. windows and linux) check for your device on arch
try out the touchpad synaptics and see if they work

# pacman -Syu xf86-input-synaptics

What GNU plus Linux distro would you recommend for an 11 inch 32 GB laptop? This is my first time.

This is just for fun, I've replaced the laptop.

Arch if you're ready to get your hands dirty and actually interested in doing so.
Ubuntu otherwise.

>11 inch 32 GB laptop
What is it?

My laptop keeps freezing since I installed Linux Mint on it. How do I unfreeze it without restarting it?

Serious question, how good is widowmaker? I'm using a tiny acer aspire and wanna get maximum battery life out of it. So far I've been using lxde but widowmaker has a nice aesthetic desu.

ok, I'll have a look. I may have found a solution for my touchpad problem on the bbs but we'll see.

Arch newbie here. Is there a way to prevent / block certain packages from being installed on pacman?Something like pinning packages with negative priority on apt.

Why would you want that? It's either a dependency or it's not going to be installed.

So I won't be able to install a package that depends on it by mistake.

I take it this is impossible on pacman?

Real men like thicc distro's

>So I won't be able to install a package that depends on it by mistake.
I know it's a dumb solution, but just use your eyes. I bet you don't install enough packages and don't need to avoid enough packages to warrant such systematic approach.

Feel free to write a patch and send it upstream.

pulseaudio -k

Ubuntu for learning, Debian for living.

so in samba i have to use separate username and password? i thought i could just use my linux credentials

Mint is crap, get rid of it.

you can edit the /etc/pacman.conf to include the packages you want ignored. when you try to install the said packages it will ask you if you're sure you want to install them

No other distros work. It has proprietary graphics, so I can't even install stuff without drivers.

Wait, is it not possible for a file to be owned by multiple user groups? Like if i want to have two user groups, one with RW and another with just R for that folder is that not possible? Because if i do ls -l there is clearly no space for multiple owner groups in the column

Hibernation, that's about it

unfortunately that nor kill fixes the problem

Pls respond

God fucking damn it. I spent one whole week trying to install gitlab on my home server And nothing is fucking working.

How do you guys relax after being increasingly frustrated with Linux?

By installing gentoo

Post your problems, then. Doesn't sound like a really hard task.

nice meme. do you mind if I save it?

How much different is Debian from Arch in a daily use ?
I'm thinking about trying it out, but if I have to spend as much time in the wikis as I did during my first weeks on arch I'd rather try it out in a VM first...

If you had installed gentoo you probably wouldn't be suffering such silly problems, memes aside.

>he thinks gentoo meme

yes. this meme is copyrighted you thieving fuck

I fixed a lot of issues, but another one just popped up and now I have to troubleshoot that one too

So, the way that gitlab works is that it comes prepackaged with nginx to just set up and install. But I already have nginx, so I had to turn off the nginx for gitlab and use configs I got online for it.

After I did all of that, I got
502 Whoops, GitLab is taking too much time to respond.

So obviously I checked out sudo gitlab-ctl tail . And now what it's saying is

2016-09-27_19:04:10.54887 2016/09/27 15:04:10 error: badgateway: GET "/git" failed after 0.000s: dial unix /var/opt/gitlab/gitlab-rails/sockets/gitlab.socket: connect: connection refused

And just for fun, du --human-readable --summarize /var/log/gitlab gives me
58M /var/log/gitlab

So there's no way I'll post all of that shit. Or even going through it. At least not today

ls -la /var/opt/gitlab/gitlab-rails/sockets gives me
drwxr-x--- 2 git gitlab-www 4096 Sep 27 13:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 git root 4096 Sep 27 14:37 ..
srwxrwxrwx 1 git git 0 Sep 27 13:08 gitlab.socket

www-data is a member of both git and gitlab-www. So it's definitely not a permissions issue.

People come and go in these threads. Sometimes it's full of wizards, and sometimes it's full of trolls and memelords.

Anyway, I've had troubles sharing drives between Windows and GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux is open and flexible, so it never has trouble reading/writing/detecting drives, but Windows almost always has trouble and finds things "corrupted" or "read-only" or some other nonsense.

Using "chkdsk /f DRIVE_LETTER_HERE:" in the command line usually fixes the issue for me.

Nice digits.

>I don't think there's a single major distro which still uses sysv init
Gentoo, the basis of Android and ChromeOS, the most prolific Linux variants by far, are not onboard. Save yourself the embarrassment of riding the redhat ship into oblivion. Redhat is hemorrhaging funds to make this happen and when it fails they're done.

Arch is cancer, don't fall for it. It comes with all kernel modules enabled, bloated packages and no freedom to choose only free packages. In return you get no installer and need to fix stupid defaults.

How do you expect distros to differ in your daily use?
Your DE/WM of choice won't be magically different on a different distro. Same for browser and other things.

lol ok

>t. debqueen who was too stupid to install arch

>no freedom to choose only free packages.

>he feels cool for installing a distro
Wow
F
ebin!
but I guess that's the only thing you ever learn on Arch. Everything else will be shoved up your ass thanks to the AUR.

Arch is Noobuntu for the cool kids.

Let's end this thread before it's too late.

NEW THREAD:

If you think Google's next gen. OS is going to be using systemDicks to promote Redhat's failure then you are mistaken. Linux is being pulled in two diffirent directions. One by the bloviating asshats at Redhat and the other by actual money making virtuoso programmers at Google. The latter is clearly going to win and it's not even debatable. This desperate attempt by Redhat to assert themselves as gatekeepers between Google and Linux is a joke and nobody is taking it seriously besides career autists like Lennart who think their grand plans are anything but a footnote in history.

unsubscribe