Hey Cred Forums I need to buy a laptop for my university classes...

Hey Cred Forums I need to buy a laptop for my university classes. It will serve as my main machine so it has to be at least decently powerful. The main things In looking for are portability, battery life and a touchscreen would be a plus. Right now I'm choosing between a MacBook pro or surface pro but I heard bad things about them so I'm not sure now.

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I need an i7 for word processing and casual facebook
Fuck off normie

Get a macbook if you're degenerate homosexual else get a windows laptop.

there should be some new macbook pros coming out soon if you can wait a month

I got mine for 200$ on ebay and put a 60$ ssd into it.

Literally preforms better than any laptop i've ever had before

XPS 13 fits your criteria, although yeah, I love the Surface Book. Shame about Linux being a pipe dream on it.

Get an Acer Chromebook

*tips 1366x768 TN shittop*

>if Windows
XPS 13
Surface Book
Old Thinkpad
Old Business Laptops
>if GNU/Linux
Old Thinkpad
Old Business Laptops
>if you don't fucking care
Macbook Pro (wait until the new ones come out)
XPS 13

I wish there was some nicely built i3 machines with an IPS display and 16:9 display

my $400 refurb shittop from 2012 can still do everything I need it to

Get a Dell Precision 5510 with a Xeon.

except not make you want to claw your eyes out from the screen being so fucking shit

Hi can someone tell me what video card should I buy or what price range should I sxpect if I want to play games like overwatch and dark souls?
I have Intel i7 860 @ 2.80GHz, 8GB RAM and it came with an AMD Radeon HD 5570 1GB.

I don't really mind it. I own a shittop, a Pro 2, and a ViewSonic IPS, and I don't really have a preference display-wise between the three. TN vs IPS doesn't seem to be a big deal unless you're staring at games all day or editing pictures for a living.

hehehehehe

seems practical to me

Xiaomi Notebook Air 13.3"
The only compromise is the touch screen. It's cheaper than all your other options and better catered to your requirements.

REKT
E
K
T

i like this graph it's very easy to understand and is presented in a linear fashion

Anything over $1,000 is a waste.

ThinkPad 13 is powerful and portable, and it doesn't have a touch screen. (Psst, you don't need a touch screen.)

what about the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (4th Gen, 2016) or the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga?

bump for interest

Surface Pro 4 has a touchscreen but only has 4-6 hours of battery life in my experience. Also, you would want a typecover so make sure you add that to your costs.

The current 13" rMBP has a good battery life but not a touch screen. I'm guessing you can't wait for their refresh then?

XPS 13 might be okay. Just can't remember the battery life of the touchscreen QHD model.

literally everyone in my computer science degree

>shaggy hair, doesn't shower, watches anime, constantly talks about privacy and government surveillance
windows

>occasionally showers, watches mlp, turboautist that keeps to themselves
arch linux

>well-groomed, overconfident, smug, naive, possibly gay, artistic hobby
macos

I have a really shit laptop so I can't wait for more than two weeks.

Recently picked up a thinkpad x220 tablet with an i7 and 8gb ram for $280. that with gnu/loonix makes for a perfect student laptop

my budget is upto $2000 and I want something that actually looks nice

You'd just have to take your pick then. Currently, You can get only 2 out of 3 features you want. What would you use the touchscreen for anyway?

Though I suggest that if you buy a Lenovo, get one no older than 2014. Around 2015 was the Superfish malware. Then in 2016, there's the Lenovo Solutions Center that added another vulnerability to your system.

Wat labtop should I get if I'm going into CS? Also is CS hard? My parents want me to do it and I have no ambitions in life anyways so I'm going with it

should be at the bottom of the screen so your wire doesn't just sperg in the air

>talks about privacy
>uses Windows

notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

What are you planning to do on it that requires good specs? Get a thinkpad x-series for $150.

Go to tpg

Typing is all you need. Thinkpads have the best keyboards and some have IPS screens if you know where to look. The X series is cheap and durable with long battery life while also being very portable and just as light as a rMBP.

Also cost $1000 less and do the exact same things.

If you're not joking, I suggest you invest into a good laptop.

>1366x768
>better than any laptop

Well at least it (still) has a headphone jack.

Get the cheaper Surface Pro 4 with the m3 processor. More than enough for most uses, passively cooled and therefore silent, and much better battery life.

I have an Acer Aspire R.

>portability
It's thin.

>battery life
10 hours

>touchscreen
It's a 2-in-1, full 360° screen rotation.

I like it.

>Thinkpads have the best keyboards
This hasn't been true in years, the chinks refuse to put a decent board into any Lenovo.