/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-12-5-IPS-i7-3520M-2-9Ghz-240GB-SSD-8GB-RAM-WIN7PRO-/322268227877?hash=item4b08aee925:g:39oAAOSwqfNXjaaH
amazon.com/Eathtek-New-Rubber-Rails-41v9756/dp/B004QWCWY0
shopap.lenovo.com/sg/en/itemdetails/0A36307/460/D91DC49376D94C4690E7BA925BCE90CA
ebay.com/itm/94Wh-8-4Ah-Genuine-9-Cell-44-Battery-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-X230i-X220-X220i-/131558010725
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4X40E77324/460/32C550C87DBD4287A539A749B9359EA3
lapstore.de/f.php/shop/lapstore/f/1493/lang/en/kw/HP-Elitebook-2570p-Serie/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
ebay.com/itm/IBM-SYSTEM-X3500-M3-SERVER-XEON-SIX-CORE-E5645-2-40GHz-12GB-RAM-NO-HDD-/281914955849?hash=item41a370d849:g:hUYAAOSw0UdXty~W
ebay.com/itm/IBM-x3200-M2-Tower-1x-E3110-3-0ghz-Dual-Core-4GB-RAM-2x-160gb-SATA-/172347703459?hash=item2820b940a3:g:qVoAAOSwgApW~BHb
ebay.com/itm/IBM-7977AC1-X3500-Tower-Server-CTO-0x0-zj-/351779973835?hash=item51e7b86acb:g:7qQAAOSwddNXgmQL
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-System-X-X3100-M5-5457efu-4u-Mini-tower-Server-1-X-Intel-Xeon-E3-1231-/232086557060?hash=item36096fd184:g:Q~wAAOSwsN9XALRq
forum.thinkpads.com/
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Thinkpad-2630-701C-Laptop-Butterfly-Keyboard-360MB-12MB-/272391587969?hash=item3f6bcdc881:g:p54AAOSw8w1X6U02
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Core-i5-2-5Ghz-HD-12-Display-8GB-RAM-Webcam-320GB-Win-7-/141737719128?hash=item210039f558:g:m7kAAOSw7s5XgxJU
youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2jsZVXxYg
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0A36303/460/D91DC49376D94C4690E7BA925BCE90CA#0A36303
ebay.com/itm/172346480518
lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/perth/laptops/core-i5-4gb-ram-ssd-drive-laptop-notebook-exellent/1125162268
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/
anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Completely fucking shit.

Is this a garbage deal or an ok one?
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-12-5-IPS-i7-3520M-2-9Ghz-240GB-SSD-8GB-RAM-WIN7PRO-/322268227877?hash=item4b08aee925:g:39oAAOSwqfNXjaaH

I tried Windows 10 on my X301, its not fun.

I need some new drive rails for my T420 since the factory 1.8" SSD is shit and I want to get a 2.5" one to replace it. Problem is all the 7mm rails I find are for the T420S instead. Would those fit in the normal T420 or should I just get the 9mm rails and use the spacer the SSD comes with?

Is it worth hunting for an IPS x230 with I7? It seems like all of the IPS display ones I see are i5s

What think pad could i use to get completely libre/free software including firmware.

I would just stuff tissues or cardboard until you know it's not going anywhere. lol

Are they going to stop making keyboards like they did for the t420? is it all going to be chiclet keyboards from now on? will life even be worth living?

Both my laptop and desktop decided to die on me within a month of each other, so I bought a used Elitebook (8760w desktop replacement, ~2012 model). So far I love the machine, except for one thing: It runs blazing hot. 55C idle, 95C under load spiking into low 100's.

Anything I can do to help it?

Idle temps for reference.

reapply thermal paste, see if you can change fan speed in the bios?

Messed around in the bios. The only option for the fans is turning them off.

Didn't really occur to me that it might just be shitty stock paste, I shouldn't definitely try that. Thanks.

Had my t420s for about a week and a half, and I absolutely love it. Probably will end up getting another battery because my main one is fucked to like 70% capacity.

Getting an X200 this Thursday that I got for $90. Would it be worth the effort to pick up an X201 mobo with an i7-620LM for around $40 and installing it in the case?

>shell
>sudo screenfetch
really makes you think...

kek

How's fedora on there?

Anything core2 duo or earlier.
You can flash coreboot up until T430/X230, but they still have intel ME.

you would need something like a hard drive caddy

amazon.com/Eathtek-New-Rubber-Rails-41v9756/dp/B004QWCWY0

Hi /tpg/, I own an X220 running Mint and it's fantastic for my university work. However, when I bought it a couple of months ago, it shipped with a chink knockoff battery.

Well, just now it shit itself. The computer won't run while the battery is in. Runs fine off AC if the battery is unplugged but if it's in then the computer won't boot.

So I need a new battery. I should definitely buy a genuine Lenovo one, right? Does Lenovo still sell the parts, or do I have to buy from a third party/reseller? Is this the official lenovo sales page?

shopap.lenovo.com/sg/en/itemdetails/0A36307/460/D91DC49376D94C4690E7BA925BCE90CA

Thanks

Should I do something stupid and pay too much for an X220 i7 motherboard? Mostly because Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter is junk: too hot, and terrible speeds.

Guys my T420 has started getting a bit hotter (not like /really/ hot, but...) and the fan is a bit louder (I guess running harder to try to cool it down).

I haven't done any changes software-wise, and I haven't like dropped it or some shit. Though I use it for school and it's in my backpack a fair bit so it does move around (though only ever off, obviously).

I'm a little worried. I love my thinkpad. What do I do?

I did so. I do not regret it.

Something doing something in the background using the CPU so it gets hot maybe?

How hot is your definition of hot though

I'm getting the same with my T430.
It gets hot to the point where its uncomfortable to touch :(

I suppose if the price discrepancy compared to the i5 isn't an issue, there's no reason you would. Do you have experience with Expresscard USB 3.0 at all? Just wondering if the expensive, branded ones have less problems than cheap ones.

t430 or 420? is the "noisy fan" issue in the t430 really that pronounced?

I've never bothered with one seeing as I have the native port and all.

Would advise against i7 in the X-series, they get hot as fuck unless you're a master thermal paster

>tfw you'll never be a master thermal paster like that faggot with a quad core i7 t420 at 40°c

I know this isn't 100% related to ThinkPads or even technology, but I'd like to get your advice on what backpack I should get.
I'm starting university (CS) in a month and I'm gonna get an x220 soon. Which backpack should I get with it? I want something well made, something built to last.

>quad core i7 t420 at 40°c
I literally don't believe it to be true.

couple of threads ago, see cooler room temperature maybe?

Nothing using the CPU intensely. Like I said, software-wise, things are unchanged.

That's a good question. It's not unbearably hot like seems to be describing his. I guess the key word here is hottER. Just that it's hotter than before. I would actually really just call it warm. I know I'm being vague, sorry.

just got a t60 with a messed up screen. is there a way to find out exactly which replacement screen i should order without taking it all apart right now?

it may be overkill since the x220 isnt very big. but i have a mission workshop rambler and i love it. i cant imagine ever needing to replace it. its built super well and can expand to fit a ton of stuff in it.

no wonder synaptics software is so shit, theyre all stoners

is it possible to reset the bios password on a w530 without knowing the password?

I bought a t420s on ebay for 130 but the battery lasts about 2 hours with wifi on. I bought a third party battery for 20 bucks

How fugged am I?

Name the laptop Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Is it really that bad? Shelling out 110 for an oem battery sucks. I think I'm just going to resell the laptop.

>Shelling out 110 for an oem battery sucks.
I agree but don't you think that $20 is too cheap even for chinese standards?

My Chinese t420 9-cell was $50 and it's been working perfectly for a while.

Oh well I guess. I'll just use my awful Chinese battery to burn down my uni.

Spilled milk wit hcereal on my X1 carbon 3gen. What the fuck do I do

Install Gentoo.

Still working on the script for the ThinkPad history video

Been busy with work and some misc laptop work, I have been slow at research with somewhat bad productivity and info management...

Dwelved a bit too much on getting info of laptops and luffa led produced before IBM sent out the first type 2521 ThinkPad, then the clamshells they made months later.

Although I think it would be good to get info on machines prior to IBM launching the ThinkPad, competitors, new companies emerging (Compaq, Sharp, Toshiba), Technology advancements/firsts (gas plasma display, bubble memory, GUI, Internet) and OS/software development...

Getting a lot of info, surprisingly GRiD met with IBM either before or after they met with Bill Gates, GRiD had their own GUI being made (a decade later GO Corp would do the same with PenPoint OS).

I just want to get some comparisons because I would think if it is just IBM's only it would be boring, especially when the PowerBook line, Toshiba Satellite/Librettos, HP Jordana, and even some Dells at the time were pretty neat.

Since I kinda do a tear down and review of laptops I'm flipping or collecting, I think it would be good if I add a video dedicating information about the 'history' of that specific laptop(s), then go into price speculation and mods.

My vids won't be as great as Kim Justice, LGR or Obsolete Geek.

Turn it off, open it up, disconnect the battery, flip it upside down, let it dry a day or two, then clean with alcohol if you see spots on the mobo.

8 laptops I've had used 3rd party.

Haven't had a problem.

what have other anons done with the shitty faux-speaker-stickers on T420?

Thats where the speakers actually are though user. And they are metal grilles not stickers.

It's probably easier if you bought a bios chip and soldiered it.
There is a tweezer trick that might work if you get it right.
Or it won't, like it happened to me.
Luckily we KXM2 here

Look up the model type so you can find the screen res you need.
Then from there, you kinda need to do some FRU hunting to find which screen you'd want.

From what I remembered, T60 didn't care what screen you had, even if wrong size and aspect ratio.

3.11 Rush 24. X220 should be able to fit in the hidden pocket on the back, books in the main pouch, air horns in the top pocket.

Never heard of the issue, I wouldn't care.

Try it, see if you like it.
Someone said an i7 X220 runs too hot.
IMO i7lm 2540p Elitebooks weren't that special, but the customer was sold at $130 hahaah

Changing the thermal paste should do the trick. Had a mint 8760w for awhile, it was a beautiful machine to use. Had the 2nd lowest GPU, an ATI I think, ran gud, but I don't think it was ever used, which is why.

i5 is where it's at for a X230, do you really want less battery life and more throttling? :P

false. the speaker is only about 1/2 inch high at the top of the sticker

i peeled mine off cos theyre really dirty. gonna get some new ones

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

I have to decide between a t430 i5 8 ram and a x230 i5 4 ram. What should I consider when choosing between them? I've always used 14" screens, but the extra weight makes me doubt. Is the x230 strong enough to survive rough play from car drivers (I ride a bike)?

Well, the T430 has more RAM, you should take that into account regarding the price.

> I've always used 14" screens, but the extra weight makes me doubt.
What extra weight? Both laptops are not that heavy. The x230 is comfy.

>s the x230 strong enough to survive rough play from car drivers (I ride a bike)?
Yes

Looking for a backpack for my T450s. What would you guys recommend? What do you use? Are Lenovo Thinkpad backpacks waterproof? I was looking at the Essential backpack. How is it?

>What extra weight? Both laptops are not that heavy. The x230 is comfy.
X230: starting weight 1.35 kg (the advertise doesnt say weight)
T430: weight 2.4 kg (the advertise says the weight)

I know I'am a strong alpha male, but I usually carry tons of books too.

It states starting weight because the battery of the X230 adds considerable weight to it. The 1.35Kg figure seems like the X230 with the 3 or 6 cell battery installed.

why thinkpads smell like cum?

we pay extra to the ebay sellers for it

It's not the thinkpads, it's really your breath.

the rubber rails on the hard drive caddy degrading.

waddup

ok, makes sense. Thanks!

I need a new laptop (my x201 died and I am allowed to use subventions to get a new laptop).
I want maximum Linux compatibility so I considered a thinkpad.
I am hesitating between a x260 and a x1 carbon. Which one would be the less painful for the OS of freedom?

Might as well consider a T series since these fuckers are pretty slim nowadays.

On the other hand, when when will dell update their xps 13? I would have got one if it weren't for the adaptive brightness turd they forced on.

> tfw i see pictures of canon Shit-D DSLRs/lenses
Get a 70-200 you cocky prick. Nikon preferably.

> acting like a non-Nikon fanboy

I weighted my X230 for shits and giggles.

>laptop (without battery)
1150g

>9cell battery
550g

>total weight with 9cell
1700g
>total with 6cell (from the internet)
1500g
>total with 4 cell (from the internet)
1350g

Am I not allowed to like Canon and Nikon? Because I do. :^)

Also, this includes a HDD in the drive bay and the mPCI-e slots fully occupied (WI-FI card + mSATA SSD).

Using only an mSATA SSD you could shave off an additional 200~250g

Anyone?

just got mine x200
awesome laptop
going to trannyboot it

great info.

-------------------

There's only one person selling a X220 here (Chile) for like 350 dollars. Most X230 are at 270-300 dollars (yeah shit is expensive around here.) How can someone be so wrong about the price of his/her notebook?

>I paid X amount for it Y years ago so it should be worth Z because I fucking say so.

I received my x220 today after ordering it yesterday. Good condition, apart from a crack on the panel with the touchpad. It got me thinking; are there available any of these panels which don't feature the touchpad? I'd buy one right away.

It also got me thinking; what are some things you do with your X220?

Just ordered a T430 with HD+ and 2,6ghz i5. Shitty hd and 4gb ram which I will upgrade with ssd and more ram that I have at home.
270€ + 25€ delivery from Germany, how did I do?

Depends on the laptop condition, my T430 with HD+, Nvidia gpu, i7 cpu and 6GB ram was 320€ delivered. And it is in great shape.

>one person selling
>why is it expensive
Free market capitalism 101

Seriously. Does no one use a backpack to carry their Thinkpad?

/out/ has a thread literally dedicated to backpacks.

Why would I go to /out/ to ask about a backpack to carry my Thinkpad? Does no one here carry theirs?

I just use my Nike backpack. It has a laptop sleeve in the main compartment, against my back. The bag itself it big, with a load of pockets. I can try to find the product code for you, if you'd like.

Does it have some foam to protect the laptop? Is it waterproof?

It really looks like you should ask /out/.

I use a Billingham bag, works for me and everything else that I lug around

The bag is water resistant, but there's no foam.
Try /out/.

You some kind of faggot, faggot?

I don't like your tone of voice, boy.

Spank me.

In all seriousness though, layers of canvas/waterproof compound and generally indestructible... a fucking load of room to throw stuff in too. Designed to last as they have done for the last 20 years or so.

Just finished installing, configuring and updating XP on an old T42.
I have Xubuntu Core on another HDD and tbqh XP is still more useful and quicker.

My offer was maybe a bit too high, the seller accepted it very quickly even though he had six other offers. We'll see once I get the laptop.

They're like £500 though

I bought the Hadley Large ''''Pro''''' for £220 I think, something like that. I know someone that has had theirs for 13 years and the leather, when treated, still looks great. Solid purchase really... unless you need the support from a backpack.

lol thank god i'm not the only one who has noticed that shit

Can someone please identify the pictured ThinkPad? (sorry for the shit quality)
Also, is there a point in buying ancient IBM models, such as the R51, T40 or 390? People sell them for dirt cheap and I just want to save them from rotting away

Also I'm looking at two x220 offers, one is near brand new with stock components, the other has been used more but had the HDD replaced with a SSD. Both are $230. Thoughts?

And lastly a T410i for $150
>i5 430M @ 2267mhz
>4GB DDR3 RAM
>Intel GMA HD GPU
Anyone?

No

Ok.

just bought the t430, 200 dollars. I hope it lives up to my expectations!

I understand, but don't sweat about it, it wasn't THAT high. Provided that the laptop is in good condition, of course.

>Also, is there a point in buying ancient IBM models
Do you plan on using them?
Are they valuable collectibles?
If you answered "no" to this questions, don't buy them. Hoarding is wrong.

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Oh shit
Did I go a mistake?
I bought X220 with 8gb ram,2,5"SSD and 9cell for 260€
Even tho I could get a hp 2570p 8gb with 120gb ssd for 280€

As for what I haven seen, the hp 2570p is one hell of a laptop and sturdy as fuck.
What are you thoughs on this?

Can anyone confirm ? I have a T540p that has a free m.2 slot 42mm long, I'd like to put an SSD in there, but I've read that it can't be used as boot-drive, is this true ? Is there anything to do or is the only option for SSD is SATA ?

>hp 2570p

doesnt seem to work with linux

What do you mean by this?

because he is the only one selling, damn retarded chileans

Given that they have committed to chickens since the xx30 series of Thinkpads, which were first introduced four years ago, things are not looking good if you like the traditional keyboard.

I'm holding on to my T410 in the desperate hope that the X300 remake comes to fruition.

Looks like a T41 m8

*chiclets

My phone apparently thinks Thinkpads are feather-powered

I want a chicken thinkpad now.

I just got my a new battery for my x220 ebay.com/itm/94Wh-8-4Ah-Genuine-9-Cell-44-Battery-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-X230i-X220-X220i-/131558010725
The case Its starting to split apart on the seam on the back. I dunno if It got banged around in my bag or a battery inflated or what... does anyone know how I can fix this?

2570p is a hell of a moddable laptop, people have stuck quad cores in them

Where are you getting these prices?
I've bought a 250GB 850 Evo, 8GB RAM, and a 2.5" caddy and my 2570p is still just a bit over 300 euros
X220 with a 9 cell would be a great all-day shitposting machine, don't feel bad about it.

What do you mean, it works just fine other than the fingerprint reader.

I'm considering doing this too, but not sure if it's going to be cost effective.

I love my T420s

I had an idea, Would it be safe to fill the cracks with pvc cement?

I would open it up first. If the cells have actually inflated then you might as well drop it over Syria

Upon closer inspection I saw what looked like an impact point so I think it was from me putting my bag down too hard.

But..but.. his identity matters

Would you recommend this backpack for a w520?
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4X40E77324/460/32C550C87DBD4287A539A749B9359EA3

I find it easier to carry it around on my back and I wouldn't carry anything besides the w520, it's ac adapter and an external hdd in it, so a small backpack like this is good enough for me.

>Lenovo backpack
Try hard
Just get a fucking normal backpack

How good are Lenovo backpacks?

I just kinda found this one for pretty cheap and it's a pain to bother looking for something else

idk

>50 dong
>Cheap

I live in Finland
In fact, the guy selling these is about 5km away from me, so it would not be a bother to get there and buy it face-to-face

>What do you mean, it works just fine other than the fingerprint reader.

"hp 2570p linux" on google says that there are several problems. Ubuntu does not have this model in its "certified" list. That makes me say that it's not linux friendly.

Can someone rec me a Wifi card for the x220 with free drivers that is 5ghz compatible?

>use X200
>just bought a P50

Did I fuck up?

The prices seem a bit high, but being able to pick a laptop in person is good. You can probably even haggle for a better battery or something.
These guys usually have good stock and prices... usually
lapstore.de/f.php/shop/lapstore/f/1493/lang/en/kw/HP-Elitebook-2570p-Serie/

Ok I'm telling you it's running great with all distros I've tried, everything works correctly except the fingerprint reader.
It's also supposed to be very easy to install OS X on, but I haven't done that yet.

Just bought an X230 with 8GB ram and 128GB SSD, mint condition.
Going to replace my X200s.
Feels good guys.

Is it bad for your ssd to hibernate?

bump ?

I could have gotten one of these for free from my office, but the cheap Swiss Gear backpack I have carries more and is comfier. So I just got the carry-bag.

Just keep using the X200 when you need to travel, and let the P50 sit on a desk?

There is nothing like a portable workstation, they truly are excellent.

btw has anyone tried modifying a thinkpad nub to use on an hp?

Yeah, it works if you have a sharp knife and some patience.

Toss my old macbook air for a new thinkpad? No refurb memes

how do i change the cpu in a W520?
is there any tutorials on youtube? i cant find any

Cool background

I liked the "exploded" thinkpad wallpapers, but last time I've checked, 430 was the newest model he/they did

I like it user.

Not mine
Its lovely i just cant take the credit

fuck i meant w530

It's just socketed. the hardware manuals tell you how to remove the heatsink safely.

Can i put a old thinkpad keyboard (non chiclet) on the w530?

Possibly. It'll fit, but the seventh row won't work. I know there's a mod for the X230 and T430 that allows full use of the older boards, but I'm not sure about the W530.

>7th row wont work
the one theres the spacebar?
shit

I'm pretty sure the toppest one

I just looked it up: thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

What about the stick?
On my 8560W I can't seem to get tap-to-click working. Or maybe I am just retarded...
That + fingerprint are the only things I can't seem to get to work.

Yes, it will be 99% functional.
The 1% is fn+f12 combination.
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

Are you me? Just copped the same model with exactly the same specs yesterday

I have the opportunity to buy a X201t with a dock, an additional battery and a disk drive for around 200 bucks.

According to the guide, this seems to be a reasonable price, but I'm not sure if it will be useful under GNU/Linux.

Anybody has an experience with Thinkpad tablets and Debian derivatives?

>Ok I'm telling you it's running great with all distros I've tried, everything works correctly except the fingerprint reader.
>It's also supposed to be very easy to install OS X on, but I haven't done that yet.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Many have mentioned to me how poor the hp notebooks fare with linux. I'm glad to hear otherwise.

Islas Canarias? Reminds me of Lanzarote.

Can you lend the flashing equipment to me after that? I've got a T400 to libre.

My both ThinkPads fit nicely into my school backpack - one at a time.

Very high Linux compatibility, Arch and Funtoo are all I run on my more modern ThinkPads.

Saw you say in /bst/ you were gonna post this here?

Would def put on my X220, sadly no more AK though to go with.

Motherficking Germans are trying to fool me on a TN-panel, they've resorted to namecalling (saying removing the panel to get the FRU is an 'not authorized, by Lenovo or us, dismantle of the laptop'). It's literally 6 fucking screws and I replace(d) shit in the T/xX30-models as a fucking living.

Will Ebay let me win this or will I have to live with a shitty IPS-panel (that's actually in quite good condition, compared to the laptop)?

I recently bought a Thinkpad X240 from an eBay store with nearly 100% positive ratings. Everything was as listed, except.

>i5-4300U 1.9Ghz came as an i5-4200U 1.6Ghz
>4GB RAM came as 8GB RAM

Happy for the extra RAM but the processor speed is kind of annoying. Messaged the seller and was given a phone # to call. I did, and was told they were out of machines with the correct processor and was offered a $20 refund (the difference) or a full refund after trading the machine in. I'd just woken up and blindly went with the $20 refund, but as soon as I'd hung up I realized I could have maybe gotten more out of the situation.

Is there anything I can argue for greater returns? I haven't rated them yet, and would be willing to hold that over their heads, as long as I came short of making the customer service reps life miserable.

I didn't return the machine bc I don't have anything else besides a smart phone and need a machine.

Recommend me a good fast chink pad $300 - $500 budget

I just use a dicota backpack with a laptop compartment.
basically use any laptop backpack if you carry any other thing in it or just any backpack if you just carry the laptop.

>fast
anything

even a t400 would be fast with an ssd

I got my first thinkpad today, the x220 model and holy shit this is the first Cred Forums meme that's actually fucking good.

>that sweet keyboard
>that comfy size
>easy to upgrade and clean

Also, any tips for cleaning the plastic on the outide? See pic. The previous owner was a filthy piece of shit. I tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol but it's difficult to remove.

>Is there anything I can argue for greater returns?
You're Jewish, aren't you?
They gave you an offer, you accepted it and now you want more...

Rub it down with olive oil

Is this a trap? I feel like this is a trap.

Are there replacement key caps which can be purchased so I can have swapped Ctrl and Fn keys on my T420? I swapped them in the BIOS, but now it bugs me that the key caps don't match the function.

Yeah, don't do that..

Is trap.

You can try regular degreasers like dish soap. Or try goo gone

Is the X300 still a good machine for light shitposting/text editing and watching Burmese documentaries?

I already have a T420, but the X series are tempting me...

No. It's a Core2Duo that's voltage and clock starved.
Get a regular X series, X201, X220 or X230.

Does anyone else feel that their space bar is "soggy"? I like the keyboard otherwise but the space bar have a completely different feel to it than the rest of the keys.

I want this too.

eBay will probably side with you if the listing specifically specified an IPS panel and you can prove that's not what you got.

Replace the keyboard.

Not that I'm aware of. You could custom order them.

You know I don't use it in Windows so I never thought about it, but no I don't think tap to click works out of the box in Linux.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

It helps if you have a few, I fucked up my first two.

Is it the only option?

I mixed and matched a T42 with a broken T43 so I have one spare cap.
It's probably best to order a few from China I suppose.

Probably. Fortunately, they're cheap if you shop around a bit.

You can get quite the sack for pretty cheap. Check eBay as well if it's economical for you.

Should I buy a X301 wihtout battery for 75€?

Tap-to-click works fine for me in Windows and can be set up via Synaptic driver-thingie.
It's with Linux I have the problem (should have specified that I guess).
The stick is just registered as a 'Generic PS/2 Mouse' so moving cursor + the three buttons above the touchpad work just fine. Tap-the-clit-to-fucking-click does not though and I can't seem to find any option for it. Closest thing I came to finding a solution is two or three forum posts from ~2012 all with zero replies :D

Idea for sloppy workaround: find some stickers with 'Fn' and 'Ctrl' printed on them and slap them on the appropriate key.

btw I have to say that 16:9 is an insult

Sounds decent if it's in good condition, but what is your intended use?

Can someone here recommend me the T420 equivalent workstation tower?

What distro, and have you installed any ThinkPad specific packages your distro may offer?

>find some stickers with 'Fn' and 'Ctrl' printed on them and slap them on the appropriate key

Yeah, I figured it would come to this. I guess that's not so bad.

I'm often annoyed that Lenovo has offered me no serious upgrade plan in the last 5 years.

Problem is I need a Swedish(or similar, e.g. german) version. Are they safe to buy from the Chinks? Does the X220 version fit the T420?

*buntu, SUSE (both Leap and Tumbleweed), Arch, pretty much everything.
And no, no Thinkpad packages. We are talking about Elitebooks, not Thinkpads.

It works just fine on my Thinkpad were the stick is registered correctly.

I've bought two US keyboards from China that claimed to be official Lenovo, and they both were. Try to check seller ratings, on a site that isn't the sellers if possible.

My bad, got a bit distracted.

It's a generic PS2 mouse here too, and I can't really set up the sensitivity and acceleration to my liking, if it wasn't for the absolutely great touchpad I'd be pissed.
By contrast the old T42-s stick just works in both XP and Xubuntu.

How do you know if they are real or not? Do you feel the quality difference?

A T420.

I got this backpack pretty cheap

I enjoy it

The labels match up with real ones, and they both feel the same as my known real ones.

What's a good place to get a real t61 keyboard to swap into a t400?

Also does anyone know if a t9900 works on a libreboot? I just bought my kit and then realized the CPU I have is shit

Yeah, maybe I will buy some. Found some Danish ones that would probably suit me.
Are the knockoffs garbage?

Generally, yes.

Holyshit I never thought reinstalling windows was such a pain in the arse. I actually cant find a way to do it

T420 + quad core i7 + eGPU

I have a GPU to drop in, I was hoping for a tower. I don't need a laptop but I'd like to buy a quality off-lease business machine.

How so? You only install W7, drivers and update via wsus offline updates.

Or better yet, don't update at all.

This may seem an odd suggestion, but a used server (in the form factor you desire) off eBay might fit your needs.

>his/her
Fuck off with that SJW bullshit
Either make it sexless [... the price of their notebook] or assume the seller is male or female, but do not use that his or her bullshit, I hate it

Are thinkstations what I should be looking for then? How does Lenovo/HP/Dell compare with those?

I dont know. I bought this thinkpad secondhand and need to reinstall windows or get it to factory setting. When I hit reinstall windows I get this message of files needed that arent found

How powerful of a system are you looking for? Heres a few decent looking ones:
ebay.com/itm/IBM-SYSTEM-X3500-M3-SERVER-XEON-SIX-CORE-E5645-2-40GHz-12GB-RAM-NO-HDD-/281914955849?hash=item41a370d849:g:hUYAAOSw0UdXty~W

ebay.com/itm/IBM-x3200-M2-Tower-1x-E3110-3-0ghz-Dual-Core-4GB-RAM-2x-160gb-SATA-/172347703459?hash=item2820b940a3:g:qVoAAOSwgApW~BHb

ebay.com/itm/IBM-7977AC1-X3500-Tower-Server-CTO-0x0-zj-/351779973835?hash=item51e7b86acb:g:7qQAAOSwddNXgmQL

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-System-X-X3100-M5-5457efu-4u-Mini-tower-Server-1-X-Intel-Xeon-E3-1231-/232086557060?hash=item36096fd184:g:Q~wAAOSwsN9XALRq

Does anyone own the p40? What do we think of them?

Just get an iso of the same version and do a clean install.

I hope I'm not asking the impossible here...
Budget $200 chinkpad with 8GB RAM already loaded in? Preferably off eBay

I tried but that failed when typing the key on the microsoft site it just said error and I have a special type or something like that might be because of tablet version

I would. The Thinkpad forums have detailed info on the swap.

Ask in forum.thinkpads.com/ which is the grail of Pad info for all models.

That's uh, a little bit more hardware than I want. A single CPU and PSU would be fine. :D

>Fuck off with that SJW bullshit

Acually, that's a problem of english (and german), this does not happen in spanish, italian, portuguese or french.

I would use spivak "Eir", but is not standard (there are many other options too, which makes it harder to decide on the convention.)

And I was taught to use his/her since I was taught english, the same way as to write "it belongs" and not "it belong"

But that's the correct way to use it, user.
While you could assume the gender, using "their" is technically incorrect. It's not even gender politics, it's just a general rule in English.

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Thinkpad-2630-701C-Laptop-Butterfly-Keyboard-360MB-12MB-/272391587969?hash=item3f6bcdc881:g:p54AAOSw8w1X6U02
Good deal?

Used X1 Carbon for $300. Should I cop?

The second and last links fit that criteria.

Looks pretty beat up.

Has anyone here replaced the motherboard in an x200t with an x201t motherboard? Was it worth the extra cost/effort?

Just got myself a t430 with 1600x900 screen, 240gb SSD, 8gb of RAM and the 3rd gen i5 cpu for 240 bucks. I'm absolutely in love with this machine.

Now how the fuck do I properly use this clitoris mouse?

hell yeah nigga

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Core-i5-2-5Ghz-HD-12-Display-8GB-RAM-Webcam-320GB-Win-7-/141737719128?hash=item210039f558:g:m7kAAOSw7s5XgxJU

Maybe?

disable the trackpad in the bios for 2 weeks.

Disable the trackpad and use the clit exclusively for a week. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

When I use the open source Nvidia driver, GNOME performs like garbage but there's no screen tearing. When I use the proprietary driver everything is quick, but it tears no matter what I do. I think this window has something to do with it, because on my other PC with a 770 shows the correct info on this page. I'm using a 940MX on a Thinkpad T460p, if that helps. I regret even paying extra for this GPU at this point, it's a power sucking pain in the fucking ass.

It is SJW bullshit. This is a recent development. When I was taught English in school back in 1998-2001, it was just "his". Done deal. Only recently have they made it that you can't use him or his, and have to specify "his or her" etc etc. I hate it and restructure my sentences into the plural form to avoid it as much as possible

Who else is running OSX on their dankpad?

I have it installed on my ultrabay drive but never use it.

Woops, you're right. Thanks.

Use Full Composition Pipeline.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2jsZVXxYg

Installed it for funsies, someone thought OSX was a million times better than Win7 and macbook is worth money etc etc
So I got OSX and tried it out. I still don't think it's worth paying for the system, but it's alright for shitposting

I have a x200t and an SSD was a great upgrade (typically the best thing you can do to older notebooks, and portable to a newer one when you upgrade) but x 201 system boards are about fifty bucks and complete X201s are about 110 bucks with no OS and needing the usual caddy (cheap) etc so fifty bucks is IMO well worth it if you want one.

I'd do it if the parts were free and I've built lots of Thinkpads from wreckage. From what I've read the i7 boards run quite hot but the i5 are decent.

Yeah, i dont like it ebcasuee xubuntu is faster and i can use both my external monitors without fucking with kexts.

Again, you're not forced to specify it.
Their is technically incorrect as it is a plural and has been taught that way for as long as I know, both for natives and ESLs, although the debate over a singular they existed for a long, long time.
Usage of his/her combined isn't forced and actually rarely used, but it is still correct and often just a "polite" way people write certain pronouns whenever the gender is unclear as other languages use "his" simply because the general term used for that one person is masculine (and english doesn't have word genders)
honestly, it's not a big deal, and I've never seen SJWs even mention it

I wrote a bit too much for a simple offtopic post, my bad

In the video, he says to change the line according to what connector is being used, but part of my problem is that it doesn't even detect a screen.

What chinkpad?
Any good budget chinkpads that can run and handle macOS/OS X? talking $200 - $400 budget

Now this happens when I try to switch back to the Nvidia card from the Intel one. I fucking give up. I honestly might just take the dick and install Windows.

fug. I forgot the picture.

X131e (11.6")
-i3-3227U
-4GB RAM
-Intel HD 4000

or

X220 (12.5)
-i5-2420m
-4GB RAM
-Intel HD 3000

I want the graphical power and portability of the X131e but I also want the original Thinkpad keyboard and authentic Thinkpad experience of the X220.

What do?

X220 or X230.

x220 seems like a no brainer, the i5 is more powerful from what I can tell.

Well, I've identified ID, manufacturer, and FRU, which cause the germans to go b-but you cannot remove the panel to take photos!! While they keep relying on the modelnr and Lenovos catalogue

You can do whatever you like with it once it's in your possession, it's not your fault they swindled you with the wrong panel. Any warranty they offered means jack shit anyway as they sent you the wrong product. File a dispute with eBay if they won't play ball, tell them all of what you're telling us.

Is a x201 worth the investment for 140? I plan on using it for the next 4 years for university, so just presentations, office applications, and Web browsing, thats about it

Im a poor fag so im really trying to get the best deal for myself since it would be almost 17 hours of pay (8.20/hr)

$140
I5 DC 520 M 2.4 Ghz
320 gb hdd
4 gb of Ram

Win7Pro

Free shipping

Or

104.99 + (unknown shipping - gotta ask seller)
I5-540m 2.53 Ghz
8 gb of Ram
320 gb

"Battery may need to be replaced"
Battery life not tested

Great condition

Both include ac adapter

Is the xx30 Nvidia NVS 5400m any good for light gaymen?
>inb4 gaming on a laptop
I know, but I found one for the same price as a T420 in mint condition, the T430 im considering has the 1600x900 panel and the discrete gpu, just wondering if it's much of an improvement over my T520 with hd 3000, it has taken a beaten though so I want to know if the chiclet keyboard and scuffs are worth it.

You don't need a fucking FRU. Just tell them to take a photo of the screen with the Windows desktop and the screen tilted back like 60 degrees.

If the colors look right then it's IPS.

If they don't get you a photo or it's TN then just walk.

You accepted the offer. Now be honorable, and honor it.

obv depends on shipping, but 2nd is better, battery unlikely to be that good on 1st one too.

Also consider how much you'll be using it. Worth spending $ on something you'll be spending so many hours with

The seller broke the agreement by sending a different item than advertised. The buyer can and should renegotiate, or just return it.

What I did was take the Ctrl from the right side of the keyboard and put it where Fn was. Then, I put the Fn key where Left Ctrl used to be. Then, I ordered a new Right Ctrl key for the right side.

There's a bit of a gap between Ctrl and Fn now but you don't see any of the dome or switches through it so it's fine really.

>i3-3227U
What power exactly?

> showing off your glass
> showing off Canon glass

Pic related.

My fans are overheating like crazy. They're so fucking loud it sounds like it's going to blow

what do I do?

God damn it looks dusty as shit with flash. Whatever. I guess I'll never be able to take beautiful shots like you guys with this shitty OnePlus One.

Find out what the fuck is hogging 99% CPU

was thinking we need a name to call ourselves. all the best nerd subcultures have a cool name :D im thinking our name should be ThinkPad Lads !!!!

I understand that this is a joke post but the thought of a ThinkPad specific support service from Lenovo called ThinkLads is honestly stupid enough that some corporate exec out there will definitely purchase it.

Intel HD 4000 > Intel HD 3000

retard here how do I check this?

But the processor itself is ridiculously weaker. You'd pretty much lose any gains.

How about you get an X230 so you can have an HD4000 with a non-shit processor

You're all poor and autistic.

>he posts on Cred Forums
>he thinks he isn't autistic too

The T420 replacement battery has shit reviews online, what would Cred Forums recommend? pic related

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0A36303/460/D91DC49376D94C4690E7BA925BCE90CA#0A36303

Good. Then it is not just me being retarded.
As for sensitivity and acceleration I trust you have tried tinkering with the values (xinput)? Can't remember which and what settings I use. I can check later today if you want.
And yes, touchpad is the tits.

Yes, cause it eats RW cycles. Why not use suspend to RAM?

Buy it from Amazon and make sure it's genuine, stupid. What are you made of money?

RW cycles aren't an issue now. Any SSD in made in the last year or two will have RW cycles that outlive you.

Has anyone with a T510 or T520 with integrated graphics tried the fan mod where you put heatsinks of the discrete models in them? Link related
www.thinkpads.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118901
Mine doesn't exactly overheat but the current fan barely cools.

Anyone?

amazon doesn't ship to my country

I assume all the 70++ would have the same issue though

For MLC SSDs that is probably true, but for TLC SSDs that might be an issue in 5 years. The 850 evo is TLC, which regularly shilled here, so folks should be aware of that.

Repaste, check the order of the heat sink screws.

Already did, the fan just doesn't seem to push enough air and the heatpipe is soldered to an aluminium assembly with the fins. Since discrete models use a one piece copper assemply/heatsink/fins that has an opening at the side and on the back I think it's worth trying. Pic related, the one on the left has the small protruding part on top closed.

I recently purchased the same x201 as well, but with 8GB RAM.
I am going to use it for mainly for school work when I am not at home.

the graphics card are just as good as the intel hd 4000. you will play light games like hl2, css, and maybe some other games in the same catagory

ebay.com/itm/172346480518
damn this one's murdered out. def not worth the $$$ though

All glass is nice.

I want my screen hinges to be tighter on my x220. Is there a tutorial for that?

Is there any way decent way to turn down the mic on T430 on Linux by default? I've noticed on vocaroo that if I turn down the volume with the volume controller on the site the mic doesn't produce ear seppuku tier sound anymore, but other apps like audacity wont let me turn down the sound. Yes I tried alsamixer, but on "internal microphone" it only goes up by 20, and is already at the lowest it can go: In other words alsamixer only makes the mic even louder.

What workarounds have you guys used?

Find your machine here and see if anything backs you up.

lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf

The psref is also useful. Remember "tabook" and "psref" when researching Pads.

I'm new to thinkpads, what are the pros and cons diregarding the good price?

Can it run win7?

Has it arrived yet? How are you liking it for your assignments?

Is everything good on your end? laptop, battery, and charger?

Is this a good deal?

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/perth/laptops/core-i5-4gb-ram-ssd-drive-laptop-notebook-exellent/1125162268

I'd go with the second. RAM is always good. Then later I'd install an SSD as money allows.

Same user here, can a m-2 SSD be inserted to the x201? I have a friend who works in a computer shop who'll give it to me since I helped him with some orders.

Or is that for XX20+?

An ssd might be ideal since itll increase the battery life and less likely to lose my data in general use, plus no moving parts.

Considering the shipping, its nearly 125 in total so thats great for me!

Thanks

You will need to use a 2.5" caddy if you want to use a m.2 sata ssd in your laptop

I see, hmm ill be sure to ask if my friend has one available, thanks for the help!

They are only a few dollars on Ebay if he doesn't have one handy.

Yapo.cl feels. I bought my T410 there.

My T420 is running it, and it is budget

I was thinking of doing that, but was worried about how it would look with the gap. After seeing your photo, though, it looks pretty good. I think I'm going to do this. Thanks mate!

Which guide did you use? I recently picked up a T420 and want to put OSX on one of the drives to use Logic.

Not him, but i used this one and ti works nice.

insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/

>allowing shedding, danderous, possibly pissing animals on top of your electronics

Why do people do this?

Even modern TLC SSDs have very high write limits.

anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4

Even the 850 is on par with hard drive lifespans now, such that you are more likely to have the controller fail on you before cell degredation occurs

Stupid question lads, but is it safe to update the x220 BIOS with the bios update utility from lenovo on windows 10? Windows 10 is not mentioned but 7 and 8 are.

Who dual OS master race?

>just found out that the other memory slot in my t420 is under the keyboard

>already put my spare ram in storage when i went off to college

also where can i get another headphone jack, mine broke after some chink headphones broke in it and i tried getting it out with glue

Gonna chime in. I have a bottle of all purpose cleaner from a company called Chemical Guys. I use the "non-sense all purpose cleaner" with my thinkpad every time I see some type of grime and it'll leave it clean like brand new. Use a microfibre cloth.

Why do you want to "update" (meaning "change") the BIOS if it's working properly now?

If you do change the BIOS, I suggest a "no whitelist" BIOS for a useful upgrade so you are freed from BIOS restrictions.

I update using live CDs or live USB flash drive since reasons don't exist to want to risk my shit flashing via the OS. I've flashed many BIOS with no failures so I stick with what works.

If you work on computers it is wise to have an old, reliable high quality external USB CD/DVDRW drive for things like BIOS flashing (CDs are durable and disposably cheap).

Make SURE you get the correct BIOS for your machine if you have reason to flash it.

Google "X220 no whitelist BIOS" then ensure you have the correct BIOS for your SPECIFIC machine and if not sure, post in a real notebook or Thinkpad forum and ask.

There's lots to learn, but again if you don't need it flashing is silly because your computer is all about YOU.

>not using coreboot
tf are you doing?

Want to buy a t420 in uk? Any recomended seller on ebay?

No, it has not arrived yet.Says it'll arrive in like a week.
>$18 shipping

So I bought a t420 it had the i5 2.6 ghz CPU and 6 GB of ram what are the chances of has the good screen. Because the ad did not have that info and I didnt ask because I'm dumb.

New thread: