Let us talk about email, Cred Forums

Let us talk about email, Cred Forums

I am conflicted. I need to make an email account. I currently have a gmail with a gibberish address, but it has legitimate information on it. I have a fake name under the email itself, but my ebay, paypal, and bank account are all linked to it, and those are the only things I have on it. I do not use amazon, and the bank account is a joint one I made with my parents when I was in high school.

I am not going to add anything else to this email though, and am just going to make a new one, as I need the handle to look more professional as I will soon be working real jobs that aren't shit-tier minimum wage, and I also want to keep things separate.

This is not a personal blog post, I have a point to all of this.
With what provider should a guy entrust his information? We saw that as soon as there was reason to access Lavabit's servers, the authorities were relentless and the owner was forced to shut it down.
Is it smarter to hide in plain sight and keep emails limited on Gmail, or to go to privacy-respecting route but have to worry what the owner will do should push come to shove, or what will happen should it suddenly be shut down?

There is a slight comfort in knowing that you can rely on Google always existing, but it is outweighed by the data-mining they do. I would assume that anything done on google or its services is logged and retained by them for either an extended period, or indefinitely. And you can count on the 3-letters keeping it forever.

However, how could I go and sign up for a service like protomail, when you don't even know if it will exist in a few-years time?

I've always hated having to bump my own stuff, but I'm going to have to in this case.

I guess I could have worded the text in the op better, but why would Cred Forums prefer to talk about >amd >nvidia more so than email security?

Since you'd be doing mainly normie things on it such as job and professional things, I'd say gmail would be a good way to go.

This.

Even if you're a criminal it makes the most sense to use gmail for everyday legal activities. Its MORE suspicious to not.

Kek.
>Its MORE suspicious to not.
Who the fuck cares and why it would be suspicious?

If you seriously care about privacy, host your own.
You can keep your mail server at home even if your ISP blocks SMTP ports by getting a VPS that runs OpenVPN, dialing into that VPN from your mail server VM and port forwarding 25, 465, 587 and whatever else to the VM.

Not him, but I can see normies gears starting to move when your email doesn't end in gmail.com

if you say yahoo.com or hotmail.com it dates you as it is.

I really don't want to go with google because their webmail is such shit, what should your mail name look like for official reasons? Granting that first/last name on email isn't feasible because so many people have taken them.

>host your own

that is really not an option for most of us, I'd like to host my own for shits and giggles and knowing how to do it, but if you want email just to werk you need to go with someone else and privacy shouldn't be an issue anyway you shouldn't be mailing out long letters on it.

With your own server ( and domain) you can have a million addresses linked to your one user account and so you can give each service its own special address to contact you on, making it harder for someone to link your online accounts.
Also, Postfix has a neat feature that lets you delete or alter email headers, letting you delete or spoof the headers telling the receiver the IP from which the mail was sent and the sender's user agent.

Putting together just Postfix and Dovecot with system users is really rather simple and covered in lot of howtos. And the keeping it at home is not really necessary, if you're that paranoid, you can just make your imap client download anything new to a local folder and delete it on the server.

It's not a paranoia thing, this thread is making me wonder what people actually use email for, for what is now two decades, I only have used email for signing up for things, a lot of the things no longer even exist or their databases have been compromised giving out the emails and passwords used, I'm in the process of making fresh account for "official" CV mailing because HR fuckers couldn't care less about leaking your info.

>Not him, but I can see normies gears starting to move when your email doesn't end in gmail.com
nah, they don't really care

Is there any open sores webmail software I can run on my own server if I host my own email?

go with google and keep it strictly for work
if you want into a not retarded it job you should get yourself an own server with a reasonable domain.

what does the webmailer matter?
just use a mailclient

Maybe you havent dealt with normies much.

Because webmail is what I use when I'm at the computer.

is there a reason why you use it?
or is it just "it just werkz"?

Why I use webmail? What else would I use? Email clients? Why??? It's just extra hassle I don't want.

it seems to me like the opposite
an email client runs in the bg you get notifications when you get a mail
you can have several mailsaddresses in there and you don´t have to log on to websites for it

but i guess it´s reasonable enough for why you don´t use them

OP.

Protonmail

Open mailbox

Yandex

>Not him, but I can see normies gears starting to move when your email doesn't end in gmail.com

Maybe, but many professionals have their mail addresses on their own domain.

I'm not sure I would associate with retards like that who flip out (or care) about an e-mail address.

Many large companies, especially financial, don't even allow you to use various google services, because google could read your e-mails or the text you posted into google translate.

I guess that depends on how you intend to use email, if you want to have notifications and that sort of thing, then a client is probably the best, I let my phone serve as a "notification device" if you will, although I really don't need it.

I prefer to use email for what it is for me, electronic mail, anyone expecting a reply within minutes or hours will surely have a surprise coming from me, the minimum reply time for me will be at least 24 hours and I expect the same from anyone who I email as well, but they will receive a reply and that is the least I expect from anyone who I email.

Had a boss wants who expected 24 hour availability by email, that shit got shot down fast.

Is protomail going to last though? Also, what is the catch? Free secure mail in exchange for what?

I guess the catch is that it is extremely limiting if you are an active email user and you'd have to pay at a minimum $50 a year to have a less limiting service, and $300 for unlimited email.

In short, the payers subsidize the free users.