What separates a good CS major from a code monkey?

what separates a good CS major from a code monkey?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-kCQIk5-v1o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fizzybuzzy

Handling fizzbuzz means you're no longer a webdev, but you're still a code monkey

saying "code monkey" enought

Code monkeys are making money before fag cs guys even get close to a diploma.

The more math you do, the less you are a code monkey

the student itself

University only lays traps, obstacles and requirements before students and a means how to achieve it. You are on internet, speaking English: the knowledge is few clicks away from you.

Types of students:
>Why am I here? What am I doing with my life?
>Where are the bitches and beer?
>My parents sent me here.
>What is the bare minimum so I can success?
>Wow, this is really interesting.
>And how exactly does this work?
>I want make the world a better place.

Which one are you?

But a CS major is a code monkey. You're thinking of a CE

>bitches and beer
>very interesting
>how this works

Not OP But as a Freshman in college I am
>Wow, this is really interesting
>And how exactly does this work?
>I want to make the world a better place

>i just want to jack my dick

Im more like this is more interesting than the other majors I could choose and I want to make good money

MOOOOOOOOODS

>>wow this is really interesting
>>programming shit is fun
Unfortunately that cost me all the bitches at beers I could've had. It was worth it but it still feels bad

Is that TCP/IP book worth it? Is there really that much to say about those protocols?

A CS major actually knows math

MFW no CLRS
MFW no k&r

perkele

GASP

You have all these books and you still don't know?

A code monkey has employable skills

youtu.be/-kCQIk5-v1o

>failed all my math courses at least once
>failed calc 1 two times and passed it with a d

i barely know math and i got my degree lmfaooo

A code monkey can fizzbizz, get a job, and isn't in crippling debt.

>Algorithms : Java Pajeet Edition

Discard opinion.

Pass Tech Math. Get degree. Use calculator.

If you look carefully, that's actually only Vol. 1 of the series (of 3).

The whole set goes into implementations and application layer protocols, but things really aren't laid down quite as succinctly as could be done.

If you ever get that far into network protocol theory and design, you'll probably start hating TCP for the creaking pile of shit it has become (and always was, to a large extent).

Also, APUE sucks in this day and age and you would probably be 10x better off with a copy of Kerrisk's The Linux Programming Interface.

an understanding and interest in the underlying theory and inner workings.

A code monkey has useful skills. A CS major just spergs about muh finite state machines and never gets hired because of autism.

Code monkeys just execute. CS majors engineer THEN execute (yes, you have to do both you fucking retards, you can't just theorycraft all day).

All those books are outdated desu

Just get a good book on JavaScript ES6

Learning languages beyond web development.
Understanding the underlying architecture of computers, allowing one to better program them.

If your degree doesn't require you learn assembly, find a better degree.

How is knowing assembly going to help me write Angular apps?

a good CS major knows his shit, and can be a more specialized code monkey

Nobody needs another implementation of quicksort.

Knowing how the underlying system works allows you to code more efficiently. The more efficiently you code, the quicker everything runs, the less likely your customers are to be pissed, the more money you make.

Why would you want to suck? Why would you want to get a full on CS degree if you dont give a shit about computers and just want to make web apps? Do you hate yourself?

a security clearance

actually reading all of those books

TBQH if you want to do web just quit CS. I normally tell off the idiots who think college is a meme, but in this case it's actually not going to do you any good. Just build a portfolio of CRUD apps and go get hired.

Computer books from the 90s, from the look of it

Code quality

Abstract Algebra. The topic itself is sort of unnecessary for computer science but it has two important benefits to a computer scientist.

First learning important mathematically based topics will be faster and easier as much of what you will see in CS are special cases of what you in Algebra.
Second what really separates the wizards from the monkeys is how well you can deal with abstraction. Abstract Algebra gives you really good practice in dealing with abstract concepts.

this

hot damn ce is going to be the hacker's choice when iot really starts to take off

you're better off reading rfcs and digging through wireshark sample captures

>books owned but never read.jpg

the ability to analyze from business perspective. you don't have that, you're code monkey.

>tfw TS

To begin with, let's just get back on track with definitions.

I've known cum laude CS graduates who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag, and I've known people that barely graduated high school who got really into programming in their free time and ended up being excellent software designers; one is a lead Architect at a national level company.

Sure, there's some correlation, but a diploma doesn't save a person from being a "code monkey", nor does a lack of one doom them to that label.

In theory, what elevates someone above code monkey is that they have a handle on fundamental design criteria and choices. I mean that's why the word is what it is: a code monkey is basically copying and pasting snippets of code they've learned by rote and that they barely understand until they get the right pieces in the right order to pass QA.

A pretty strong correlation (stronger than that with a CS degree) is that code monkeys do front end code and others (code apes? code sapiens? code people?) design and implement back ends.

>projecting this hard

>code apes? code sapiens? code people?\
They're called programmers.

Assembly isn't how the underlying system works. If you want to know what then you better start learning quantum physics.

>They're called programmers.
But they are coders. Never write the whole program, just the module they are given the specs for. They usually have little idea, if any, what the whole program is about.
A guy I worked with was on the team that did the OS/2 LAN Manager and he had little idea of what the rest of the OS was about until it was released internally.