Why haven't you founded a tech startup, Cred Forums?

Why haven't you founded a tech startup, Cred Forums?

Pick two random social media sites/"apps", and combine them. Tinder meets Kickstarter, Pokemon Go meets Soundcloud, Grindr meets Twitter, etc, then code a minimal website and ask for money. It doesn't matter if the website is successful or even functional, because everyone knows investing is risky.

The one motherfucker on SoundCloud instead of coding

>coding

>developing

Because most startups suck money from people and then fail leaving everyone out of pocket.

Me and a work friend actually are. We are tired of our company that is getting more corporate by the day, more useless PO's coming in and out, piling tech debt. We want to be at the top instead.

That looks like a horrible place to work. I hate the open office meme so much. I hope I never have to work in one. I've managed to avoid them so far.

Instead of hearing occasional conversations, no, you get the hear the entire fucking room conversing. And half of those conversations won't even be work-related. There's going to be some dumbass talking about his kid's hockey league, like anyone gives a shit.

It just screams lazy and cheap. It's basically the office version of a sweatshop.

What do you mean?

Most startups fail, and the majority of people who have built a startup into a company, and especially those who have failed, will honestly profess this.

Good startups, the ones that survive to have a decent-but-not-great acquisition (or even some acqui-hires) are elaborate strategies for catapulting the founders from the middle class into the upper class on the backs of investors and less ambitious members of the middle class.

Great startups survive and succeed to become companies. Normal companies where people do normal work. This is where the majority of value gets produced for everyone, but it is the most difficult to achieve.

There's such a thing as "startup culture", ie. young people trying to goad investors into funding their impossible dreams. They have a whole culture around this kind of stuff, with seminars, TEDx talks, life-coaching and so on.

Disgusting

Search youtube for videos related to startups, and you'll begin to see the same people in seminars, giving "life-changing advice" and all that jazz. Sometimes I leave one of those playing in the background while I do work stuff, because those guys are too fucking delusional.
You can learn a lot about identifying those kind of people with dreams too big for their heads, too.

No, it's worse than a sweatshop.

At least sweatshops are loud enough that you don't have to hear the stacys 3 rows away gossiping about their fucking weekend.

Do these startups just hire anybody?

What do the people who work for them usually do after the startups they work at fail?

Start another one.

Does working at startups give anyone skills that are transferable? What do most of the workers do?

It's just like working anywhere else. Small companies or start ups can be more personable, hopefully you get along with your 5-10 other coworkers because that's all you have. Expect to do jobs beyond your job description to support the company. If it fails that's it, gotta look for something else.

The word you're looking for is "working"

One motherfucker on SoundCloud instead of working

>soundcloud devs
>everyone else was looking at the latest systemd source code

I have no idea whatsoever how to make money as a web dev.

I am a failure.

>Check out my mixtape senpai

You mean helping put backdoors in systemd, right?

putting a webpage on the internet isn't a startup, you dumbfucks

Just like op

The startup culture has been oversaturated with wannabe tech rockstars. You know, those recent CS/engr grads who want to "disrupt" with an idea and ask for thousands of dollars in invenstment. They spend the money on the coolest offices and toys (even houses!) but end up doing nothing and folding. Why do investors keep falling for this meme? How do we stop it?

>Why do investors keep falling for this meme?
Because they keep making money off of it?

Shut up frog I am l33t koder hax

>Pokemon Go meets Grindr

Fucking perfect. Brb, gonna make an augmented reality app for gays to collect semen candy by catching semen from other gays that tracks hip thrusting movements and lets you get sex toy prizes after your hips have moved a certain distance. Users' phones will vibrate when they're near another user with the app, and when the point the camera around, it'll show a dick sticking out of the other guy's pants spraying cum everywhere. Instead of those lure locations, users can pay money to set up a lure anywhere they want, but it'll show their profile and when they get "caught" (AKA engaging in homosexual intercourse), the lure will go away, but the catching user gets extra semen candy.

>tfw want nothing more than to be a normie in SF exchanging my weekend went with Stacy

There are women, stupider than you that make a living doing this. If I were you, I'd try meetup.com
If there happens to be a WeWork or other coworking space near you, I'd invest the ~$200 /month for a 24/7 pass where you can hangout in the lounge all day enjoying the free coffee / tea / beer (yes, WeWoek has free beer) and say hi to people / ask them what they do. If you're genuinely there to hangout / work on hobby projects, chances are you'll at least end up getting a referral.

>you will never care as much about your appearance as the people in this photo

>be rich guy
>hear about this facebook meme
>get together with other millionaires in california
>invest in companies that sound like they might be good

everyone knows as you get better at programming your appearance gets exponentially more suave, attractive, and appealing.

>SEA OF MACS
why tho?

Most "web" startups are hosted on Linux servers. Thus better to be familiar with a *nix environment than Windows. Linux is too obscure for most of them to bother with, they want something they can throw money at and get a working machine. Hence, *nix-like OS X is good enough for the job. Maybe not perfect, but good enough.
Unix + "aesthetics"

competent programmers use osx or linux

apple laptops have significantly better build quality than most other brands

thats literally it

This guy knows what he's talking about w.r.t. paying for a coworking space, being casually social while working on a few side projects, and getting a recommendation to a place.

>who want to "disrupt" with an idea and ask for thousands of dollars in invenstment.
You're not wrong, but you're also a little uninformed. You can't disrupt shit with thousands of dollars. Getting investment is a shallow fucking game full of bullshit signaling just like dating is, and asking for too low of an investment is a signal that you're not dreaming big enough. Two companies chasing similar markets, both with equally strong teams and some initial traction, one asking for $600K and the other asking for $3MM, the latter gets the money they ask for. Maybe at bad terms, but they get the money The team asking for 600K? Maybe, maybe not. But the guys "swinging for the fences" will get something.

>why tho?
those are not webapps.

this makes sense.

>those are not webapps.
What are you talking about? Which "those" are not webapps? I said "most web startups are hosted on Linux servers", ergo my statement contains the specific parameter that I am discussing webapps. If you mean the picture? I can't guess what they're working on, but fifty-fifty odds it involves the web in some way, and 90% odds if it is, it's hosted on Linux servers.

>the web
I think you mean the cloud

>MUH LINKEKS SERVERS
they don't even see those if they deploy on AWS, Heroku etc.

because they're good unix boxes for development

See pic.

And they can't develop locally (without resorting to a VM) if they aren't running something vaguely Unix-like. Yes you could use Docker these days, but the majority if people still don't, especially with Docker changing their mind on how everything works every-other release. I work at a startup, currently floating around 20 people, not counting interns. We deploy to Heroku. Here's our OS breakdown by role:

All of our front-end guys who probably fit your description of "don't even see those" Heroku servers? They all use OS X so they can run a competent dev and test environment locally.

All of our back-end devs run either OS X or Linux. Zero Windows. All the Linux machines are Thinkpads.

We have 3 designers, two run OS X, one runs Windows but also has a Macbook Air he sometimes uses.

Our biz-dev and marketing teams are split 50/50 Windows and OS X, though the guys who spend more time in Excel definitely use Windows.

Our sales team is split 50/50 as well, Windows and OS X, except one dude who uses a Chromebook, because frankly he is our best sales-bro and is on the phone 90% of his day anyway. His computer is just an email machine that helps get him on the phone again, as best I can tell.

>Tinder meets Kickstarter
How would this work? Crowdfunded dates?