>Install Linux on shitty old netbook that could barely handle Windows XP
>Works right away and its fucking amazing

>Install Linux on ultra high end gaymer PC
>It barely functions and is complete shit

Fucking Linux how does it work

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/270
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Keep installing different distributions. You're bound to find out that way.

magic

It's because Linux is made for poor people.

It's easy to make everything work when there's almost nothing to make work because you have no software.

>install a different Linux distribution on my Chromebook (ChromeOS is Linux too)
>not all the hardware works
>it's a pain in the ass to even get the keyboard to work
How? Why wouldn't the drivers work on both OSes (GalliumOS and ChromeOS) since they're both Linux based?

Poor people don't have the free time to maintain a Linux computer. Most Linux users are actually big corporations using them for servers and stuff.

Running Xubuntu from a piece of shit Acer laptop with around 2 gigs of ram and a 2010 Intel Atom right now. Shit's amazing.

>>Install Linux on shitty old netbook that could barely handle Windows XP
>>Works right away and its fucking amazing
Things that don't happen thread?

Just install your favorite distro and download and install the drivers you're missing yourself.

it cant be that hard to use the terminal and google some Pajeet's blog that has the instructions, man..

I dunno man, Linux just amazingly breathes life into old hardware. You might have to tinker around a bit once you first install it though.

It's probably why the official Linux machine of Cred Forums is a laptop from 2004

>Install linux distro with PROPRIETARY NVIDIA DRIVERS
>install wine, configure the fuck out of stuff
>run majority of windows games at full speed on linux with minimal issues
whats so hard?

Chromebooks have special hardware and software locks to ensure that you can't install any non-google software on them. There have been hacks for certain models but in the end they were mediocre.

Same shit happened to me. I used to run Ubuntu on a Pentium D, but when I upgraded my PC to a i5 650 it started have performance problems.

Gosh. This thread is full of shills.

I think people overstate how "amazing" Linux is on low end devices. It still takes a second or two to open even the file explorer on my netbook (Lenovo N22 running GalliumOS). Web pages take a while to completely load. Etc etc. It's definitely faster than Windows on comparable hardware, I'm not denying that, but it's not a miracle either.

There's fuck all about the N22 on the internet, I've been looking. I regret buying this POS so much, I got it because it was the cheapest Chromebook with 4gb ram I could find at the time, but it's not mainstream enough to have much support. From what I understand, the problem with the driver I'm talking about (audio) is related to the kernel, and ChromeOS uses an older kernel than GalliumOS and something broke the audio on the newer kernel. I'm no expert, so don't quote me on that, but I still can't just download and install the drivers and install them myself.

It's a miracle of speed in that it cuts overhead. If you decide to run something that takes a lot of other delays (disk i/o), it's going to be delayed.

What you're probly going to do is ask lenovo to write a driver module for your new kernel or hope that the licenses on galliumOS and chromeOS were such that they are obliged to instead just give you the source for it. Then hope they do so instead of deciding to take it to lawsuits.

thats a Chromebook, Chromebooks are new
Linux only works well on old an busted hardware, its strange

>What you're probly going to do is ask lenovo to write a driver module for your new kernel or hope that the licenses on galliumOS and chromeOS were such that they are obliged to instead just give you the source for it.
To be honest, I'm still a linux novice and I'm just going to wait for other people to fix the issue because I know they are working on it. I found this when poking around looking for solutions, github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/270 , so I know people are working on it and they seem confident that they can fix it in time.

The community has to double all the work of normal manufacturers and developers cause they'd rather not share anything. Then everyone has it for free forever.

It's just the proof hardware corporates and windows try to cheat competition.

Minecraft doesn't even get a stable 30 fps on my netbook running Linux, Linux is shit.

Old hardware has been on the market to have had drivers figured out for it, even reverse engineered in a lot of instances.

New hardware does not have that benefit and is increasingly hostile to open source development

>install linux

Sure beats installing microsoft.

The more time the open source programmers have to tune their hacked drivers to work on a piece of hardware, the better Linux gets. Linux ages like a fine wine, or cheese.

Also, Microsoft has a bunch of backroom deals so that companies will release broken as fuck drivers to Linux, because otherwise Windows just can't compete. Fuck. I was full time Linux for five years. I'm only on it for a few games that I am enjoying right now, and once I tire of them, I'll go back to full time Linux. No ragrets.

>Not installing Darwin
get with the times pajeet

lol i don't even want the games that are on windows that i can't play on linux, they're not as good as older windows games that do + mods.

It’s the Nutshack! (Yee, yee)
It’s the Nutshack! (What he say?)
It’s the Nutshack! (Oh, yes! Yeeeah)
It’s the Nutshack! (Hey, I got the Nutshack!)
It’s the Nutshack! (‘The fuck you say, boyee?)
It’s the Nutshack! (It’s the Nutshack!)
It’s the Nutshack! (It’s the Nutshack!)
It’s the Nutshack! (It’s the Nutshack…)
It’s the Nutshack! (Hey!)
It’s the Nutshack! (Piece a’ nuts!)
It’s the Nutshack! (Whoooa!)
It’s the Nutshack!
Hoo-ugh!
Phil’s from the stone, Jack’s from the pier,
Horatio or Horat so beer!
Tito Dick “Dickman”, baby!
He hates Phil and loves the ladies.
Jack’s cool-ass lazy, he’s still learnin’.
Number one Cherry Pie, still a virgin.
Chita, meet da freak of da weekah!
Phil’s homegirl that Jack wanna keep her,
But that’s not happenin’, either!
Shakin’ like a seizure, hold up, boys
and spark this, take a breather.
With that reefer in my lungs,
I got grapes, what you watchin’, son?
It’s the Nutshack! (Yah!)
It’s the Nutshack! (AAAAARRRGH!)
It’s the Nutshack!
It’s the Nutshack!