Live in Canada

>live in Canada
>have computer on (barely insulated) room besides me, with cables running through the walls into my bedroom.
>room is always cooler/hotter than my room
>winter's coming

so anyway, would I fuck up my computer by leaving it in that room through the winter? it gets pretty fucking cold in here, a few weeks of -25C during jan-feb. Would this fuck up my computer? I have a coupla SSDs and a single HD. The room does stay somewhat warm but that's just residual heat seeping through. It has no radiator

tl;dr: would leaving a computer runnin in a barely insulated room through a Canadian winter fuck it up?

yes

are you gonna leave it on?

its not the temperature, but the moisture.

Living in Canada myself, I don't know how good of an idea that would be. It gets cold as fuck in the winter and if the room has no insulation it might be too cold. I think even if it's on 24/7 it might still not be enough.

>Canada
Move to states, it's nice and warm here.

y tho

no, I will use it every day tho

winters are dry as fuck here, only gets moist if there is a freak hot front that melts the snow in the middle of winter (it happens) or during spring

lolno

You've done what I have except I drilled through the floor and put my computer downstairs. It's a smart move OP. It makes for absolute silence.

Can be a little annoying having to go to your computer when you want to do something with it though but it's worth it.

I'd worry about it getting that cold with the moisture etc.

Put a heater on or box your computer into some insulated sealed box you've jerry rigged idk man!

If it gets that cold, maybe.
Depending on how moist the air is, you might end up with condensation as the cold air gets mixed with your heat dissipating warm bits, and that's what can (and will) fuck your hardware up.

The temperature on its own is fine.

>box your computer into some insulated sealed box you've jerry rigged idk man!

this is what I thought too

so basically, a mixture of cold air, moist environment (ie snow melting/wet snow rain) could fuck it up.

mmmmmm I amost want to bring the computer into my bedroom now :(

>Coupla
You from northen Ontario? Or Newfoundland?
Real talk though it would, my younger siblings had theirs in an upper floor space similar to yours and it died because of the moisture. They even went as far as sealing it in a small air tight cupboard when they where done with it.

Tldr: Old man moisture will kill it.

>winters are dry as fuck here, only gets moist if there is a freak hot front that melts the snow in the middle of winter (it happens) or during spring
You'll have to worry about static. Make sure you ground the case.

The biggest concern is with moving parts. Hard drives and fans fail quickly if they get too cold.

Cold air has less moisture in it, hot air absorbs moisture.

You only have to worry about condensation when the air is warmer than the parts.

Jesus fucking christ people.

NEBC here.

Have a server rack in a bad spot. We get low temp alarms at 5C, usually when it is -35C. No insulation below the server rack.

Management doesn't care to fix it. Seems they are correct in their thinking. Running 5 years strong.

Why hasn't Gates idea of creating decentralized server farms for heating hasn't taken off?

Probably because its a stupid impractical idea.

>a stupid impractical idea.

What is a stupid impractical idea is building server farms in hot weather climates and then spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to cool them.

Actually the opposite is true.
You build them in the desert because you can buy solar generated power cheap and it costs less to cool them.

you realize that server farms need to work at night too.
Utilities aren't going to cut you a daytime rate.

But as a rule, they don't do that.

Do you honestly think its cheaper to retrofit buildings in populated areas to contain a few racks, paying public utility rates for power and cooling?

Its cheaper to buy land dirt cheap in the desert and use hydroelectric wind solar whatever.

Network requirements.

Fuck yeah its cheaper, you know why? Because generally speaking the infrastructure in rural america is shit at gold tier prices.

Your savings on "infrastructure" by building in rural america are nullified by the high cost of electricity/water/internet because you're in the middle of BFE.

tfw canadian
tfw comfy

Should be fine if its running 24/7 and doesn't form condensation, use speedfan or similar to reduce or stop fans to keep it at a warmer temp could help fight condensation. Set the fans to only come on when tempuratures go above 40c or so