To the webm encoder guy

To the webm encoder guy,
Why are you using multiple frames for your webms? If you are making a two-second webm (good practice, as some browsers get confused by very short loops), you can set the framerate to 0.5fps and save even more bandwidth

this file was encoded with the invocation
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i maki\ is\ cute\ 548.png -c:v vp8 -qmin 4 -qmax 6 -minrate 40M -maxrate 40M -t 00:00:02 maki1.webm

See the next post for the same file, encoded with the addition of a framerate argument

ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 0.5 -i maki\ is\ cute\ 548.png -c:v vp8 -qmin 4 -qmax 6 -minrate 40M -maxrate 40M -t 00:00:02 maki2.webm

this is the original file btw

What is the advantage of using minrate and maxrate instead of crf when you have qmin and qmax set?

Makiposter, don't bother with an autist that has higher powerautism level than you

I like her 7 foot long arm.

shit

Fuck I'm dying hahahaha

Kek. was this on purpose?

maki has extremely long arms so that she can touch your heart, wherever you are

Why are you encoding still images as a video at any frame rate?

because its a more optimal method of lossy compression than jpeg, and Cred Forums doesn't support webp

ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 0.5 -i $(find ~/makis/ -iname \*.png | shuf -n1) -c:v vp8 -crf 4 -b:v 9001k -deadline best -t 1 out.webm
Use -deadline best, senpai. It allows ffmpeg to spend longer figuring out the the best way to compress the frame

nice ty

also i didnt know about shuf that's super handy

testing if this one confuses my browser as well, and do

2 seconds seems to be the sweet spot, but it probably shouldn't matter how long it is so long as you set the framerate appropriately

More like -r 1 -t 2, just like THE autist adviced us... The size difference is not going to be that big in theory as the additional frames are just telling the decoder to redraw the first keyframe

Quit giving the shitposter tips

Web guy here: I encode a 2 second video with 1 FPS because it prevents unnecessary high cpu utilization.

What you just did (forcing 1 frame in 2 seconds) can cause high cpu utilization in so.e browsers.

tl;dr better safe than sorry and extram frame is like 1-2KB extra

whoops meant to quote CRF does jack shit in VP8. Changing the qmin/max settings is the best quality control possible in VP8.

You're late. We already started circlejerking without you. At least go get more lotion while we cool down for round 3.

now you're being silly

Original image: click to view it in full size
Webm: click to play/pause

WOW
Useful!

you seem upset

webm bro pls webm this and save me a kb or two if possible.

Okay lotion boy, unzip your pants.

>CRF does jack shit in VP8
Interesting, pic related now with -qmin 0 -qmax 0.

Problem however with these better quality options is that it doesn't really beat jpg in quality for the same file size, it's only in the autismo small files where some benefits could be had and that only benefits those living in US or in other 3rd world nations with trash tier internets

Not sure how many more bytes i can take off this

it looked like shit long ago. just stop

still looks better than the png desu

and that's the smallest I can go
ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 0.5 -i input.png -c:v vp8 -qmin 63 -maxrate 1k -deadline best -t 00:00:02 output.webm

than the jpg

its late

>taking shitposting this seriously

why use it though for these small files, a few kilobytes matter little compared to the inconveience of having a webm. And for very big images you can't zoom in(i. e. view parts in original resolution.

maximum fucking kek

i only have 2 tabs open but my browser is eating 30% cpu for some reason
did u just hack me

ChromeOS doesnt have this problem

>only 30%

now do one with webm. That's right: you cant because theyre arbitrarily limited to 2048x2048 here on Cred Forums and were not allowed to use vp9 either

>implying that i haven't tried already

It's really annoying isn't it. I tried arguing on /qa/ about it but as usual the people who hang out there just wanted to agree with current policy

webp isn't supported in firefox so no.

also, why bother with webp when VP9 webms would actually make a difference?

Why does ksthis happen?

Yeah, cuckzilla is probably paying Cred Forums to not adopt webp yet in hopes of the sjw jpg encoder becoming relevant. Though eventually as firecocks plummits to 1% marketshare they will probably add support for webp out of the blue.

Only a matter of time I guess.

Shitty video player. Use mx player or Clover.

pix format in that one is yuva480p which your media player can't hand, this is with yuv480p and should play normaly

do the world a favor and kys. you're too fucking autistic to live.

yuv[a]420, not 480

>no fun allowed
good luck with that

get a fucking blog.

What do I need a dog for? To bark and shit itself every 5 minutes? No thanks.

fixed

>CRF does jack shit in VP8. Changing the qmin/max settings is the best quality control possible in VP8.
Could you elaborate on this point?

I use "constant quality mode" (or maybe it is constrained quality) to encode webms for Cred Forums. A lot of times I will use two passes.

Changing the '-crf' parameter makes a difference. The difference is noticable to me when crf is changed in the range of 5 to 10 (or more).

When you say it doesn't do anything, are you saying that with respect to this thread (making static 2 second images)...or is there something more that I am missing?

I can't zoom in on these...

I can zoom in on this.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this thread is gold