Windows7 compatibilty

Okay Cred Forums I need your help. I just got the new Asus k501-AB78. Great laptop. I love it right now. But I can't seem to install windows 7 on it. I don't know if it's a matter of cpu compatibility with win7 or if I'm just doing something wrong. I need your help!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx
piriform.com/speccy/download/portable
dictionary.com/browse/studious
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

use win10

>studious

Make sure Secure Boot is disabled in the Bios.

Nothing wrong with programming on the shitter. Written some of my best code there

Atleast tell us the error you are facing

I take my laptop into the bathroom to play vidya sometimes... I wonder what people think of me.

Windows 7 supports installing in Secure Boot if the install media is in GPT format and the install mode is UEFI

I often bring my laptop in the bathroom to watch movies in my hot bath, doesn't mean I'm masturbating

uh oh
so they knew all along?

I highly doubt it. Secure Boot was introduced with 8

The problem is whenever I try to boot from my flashdrive it just goes straight into my OS without loading for USB. I guess the first problem is I have to create a new boot option (like most asus computers) but idk if I'm setting the right path for my usb boot options.

asus seems like they want to offer no windows7 support for this laptop. I've checked on their website and support page. They only have drivers for windows 10. Would windows7 still work on this laptop and will I still be able to download drivers that work with windows7. Keep in mind this laptop came out only a few months ago.

You're right secure boot was introduced in 8. 7 only has support for basic efi

asus doesn't make the drivers, the manufacturers for the parts do. if they don't have them on the support page go get the drivers from the manufacturer's sites.

2016 hardware and onwards are only required to support windows 10 though

You are right mate, I stand corrected.
Windows 7 can do UEFI install but not Secure Boot.
Source: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx

Post speccy, for research purposes.
If the manufacturer made Win 7drivers its good else all hope is lost.

You will have to disable Secure Boot.
You will also have to disable UEFI and set it to Legacy if you didn't made USB in UEFI mode.

But first of all, can you even access your BIOS setup? There is generally a hotkey to select boot drive.

>tfw I bring my laptop into the bathroom everyday and I take a bath with it
>tfw I'm 22, employed and well paid
>still live with my parents who gives zero fucks

Feels great.

Thanks guys. I'm starting to understand more of the problem. Okay so my biggest concern is that if I install windows7 I would lose all of my drivers and "new features" from windows10 made for the laptop. Where and how do I check to see what I need to reinstall upon flashing win7.

You won't get the fancy UEFI in W7 no matter how you do it. If you enable UEFI after you're done with W7 and wanna switch to W8.1/10 you will have your UEFI back.

posted

Nigga you what...

Of course Win 7 supports "fancy" UEFI, its just that the install USB must be made in UEFI format (This is a option in Rufus)

I asked for a speccy mate.
Nevertheless, I need the exact model of your Laptop so I can research (lot easier to post speccy).
More easy if I get the *.speccy file of your PC.

>gaming laptop

don't know how to get that??

remember that gaming laptop isn't always because they're a faggot and don't have a proper setup, but already have that, and want something smaller for easy travel.

Also, the Win7 ISO must be x64 as only Win7 64 bit supports UEFI

Are you asking me or telling me?

Get Speccy here: piriform.com/speccy/download/portable

Extract it and run the 64bit exe.
Click file>save snapshot.
Then send it to me.

This. It's a decent mid-range gaming laptop with a good design.

There you go senpai. Arigato!!

locked down to the i/o level

just get a chinkpad, or get the nsa to install it for you

U wot m8?

I'm retarded that's what. didn't even attach the file

dictionary.com/browse/studious

Okay you're in luck OP.

I checked and, Intel HD 520 has Win7 graphics.
GTX 960M also has Win7 drivers.

So the basics are covered. For other things I'll need the speccy file.

I'll recommend to collect all Win7 drivers(64 bit) before clean installing win7 (install 64 bit win7).
Also as you're installing win7 to skylake cpu you will need to patch the win7 iso too.

Ok I'm sleeping now, get someone else to help you.

arigato senpai!!!!!!!

OP here, can't you just tell me where to look it up and I'll go and check? Thanks for everything so far man!