Is there a way to check at what speed a disc has been written?

Is there a way to check at what speed a disc has been written?

Why would you want to know this?

I wrote a few discs to test how good my dvd player reads. One of the two discs work better than the other, but I forgot to write down which is which.

i doubt this information is written anywhere on the disk

Alright this information isn't stored on the Disk's.

My advice is always burn at lower speeds because the lower the speed the CD/DVD is written to prevents bad writes.

As per good writing habits you should always (if you want to keep track of this) write the write speeds on the top part of the DVD/CD with a Sharpie/whatever pen you use.

You'd need a higher sample size than that anyway

What do you mean?

So when a disc says for example 52x it's better to record at 10x?

There is no way around to burn them again but go with the second slowest setting, second fastest.
>using a dvd player
did I get transpored to 2004 somehow?

It's actually for my PS2 games

>52x
there's a reason manufacturers went back to 48x

52x is so fucking fast (over 10,000 RPM) that you risk the disc exploding, especially if the disc is even remotely damaged or unbalanced

>RIP my original UT99 GOTY disc, the explosion was so fucking loud i thought my /hdd/ exploded and flipped the wall switch to my computer immediately. amazingly, the cd drive still worked (after i removed the shards...)

But it's only wright speed and not read speed. If something is written it doesn't get read at the same speed does it?

Yes.

no, there's no correlation between read and write speed

i'm just saying, don't read OR write at 52x

this is a valid reason, sorry to question your motives

>he still uses spinning plastic discs

No, problem.

Now that we´re having this thread. Is there any evidence that points out how or why certain disc manufacturers are better than others? (And I mean manufacturers not brand)

even back when i first started burning cds (mostly for my playstation), i remember reading people saying this or that is better, but i think any differences were solved before even then, as i always just got the cheapest discs i could find and never had any issues

what i mean is, maybe there was a difference on early recordables (early/mid 90's), but when i got into it (early 2000's), they all seemed to be good enough as to not matter which you picked

oh yea, and the playstation is a rather good test, since they have shit lasers

That is what I thought too, but while about 80 to 90% works, I do wonder if that other 20 or 10% doesn't work because of lesser media.

>valid reason
Good lord, and what would have been an "invalid reason" you retarded meme lord?

just burn at a lower speed (say 24x or less for cd, 8x or less for dvd), and verify the disc contents after burning (most burning software can be configured to do this)

also consider using dvdisaster (augments disc images with additional ECC, filling otherwise unused space), PAR files, or simply burning important things onto two seperate discs

>My advice is always burn at lower speeds

lower doesn't always mean better
you have to find the right speed
usually it's around 8x from my experience