1st gen PowerBook G4

What linux should I install on this PowerBook G4 I got? Ut has a 500mhz PowerPC CPU, 750mb of RAM and a 30 gig HDD. I was thinking about the PPC port for Debian stable with Xfce, do you guys have any better ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

transistor-man.com/powerbooksupply.html
macintoshgarden.org/apps/stuffit-standard-edition-703
storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/theunarchiver/TheUnarchiver3.9.1_legacy.zip
a.pomf.cat/fkwxcb.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Keep tiger. I was trying to install debian on my iBook yesterday and it wouldn't work at all.

Yeah that was kind of what I expected from reading around. Have you tried YellowDog linux maybe?

Nope. I will on my Tower once i get some new hard drives though probably. PPC still has some good software though. We have a current firefox fork at least.

Yeah using it right now. Also stupid question, how could I set my keyboard to QUERTZ instead of QUERTY?.

Downloading Adobe CS2 Suite, wonder how good Photoshop can run.

I got a 1.6ghz TI book g4 given to me. No powersupply. I am trying to hack one together.

This thread interests me. PPC debian with xfce was exactly what i was thinking too. So whats holding you guys back ? is it the hardware specs or has the distro just moved on.

FFS i used to lust after these things. The machines are beautiful but wondering if it is more trouble than its worth. If i didnt already have my macair running *nix i think i would be ALOT more excited. Also cant believe how small the battery packs are.

^ here is my rig

Apparently you cant unless you switch the layout to hungarian, which fucks up everything else.

I had issues with xorg when installing debian so i just gave up and cloned on my 10.4 install from my TiBook. Given that i run Xubuntu on my main computer, i see these little laptops as fun toys for just messing around with and playing old games. You should look at tigerbrew once you get it working. And power bricks are like $10 on ebay anyways.

Yeah I wanted one just for its looks, its actually the only Apple thing I got. So when I saw some guy selling it for 30 euro I just had to get it.

Whats holding me back is that every video and tutorial I watch has some sort of drawback like CPU getting hot or no sound and brightness controll. I have to say, for a 16 year old machine this thing kicks ass.

Also my MX Master mouse works with no drivers or anything.

But I the physical keyboard in the mac I got is quertz. Surely something can be done.

Also Adobe why did you put it in a .bin file, why damn you.

>>I guess its only with some specific language. Use the input tab in settings with the keyboard viewer to find which one it is.

Also, i got bored so i switched to OS9 on the TiBook. Its comfy.

Also i found this article on a diy supply.

transistor-man.com/powerbooksupply.html

Your faces when you realise apple was putting 2A through a 2.5mm TRS headphone jack to charge a whole generation of laptops.

WTF Apple....

Holy fucking shit. Ive never looked at the connector up close.

And the all iBooks (besides the colourful ones) use this charger too iirc. My G4 does.

Jesus christ what. I just looked at mine and it really is a goddamn headphone jack. Also I got mine with a new battery and its gone down 20% from one hour of browsing and I am really impressed.

Any idea on how to open or mount .bin files?

macintoshgarden.org/apps/stuffit-standard-edition-703

storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/theunarchiver/TheUnarchiver3.9.1_legacy.zip

Unarchiver gives the animation of running but does noting, the stuffit comes as a .bin file itself so...

Also is there a way to repair lines across the screen I see on PowerPC macs?

Damn thats good. I thought i wouldn't even bother with a battery because i thought that PPC 130nm architecture wouldn't be that efficient. Got a link to purchase one ?

>2A through a 2.5mm TRS headphone jack
So? It's not the jack itself would have any problem taking that

Unfortunately no since I got it with the laptop. That beeing said the laptop had just shut down as it reached 75% of battery, I plugged it in and it shows it at 0% and charging. I dont know if it shut down because of the empty battery and it gave a false reading or what. Oh wait, it just wwent to 1%, so I guess this battery gets me an hour and a half but with a false reding. Unfortunate.

Those lines are a hardware issue common on the 1st 2 gens of TiBook. Same with broken screen hinges.

Yeah I know, I went to a school that still used iMac G4s and they all had these lines.

would just run 10.4/10.3 + 9.2.2 on it desu
much more software and a current browser with altivec optimization, tigerbrew can pick up for some shortcomings in the terminal environment as well if you go with 10.4

supposedly Linux on PPC is pretty good but honestly it feels pointless to use it unless you're interested in development or running it as a server when OS X can support many of the same or better/more applications for a desktop use case

PPC linux is literal testicles. Put a fucking huge HDD in it, the TiBook can run OS 9 and every version of OS X that supports PPC -- use it for legacy software and old games

Dude this isnt a 5v phone.

The macbook G4 charges at 24v.

24v x 2A is 48watts.

48watts DC through a mini headphone jack is definately not standard engineering practice. The amount of those apple plugs i saw busted toasted was fucking disgrace.

A 2.5mm jack can very easily handle 48 watts. You're not used to it because you only usually see them in small devices connected to thin wires, but the jack itself can handle a lot more power than that when it's attached to wiring that also can.

And all laptops have thousands of examples of toasted power jacks. It's a thing that's going to happen sometimes to any heavily used power port

Is there any way to optimise cooling? Its not dusty, already checked, but the fan doesent seem to do fuckall. And does it only have passive and 100% speed mode or something?

Nope, its either quiet, 45%, or angry hairdryer.

Throw it in the trash.

Huh, unarchiver runs just fine for me. open software update and see if that fixes shit. Surprisingly, the tiger update servers are still running afaik.

that stuffit installer in zip
a.pomf.cat/fkwxcb.zip

Yeah I was suprised too. Only thing I can update is safari and Java.

or
who is more right ? i would like see just how testicle PPC linux is. I just like experience with other processor architectures for geek cred.

Also i remember trying to burn osx leopard to dual layer disc without a mac. That was pure testicle.

>leopard on a single 500 mhz 7410 chip with under a gig of RAM
pls no.

i heard that openbad is the best OS to run on ppc macs after os x itself

>openbad
oops, meant openbsd

Probably a flex-cable issue. Not really a 'PPC' thing, just an age thing.

there are a few people running debian/ubuntu/openbsd on their systems and I haven't heard many complaints

my only complaint is it's just plain boring, you can run linux on anything, you can't say the same for classic Mac OS or early OS X and all of their applications

If I plug in my OnePlus One it makes the phone impossible to use, looks like the phone detects multiple taps when I only tap once.