Laptop not powering on

Pressing the power button makes the fan kick in, power light comes on and the HDD light flashes. I suspect dead CPU can anyone confirm or advise me what to do?

Read the sticky and fuck off to

it wouldn't even turn on if the CPU was fucked

it doesnt things flash for less than a second.

you might as well buy a new laptop for the price it costs to replace a dead cpu on one

It often would, actually.

Laptop processors are literally under $10. What are you on about. His machine is clearly a socket and not soldered down.

First remove ram and place it back, see if it gives display

\Tried RAM and hard drive still the same. Found a old laptop from years ago that we stopped using and trying to remove the processor from that one.

Is the battery charged?

Yh doesnt work on wall power only aswell.

Pop the cmos battery and unplug the laptop battery and ac adapter. leave for like 5-10 seconds then don't replace the cmos battery and plug in only ac power and attempt to boot. If that doesnt work, then pop out everything again and replace the cmos battery with the ac power in, basically just try all the combinations of battery ac adapter and cmos battery in and out of it's socket, if not you probably have to do some soldering or further disassembly.

You could also try removing any or all drives while doing this, or plug in a secondary display to try to troubleshoot further, hdmi vga whatever, especially if the laptop has dedicated graphics.
Remove any pci express cards like wireless or eithernet if it sitll doesn't work, basically at the end you should have the motherboard outside the laptop with only cpu and ram attached, on ac power and either the laptop display or an external monitor to see WTF is up with it.

I thought Cred Forums wasn't tech support

Disconnect every thing you dont need, touchpad/keyboard/dvd-drive/display and connect it to external monitor, what Does it do?

Nothings connected to it.what i first explained is what happens

It is like removing variables in troubleshooting, like process of elimination, making sure it is not the hard drive, etc any piece that is not required just to POST all that is required usually for a laptop to power on is the cpu and ram, and a heatsink. By removing anything that is no necessary it will tell you what did in fact break. You can then replace the components back into the board one by one to see which one is truly broken. If all of them seem broken then you swap motherboards and continue swap cpu and ram and continue...

Anyone competent enough already figured out the problem and isn't posting. You are left with poor advice.

I dont know too much about laptops and stuff so there a limit to the stuff ill be able to do myself but ill try anyway.

External display is your best bet if you don't want to take anything apart, next is resetting the cmos, if the battery is easy to get to. Could just be a borked screen, but I don't have much experience dealing with that.

It doesnt stay on for more than a second, the fans switch on and the lights come on but after a second everything just stops.

just get a used thinkpad off ebay and call it a night

its fine my new xps 13 just got delivered today and this one just happened to stop working coincidentally

Reset the cmos then, that's where I would start, keep that battery removed throughout everything.

look up the laptop manufactures drawings on where the cmos battery is or google how to remove the cmos battery. sometimes it is a little watch sized battery cylinder wrapped in plastic with a plug on the end. I doubt they would be the same as a desktop motherboard

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display and Apple Care doesn't have this problem.

If you unplug the cmos battery with no laptop battery or ac attached it will wipe all boot settings and the system clock, sometimes this crap gets corrupted and will automatically be overwritten if there is no memory at next boot. The cmos battery keeps the cmos memory and the clock running even if everything else goes wrong. There is no harm in doing this it only ensures that there is no corrupted cmos at next boot. It probaby puts wear and tear on some components if you keep it unpluged forever and increaces boot time significantly as well as having to reset the clock and all bios settings every time, they are cheap as fuck to replace if you do it t diy or buying one. You can honestly buy a desktop cmos battery solder the two wires that connect to the battery and plug in then wrap it in duck tape, it will be the same thing, or just wrap it in duck tape and heat shrink it.

Given up trying to fix it,i know a guy that has got a PC repair shop ill take it to him