Embedded????

seconding

because i'm a systems programmer

How's your sex life?

How to avoid memory corruption?
best tools for c debugging.

How do you feel about Rust?

Why is your K&R and UNIX book so thick?

Mine are half the thickness and I have copies from the 1st print run.

Also, most of those books are next to useless now that we have the internet.
Why do you even need a dedicated C library book when it's so small and the entire thing is contained in man 3??

What is a pdf?

Because I am not a retard and have actual skills and experience?

>How to avoid memory corruption?
Don't be an idiot.

>best tools for c debugging.
printf

I hope you realize many books are published in order to scam people into paying for information they could have learned for free.
This is especially true now that the internet exists and user interfaces are so easy to use, you would need to be a literal retard to buy a "Dummies book" for using Windows or writing portable C code.

>implying you wouldnt spend anyway 20 bucks on some printed information
>implying you wouldnt mind to have manual references

>book literally called ``For Dummies''
>HURR DURR YOU'VE GOT TO BE A REAL IDIOT TO BUY SUCH A BOOK

Assuming you actually read those books, can you recommend any of them?
What does each one do differently that isn't covered in K&R?

I feel like beefing up my programmer bookcase because I have nothing else to put on my shelf other than fumos.

How to avoid memory corruption?
you have to keep track of what you're doing. what kind of memory corruption are you talking about specifically? multi-threaded? flinging pointers around?

>best tools for c debugging.
I like GDB. Visual Studio is good too. A lot of vendor tools are Eclipse based with a GDB based backend.

How is the C Style one? Is it useful. Does produce beautiful code like Carmack?

The paper is really thick for some reason. I've seen other copies that were half as thick *shrug*

I have electronic copies of most of my books too.
It's funny you mention the Internet since I'm already on it. Also, 99% percent of questions I have an answered in these books and like them. so, instead of going to google, i just flip the chapter I want and get a lot more context and insight that i bargained for in the process of finding the solution to my original problem.

>I have electronic copies of most of my books too.
sharing is caring

Maybe unrelated but what's the best most-buy book for C?

The C Programming Language (2nd Edition)

Probably
>The C Programming Language
but a second close must be
>C Programming: A Modern Approach
Given that it is the standard uni course one.

Plaugers book is superb. Best programming book I've ever read. It explains everything so perfectly with a working implementation. Can't do that with the massive languages we have today sadly.

Thanks, gonna check them. I've wasted my life as a Java programmer..

It's very good. It's more of a software engineering book. It's about making code readable and understandable. There are plenty of specific examples like keeping functions short (or trying to) and using consistent formatting for related idioms.
Even though that stuff is important, it goes beyond that and helps articulate the reasons why these things are important. C isn't as expressive as C++, Java or even Python and Ruby. Complicated ideas in C are typically implemented succinctly and densely, so it's important to keep things as easy to understand as possible.
If you want to quickly, yet deeply understand the difference between professional software and amateur code, start with this book.

where do you keep TAOCP?

on a hard drive somewhere

Is your first language Portuguese?

>I'm a systems programmer
>I only program in C

>no H&S
>the literal C bible
>K&R is a kiddie book in comparison

C doesn't require a fuckhuge book to cover it.

i can get a programming certification if i take classes for c++, python, and c#. however, as someone who hates proprietary software, i cant bring myself to want to learn c#

can you somehow convince me, a person who solely uses FOSS operating systems, to want to sit through and pass c# classes?

Is this a shill thread for prentice hall?

Most of those books aren't even published anymore.

Why are you using a programming language to program instead of a so le epic REDDIT Meemay®? It's 2016, people!

Where's the fish book OP?

Did the man who invented college go to college?

Thicker paper stock. I have a stack of the K&R book I found at thrift stores and the older ones are thin.

Considering they practically tripled the list price of the book over the years, I guess they gotta give you something for it.

There's also the "Eastern Economy Edition" for countries too poor to gouge $67 for. Green cover, weird, cheap quality paper.

Mostly agree with this, but I prefer visual studio over GDB, as most of our test systems only have release versions of software so we have to manually move debug files over.

One time I ended up with an EEE edition because the seller lied about it being an american copy.
The paper stock was absolutely horrible, it had an indian's name in it, and I had to throw it out because the cover was caked in a thin film of filth and when I tried to clean it off with alcohol it showed up as black on my rag.

Why are you reading programming books from 30 years ago? K&R I get, but there's no reason to drill C89 minutiae into your brain.

why isn't a info node of this stuff?

info as in GNU info?

because GNU info is fucking awful

1st for based PJ Plauger

i didn't say ONLY C

>tfw your doubly linked list you created from scratch to be type generic works flawlessly until you allocated 2gb and then it shits itself.

Becuase using C makes you a better programmer.

yet you still have no job
>Because I am not a retard and have actual skills and experience?
keep telling that to yourself, fat cunt

i've not thought much about rust. i heard it's cool but i've never used it. i'm interested in the runtime performance, code size, ease of debugging, toolchian support etc. everything is probably still in the beginning stages with rust.

Why haven't you upgraded to C++?

>using sepples

Me being an idiot.

that's not op.

i do have a job. but having a job isn't as important has having a career, which i also have. you can be an excellent developer and have the later and not the former.

i've done some C++ development.
C++ is still unpopular for systems programming and is actually losing popularity.

youtube.com/watch?v=D7Sd8A6_fYU

although that trend my reverse as what we think of now as tiny IoT edge devices become more complicated.

I have that too of course. It wasn't in the photo

So I read K&R front to back

what book teaches proper project file organization?

>i'm going to do a persuasion presentation but accidentally dissuade

common sense

>oh gee maybe i shouldn't have graphics functions in the same file as the input sanitation stuff

Probs that style book

I know how you feel. Don't be afraid of pointers and practice with them to better understand them.

j-java doesnt have pointers?
How do they live?

Nasty