/stv/ - Streaming TV General - Amazon just upgraded their Fire Stick

>The updated Fire TV Stick is a major improvement in almost every way. The CPU has seen a major upgrade from the first generation's dual-core ARM Cortex A9. It is now powered by the quad-core Mediatek 8127D, the same chipset found in the $50 Amazon Fire tablet. It has the same 8GB internal storage and 1GB of RAM as the original, but makes the jump from Bluetooth 3.0 to 4.1. The device can also decode H.265 video, no doubt future-proofing for future streaming and media support. Finally, 802.11ac WiFi support has been added.

androidpolice.com/2016/09/28/amazon-announces-new-fire-tv-stick-better-performance-alexa-remote-39-99/

What does Cred Forums use to stream media to your living room?

Streaming video to your living room General

Other urls found in this thread:

x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf
amazon.com/forum/fire?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2L8EBNTOXFSA7&cdThread=Tx34XTLYQD6DSLA
wattdoesituse.com/roku-3.html
wattdoesituse.com/playstation-4.html
amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SSD0/ref=s9_cdx_hd_bw_bDhgnr_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=6QABKQ2YPM2ZGSHFV8YS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=98faddc5-d483-59ca-917e-68e7784abb93&pf_rd_i=202505011
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have a WD Mycloud that I put all my shows and movies on then just stream it from my Xbox because it's already hooked up to the TV.

I just have a random HP desktop from 2012 hooked up to my tv. Has kodi connected to my server along with exodus and internet so theres plenty to watch. Me and my room mate don't have cable.

I have kodi installed on my fire tv stick one of the cheapest solutions out there and you have a remote ;)

>no 10-bit hevc decoding
into the trash it goes

seems awfully annoying to keep having to put movies on that drive. ever consider networking from a media server?

i used chromecast until i see that my internet speed wasn't enough. I just use kodi+addons with raspberry pi for now, it's easier, comfier.

I have a pi 3 connected via ethernet on a dedicated vlan that only allows read access to my video store. Using osmc or whatever it's called and it is fucking painful to navigate, but it plays my 30 gig movie files with surround sound without an issue

Most houses have a PS4 or XBONE with these exact capabilities.

Is there something unique about it besides the lower price tag?

>PS4 or XBONE

complete waste of money. even just for gaming.

>Expecting the average ameritard to have an ounce of intellect
Nigga we're surrounded by literal idiots. I can't wait for the tech singularity to give birth to super AIs who will wipe us all out with prions/viruses and replace us with robots.

>amlogic S812 quad core 2ghz cpu
>mali-450 MP eight core gpu
>2 gb of ram
>8 gb of storage
Costed me 47€ one year ago.

>can't wait for the tech singularity to give birth to super AIs who will wipe us all out
Should be giving birth to waifus instead.

Alienware Alpha.

Doubles as a LAN party box.

Fuck you too.

The transfer speeds are really good so it's really not that big of a hassle. I originally didn't even get it for this purpose. It's also really simple to figure out so it was nice to teach my parents and brothers how to do it so they just ask me to download a movie they watch and its up in about 30min.

To tangent a bit, the device is so simple, cheap and just straight up awesome I really recommend it to anyone.

>geeking about hardware in a stream box

Chill.

What's the cheapest decent netflix device?

i use this thing with kodi installed

I use my phone to a windows dongle.

xiaomi mi box

Roku 2 just werks.

>paying for netflix
>not using kodi + addons
its like you enjoy wasting money.

Netflix is convenient, for plex/kodi wouldn't I need to have a home server with all the shit I'd want to watch on it?

no, you get some addons and you can stream whatever you want. like netflix but free and more options.

Pretty sure my ISP would be all over me for it

I can even do any P2P without them bitching

they can't see what you're doing on a media box like they can when you torrent. it's safe.

>Fire Stick
Still doesn't support MKV, still isn't worth shit.

kek, animefags still falling on 10-bit meme.

Yes it does you dumb nigger. Any app like Kodi will play mkv

Are you literally retarded?

x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf

Kodi is basically the only thing that will play it. And it doesn't support AC3 audio. And it doesn't support 5.1 surround for every application.

amazon.com/forum/fire?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2L8EBNTOXFSA7&cdThread=Tx34XTLYQD6DSLA

The Fire Stick, just like every other Fireshit product Amazon makes, is second-class. It's a Roku with a slightly nicer interface and somehow even shittier support.

boomers can't navigate their UI especially with a gaming controller. shit like this is aimed at old fucks. younger people just watch shit on their tabs, phone or laptop.

Have fun spending way too much on your power bill.

wattdoesituse.com/roku-3.html
wattdoesituse.com/playstation-4.html

i don't game. i have a life.....of shitposting on Cred Forums.

I didn't ask if you gamed, I was responding to the assertion that there's no reason for a set top box when you have a gaming console that supports the same applications. This is only true if you own the electric company.

I have a job and the power bill is the least of my worries you pathetic nigger.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You're a big guy.

>2016
>still having 1gb of ram.

>I have a job, therefore wasting money is of no concern to me
Cool story bro, for those of us not raking in six figure incomes and swimming in pools of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, spending extra money every month to watch TV for no reason is silly.

But you're obviously just a contrarian shit-stirrer. If you were really rich and didn't care about wasting piles of money every month, you'd just have a cable subscription and TiVo.

chromecast, you can get the 1st gen for like $10, or $20-30 for the 2nd gen.

you fucking virgins and your goddamn generals fucking die already

>pending extra money every month to watch TV for no reason is silly.

it's literally pennies. you're counting pennies you pathetic jew.

I have the OG FTV stick

it is a dank device

>10-bit
>webm
>caring about memes

it's not pennies if you have BSKYB, the cheapest package which has fuck all worth watching is £50 a month,
and then decent free to air STBs are £200, but you can get around most of it with a £50 chink android TV box, and use channel catch up applications.

see

>he thinks a gaming console costs pennies per month to run
It's actually dollars. A set-top box will pay for itself in a year in power savings if you watch enough television and you're currently doing it on a modern gaming console.

xbox one and PS4 use around 70-80w which is the same as a 50 inch TV, and even where it's 15.6p/KWh it's not much, and standby is usually around 5w or less.

Laptop with Kodibuntu, bluray drive, and mounted all of the channels from my bedroom fios stb. Why the fuck would I ever want to pay for an extra stb, and $15/month for DVR when the current stb FiOS uses is network accessible with each channel as a dir?

I enjoy every streaming service, every cable channel, and I have a 5TB NAS mounted for storing all of the shit I torrent in the unlikely event I can't find what I want on a streaming option.

>Open the pdf.
>Look a the first graph.
>10bit->8bit->10bit Vs 10bit->10bit
Yes you are retarded.

>1GB of RAM

Your figures are generous. The PS4 uses 93W watching Netflix, standby is 10W, idle is 90W.

damn, may as well use an old sandy/ivy bridge laptop, as they are barely 50W full chat.

A Roku 2 currently but the remote is pretty shit desu

Would like to upgrade maybe, mainly use Plex

no

I use a fireTV for the most part.

Looking at getting a mi box when they get released for the 4k

I have a Windows tablet connected to my TV, streaming from my server using Kodi. Generally pretty good.

/r/pcmasterrace

LibreELEC on a Zotac ZBOX is best. With a wired connection.

And unlimited amazon cloud drive with bluray remuxes as the media source.

Anything else is pleb tier.

All you have to understand is 10-bit video encoders > 8-bit ones even when displaying video on an 8-bit monitor you massive simpleton.

>The device can also decode H.265 video
4k 10bit?

Every 4k-source using HEVC ***IS*** using and ***WILL*** use Main10 profile.

Not supporting Main10 HEVC is absolute idiotic nowadays.

Who mibox 4k here?

Yeah yeah, i bet that if i compare 2 still screenshot i can get some different pixel. Worth it, especially on colour filled shape anime.
Fucking stupid people. You literally hare the equivalent of audiophile.

why must people have to constantly fuck with STBs i just want a stock nexus player that now one has fucked with, as i don't fucking use kodi, and it's shite.
and i don't want any of those "free movies and TV shows" as fuck people being cunts with this shite.

what do you think of it ?

Getting one soon as they are officially for sale

Plex

you think a firestick which runs on power using usb uses alot of power?

i like it, it's pretty convinient and the controller is good.

>having cable/ sat tv
euro cucks don't realize cordcutting is happening big in the US. I know no on eunder the age of 30 who has cable or sat tv.

The Xiaomi TV thing is way better and cheaper
This, not supporting the entire h265 main profile is akin to the shitty first devices that could barely decode baseline h264

It's not about banding, you can get rid of banding on pretty much any bit depth with enough dithering
It's about saving bandwidth, which is essential for ISP's and streaming services like Netflix

i'm cord cutting in a few weeks when a contract is up, but not sure if i should stick with my chromecast or get a dedicated box for IPTV like catch up services, and now TV.

Amazon FIre TV with Plex server on my PC

ive been streaming any type of video to my 40in LED for 10 years using this

amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SSD0/ref=s9_cdx_hd_bw_bDhgnr_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=6QABKQ2YPM2ZGSHFV8YS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=98faddc5-d483-59ca-917e-68e7784abb93&pf_rd_i=202505011