/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Installation_Guides
fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TTY
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Binary_Firmware
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System#Software_architecture
archwomen.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
nsa.gov/news-features/press-room/press-releases/2001/se-linux.shtml
wiki.debian.org/WiFi.
wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb
debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=moving-space-between-partitions
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM
apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/findimagedupes/
github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/531ac2b2349da02acc9c382849758e07eb92b020
duckduckgo.com/?q=pulseaudio-equalizer&t=canonical&ia=web
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Environment_variables#Examples
serverfault.com/questions/125347/linux-case-insensitive-filesystem
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are there any reasons to use Arch instead of eg. Ubuntu?

Yes, the same reasons which set distributions apart, as in: the things which define a distribution.

Daily reminder
$ help
only applies to shell builtin commands.
(compgen -b)

What's the best vnc for using my home arch desktop as virtualization server?
The wiki insta forwards to tigervnc

Is /media special?
I am trying to use a chmod on a shared folder in there (it was added there by virtualbox) but the chmod does nothing, no error no anything, but it has no effect, the permissions stay at 770 always

>Just installed Kubuntu on my Macbook Pro to dual boot it
>Thought my EFI partition was busted because Kubuntu didn't show up in the Mac bootloader
>Turns out I just have to let it boot into Kubuntu normally and only enter the Mac bootloader if I want to use OSX

Guys, why do I have the feeling Linux isn't for me

But man is KDE comfy, why didn't I try this before

I have given up on trying to reinstall windows and wanna install GNU/linux now. If I put the iso on the usb and install it on the harddrive will everything be removed whats on it now or do I have to format it before I install gnu/linux?

You could try X11 forewarding

How to auto mount my windows drive. I cannot write to it and I have to mount manually

fstab still didn't seem to help. when i wen to mount I no longer had permissions

Bit of a dumb question. Are some distros easier to rice/modify than others?

You can do where is leaves everything that's on there or you can wipe is all and install.

It will give you the option to do which you want.

Oh lovely, done with windows. 2 last downloads and I am one of you guys.

What is a good piece of software to view IP cams? Something that handles mjpeg through cgi.

I've tried using VLC, but the mjpeg output is through a cgi, and VLC doesn't like that... or I don't know the right flags..

I know I can use the web interface, but after awhile the stream stops buffering and I have to refresh it manually. help

how do I install a Linux distro to my spare HHD so I do not have to partition and can boot from just that drive?
thanks

are you not using sudo?
udisks/udevil/udev can be a secondary option

Yes and no. Some come with dependencies already bundled but you can always just install them. Maybe gentoo would be not really harder but take you longer because emerge can take forever sometimes.

You have the option to either dualboot or erase everything. You can also mount your hard disk after install / in the live USB.

select the spare as the install location.

Using Mint 17.3. Considering upgrading to 18 but also wondering if I should switch. Looking at Manjaro or Elementary. From what I gathered Elementary is even more newbish than Mint so I'm thinking Manjaro. On the other hand I might just upgrade to Mint 18 and try to rice it and learn from it.
Can you seriously break anything with just ricing?

So I am installing from a USB drive.
(Installing manjaro)

is there any tutorial out there? I could see any.

Also I never saw a select install drive or anything.

Noobuntu is so bloated

did you get a screen like pic related?

Check their wiki. wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Installation_Guides
Maybe a Manjaro bro can help you/ I haven't played around with Manjaro for awhile.

lol that wasnt what i got.

Reminder: Everything except Gentoo is shit.

>Can you seriously break anything with just ricing?
Not normally. Maybe if you go crazy with startup scripts to make it look matrixy and something goes wrong.

Hey, I'm sick of Debian Unstable breaking after doing simple updates every week, so I'm considering Fedora as my next distro.

Any critiques or things I should know about Fedora? Is it stable? Can you cleanly upgrade to future versions of Fedora without reinstalling? How is the package manager compared to others?

Fedora is worse.

> Is it stable?
Yes
> Can you cleanly upgrade to future versions of Fedora without reinstalling?
Yes
fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
>How is the package manager compared to others?
It's ok. They don't have non-free packages so you need to add repos if you need something they don't have.

Im in need of a little help fellas

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Stop being a tripniggerfaggotcuntcuck
Listen to this guy:

Cool, thanks for your time.

Persistence is the word you are looking for.

I just got this wacom tablet I want to set ctrl-z and ctrl-y to the top buttons. How do I configure it?

Fun fact gnubois, forkbombs are in again.
Any non-root user just has to type the following to crash vital features of any distro running systemd:
while true; do NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify systemd-notify ""; done

I'm having serious problems with a new laptop. It doesn't seem to want to accept a linux install at all. I've tried debian and antergos multiple times, am about to try manjaro. The USB's work fine (apart from some errors in antergos) but install never seems to finalise properly, as if the bootloaders don't take.

I tried an install of os x first and that worked out, strangely. It's a dell inspiron for what it's worth and have scrubbed the win 10 install from the disk.

Stupid question, but since android is linux, could you not install a terminal app, install a DE and all and run your phone like a desktop?

I could've sworn I saw someone install stuff through pacman on an android phone.

you could do termux or one of those apps to get debian, but not sure if you can do full fledged desktop apps.

wish ubuntu phone were better, would drop android in a second if it was good enough for daily driver status.

maybe it's the efi. does the bios have an option to disable efi?

ah like a legacy boot mode? that might make sense

Does xbindkeys -mk return anything when you press buttons?

What does "TTY" stand for?
For example, after entering the w command, part of what the header shows is the "tty name" for each user currently on the machine.

I've tried looking up the meaning but I still don't really understand.

yeah legacy mode.

When did they bland down the gentoo handbook. Not that long ago it had more detailed steps.

First for Fedora being the best distro.

That is a first.

Don't run Sid. Problem solved.

It still had a whole section explaining network address last I checked.

t. nobody

Years ago when they removed stage1 and stage2 shit from it.

He fell for the use Sid meme.

Usually what the fags here tell new users to do, even though breaking is par for the course on it.

Find a flaw.

AUR

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TTY

learn how to use a search engine. it will make your life easier.

alternatively ntfs-config

>They don't have non-free packages so you need to add repos if you need something they don't have
That's how I like my freedoms. Respected.

I want the latest and greatest packages/libraries, and backports isn't good enough.

>install debian stable
>packages are too old, some of them aren't even in the repositories because of "stability"
>install debian unstable
>some dependencies are broken because of the difference of some versions.

I guess debian is not for me.

- wants to be free, but ships nonfree drivers
- corpr is a ghost town
- special "serious business" snowflake communtity
- rhel testbed (isn't really a bad thing but afaik the only purpose fedora even exists)

Starts with r ends with edhat

better than ubuntu

>wants to be free, but ships nonfree drivers
They have a pretty specific policy regarding nonfree binary firmware to ensure that it isn't invasive, malicious, or unethical.
See here: fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Binary_Firmware

>corpr is a ghost town
What is corpr? Is this a typo? I'm not kidding because a search for "fedora corpr" came up with nothing.

>special "serious business" snowflake communtity
Can you be more specific?

>rhel testbed (isn't really a bad thing but afaik the only purpose fedora even exists)
You yourself admit that this isn't an issue.

Why is that a flaw?

Idk

Canonical = Microsoft friends
Red Hat = NSA friends

> corpr is a ghost town

I always had good luck on the russianfedora repos.

pottering pls

systemd

Find a flaw.

Debian is shit unless you need to run a server, forget about it.

suckless.org/sucks/systemd

nice meme

Yes, debian is.

So I am installing my first gnulinux os on a pc besides a raspberry
I think I am making a mistake but I just went for it
Hope this isnt a mistake shit is ducking scary

All memes.

>Canonical = Microsoft friends
>Red Hat = NSA friends
As long as they're all FOSS, I don't really give a shit who they cooperate with.

not an argument

Always make backups as often as possible! Then you can really fuck shit up and not worry.

>one of the oldest distro
>best reputation
>endlessly forked
>used in the ISS

>meme
Ayy.

Can someone please give me a simple definition of what X is? I've been reading a bit to try and understand and it seems to be a program that creates the GUI and manages windows, but I don't understand the differentiation between X and a wm, since they both seem to 'handle windows' and the GUI.

As I said, it is good for servers.

thanks senpai, almost forgot

>wants to be free, but ships nonfree drivers
>They have a pretty specific policy regarding nonfree binary firmware to ensure that it isn't invasive, malicious, or unethical.

You're not being the person Mr Stallman knows you can be

>FOSS
please use the all-inclusive FLOSS next time, thank you.

my nigga

"Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's my choice, dammit. "

everything is a meme around here
"foo is a meme" is a meme

>Can someone please give me a simple definition of what X is?
X is the underlying framework that allows fancy graphics to be drawn to the screen at all. It operates at a lower level than window managers and DEs. Everything graphical utilizes and runs on top of X.

This part of the wikipedia article explains the overall design pretty well: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System#Software_architecture

It's kinda complicated and you don't need to know all the details to use it, because it's mostly in the background.

rms doesn't allow or disallow which programs to use, he's teaching people why proprietary programs are bad

- don't smoke; it's bad for you
- don't use proprietary software; it's bad for you

got it, linus?

preaching =/= teaching

What's currently the best terminal?
> inb4 the one I'm using
I'm using urxvt, but it lacks of some vt100 features and it needs patches to be usable.

>You're not being the person Mr Stallman knows you can be
If you can find evidence of Fedora's nonfree firmware actually doing anything unethical, then please bring it to my attention, and I'll probably stop using it. Otherwise I'll continue to use that firmware because it's necessary for my current computer to work at all.

>please use the all-inclusive FLOSS next time, thank you.
No. The only reason to say "free/libre software" is because "free software" can be easily interpreted as "free to purchase software." There's no ambiguity when someone reads "free/open source software."

Terminator or Qterminal

Will office actuators work on linux? Wanna use office 2010 mainly because of excel

What a retard.

also because floss is already a word

Why not run it in a VM?

is there a way for me to install all of these at once?
i mean i guess i don't even know how to install them one at a time either

FOSS only implies code that you can look at and don't need to pay for it - completly missing the point when someone want's to refer to free as in freedom software.

>luckily this program is FOSS
>I can change the source and share it
no, FOSS doesn't imply that

Never though about, but it'd be more recourse intensive, and my computer is slow

Virtualbox

>recourse intensive
doggy dog world

What do you even need that's "too old"? I use backports for Firefox and that's it. Everything else being a bit outdated has not been an issue even once.

Why is Debian so based?

> comfy installer
> comfy kernel without any botnet blobs
> hardware needs a bonet module? one-click enable it
> packages are splitted, making them lightweight
> if you want, you can choose only free software
> want to go bleeding edge? just change a line in a txt file
> use apt-showbugs to see changes before you upgrade
> want to change something in debian? vote

meanwhile on arch:
- no installer
- kernel comes with all modules enabled
- packages aren't splitted, all source, docs, headers are included
- no option to choose only free software
- #yolo upgrading
- less votings, more cuckoldings

enjoy your sjw distro

>No installer

Debian wishes it was as comfy as Arch anywhere

What sort of things would that even effect?
>man command is too cis, lets change it

hope you're enjoying systemdick, fuccboi

should i get elementary or mac osx when i get my usb

You do realise text based installers are far more flexible, right?

Retarded newfag

>archwomen.org/
We all have such community members. That's a GNU/Linux problem, not a Debian problem.

>man command is too cis, lets change it
Yeah

BTFO, debqueen

>I'm too retarded to set my kernel modules
Typical debibabby

>Noobuntu is so bloated

it's what you get when you go FLOSS.

Move past it, code is what matters not the social shit.

You replied to the wrong post, retard

I'll go with 2007, because it only needs the key

What's a decent portable distro that is compatible with WINE? I was probably going to go with one of the Puppy variations but I couldn't tell if WINE worked with it.

Slax

Code doesn't matter when it does bad things.
Proof: Every normalfag that uses anti malware programs.

>compatable with wine
Wine is a program that runs on any version of linux you want

source pls

So I can run Wine on Android?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

thank dr stalman

Theoretically, yes

Android Linux is a derivative of linux. Google didnt want to play house and give code back, so linus BTFO android from mainline.

Android Linux is a level below Linux
Linux being the parent.
Android linux is a child of Linux. Android Linux is not considered Linux

Linux
GNU/Linux
Android/Linux
Chrome OS/Linux
Windows 10/Ubuntu/GNU/Linux
GNU/systemd/X/WM/DE/Applications/Linux

you forgot Linux/linux

Thank you for adding the pepper

shit

When downloading images, is there a way to change it so that I can see the images I already have saved as a thumbnail ?

Got it running and it works amazing
Antergos minimal is amazing

Redpill me on SELinux. The troubleshooter seems nice.

I have a question.

Lately I've been trying to move from Plasma to some Tilling WM, but I've been facing a serious problem.

My problem is that every single WM refuses to use the system's applications in their Qt toolking. What I means is that, for example, I'm forced to use Dolphin in GTK and the GTK file picker instead of Dolphin's Qt one.

Is it possible to fix that problem? I honestly use KDE mainly because I love their software and it feels wrong that something agnostic such as a WM is giving me these issues.

The NSA owns it
>security
>using goverment software for "security"
Not even once

>The NSA owns it
Wrong and dropped

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
NSA Security-enhanced Linux is a set of patches to the Linux kernel and some utilities to incorporate a strong, flexible mandatory access control (MAC) architecture into the major subsystems of the kernel. It provides an enhanced mechanism to enforce the separation of information based on confidentiality and integrity requirements, which allows threats of tampering and bypassing of application security mechanisms to be addressed and enables the confinement of damage that can be caused by malicious or flawed applications. It includes a set of sample security policy configuration files designed to meet common, general-purpose security goals.

>he doesn't know SELinux is licensed under the GPL

>The United States National Security Agency (NSA), the original primary developer of SELinux, released the first version to the open source development community under the GNU GPL on December 22, 2000.[5]
nsa.gov/news-features/press-room/press-releases/2001/se-linux.shtml

Snagged this neato netbook from work. What distro should I throw on it?

slackware or puppy

Does Slackware have any advantages over Debian? Never used it before

What the fuck is wrong with the plasmazilla ppa? I'm still waiting for the lasted firefox version.

Tyrone...

Ayo,I din du nuffin. The customer just wanted her data off of it. I didn't charge her the recycling fee.

Who cares. It's open sourced so no back door.

>It's open sourced so no back door.
I wouldn't trust that something made by NSA has no backdoor.

>It's open sourced so no back door.
You are a fool.

^This

>The customer just wanted her data off of it.
Anything good?

Why do you think I'm a moron?
NSA had many backdoors exposed recently on Cisco and other routing equipments. If it made an OS, it will be out of my computer, certainly.

Do you honestly think a small line of code wouldn't be easily forced by a NSL gag on a version push?
I wish i was this naive again

Alright friends, I want to use xmonad at work but my laptop is an mbp. Do I dualboot or use something like virtualbox to setup a dev environment in linux?

No, xquartz doesn't count because its not a complete solution for all my window management needs. I'm also not super interested in the windowing solutions available on OSX, mainly because I also want to get back to ricing loonix desteps.

There's some difference between a line of code, and an entire OS.

Nah. The only time I ever see anything interesting are on macbooks, since they sync with phone pictures.

selinux is not an os...

Why does Linux not have good tablet support in 2016?

Because tablet is something stupid.

It's good for reading

My netbook is good for reading. Why do you need a touch screen to read?

Because it's comfortable to read in portrait mode and to scroll or turn pages with your finger.

I don't get why turning pages/scrolling with fingers needs a whole touchscreen. Couldn't you do this with a touchpad? Or better, with arrow keys?

The keyboard and touchscreen are on the back in tablet mode. Sure you could just turn a normal laptop 90° but that's just uncomfortable.

What's the best lightweight distro for daily use?

Debian

mine ;^)

kek

arch

he said lightweight

Install Gentoo

â–²
â–² â–²

Hey faggots, why does the Lubuntu desktop environment work for me on my fresh Xenial install, but not the Ubuntu desktop environment? It won't even load. Just blackness. Posting from Lubuntu desktop.

Do you expect us to be psychic?

Yes. I'm using a proprietary NVIDIA driver. The desktop would load before the driver, but it looked like shit.

>every distro's "minimum install" is around 250-300mb

So now that I have arch installed what do I do...

I downloaded ubunutu 16.04 and it has been easy so far. I know it is a baby distro but I couldnt have done it without you Cred Forums. I am thinking about switching to arch after a month or so.

is kali actually a meme?

Any ideas? Having to maually mount is not a big deal. But back in my day I always fioxed this easily. I canont change the name or write.

realize it isn't that great and go back to your previous distro
it isn't a meme if you're into the hacking scene

You have one package more than I user

>falling for the arch meme
kids everywhere

>You have one package more than I
>647
>646

uhh?

you have 214 more packages than me

arch works perfect for me. no lie. no bugs and AUR

not trying to be cool here

Yeah I got it backwordsI beter remove something uminpoortant to be you

nice start icon, i just stole it if thats okay.

>facebook

yeah man I use FB. I have friends. I met my fiance on it and have been laid and just keep in contact with friends. sorry. it works for me.

Enjoy your botnet.

cuck

there you go.

I used to have better ones but I just started being back on linux recently.

Anyways. Goodnight friendly linux folk. time to dream and i have my dreams or fun or at least fucked up

Yeah I will. I already have gmails etc so nothing to be done but they work

Answer my fucking question or I will delete this website. All I have to do is eat one more hot pocket to become the mythical 400 lb hacker of doom.

What does this neckbeard use?

whatever fucking distro he wants because he practices independent thought and can choose what he likes without an imageboard telling him what is or isn't cool

>he practices independent thought
Doesn't look like it

How do I install linux-firmware-nonfree manually? It's non in Xenial's sources list.

Why would you want to?

Because my wifi requires a proprietary driver.

Shouldn't Ubuntu include all drivers by default anyway?

No you faggot, you're thinking of Mint. I bet you've never even installed Fugbuntu.

>Uninstall qbittorrent
>lol dude you don't probably need wl (wireless driver), Linux image, Linux headers and virtualbox module

Holy shit I should've listened, Cred Forums.
APT is trash

Headers are optional, as is image-extra. If they were installed as / are only dependencies of qb, and you run AUTOREMOVE ofc they're going to be uninstalled.

>Autoremove removes wifi driver and vboxdrv
What?

You're an idiot and it's most likely not worth explaining to you why.
Hint: it only keeps the last few kernels. When you update and install a new kernel, the oldest one is flagged for autoremoval. Regarding your wirless driver, look at the package's info and see for yourself if anything you installed depends on it.
By the way: kill yourself for adopting other people's stances before verifying them yourself.

Qbittorrent and wireless driver has no correlation faggot

Did you run autoremove after every package installation/removal? How do you know it was flagged for autoremoval after uninstalling qbittorrent? Even if it was, it means it's not needed any more, because it obviously worked before you installed it alongside qbittorrent.
You're just proving more and more how stupid you are. Stop, for your own sake and inform yourself before spreading such nonsense. Fortunately enough for you this isn't real life, because it would be really embarrassing.

>shut it down goyim
No

And yes, I do run auto-remove after every installation. I need my bcmwl driver, there has been no new release of the driver but apt removed it. You are just proving how much in denial debfaggots can be. Retard

>installation
*uninstallation

So faggots, how do I fix Unity? Lubuntu works fine.

Time for an upgrade, poorfag

should I use suspend or hibernate? desktop

It's an old POS computer. I have a decent laptop that runs Windows 10.

>Should I travel by helicopter or by plane? human

You should probably use your favorite search engine to figure out the differences between them and pick one you want at a particular moment.

you're not being friendly

I'm not even using Debian/Ubuntu. I'm just pointing out how you don't know anything about package management and package managers.
Why are you still being an idiot on here instead of looking at your package manager's output to see which package had your WLAN device's driver as a dependency and if you even installed your driver package explicitly to prevent its autoremoval as a dependency? Do you expect your lack of knowledge to resolve itself by being a retarded person online instead of reading about your "problem"?

You're not being smart.

>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

I could have called you names, but instead I suggested the only reasonable solution: type "suspend or hibernate" into Google and do some reading.
You know, teach a man to fish and all that.

but I'm not asking the difference between them
I'm asking you, as a friend, which one do you normally use
because, you know, this is the friendly gnu/linux thread

you're not teaching anyone with "just google it xddd", you're just shitposting

>I'm asking you, as a friend, which one do you normally use
That's not what you asked. You asked which one _should_ you use.

As a """friend""", I'll answer both of your questions.
>which one should you use
Whichever suites your current situation. Can't pick one? Then you haven't googled it to know the differences between them and realized that they're used for different purposes.
>which one do I normally use
Hibernation on the desktop (I'm dualbooting, and hibernation cuts down on boot up time of each OS) and suspend on the laptop.

>you're just shitposting
I think you're the one shitposting, friendo. But I'm replying, so I'm the part of the problem.

What usb/pci wifi work with Debian?
I see they list the chipsets, but a lot of the products I'm looking at on Amazon don't state what chipsets they use, even on the manufacturers website.
I just want to have fun, comfy, stable experiences on my computer.

Probably all of them work. Their stability can vary, of course. So either read reviews or try to find ones which have been explicitly tested and confirmed to work well on Linux.

Last time I tried Debian live, it didn't work with my usb wifi that does work with Lubuntu.
Ralink RT5372, which isn't listed wiki.debian.org/WiFi.

I have another question, though. I tried making another live usb of Debian, but when I boot UEFI usb, it just boots my normal OS.
Then when I boot just from usb, it says missing file system. I've heard this error can happen when the usb isn't formatted correctly, but I keep using the GUI in lubuntu to format it as FAT, then burn the iso with unetbootin. Not really sure what else to do.

I missed up when partitioning my HDD.
It's like this
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 255M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 29.3G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 432.5G 0 part /home
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

Now I want to migrate to bigger HDD, how do I do this and add the extra free space to /HOME ?

>Ralink RT5372, which isn't listed wiki.debian.org/WiFi.

pro tip for debian, out of the box it uses linux-libre not the standard linux kernel so you *only* get free (foss) firmware/drivers unless you opt-in to the non stuff

*most* other distros, like lubuntu, use the regular linux kernel which uses regular drivers and firmware which can contain non-free proprietary blobs

that out of the way, 3rd result on google for "Ralink RT5372" is the following:

wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb

tl;dr enable non-free repos (provided your device ids are listed, lsusb or lspci or something to find the id of the device)

regarding your second question, you might need the usb formatted with a gbt partition table not mbr table before uefi booting works (and unetbootin might stil lbe using mbr) -- instead of trying to format the disk and sort partitions out manually why not try just writing the debian to the usb directly, do something like the following:

dd if= of= bs=4M; sync

this won't be the solution you need to do if you want persistent storage or anything like that but it should work as is

>while true; do NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify systemd-notify ""; done
Failed to notify init system: Connection refused

>How try running any service file or just doing "systemctl".
Huh. Neat.

Now try running any service file or just doing "systemctl".
Either way, I don't get the hype and anger. Whenever a bug gets discovered with another software, no one cars. When someone discovers a systemd bug, all hell breaks loose.

People who want to feel smart and knowledgable are going to repeat these things now forever, so they can feel like they have a deep understanding of the topic.

I don't get it, the partitioning looks fine.

Now you want to increase your original home with space from the other HDD?

>Now I want to migrate to bigger HDD, how do I do this and add the extra free space to /HOME ?

you have a few choices, the simplest solution is probably to clone the drive to your new disk with dd or something (and keep the original as a backup for christs sake), you can then delete /home, the 1k partition (assuming it's nothing important and it's just unallocated), delete swap, then you're free to recreate swap and /home in whatever order you like and you can rsync /home from your backup to your new drive

however if you want to keep the partitions as it is (and your new drive is at least 432.5G bigger than your current drive) you can clone the old drive to the new drive, you can move /home up into the unallocated space, rearrange the 1k partition and swap to be next to /, move /home back down, and then expand /home to fill the rest of the space on the disk, the convoluted way of doing this would be through fdisk/dd however I'm sure there's a few gui tools that can do it provided your filesystem setup is simple enough (gparted comes to mind)

I'd advise looking up how to move partitions in linux before you do it as obviously there is a *huge* margin of error involved but if you're happy keeping your old disk until you have it setup you should have a backup at all times

I mean I'm glad to get rid of ubanto, but how do people tolerate these fonts?

1. You're an idiot who most likely left Ubuntu for no valid, distribution specific, reason.
2. You're a try-hard, pretentious idiot who asserts his "superiority" and "knowledge" by saying cringe-worthy things like "ubanto".
3. You're an idiot who doesn't know how to copy/paste 1 simple fontconfig file to get reasonably good looking fonts.

>installed shitty DE
>complains about shitty fonts

The /HOME isn't in the last.
Meaning I can't just enlarge it when moving to bigger HDD.
I want to migrate to newer HDD.
But increasing space of /home from another HDD is interesting.
Add the new hdd UUID in the fstab and mount it as home and copy the data over?
It seems Gparted have something similar.
gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=moving-space-between-partitions
I'll try it out, worse case I'll delete the SWAP and expand the /home directory.
Thanks anyway.

My current laptop is busted, somehow managed to burn the CPU.
How to migrate to new laptop?
I doubt simply swapping the HDD will do.

>desktop environments are responsible for font rendering

That's one of the most idiotic things I have read on here. Why would you even post something as stupid as that?

>tfw there's no such thing as Linux distros anymore, only different skins on top of systemd

>I doubt simply swapping the HDD will do
It should. Unless you're running Gentoo or something.

>i don't know what a distribution's key defining features are
>i read somewhere that hating on systemd makes you edgy and "smart", so i'll say something idiotic and incorporate systemd into it, that will make me look super smart and l33t

>pressed enter accidentally
Or will it do?
Since linux uses open drivers, or does installing the OS remove somethings?

By not having autism.

>Meaning I can't just enlarge it when moving to bigger HDD.
Just repartition the new HDD like you want to, move all the data manually, change all the UUIDs, don't forget the boot flag.

If you want to resize partitions as much as you want (across disks even), then you should look into LVM. It's really powerful, and right now is exactly the time when you should do it -- when you have an empty fresh HDD.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM

It actually might.

>Unless you're running Gentoo or something
Why? does compiling the kernel include the needed drivers only?

Holy irony.

Depends on how the kernel is configured. You can configure it to include all available drivers but then compiling it yourself would be pretty pointless.

It all depends on your kernel config and how much stuff you have disabled.

>i don't know what a distribution's key defining features are
Better hold tight to your package manager son. Systemd's lead dev expressively has the goal of eliminating a lot of "unnecessary" choice on Linux to make the ecosystem more like Windows.

That's why I love linux.
Doing this with windows will probably give you BSoD.

Pretty sure Docker is owned by other people, but even then you don't seem to be quite sure what differentiates distributions of the same operating system.

>Pretty sure Docker is owned by other people
Systemd is/will be pushing Flatpak as a replacement and make it deliberately harder for Docker devs to do their work.

What do you use to find duplicate files?

>Systemd is/will be pushing Flatpak
[citation needed]
Flatpak has nothing to do with systemd.

>make it more like Windows
[citation needed]
Whom am I kidding, you can't cite it, because no one mentioned Windows. You idiots automatically say "... like Windows" for everything that you don't (or what you've been told not to) like.
There is an article where the systemd developer talks about an alternate way for packaging programs, but that has nothing to do with systemd's scope. Just because he's working on 1 project, doesn't mean he or anyone else isn't allowed to talk about or contribute to other unrelated projects.

Why would you have duplicate files?

Cred Forums reposts.

Awesome Photo Finder. It's not very automatable, but it works and is free and doesn't have a terrible UI and horrid translation.

Duplicate Cleaner Pro on Windows 7

I'm thinking of buying into the SSD meme.

I have two 1TB HDD's that I store my files on. One is general storage and a Windows 7 install, the other is /home.

Since all my configs are stored in /home (on a traditional HDD), would an SSD make a noticeable difference if root and/or / was installed on it?

This probably belongs in stupid questions general but I figured it's Linux related.

That's for windows.
If I wanted one for windows I'd ask

You can always run it with WINE if you can't find something. There does seem to be stuff, at least for Ubuntu. apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/findimagedupes/

So I'm about to buy a new netbook (ASUS EeeBook X206HA - note the tiny 32GB SSD).
It will be used almost exclusively for vim, viewing pdf files and ocassional browsing. There might be photos, videos and music consumed here and there, but it's not the focus at all.

On my old netbook, I used Arch which I was very happy with, but the rolling release character didn't really fit with the update rhythm I wanted to use.

So now I'm wondering if there's an alternative to arch with a more regular release model (maybe annual or biannual).

Of course I don't HAVE to update, and I really liked pacman/yaourt, the AUR, and the simple, minimal base install.

tl;dr:
Looking for distro with
>simple (=/=easy; I don't need a GUI or anything) minimal install
>fixed release
>ideally something like the AUR

Basically, Arch with fixed releases

My first guess was that I try a minimal debian install and go from there. Any alternatives?

>systemd's scope
Read anything at all from Poettering and it's made clear that systemd's scope is intended to be ever-expanding.

NixOS or GuixSD

I use crunchbang++ instead of Debian beacuse it comes ootb really close to what I want it to be and I dont want to spend endless hours of ricing.
Is that bad?

github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/531ac2b2349da02acc9c382849758e07eb92b020

What LaTeX editor to use? Running Debian.

>without an imageboard telling him what is or isn't cool
Then please, oh great neckbeard, tell us what distro is better if you want to have rolling release

just pick one and learn it well, they all seem about the same in the end export

Emacs if you want power and are insane

LYX if you want the beginner GUI

something else, sure there are lots more out there those are just the ones I messed with once or twice

Gonna post it again:

I always thought that Window Managers where toolkit agnostic, but lately I've been trying to move from Plasma to i3 and Awesome, but I've been facing a serious problem.

My problem is that every single WM refuses to use the system's applications in their Qt toolking. What I means is that, for example, I'm forced to use Dolphin in GTK and the GTK file picker instead of Dolphin's Qt one.

Is there a reason for that to be happening? I honestly find pointless going to a Tilling WM since I actually use KDE because I prefer Qt.

How do I turn my existing windows 7 install into a VM?

It has like six years' use worth of service tweaks, registry edits, optimisations, and a hand picked list of updates.

I wouldn't be able to retrace my steps even if I tried.

texstudio

Holy shit the amount of autism speak is real.

> I'm just pointing out how you don't know anything about package management and package managers.
Okay.. Still know more than you, newfag

>f looking at your package manager's output to see which package had your WLAN device's driver as a dependency and if you even installed your driver package explicitly to prevent its autoremoval as a dependency?
I'm not going to use a piece of shit package manager any more

>Do you expect your lack of knowledge to resolve itself by being a retarded person online instead of reading about your "problem"?
Yes, any package manager/repo structure that thinks qBittorrent and WLAN driver are remotely correlated is garbage

Is there a retard proof guide on how to set up a system wide parametric EQ on Linux?

On win7 you just install Equalizer APO and that's it.
I couldn't find a solution for Linux that didn't involve concepts way beyond my knowledge, like replacing the entire audio interface of the distro and then somehow plugging a VST into that.

So much confusion in this post.
>I'm forced to use Dolphin in GTK
This makes no sense, dophin is built with qt.
>and the GTK file picker instead of Dolphin's Qt one.
The file picker has nothing to do with dolphin. Your browser will use the gtk file picker unless it is designed or patched to do otherwise. This is nothing to do with dolphin or qt (at least in the sense you're thinking about it).
>I honestly find pointless going to a Tilling WM since I actually use KDE because I prefer Qt.
Use KDE, it's a pretty simple solution.

You could use jack.

How about you use cli? or do you need a GUI?

duckduckgo.com/?q=pulseaudio-equalizer&t=canonical&ia=web

I actually did confuse myself. What really does happens is that everything goes into fallback mode and applications starts to favor GTK instead of Qt.

For example, Chromium will favor the usual GTK file picker without the thumbnais. While in KDE it would use KDialog.

My first reaction was to use "QT_QPA_PLATFORM=kde" to start my applications, but it doesn't work system wide and, for example, the issue with KDialog remains even though I have my Chromium, or Dolphin set to use the kde settings themselves.

So the real question now is how to apply it system wide? I never used any WM, so I have no idea how to mess with its configuration files and I couldn't find anything on the internet.

Why do people always ignore the "parametric" part?
Kind of important.
Regular equalizers are useless.

Did you actually read what I just posted?

Install jack, then you will be able use anything you want.

Yes, did you read mine? I just agreed with you and said that everything goes into fallback mode, which by default favors GTK alternatives, just like with the browser example.

>Chromium, or Dolphin set to use the kde settings themselves.
Forget dolphin, it has nothing to do with chromium, it is not the file picker.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Environment_variables#Examples
Try that.

I can't bring myself to delete my Windows partition on my laptop. I haven't used it since July but I just can't do it.

It's not that I like Windows, it's that I'm a hoarder and can't get rid of things that cost money.

I had that same mentality. Just think of it like this, your not throwing the money away. You still have a windows copy just not installed. Like owning a steam game but not having it installed yet.

Sell your license then.

I did try that, but didn't help. What did help was set the ~/.xprofile and add:

"export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP = kde
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME= kde"

Now, the applications at least look like what I used before, but the problem with the file picker still remains.

By the way, I'm only using the file picker as an example, there still problem with other software. This is what it looks like now.

Same but for desktop.

I've had my Windows 7 install which I haven't booted into since May of 15' sitting on my secondary hdd (now storage). I don't need the space yet so I might as well leave it.

I was like that a 2 years ago, i didnt wanted to delete windows and steam.
Once i decided i gifted all my items to friend and wiped hdd, installed fresh os. Since that day i havent use Windows or played any game.

Please list the other problems aside form the file picker.
Also, what have there isn't what was in that wiki
~/.xinitrc

export DE="xfce"
exec openbox

I am somewhat confused by the point of mounting.
Let's say my cdrom is at
/dev/cdrom
and to use i mount as per tutorials:
mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
But why? What is the point of mounting it to the /media/cdrom when i can use it directly in the /dev/cdrom?

>I did try that, but didn't help.

I wrote that it didn't help.

You still haven't posted what your problems are.

>what is reading comprehension

I give up.

You have to post your problems in order for anyone to read them. Suit yourself though.

Why is KDE called KDE if the actual VM itself is Plasma?

X server crashes when I run startx, what do I do now? I know ... "le nvidia" but I'm poor and my richfag buddy gave his "old" PC to me when he bought his new gaming setup. So how do I fix this error? Its slackware btw...

WM*, fug :---DDD

I did it last week and feel great now.

Because it is more than a window manager.
It's not called KDE anyway.

>Its slackware btw...
Found your problem.
Looks like you don't have the drivers installed, or the kernel modules aren't being loaded.

In all likelihood you are missing drivers for the graphics card.

driver, firmware and kernel module should be installed (I used sbopkg to download and install them)

The error would suggest otherwise.
Honestly, if you can't solve this then you should probably not be using slackware.

>Yes, any package manager/repo structure that thinks qBittorrent and WLAN driver are remotely correlated is garbage
Did you prove that qbittorrent and the driver were related dependency wise? You didn't.
All you did was mention autism and some subjective claims how the package manager is bad. Nothing to disprove the point (that it's PEBCAK).

>should be

It doesn't look like they are from those errors it's throwing back. If you're running slack you should know this, user.

Well I used slackware before but I never had any problems with configuring X and it's the first time I install a linux based distro on a pc with a nvidia graphics card.

fdupes for hash checking
findimagedupes for pixel checking

flip a coin, then it isn't your choice

Why are linux directories case sensitive?

Why wouldn't they be?

Window managers are toolkit agnostic.
When did Chromium use KDialog? I just looked and Chromium requires GTK2 on my distribution, which means it's using GTK2 for its GUI. That means it will use the GTK2 file picker. You can't just make it use a different file picker by changing an environment variable (it doesn't depend on Qt or any KDE libraries on my distribution). You most likely used a patched version of Chromium.
I don't know how you got Dolphin to use GTK's file dialog. Neither did you mention which distribution you're using and which Chromium and Dolphin packages (official packages from repositories or something outside of it with possible patches applies).

ASCII. So the corresponding code for A is different from a for example.

Remove references to nvidia and restart X. Clearly something went wrong with your driver install.

Isn't that determined by the filesystem and not the kernel?

serverfault.com/questions/125347/linux-case-insensitive-filesystem

everytime I open a new terminal I'm not in the sudoers file anymore. when I su and re-add myself it says that I'm already in the group. I'm running on debian. does anyone know why that happens and how I can fix it?

Made a new one:

as root open /etc/sudoers manually with a text editor like leafpad. add your username then save it when youre done

Do not do this, there is a reason visudo exists.

thanks babe

just reinstalled slack and it somehow works now, dunno what I fucked up lol....

Thanks for nothing
friendly my ass

kys cuntface

this is the old thread, silly

/dev/cdrom is just a device node, a single file which is exposed by the device driver

mounting a filesystem (such as from a device/partition) means making its contents available via the VFS

ps. this is not unique to linux, on windows for example, "c:\" is a mountpoint (not a device!, the first disks' device name is actually \\.\PhysicalDrive0, but this is hidden away)

> chrome
> facebook
> weezer

Gpt vs mbr

I recommend using gpt

I need a video editor for Linux with only one requirement: ability to render video in a custom framerate: I need 48 FPS, but Kdenlive, Pitivi, and Openshot all don't have that option.

Is there anything other than Blender that can do this?