'Member netbooks?

Where were you when Steve Jobs destroyed the netbook in under two minutes?

youtube.com/watch?v=oPO8sg5xH-M

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook
youtube.com/watch?v=3tDCPqHy9og
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>PC software
What?

Isn't the 11 inch mb air literally a netbook?

>slow
>low quality display
all it's missing is the pc software

What's the iPad then?

Slow
Decent displays
Only mobile software

It is, but you can run PC software with bootcamp so it isn't missing it

A tablet and not a netbook?

The irony is that Apple currently sells a small version of the Macbook Air that is essentially a netbook.

Where were you when "netbooks" destroyed fagbooks?

>pc software
If it's not Powermac, then it's PC.

>only windows software is PC software
Kill yourself

It was 2010 though, and he was correct. Was. Go read reviews of machines from that era (asus eee 1201n) even higher end ones "feel slow" and had shitty touchpads and low rez screens.

Of course now with SSDs being common and more power-sippy CPUs ANYONE can build a good netbook.

but a chromebook is less useful than an android phone

>he thinks 11 inch Macbook air is slow and has low quality display, just like a netbook
Have you ever used a netbook?

Jobs referred to Windows anything as a PC, technically any Mac is a PC

>The irony is that Apple currently sells a small version of the Macbook Air that is essentially a netbook.
Except that it's bigger and more powerful than any Netbook and it works.
Also, you have no idea what "irony" means.

PC just means personal computer. There's no reason why PowerPC computers can't be PCs. There's a reason why there's 'PC' in the name.
Also,
>Powermac

None of the really shit bonnell arch atom netbooks, but I did use a silvermont or airmont one

Also if we wanna be REALLY pedantic, microsoft made a Windows NT for PowerPC.

>tfw I raided in WotLK with Thinkpad x100e
Still topped DPS. Being arcane mage was truly magical.

My early 2015 MBA has the same DPI, gamut and contrast as my 2010 Acer Aspire One and Samsung N455 Plus
The only thing superior in the Apple display compared to the Samsucks one was that it had gamma curves that corrected the display to a decent color temp instead of the blueish hell that the Samsung had, it still was inaccurate enough to be useless for color work
The Acer display was comparable to the Apple display ootb, equally inaccurate but not a bluish hell like the Samsucks
Of course the ULV i5 in the MBA is much faster than those old ass N450 Atom's

Silvermont was introduced in 2013 and this clip of jobs talking is 3 years older.

Netbooks. Were. Shit. They were shit with potential!

How will Applel ever recover?

>Slow

Nope. The Apple A-series are the fastest ARM processors around by far and are now competing in raw performance with desktop processors.

>Decent displays

Nope. The 9.7" iPad Pro has a best-in-class display with DCI-P3 wide color gamut.

>Only mobile software

You say that like it's a bad thing. It's exactly why iOS and its ecosystem have been a runaway success for nearly a decade. They're not burdened by decades of legacy desktop cruft and clunkiness like Windows.

Where were you when cancer destroyed Steve Jobs?

>tfw PC destroyed Steve Jobs

Cash-strapped American ghetto public schools don't buy Apple products in the first place. It's the same reason poor people are all on Android devices.

I miss my netbook. A super cheap, tiny, machine, with modern processor that you can touch type on.

Was great.

Any good Linux compatible replacements? The dell xps 12 and the 11" air are way too expensive.

>fastest ARM processors around by far
Until ares... maybe...

"PC" refers to the IBM PC.

Windows is a direct descendent of MS-DOS and the days when a PC-compatible system (either from IBM or a clone maker) was required to run software for it.

Blame IBM for having the arrogance to trademark and own a generic term.

PC = Windows

Most of Cred Forums still uses netbook tier machines so this'll be a salty thread

A PC is just a home computer bro B)

>eeepc
>emmc chromosome

lol

>a PC-compatible
They were called IBM PC-compatible systems, never PC-compatible systems.

Then why are so many PCs used outside of homes?

"Home computer" is an antiquated 1970s/80s term from before everyone had a desktop computer in their office.

>'Member netbooks?
Of course, I just plugged mine in to charge. Saving up for a new one, pic related

Eww Windows 10

Not like I'm going to stick with that load of horse shit

>Let's note
Why is engrish so comfy?

What?

Google play store is coming soon on most Chromebooks though. Besides without Google play I can do nearly everything on my chromebook that I do with my android expect make phone calls.

Only if you keep Chrome OS or don't know how to install real programs on it.

The netbook is still around, Steve Jobs isn't.
Looks like the netbook won.

1. Nice trips
2. Nice chink machine

>japs are chinks

Where are you getting one? How much?

>durr hurt whats keyboard lag lol lol lol

Not sure yet, first I need the money for one. Last I checked they were like $4k

>It's the same reason poor people are all on Android devices.
Maybe those people want more customization and want to do more with their device (e.g. peek into the filesystem without jailbreaking their fucking device)

an overpriced one

I was here.

>Remember Netbooks

Apple sells a netbook now, though.

Don't you know macs are not personal computers?

The MacBook Air's more of a netbook than that thing is. I know there's no set definition, but I'd never count anything with a 12" screen or greater as a netbook. Hell I have a hard time counting 11.6" laptops as netbooks.

Ugh. That's a bit too rich for my blood. Quite a bit.

Yeah it's a lot for a netbook but I've been wanting a good modern one for years and really like the design. I've never spent more than $600ish on a computer so this is a pretty big step up.

Also, the air costs more that $500. That immediately puts it out of the netbook category.

They're supposed to be cheap.

the trademark of a netbook was always the terrible atom cpu

android tablets don't even have apps made for them anymore

it's like windows phone levels of dev interest

Now that I disagree with.

even a dell chromebook is like $500

>tfw Google gave me my Chromebook for free

How do you save images on an iPad when you're browsing Cred Forums?

Open the image in a new tab and save it from there. What a fucking stupid change.

>raw performance
>fastest arm

stop spouting shit you have no idea about.

>walled garden
>personal
That much should be obvious.

>OS X
>walled garden
Quit talking out of your ass.




poorfags can't applejack

Well, those chinks hope they will ever as good as the japs.

show me a netbook that comes with a i5 processor and pcie based SSD. faggot.

The savior that killed the netbook in 2010

that's an ultrabook. look up the actual definition of netbook you mong. they all have atom processors for one

Netbooks were a stopgap between laptops and tablets. Tablets are on their way out as thin laptops are becoming the new thing.

>killed the netbook
>savior

Netbooks can be Ultrabooks
>they all have atom processors for one
Nope. There are netbooks with VIA and AMD CPUs as well.

>Netbooks can be Ultrabooks

No they actually can't. Ultrabooks have a specific and clear spec criteria defined by Intel. They don't overlap with Netbook spec.

Netbooks don't have spec criteria, it's just a generic name given to small lightweight laptops.

Netbooks are dead.

No, they're just much less common.

old shit, Steve Jobs hasn't done any recent announcement, I think he did actually secretly retire.

It's dead, Jim

Nah

>Ports: VGA, full size HDMI, Ethernet, SD card, 3x USB
>1920x1200 16:10 screen
>touchpad with seperate mouse buttons

Very nice. I also like the retro design. But that price is a shame.

>PC software
>Implying Macs are not personal computers
>Implying nobody runs Linux/Windows on Apple products
>Implying nobody runs OS X on non-Apple Products

>autist can't handle terminology that used to be true and is still in use because that's just how it is

>Implying you can't run any other OS and its compatible software on a netbook
It's like you didn't even read my post.

>fastest ARM processors around by far
x86 still kicks its ass in raw performance. Of course Apple A-series ARM are great at power saving and performance per watt, but that only carries you so far when you need actual compute power.

We're telling you cars are faster than bicycles, and you're responding that you have the fastest bicycle.

Of course raw compute power is of limited use when you're stuck with just mobile apps. Yes, they're great and easy to use, but they can't even begin to compete at a lot of things you can do with PC software if you're vaguely competent.

Yes.

Now can the tablet meme die already so we can get back to designing based UMPCs?

>implying I implied that

Worse than most netbooks were. Zero key travel and the mouse pad can't even click. It is the worst.

The netbook was dead on arrival, and was only hyped up by places like Best Buy and QVC because there was a high profit margin on them.

Running a full fledged desktop OS on an under-powered, miniature laptop was destined to fail.
Tablets did the exact opposite, by running a mobile OS on more powerful hardware, and were actually desirable.

I'd say smartphones have largely replaced tablets now, since it's easier to carry one 5.5 inch device than it is to have both a phone and a tablet.

Not an argument.
You removed the context to my post, made arbitrary assumptions based upon it, and then give that cop-out answer when I put the context back.

This isn't even hypocrisy it's just laziness.

>There are netbooks with VIA and AMD CPUs as well.

And those are even more terrible than the Atom netbooks.

Still netbooks nonetheless.

owner of one of the asus eee netbooks. the little thing is sudge a piece of shidhh. the linux bistro i have installe on it doesnt even helb

>tfw my main portable device has a worse CPU than an Atom N270

You have no idea the pain of using a beautiful looking aluminium clad netbook HP sold: HP mini 2133.

It came with suse, so you thought: great! Linux compatible! It was horrible, using the graphics in a barely better mode than vesa-fb. You c could make it a little faster with s lightweight distro. Windows was barely better on it. Basically, this couldn't even pace the shittiest of amd based laptops that were five years older than it. Moving from it to an atom based netbook felt like going from driving a ford festiva with the parking break half on, to driving a Mini Cooper-s. Still small, but fast, and everything is well designed and works.

>thats an ultrabook
My Samsung NP540 is an ultrabook.
Same size display, same battery life, same performance processor that doesn't throttle immediately, three USB ports, ethernet jack and full sized HDMI out.

A MacBook Air is a fucking toy.

>PC software
Kek, didn't OSX run on generic x86 PC hardware already back then?

I think he's trying to say windows is shit without being so blunt and avoiding saying windows

MacBook Air is a netbook...

What is a netbook?

Slow
Low resolution
Painful to use

Most netbooks ran lightweight Linux distros though.

Most netbooks ran XP or Windows 7 Starter Edition

>all it's missing is the pc software

well unless you use it with the power off breaking news for ya, macbooks are PCs running PC software

you silly kids sure got dumbed down with the "I'm a mac / I'm a PC" ads

The entire philosophy of apple is LITERALLY to put and keep users in their own ecosystem

Which is literally the definition of walled gardens

OS X's still not a walled gardn

Who makes OSx
>Apple
Who wants to make their products work together, but not work with other products
>Walled gardens developers, apple
What shit PC OS blocks you from running apps from "Unauthorized sources" and refuses to implement extremely popular protocols, despite having FOSS libraries available freely, like MTP (even if MTP a shit it's still widely used)
>APPLE AGAIN

You don't even have an arugment there
>Inb4 OSX ain't no wall'd gardn' son

OS X ain't no wall'd gardn' son

(You)
>OS X ain't no wall'd gardn' son

Let's copy paste our post for 20 posts then

a lot of people on Cred Forums consider themselves informed about os x based on some cursory experience with iOS, thinking that it's basically the same thing.

or they're just windows users who are too intimidated by the shell to learn about it.

either way, ignore retards.

Apple claimed netbooks are shit in the past.

Apple sells netbooks themselves in the future.

How is that not ironic then you massive faggot?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook
>Netbook is a generic name given to a category of small, lightweight, legacy-free, and inexpensive computers
There is not a single Apple laptop that fits that description.

>UMPCs
the fuck is even the point of that thing? Does it have a keyboard? If not, why in the fuck would it have a desktop OS?

Chromebooks

that's not what walled garden means you idiot. walled garden is windows with it's completely closed source/non-free kernel and pile of shit spagetti frameworks built on top of it

>Samsung NP540

piece of shit that will probably explode on your desk, setting your house on fire while you sleep. also worth less at resale the day you brought it home than a 5 year old macbook. wincucks btfo

>>Samsung NP540
>1"+ thick all the way through
>The battery-life on the Series 5 UltraTouch also ranks well among 13- and 14-inch ultrabooks, lasting 5 hours 35 minutes
>5 hours 35 minutes
>5 hours

POOR DELUSIONAL POVERTY FAGS SAY THIS IS AN ULTRABOOK LOL

>5 hours and 35 minutes

LOL

You can only milk the Jobs cow so long Pajeet. Your bucket looks a little empty.

>C O I L W H I N E
>O
>I
>L
>W
>H
>I
>N
>E

Everyone stop and laugh at the guy with the hissing phone! What a loser!

how long until macbook with ios?

samsung has never had good laptops

You mean an iPad with a keyboard attached? PadBook Pro...

Had an Asus 1005HA if I remember correctly. Never liked it. Netbooks were a terrible idea

Still slow
Decent screen.
PC software

youtube.com/watch?v=3tDCPqHy9og

It does have a keyboard, a physical one, not a crapass touchscreen one. It slides out. It can also use external keyboard, mouse and monitor, docking like a laptop.

The CPU may be underpowered for demanding tasks, but being able to do something slowly is infinitely better than not being able to do something.

Where were you when google brought them back?

Receiving one for free. Too bad the hinge broke. My laptop just broke and I'm thinking of picking up another Cr-48.

Why won't google release the CR-48 with updated specs? It was the best looking chromebook.

This
>16:10 matte screen
>rubberized chassis and keyboard
>nice large clickpad
>great battery life

When did that happen? Last I checked Chromebooks are still useless meme-boxes.

Did you bother reading the thread? They outsell macbooks and are the most fun laptops available.

> sent from my Acer R11

So, lag before every action?

Nothing slow about an i7 and PCIe SSD homeboy. Screen resolution sucks though.

You can install a real OS if you don't like Google's.

>i7 in a laptop

Yeah, Big Macs outsell MacBooks too, but I wouldn't try and do any real work on a hamburger. Also there's nothing fun about paying google to datamine you.
Configurable to 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache.

but my laptop has an i7............

I know

Disgusting

>most fun laptops available

Depends on your idea of fun. My idea of fun doesn't exactly include dealing with drivers and BIOS ROMs that don't work correctly on the hardware because they're thrown together by a bunch of hobbyists.

I'd rather have a computer that I'm not forced to tweak just to have working, and I say this having gone through an Acer C720 (screen broken because the build quality is FUCKING AWFUL and the lid is paper thin) and a Dell Chromebook 13 (gave to my mom for her birthday).

Nice sour grapes mang. Why not have a fast laptop? Sure it's not gonna be as fast as a desktop i7, but a little extra performance on the go does help.

Or are you assuming that laptop == shitposting and facebook machine?

Why are modern """netbooks""" so fucking shitty compared to the first or second generation?
Will something ever be good enough to replace the MSI Wind U100?

Nothing to do with sour grapes, dumbass. Power is for desktops, battery life is what matters in laptops. If a laptop has anything more than a quad core Atom I'm not buying it.

And it was shit!

Such things do not appeal to normies.

What happened to rush-to-idle? Consume a bit more power for a shorter period, then quickly return to a low-power idle state?

that's because you're fucking poor and stupid. there are fucking mobile processors less energy demanding but more powerful than a piece of shit atom in fucking lower mid-tier tablets and phones

I have an eeePC sitting right next to me.

Or I could just have an all around low power CPU.

>lol ur poor and dum xDDD
Fuck off
>the only Atoms are the ones in phones
They even make server Atoms, dumbass.

i7 IS low power when idle.

And Atoms are low power all the time, I'd imagine lower power idle too.

And I happen to want to do more than shitpost and write fizzbuzz on the go, so I do want something that isn't stuck in low gear permanently.

>he doesn't know how to work remotely
kek. I could use an Atom N270 without issue. In fact, I regularly do along with other processors that are even worse.

So, I built a media server with a nice atom motherboard with IPMI remote management. I liked all of it, but the Atom couldn't keep up with the demands of Plex. So, I had to upgrade.

>with other processors that are even worse
sounds like an issue with you being poor as fuck, dude.

>implying there's always an internet connection to work remotely using
Cell connections are imperfect. Wifi isn't always available. And sometimes there's an asshole who wants to charge $50 for a week of wifi at the airport (a week? I only wanted to use it for an hour...).

Also my work involves VMs sometimes. VMs do not work particularly well on Atom CPUs.

Do you have a real argument or are you just going to keep calling me poor? The only reason I use something worse than an N270 is because it's what in my UMPC

Fair enough

> He claims that for a device to exist between a phone and a laptop it needs to do something better than both
> Released the iPad anyways
What does the iPad do better than a phone or a laptop?

Consume content without making you squint as much as a phone or being as large and heavy as a laptop.

It has its uses, they just mostly aren't what I want to use my device for.

>Remember when Apple at least pretended they made affordable products?

Glad to see they're getting BTFO by Chromebooks in the non-collage education space they once dominated.

fucking poverty compounded by stupidity. it's a vicious cycle you can't escape from

you were fucking retarded to think a piece of shit atom would be good in that type of build in the first place

Fuck off retard, I'm not poor.

Saving up neetbux in your mom's basement doesn't count as not poor.

I've got a job and my own place you fucking moron.

sure thing big boy!

>pepe
Oh I see, you're just a shitposter

make sure to finish all your tendies, big boy!
dont want to get all that gbp go to waste, do you, bigboy?

11" air is not slow
but the 12" macbook is a netbook, and after it's been running for a while it's slow

>dead
>not evolved

Win8/10 tabs are the living example of it.

>tablets are netbooks

This is the MacBook version of the iPhone 5c. When Apple made an "affordable" device.