>he organizes his 1s and 0s

>enforced hierarchy

>top
-->cat_vid
-->dog_vid
-->cat_pic
-->dog_pic

your hierarchy should be based on what you need

separating videos from pictures has little use really, since you can just filter it out.

separating dog from cat things is useful because the computer can (not yet) do that programmatically.

>he organizes the atoms that make up his hair

git-annex exists, tag properly and you can use both

I have Music, Videos, Pictures like so:

Music / Artist Name / Album Name

Videos / (Television | Anime | Movies | Misc) / Series / Title

Pictures / Photos / Year / Month
Pictures / Wallpapers / Subject Matter / Subcategory (Eg: Nature / Ocean or Nature / Winter).
Pictures / Misc / ???

This keeps categorization quick and simple, next to no thought is required to categorize a file and so it can be done automatically for most of my files.

Pictures are pretty much the only thing that requires me to manually sort them, and even then I automatically have files sorted between categories based on resolution and metadata. Wallpapers automatically go to Wallpapers/Sorting and Photos automatically go to their respective year/month folder. Everything else goes to Misc/Sorting.

Content based sorting for all media is a nice idea but is really not suited to directory structures which are heavily limiting because they force the association of a child folder to its parent, which is not how content is categorized in the human brain.

Some brown things are dogs but not all dogs are brown things and not all brown things are dogs, etc.

Oh also I have an ebooks folder sorted exclusively by Author / Series / Title and a Documents folder that is horrifically unsorted.

The bottom.

Top is good but only for a while. Once you start collecting more, it gets worse.

without autism the world would be so unclear
thank god for autism

why would you put videos and photos in separate folders? just sort by type. or size, for that matter.

There is much less types of media than types of content, so media type shold be topmost to reduce clutter.

Relating to this. Is there any file explorer that has searchable tags on windows? The default one only handles it for jpg and it's really starting to bother me.

Might be OCD

It looks to me like a tree may not be the proper structure for what you're trying to accomplish. You clearly want a tag system (file A is "dog" and "video", file B is "cat" and "pic", etc)

If you have few tags and you NEED to emulate this on a file system, I would recommend symlinks. Create two folders: "by-animal" and "by-type". Then in "by-animal" do the second one, and in "by-type" symlink to the appropriate folders

Quickly googling "tag file system" turned up this if you want to give it a go: tagsistant.net/

single directory to dump everything into combined with a database of tags and a software that uses this db to display files.

So you have one folder and use the OS search function.

I dunno, seems dumb to me. Are you dumb? If you answer yes, does that imply a contradiction?

So many questions.

First. It just instintively make more sense to me, there isn't a particular reason.

this

Me too, I guess it's because that's the order in which I would phrase the statement. Like I need to find the picture of that smug cat, or that video of the funny doge.

There was this program which I forgot the name of -- something along the lines of "Hydra" -- that implements a tag database for your files. Anyone know the name? I think the guy even posted on Cred Forums or even had his own board.

Found it: hydrusnetwork.github.io/hydrus/

>enforced patriarchy

>not using hashsums as filenames and having a DB containing its attributes and tags

pls go u cuck

XYplorer, proprietary but you can find a cracked version easily

root/file/videos/dog~
root/file/pictures/dog~

or;

root/file/dogs/*.png*, *.avi*~
root/file/cats/*.png*, *,avi*~

What about albums with various artists?

because there can be gifs and catdogs, i have tags
all files are assigned a filename which is its md5
so i have, let's say 967afe10f4046522adddbab6228541f2.png
the file has tags: animation, age2-3, cat, grey, 80%fem, etc