>macfags will defend this

Other urls found in this thread:

emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc
guillaumejamet.fr/PearPC/config_file_generator.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>macfags will defend this
... and why not.
It was way ahead of its time.
What else, in terms of system-wide search, is on your platform of choice?

OSX was so ugly back then

defend what? Sherlock? A dock on the left side? That version of OS X?

trolls literally do shit like this, don't they? well played, op

Defend what?
OSX 10.2?
Sherlock?
Search plugins?

>2000
>os x already had a search system
>lincuck got it only like 10 years later

Until yosemite OS X matched the hardware

What are you using to run ppc osx?

someone's having a meltdown.
stomp it out, kiddo

> what is gnu findutils
Faggot.

>using the shortcut with the carat nose

did it search Google, Amazon and other proto-botnets?

no i mean it buddy, just stomp around. that's why you've got the basement - so nobody will hear you having a tantrum.

but we're tired of the same old ipajeet jokes. they don't even make sense. pajeets overwhelmingly use windows XP and 7.

Man, I really want a Macbook. Whose clit do I have to lick to get one?

whatever you say, GNU pajeet

>pajeets overwhelmingly use windows XP and 7
not the homosexual ones

you're definitely winning! keep it up champ!

Oh yea, keep talking dirty to me like that! I love it when people call me a dirty little iManSlut.

fucking cancer tho

homos in india get stoned to death or something, don't they? i mean i just figure they must.

autistic people keep repeating themselves, so i guess we should be grateful that they're so amenable to comment filtering.

>finder looks like the smiley with the carat nose

>there are people who haven't put this in the thread watcher

Fuck off, iLel retards.

you forgot r a j e s h

pearpc

emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc
guillaumejamet.fr/PearPC/config_file_generator.php

wtf i need to post my fizbuzes

OwO what's this?

Think I'll just stick with qemu desu

it can do BOTH old world and new world macs

>OS X could do this in 2003

>Windows couldn't do this until 2014

t. gnu pajeet

Serious question. Do you think these posts are funny? I think cuckposts are funny because of how autistic the stuff they write is. It has humor and a bit of satire. What does your post have? Do you really think someone is going to seriously fall for lazy baiting like this seriously? They're humoring you when they do.
I don't think you want to be on Cred Forums when you're 26. Just start working on your attention span and go read some books.

whatever you say, pajeet

You talking about the virtual desktops or displaying all open windows? Because it's called alt-tab you dumb fucking faggot.

comfy

Are you being serious right now?

Nice projection btw, it tells us more about your fragile existence than it does about us real computer experts. Now fuck off back to and you iFuck piece of subhuman trash. Don't forget to kill yourself along the way.

Are you? Even Vista introduced Win-Tab command. The only thing new in that picture are the virtual desktops.

super+tab just displays icon and/or title

virtual desktops are useless on stacking window managers

work harder user, maybe someday you'll be able to afford a mac :^)

I got something better, the Dell XPS 15, not some iToy piece of overheating and throttling garbage.

If I was projecting I'd say you're a 26 year old drug addict sitting behind a computer trolling people. What I'm doing is asking you why you bother to post such lazy, boring troll posts. I mean anyone else will look at your post an agree it's lazy. What's the point in posting it? There's no creativity to it. You're just saying the same thing that's been said over and over again. Do you really find that funny? Stop avoiding the question.

Win+Tab was a joke. You couldn't see all your open windows and Alt+Tab was just faster. Though I'll humor your. Win+Tab was only a feature in 2005 pre-release Vista and then came on the market in 2006. Panther included exposé back in 2003. Linux had something similar by 2004.
The important thing here is that you think Alt+Tab is anything like expose. Alt+Tab has been part of OS X forever. Expose is nothing like Alt+Tab at all. One gives you icons of open windows/applications, the other actually shrinks the windows down so you can see them all at once on your screen, and go to the one you want.

You still don't get it. We're not talking about virtual desktops. Do you see any virtual desktops in that 2003 screenshot of OS X 10.3? Of course not. We're talking about having an overview of all your windows. It took Windows 11 years to do something both OS X and Linux could do since 2003/2004. That's the point being made.
Not trying to say you're a teenager, but if you are it'd make sense why you wouldn't understand what's being shown. If that's the case I forgive you. I wouldn't know shit about Amiga or Commodore myself, so why berate you for something that was before your time?

>Justifying your purchase this hard
Maybe you'll get a Mac someday, Pajeet.

>I don't think you want to be on Cred Forums when you're 26

>The important thing here is that you think Alt+Tab is anything like expose.
Aero has some dope ass functionalities m8, you don't know shit

>I don't think you want to be on Cred Forums when you're 26.
tfw 26 and stuck here forever

Yeah. Pinstripe OS X was ugly as sin. It was the worst looking OS of its time, which is impressive because it had some pretty ugly contemporaries, like XP/Luna. The early 2000s were the dark ages of visual design in UIs. OS X only started to look good (again) with Tiger.

Seriously, nobody but an iPajeet would defend iTrash this fucking hard. Just kill yourself already to spare yourself of such a miserable existance.

This thread is intended for discussion of the beauty of pre-Leopard Mac OS X only.

hOmoSeX never looked good, unless you like computers and their user interfaces to match your favorite fisher price toys.

>hOmoSeX
HAHAAH EPIC LULZ! :)

>OS X only started to look good (again) with Tiger
cmon panther was decent

underrated

10.4 was when it started going back downhill

10.3 was the nicest looking osx
- subtle pinstriping to give things some texture
- comfy brushed metal theme
- icon and graphics style a nice balance (not too shiny, not too flat)

>inb4 macfag
i never owned it, but my school used macs, so i used it quite a bit
at one point i even riced up my xp to look like panther

>It took Windows 11 years
So what? Nobody here is using an OS from that time.
>dat rant
You can stop being passive aggressive, it isn't helping.

forgot picture

The expose clones for Windows were pretty fucking terrible compared to the real thing. The animations were non-existant or shit, and it looked disgusting. I also remember applications just not working with it at all. Composite window managing has been in OS X since day 0, back in the 2000 beta. It's had plenty of time to be perfected into what it is now (Mission Control), which Windows 10 emulates poorly.

>So what? Nobody here is using an OS from that time.
Window's 10 version of OS X's window management is a joke. It's superficially similar and doesn't work nearly as well as it does on OS X. Apple had 11 years to perfect their implementation.

>You can stop being passive aggressive, it isn't helping.
Right! I know what I'm talking about and from your posts it's clear you don't. It's mildly annoying to see blind Apple hate, especially when people are defending babby's first OS (Windows).

I guess 10.3 was okay. It's certainly when OS X started looking a little more sensible.

>subtle pinstriping
I'd rather not have this though.

Brushed metal windows were a mistake as well. I'm glad Apple made them look more and more similar to normal windows and eventually just made them the same. It really didn't make sense to have the two different styles when the distinction between them didn't mean anything. Of course, brushed metal looked "better," so developers in the know would adopt the brushed metal style for their apps regardless of whether it was appropriate.

horrible

wow you're stupid

wow except for the retarded-ass dock that looks like xfce or oxygen

apple knew their shit.

pinstripe > brushmetal

actually, 10.5 or 10.9 master race.

Don't think of the dock as being a launcher, it's more like the Windows 7 taskbar combined with the tray.
OS X's try is meant for stuff that you never really need to open a window for. They're essentially meant to be drop down buttons. Think your volume control or wifi management icons on any OS.
On OS X when you're running a torrent client or something similar that you want a window for, but don't want to see for extended periods of time, you just close the window and it keeps running. The dock shows you what applications are currently running regardless of what windows are open or visible. It shows notifications for your applications such as how many messages your have or if a torrent/conversion is done. It's like the best parts of the tray combined with the best parts of a task bar.
I think people tend to hate how the OS X UX works because they try and treat it like it's Windows or something. The two have entirely different design philosophies and OS X is clearly superior to what Windows has to offer.

>doesn't work nearly as well
What exactly are your issues with it?
>annoying to see blind Apple hate
I know this company is all you have and personal attacks like this are sensitive, please accept my apology. I promise I'll walk on eggshells just for you.
>defending babby's first OS
I am not defending anything, you argument is shit and I am pointing it out.

can we all just agree OS X developer preview was the high water mark for its ui design

Rhapsody a best mac os UI

First off it's in a grid pattern. Why not a natural explosion that shows where your windows all were originally coming from before being shrunk down? The creation of new virtual desktops was more of a hassle than it needed to be, but I gave up even trying after a while so I didn't get too much exposure to that.

>I know this company is all you have and personal attacks like this are sensitive, please accept my apology. I promise I'll walk on eggshells just for you.
So far you haven't even provided a real complaint. That's evidence because no one I've responded to has so far, despite there being lots of good reasons to hate Apple. Why don't you give us some examples, you are obviously very passionate about this.

>I am not defending anything, you argument is shit and I am pointing it out.
I'm attacking Windows, Windows users and people who blindly hate Apple. So if you're not defending Windows and you aren't a Windows users then you're still someone who blindly hates Apple. Again, you could just give some reasons why OS X is bad, but you've yet to do so.

Does OSX now still retain the Unix branding?

>shows where your windows all were originally coming from
Why is that important when the whole point is just a better alt+tab?
>more of a hassle than it needed to be
lol, how is win+ctrl+d hard?
>real complaint
> give some reasons why OS X is bad
I told you I am not trying to blaspheme against your gods, I am just responding to your "OS X did it first!!!" argument and how shit it is when you bring it up over a decade later.

I guess so because the new MacOS Sierra will not be allowing root privileges globally anymore, for example. Even proprietary software is increasingly becoming more based on Unix than it's not. I heard Windows is including bash.

>Why is that important when the whole point is just a better alt+tab?
Because it gives your visual information showing where your windows were all placed, so you'll know where to move your cursor to once you selected your window. Animations are meant to guide you, not just look pretty. Many developers don't seem to understand this though.

>lol, how is win+ctrl+d hard?
Because I can't simply drag a window I want into a new desktop. If you're going to create something that emulates mission control then do it right. Even Gnome 3 does this shit right.

>I told you I am not trying to blaspheme against your gods, I am just responding to your "OS X did it first!!!" argument and how shit it is when you bring it up over a decade later.
That was an insult. It was implying it's fucking pathetic that it took Windows 11 years to do something both Linux and OS X did in the previous decade. Microsoft was working on index searched back in 2003, before Tiger came out in 2005. That doesn't mean Window's indexed search is that great compared to alternatives on other operating systems however.

Either way we're arguing about silly things. The only reason I can think someone would blindly post Apple hate on Cred Forums despite not having good arguments is feel they fit in better. You're anonymous. This isn't Reddit, you don't have to cater to popular opinion just because.

Shocker, Apple operating systems have always represented the high water mark of GUI design. That's why everything closely resembles them now.

That looks almost no different then Tiger does.

>If you're going to create something that emulates mission control then do it right. Even Gnome 3 does this shit right.
i3 does it better than any of your shitty WM, fuck off

so?

Windowmaker has aged pretty well, though.

So how was Tiger the beginning of when it went downhill?

i feel like it's more of a testament to how important a consistent design language is. windows was so all over the place that early on windows 10 seemed to have no coherent design.

i know this seems superficial, but every time you encounter a different contextual menu, you have to learn a new set of patterns to look for. there's a lot of research into stuff like this, especially some work using NASA's Task Load Index assessment tool. the core insight is that there's more to interaction design and UX/UI than measuring how rapidly users can complete a given task (and even that is too high a bar in some cases).

windows has gotten better, but os x has been relatively consistent across version updates, and i haven't heard of a situation where things like contextual menus are so fucked up as pic related

Can I make El Capitan or Sierra look like this?

Tiling Window managers are a fucking joke. You are either forced to use multiple desktops to hide windows you don't need at the moment. hide them in general or show them in full. You can't do something like pic related. I don't need to see the full discord window, but I don't want to hide it either. I want to see just enough to know there's new messages. At least i3 is one of the least shitty tiling WMs, but that's not saying much.

I can do the same thing as Expose on KDE, BTW.

>i haven't heard of a situation where things like contextual menus
maybe because most mac users (post-jobs) did not even know of ctrl+click to get a contextual menu

Last I checked, no you can't. KDE's expose functions more like Exposé from OS X, not like Mission Control from modern versions of OS X.

Fuck this one button no 2 finger scroll trackpad. Its the only part i hate about my TiBook.

>maybe because most mac users (post-jobs) did not even know of ctrl+click to get a contextual menu
You can right click without ctrl+click in OS X though. you could since... i don't know, when did they phase out the puck mouse?

You get the contextual menu by clicking with two fingers in the trackpad, or if you use the conventional mouse then by clicking the right side of the mouse.

Is your joke supposed to highlight that you're embarrassingly unfamiliar with apple shit?

Well, Aero was called a ripoff of Aqua back in the day. I believe a lot of the stuff it has been doing OSX had already been doing. Also, Linux distros had been doing virtual desktops for years now, which Windows only just got with Windows 10. It could've been different, though. The earliest leaked Windowz Longhorn build, 3683, (leaked in 2002,) allowed you to select virtual desktops right from the Sidebar! (You could also search the web right from the Sidebar, too, which is cool.)

Also, I believe Longhorn was supposed to be launching Google-like Desktop Search, (powered by WinFS,) before anything else, but in the end OSX beat Microsoft to the punch with Spotlight. (All of the potential capabilities of WinFS have still not yet been realized in modern operating systems, though.)

>so you'll know where to move your cursor to once you selected your window
How shitty does you mouse have to be for this to be a problem?
>I can't simply drag a window I want into a new desktop.
Start your program in the new desktop then
>it took Windows 11 years
Microsoft's products are used for important work and therefore people depend on them. It is not a toy OS where where random changes to workflow just happen because a designer fresh out of college shat them on paper.
>back in 2003, before Tiger came out in 2005.
But they got two extra years to improve on it!
>Apple hate
Holy shit the fursecution, what is it with these iToddlers? The world does not revolve around you and your cult.

Pinstripe era Mac OS X was best era Mac OS X. 10.3, when the pinstripes became less pronounced, was the best looking version.

You could always do it. Macs have always supported two button mice, Kensington and Logitech peripherals etc.

This. I have some logitech drivers on OS9 that allow for 3 button mice with scroll wheels.

Yup, this kind of thing drives me completely bonkers in Windows. No consistency, every program behaves differently, puts stuff in different places.

Not saying Apple never breaks their own HIG, they do, frequently, but by and large things behave predictably. File / Edit / View / Go / Windows / Help, they have hierarchical nesting menus down pat.

Then you look at the quickbar on an Office product... ho-lee shit. What on earth is quick about it? It's hunt and peck writ large. Utter nightmare.

>How shitty does you mouse have to be for this to be a problem?
The fact you're even asking this question shows you have no sense of UX design.

>Start your program in the new desktop then
Why would I do that when my current setup has this capability? Shouldn't this useful function be the standard? I'd be surprised if you couldn't move Windows between virtual desktops so easily on Windows 10.

>Microsoft's products are used for important work
They're used by office plebs whose only valuable skill is being able to type and handle bureaucratic nonsense. Microsoft Office is one of the biggest money makers for Microsoft. Serious computing is usually done on specialized workstations. Many of these run Windows, many also run some Unix-like. Sure they probably don't run OS X, but remember we're talking about if Windows is a "serious work" OS. TPS cover letters aren't what I'd consider "important".

>therefore people depend on them.
No, you have it wrong. People depend on Windows because it's the blacksheep of the OS world. It does things different for the sole purpose of getting you used to Microsoft's way of doing things. Did you ever wonder why every other relevant OS have their basis in Unix?

>It is not a toy OS where where random changes to workflow just happen because a designer fresh out of college shat them on paper.
Are you seriously going to pretend Windows 8 and Windows 10 didn't happen? 8.1 even "reintroduced" the start menu because people were so upset, only to find it wasn't the start menu they really wanted. OS X's UX has remained fairly consistent, even if the UI hasn't.

>OS X's UX has remained fairly consistent, even if the UI hasn't.

True. If you have used any OSX from leopard onward (and even Tiger isnt a big jump UI wise) you can instantly pick up sierra and not be too confused.

Forgot a bit of your post. Sorry, I'm a drug addict and I'm high on xanax right now.

>But they got two extra years to improve on it!
And they still managed to make something that doesn't work as well as OS X's indexer. Sad.

>Holy shit the fursecution, what is it with these iToddlers? The world does not revolve around you and your cult.
Do you realize what thread you're posting in?

Office's recent changes are pretty much why i use LaTeX now (i stopped using excel much earlier in favor of R, Python, and JS (ggplot2, d3.js, numpy/scipy, etc...), in part because i needed clearer separation of data and logic)

honestly, latex seems a lot more daunting at the outset than it truly is. there's a bit of cargo cult in there, which makes me nervous, but latex is like a case study in stable (if gnarly) technical foundations. i have no doubt that latex will exist in 10 years, or 20, or 30, and that the documents i have right now will be compilable (or at least fixable) in those years.

a professor in my group (i'm a phd student; he's not my advisor, but in the same area) has some powerpoint files that he's been wanting to open, but he can't find an old enough computer to do it. that sort of shit is bonkers. if only latex/beamer were better...

>a professor in my group (i'm a phd student; he's not my advisor, but in the same area) has some powerpoint files that he's been wanting to open, but he can't find an old enough computer to do it. that sort of shit is bonkers.

Run an old version of Windows in a VM with Office 97 and you can be his hero.

>has some powerpoint files that he's been wanting to open, but he can't find an old enough computer to do it.
sounds kinda weird, I pretty routinely transfer and edit files between '97 and 2010/'16 versions of office

it's more backwards compatibility that sucks shit than anything

>Did you ever wonder why every other relevant OS have their basis in Unix?
while I mostly agree with you I have to call you out here, it's certainly not because Unix was superior or the "norm" if that's what you're trying to imply, it's because it was cheap and easy to clone, and like Windows, it was all that survived.

besides, that point only really applies to what happens under the hood, the likes of OS X, BSD, Solaris, AIX, IRIX and company are all just as different and riddled with their own "isms" like Windows on the desktop and even in the terminal