/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

jolie-fille.fr/selection-jolies-filles-sexy/
howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/
microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-R-14-R5-471T-58F-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.3046202100?Icid=EDU_EN_pdp_offer
go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262
go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683
dazloader.xyz/
tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
pcpartpicker.com/list/FZVXRG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm having trouble getting my torendo to work correctly.

Reinstalled it. Restarted. Says pic related. Not running any anti-virus aside from Windows firewall.

Tell me Cred Forums I have a SATA SSD and a motherboard that does not have the M2 port so was thinking about getting a PCI-E SSD instead of a new motherboard.

Is there much difference in speed between M2 SSD and PCI-E SSD?

I've downloaded a zip file that contained a video file in FLV format and a .scr file.
I've tried to run a "video" file in VLC, but it didn't play, instead the title menu showed the names of several dll.
How fucked I'm?

I've tried "netsh int ter set state enterpriseclient" but it just says pic related. I need it to say "dormant" instead of "offline".

whats the least painful way of having multi-arch C/C++ builds on jenkins?
i've tried matrix project so far and its a hassle, that leaves pipeline or making clones of the same build project for every different arch
(like: project-osx, project-win32, project-win64 etc)

Why did qBittorrent say -1 Peers for a little while?

M.2 is literally PCIe (and/or SATA)
You can get a PCIe to M.2 PCIe adapter card pretty cheap if you would prefer to get a M.2 SSD and maybe move it to a real M.2 slot in the future

In theory a full PCIe card SSD can be faster since M.2 is limited to 4 lanes

There is some, but not any discernible difference, no.

You shouldn't be unless you "installed some additional codecs"
Also sauce?

Now I have proof. Pic related.

Try installing klite codec pack and running it in MPC-HC. If that doesn't work, you just downloaded a fucked file.

Ok, I fucked up, i removed gtk+3 on Debian, then did autoremove

Now I have no internet or GUI whatshowever. How do I fix this? I still have the installation CD

Had some dude get some information about our IP Address and shit a couple hours ago (through my little sister's Skype). He hid his IP as a precaution. Any way to get him back? Still got his Skype name and everything.
His Skype: [Toxic] 卐 iiHiddenPrince 卐

How do I programatically check if a proxy is working? I don't want code, but just an efficient method to look into. Right now I'm just using the proxy and trying to request google.com and if it's a success I say the proxy is good, if not, it's bad, is there a better way?

If an AV receiver has front speaker A and B, can you run 2 sets of front speakers at once?
The settings are usually to run A or B and A+B together. But A+B together are meant for speakers requiring more power, isn't it?

I don't think skype leaks IP addresses anymore

>installed some additional codecs
Like what?
Also I'm running on linux, but totalvirus gave it 6/56.
jolie-fille.fr/selection-jolies-filles-sexy/
>you just downloaded a fucked file
I'm less worried a bout a corrupted file, I suspect it to be a malware.
And since it's named .flv VLC tried opening it, instead it tried to run any media but just got the executables.

I see now that you can just buy PCIE to M2 adapters, thanks.

Weird. Only way he could've done it :/

Sometimes the video player asks you to install some additional codecs to play the file. Which basically means giving the file permission to install arbirtrary software.

It didn't even ask that.
The VLC title menu started to display the names of several dll, then went idle.
Just like when you try play zip/rar files with VLC.

How do I block Windows 7 telemetry? Is Anti-Beacon up-to-date?

Sounds like you've got a zip/rar stack

>zip/rar stack
What's that?

protip: .scr is a "screensaver", which is actually just an exe
a zip of an flv and a scr sounds pretty dodgy, unless it is actually meant to be a screensaver (that plays a video, perhaps?)

It's a stack of zip-rar on top of itself, nigga

>a zip of an flv and a scr sounds pretty dodgy
I know it's dodgy.
I didn't think flv can be packed with ddl, to execute malicious code.
How does the malware in these get activated?
I doubt a video file can run the actual malware unless you run it yourself.
You mean the flv file is a zip file?
this explain vlc behavior

Anyone?

What? Yo, here's another little piece of advice-vice

You take some zip then some rar
Then some zip then some rar
You've got a zip-rar stack
A zip-rar stack

is this from a song or something?

What's good for?
Hiding MIME file types?

what do /sqt/? I know ... "le nvidia" but I'm poor and my richfag buddy gave his "old" PC to me when he bought his new gaming setup. So how do I fix this error? Its slackware btw...

No reason it wouldn't be. Known windows 7 telemetry updates haven't come out in a while. I'd still remove the updates manually though.

How do I properly calibrate my monitors and my systems profiles for them? I have a Pantone Huey Pro, and it does work, but only sort of. The software basically works like f.lux does, which means only the computers settings, not the monitors, and full screen games and closing some programs tends to make it crash. Plus I don't know if it has Linux software, and I'm going to dual-boot soon.

I am looking for an image viewer which will only display the pitcure (so no title bar or options and stuff). Anybody knows one?

What would be some basic projets to use array in javascript ?

Like shuffling a deck for exemple.

How many hours per week do you spend on homework/assignments as a CompSci student?

I'm a freshman and I'm spending 4 hours a day on homework. Am I retarded?

>I'm a freshman and I'm spending 4 hours a day on homework. Am I retarded?
Stanford CS students spend about 20 hours per week on problem sets, so no, you're probably not retarded (unless you're taking like 1 class, then maybe, but more likely you just need to visit office hours more).

>Stanford CS students
I'm not going to such a high tier university. Just a simple college.

my experience (mid-tier public university, stanford, and community college) is that aside from community college, the university's rank doesn't affect the rigor of the courses that much.

but even if it did, that way of thinking about things should lead you to expect that you're proportionately less competent than a stanford student that even if your classes are 50% as hard as a stanford course, you're also 50% as competent as a stanford student, and the course load should be roughly the same.

also i just double checked and actually ~20 units seems to translate to 40 hours per week. i was looking at my course load, but since i only take ~8-10 units (grad student), i only clock about half of a typical undergrad workload (the other 20+ hours go to research).

Does anyone have a good link for adobe photoshop cc portable version without having to install it?

Can you get malware just from connecting to a public wifi?

I hear people mention generics a lot but I use javascript.

What are generics?

also, for real, go to office hours. i can't tell you how many hours grad students and professors waste just sitting around waiting for someone to ask them for help. and then we get like a dozen emails from different students asking for accommodations because they had some issue that they should have brought to our attention ages ago.

once someone emailed me on the last day of the quarter for entering that he failed a pass/fail seminar because he didn't sign in for any of the talks. you sign in with a google form. we sent 3 emails to every student in the last 2 weeks, and 2 additional emails to everyone who was failing, and he didn't pipe up till grades were entered.

this shit drives me fucking crazy. you're not retarded. just get some assistance. we're literally paid to help you pass.

XnView, Honeyview, etc.

Not if you don't install anything, but people can intercept all your data.

So it's looking increasingly likely that my cats will outlive me, what's the best way to be sure they are well cared for after I am gone? They are the only family I have left and it would be heartbreaking to think of them getting sent off to some cramped shelter and later euthanized or something.

I think your fellow students would be the ones to ask. And maybe talk to a campus sponsored tutor/your advisor about whether it's possible to pick up the pace. But as long as you're getting the work done, it really doesn't matter how long it takes everyone else. Some people are just slower at academics.

I usually did fuck all until it came around midterm time or when some major project was due and then I'd do a week or so of frenzied catching up to get it done in time. Though of course this will depend on the course and university.

Thanks for the explanation! Really puts in into perspective.

I have one question though, 1 unit = 1 hour of time spend at school? I'm Dutch so I'm not familiar with this system.

Sure. Happens all the time. That's a big part of why modern windows has such ridiculously high malware numbers.

Find some nice cat people, put some ads on craigs list or in the news paper and interview them and make sure they're good people.

I would only trust white people desu.

set up a living trust or some shit and leave all your stuff to the cats,

If all of the resources currently owned by people were distributed 100% equally, would there be no poverty or hunger anymore?

you can look at different sources, they cite different amounts. it really depends on the university's norms, and even then professors move around often enough that it's hard to really force them to adhere to anything. certainly, i've never heard of a course being adjusted (or an instructor being admonished) for giving students too much work for a 4 or 5 unit course.

all that being said, i've heard that 1 unit = 3 hours of work per week, but there are differing opinions on that. for example, UMichigan apparently says that 1 unit should equal 2-3 hours outside of class. stanford says 2 hours outside of class, plus 1 in class. this might sound like nitpicking, but the outcomes at 16-20 units or more each additional hour stacks up.

also, it depends heavily on the individual. these estimates are totally wrong for many, many people. if you breeze through problem sets, or if your major involves a lot of reading and you just blow right through readings, then 2 hours per unit makes no sense for you.

No.

Some people would eventually end up accumulating a lot of the resources and some people wouldn't use their resources wisely.

Some would lack the ability to use their resources.

It would be moronic.

poverty is relative, so yes.
if just all food waste was distributed to the hungry there would be no hunger
if you were to redistribute all resources, the system by which we produce resources would be destroyed

citations needed

My phone is receiving the same text in intervals of about 20-60 mins about 20 times since last night. It's happened with 2 different contacts. Any ideas?

if smartphones are botnets, why no one is tracking the terrorist.
stallman btfo.

How do you make conditional hotkeys on GNOOOOO Linux? I want to bind "escape" to send Alt+F4 only if a Pidgin window is active. What program do I use? Xbindkeys doesn't do conditionals afaik.

AutoHotkey does this kind of thing very well, I'm pretty sure it has a Linux variant but not 100% on that

It doesn't really. There was IronAHK but it's abandoned and trash. Linux has a few programs like Xbindkeys that are functional for most tasks but can't into conditionals.

>would there be no poverty or hunger anymore?

Anything gained would be irrelevant and quickly slide back to the previous ways.

You need to set up infrastructure for resource distribution and informed management. The type of resource distribution and management is currently only set up to accommodate capitalism. To get rid of poverty, you need to get rid of the conditions that create it. Capitalism is probably the largest condition that poverty hinges on.

This is also why charity tends not to work. It's not attacking the problem at its root.

I would like qutebrowser to start as soon as startx has started. I am trying to do this in Arch but I can't seem to get it to work. Could anybody help?

I want to be able to carry my PC through the rain, what are some things I could put over it to protect it? I can only think of garbage bags, but the ones I have are too small and buying ones just for my computer seems too ironic.

Best android torrent app?

Putting it in a large suitcase would probably suffice as long as you're not out for too long.

A well sealed plastic bag.

Vuze.

What's a good free software to burn DVDs to play on a DVD player?

Trying to get a job working at a local tech shop (currys/pcworld) what certs should I get and what kind of projects should I have on my github, also how do I make my github resume ready - currently has an anime profile picture

how do Imake my qbittoreent look that good?

Building PC. Rear exaust fan is only 3 pin, but the connector is 4. Reading the manual it says the second pin in is PWM.

So how do I plug this in?

Just plug it and leave the left ping alone.

ImgBurn

My old laptop is bust.
How do I migrate to the new laptop?
Running windows?
I doubt swapping the HDD would work, right?

I've done it between thinkpads and then just installed extra drivers after it booted up, in my experience it works

Same model?
I though driver incompatibility would result in BSoD.

nope x60 and an x220

Neat, will try and see how it goes.
And old drivers should be deleted?
howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

yeah

I want to know how to edit a keyboard languages to include more letters.

I use the English International keyboard. I lets me type a lot of characters with diacritics by using keyboard combinations. For example, pressing shift+6 and then a vowel lets me type a vowel with a circumflex (Ê), and pressing ' and then c allows me to type ç.

The thing is, I want to add an extra character without needing to writing the alt code or replacing an existing character.

I just use KDE with Breeze Dark theme.

I'm having this error with qtcreator, can't find a fix. pls help

[CODE]/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL[/CODE]

well fuck me, I messed up the tags

Thanks, that was really helpful!

How to fix the bad pool caller error?

I fixed it myself, google sure does have all the answers XD

I'm using clonezilla to backup my HDD.
Does clonezilla backup empty space as well?
I mean will the backup of a 500GB hdd that uses 300GB of the storage be, 500 GB or 300GB?

Update, I found the Microsoft Keyboard Customizing software, but it only allows me to edit the keys at shift and shift+control states.

Run MEMTEST.

Probably replacing RAM.

I have a small problem with my arduino project. I have two xbee's which have been set up to communicate, these are working fine. One of the Xbee's is on an Xbee shield attached to an Arduino Uno, this is using software serial. I have a sketch which is sending data from an analogue joystick to the other Xbee mounted on an Arduino wireless SD shield, which is plugged into an Arduino Mega 2560. This arduino is using the hardware TX,RX (0, 1) pins. When both arduino's are plugged in, the Uno begins sending data. the Mega only receives this data whilst I hold down the reset button. Otherwise the PWR and RSSI LEDs are lit, and the RX and TX do absolutely nothing. Anyone know what might be going on here?

halp

It could also be related to driver problems.

Because they're not website specific.

Go to chrome and delete autocomplete/autofill forms

Thank you. This thread truly does house stupid questions.

Yo, linux newfag here chose the ubuntu distro 'cause "recommended to beginners." I use a WiFi donger to connect to the internet it came with a driver for windows holding an .exe setup but I just get errors on ubuntu. I did some searching and apparently I need to get WINE, but that requires internet in its own self...

WHAT DO?!

Where should i place my class in Laravel?
How should i call it?
by call:$class = new class(); $class->function();

What is a sturdy, reliable, reasonably priced and good on value netbook for college use? Thanks

Windows drivers don't work under linux even if you use WINE.
Please tell me this is a bait

The empty space doesn't have much affect on the size of your backup, plus clonezilla compresses the file contents, so your backup could easily 250GB or less, depending on what kinds of files you have. However if your original backup is of a 500GB partition, you will need at least 500GB of free space if you want to restore it.

microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Acer-Aspire-R-14-R5-471T-58F-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.3046202100?Icid=EDU_EN_pdp_offer

Is this a good price? It's 520 USD

So, what do I do exactly?

what do you use for wifi └༼ຈلຈ༽

>Gets told what to do
>Asks what to do

Run. Mem. Test.

Replace ram if necessary.

I see, and if the new HDD is 1TB?
will I need to resize my partitions?
Or modify my partition table/mount point in fstab after restoring?

I did mention I'm a "newfag," do you need it on bold text maybe even italicized?

It can do 'bigger' no problem. Plus resizing after the fact is no big.

You need linux drivers.

Netgear dongle a6100 I think

Im a freetard who runs as little google shit on his phone, unfortunately ive yet to find a good alternative to Maps on android. I just discovered you need a fucking account to put markers in places, nothing complicated just a fucking simple marker but it needs an account. Any idea to workaround this? Here maps asks for an account too.

Go on my friend... where would I look for these drivers?

How can I burn a Linux iso to a usb on a computer that I don't have admin rights on?

I have two Windows 7 drives. One is my old drive, which was installed when I only had the one. One is my new drive, which I unplugged the old drive to install. Can I safely have them both plugged in, or will booting into one fuck up the other because Microsoft is retarded?

>uses android
>thinks he can avoid google
as a freetard shouldn't you be using an ubuntuphone or some shit?

A quick youtube search should show you how to burn linux onto a bootable usb. (Linux newfag here as well) Clueless on the. admin part.

By gaining root access.

>ubuntuphone or some shit?
Shit that doesn't work or dead projects? No thanks, I've been doing fine for years without gapps and playstore, it's just Maps what keeps something google on my phone. Tried OSM but found it's cartography to be terrible plus no streetview.

That attitude won't get you help.
Type iwconfig in terminal and post it here.

What should I use instead of truecrypt?

I'm trying to grab all the windows updates (windows 7 professional, 64-bit). I had 203 updates queued up and restarted my computer (a new build with fresh windows on an SSD).
On shutdown everything was fine, doing the thing where it updates from 1 to 203 slowly. When I started it back up however, it said something like "error configuring windows updates, rolling back changes" (not the exact words cause my OS isn't in English)

Now these updates are all in the windows update history marked as "failed". Windows doesn't appear to try to redownload them.

What's the best course of action here? How do I make it try to install those again?

veracrypt

Apologizes oldfag, I'll be less dickish. Sadly not in front of a terminal atm. Hopefully thread is still alive and kick later

I'm having this thing where youtube videos will work normally for a while, then flash once and refuse to play after that

I can still click on different points of the video, and it will load the frame, but the video doesn't play. Started off with the videos just flickering occasionally at first, so on the first vid I figured it was just bad editing. Then it did the still frame thing and now it does that just a few seconds into any video

Your easiest bet is to connect up to ethernet so linux can download the correct driver automatically. If that didn't work, you would get the package using ubuntu. If you were really desperate, you could try downloading them manually from a website, but that's usually a pretty big PITA.

Yeah there shouldn't be any problems. Just pick which drive you want in the boot menu, or use easyBCD to list both drives in one of their boot managers and set that drive as your defaut in bios.

How long will it be before videogames with better graphics than real life become the norm?

Can you plug normal fans into "pump headers"?

I am trying to launch it but it doesn't work.

shut the fuck up LOL

Is PeerBlock really useless?

I finally worked up the courage to stop using it yesterday but I just feel so naked without it, even if rationally I know it was probably placebo and wasn't even updating for a long time since their subscription bullshit kicked in.

I'll try that, thanks

Its placebo as fuck

A placebo that induces a false sense of security is worse than useless.

Are private trackers also placebo?

There is nothing on a private tracker that is not on a public tracker.
Alot of groups release to public trackers anymore

what if you watch a lot of anime?

Read my previous post

You're noticeably less likely to actually have your ISP come after you with a PT, but if you care I still wouldn't use anything less than a VPN, VPS or seedbox

>this is what pub tracker plebs actually believe

>paying money to attain a epeen arbitrary "ratio"
Its not the suprnova era, private trackers are useless kiddo
oink was the only valid private tracker, and look how the feds took it down
>but muh private tracker is teh l337 sekure

so my uncle gave me a pair of Polk Audio RTi4s when he "upgraded" to a soundbar, are these things decent at all?
I don't have anything to drive them, so I'm wondering if it's worth getting an amp and a pair of stands since they definitely won't fit on my desk
I've already got a good pair of headphones and a crappy cheap pair of Amazon speakers

Yeah it's okay buddy not everybody is smart enough to get into private trackers

This question is probably been asked before.
How to get into tech business? programer/IT/sysadmin?
Do I need to attend a college and have a degree? or a simple certificate would do?

Give me 10 torrents that are ONLY ACCESIBLE on private trackers

You simply cannot

Nah, just walk in and be like "y'all niggas hiring?"

Is how I got my first tech job.

i wouldn't know because I don't use pleb trackers

>deflecting

What's the best free floppy disk recovery software?

Isa there a way to see the size of folders in Windows explorer without having to click properties?

Whatever fag

I'm serious, I'm looking for another source of income.
I haven't eaten any fruit in months.

please respond

i was using autoruns to get rid of a virus that was lingering in my system, and i noticed there's a ton of AVG shit still in my computer even after uninstalling. is it ok to delete these, even if they're in system32? i'm a little nervous.

>be poor
>can't afford $10 fan splitters
>have a breadboard and leads
can I make my own fan splitter? is there any danger?

Yeah.
You could use ccleaner if paranoid.

Got into a fistfight with a customer at my job today, boss told me to go home for the day and we'd have words about this tomorrow, how fucked am I? Will I get fired? It was at least 50% the customer's fault and I need this job.

if you got into a physical fight with a customer you are 100% done

Not really. But you might like winDIRstat.

Run this
go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

google any unresolved errors it comes up with. If you're still having problems, run this

go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683

Just dont mix the cables and you'll be fine. You dont even need a breadboard, just soldering iron and some electrical tape.

Anyone?

Depends on your performance up to that point. You could get fired or just recieve a last warning.

I've done freelance repairs for people all my life basically, but was wondering if anyone has any experience as to what would probably be different besides the fact I have to work within a schedule and face to face with people more.
Also, what is a good pay rate for this type of job? The owner almost immediately gave me what I asked so I feel like I went way too low.

Thanks, I'm trying this now.

I was dumb enough to get the anniversary update.. well not really. It works. But is there a way to change the start menu back to the old Windows 10 style that hides all apps?

Holy shit my post got butchered let me retry
I am getting a job at a chain repair store so I am looking for insight from anyone who has worked at a repair store before.
I've done freelance repairs for people all my life basically, but was wondering if anyone has any experience as to what would probably be different besides the fact I have to work within a schedule and face to face with people more.
Also, what is a good pay rate for this type of job? The owner almost immediately gave me what I asked so I feel like I went way too low.

>Sturdy
If you want sturdiness then get ready to pay.
I would probably recommend the X220i and hp 2570p because
>both are 12,5" laptops
>Hp in particular is easy to do maintenance
you can probably get these laptops for 200-400€

But hp often overheats because shitty cooling.

someone said I could download all the images in a board the other day. How would I do that?

ychan (google it)

then don't be a idiot and keep close eye on those thermals dipshit

As it for now, I have decided to decommissioned my x220 due to it hitting temperatures of 90 Celsius and I have to restrict the power limit of cpu usage shit ton in order to hit high temps

And a bit more of lurking
This is true when it comes to consumer grade hp laptops not necessarily elitebook because they are business (enterprise) grade machines

I added the board, how do start downloading?

How long do i need to run prime95 so i can sure my oc is rock steady? Just recently oc'd my 4690k to 4ghz after 1.5 years of running it at stock. Have done some gayman on it and no problems so far but i want to be sure. Any other programs i should know about? Using speccy to monitor temps atm. Also does anyone have a working IntelBurnTest dl link?

IIRC it downloads one image per the time you set, check the folder you set it too

Which virtualization software you'd suggest on W10? I just want to create a staging area where I install stuff first on it and then install it on my real computer. I'm thinking about Virtual Box but I've never used it before, are there any downsides to it?

Not the other guy but what he said was essentially how I got my first job 2 weeks out of the Army. I literally walked into a local computer shop and asked if they were hiring. The guy asked for a resume and we talked for about 20 minutes in a very informal interview. I learned more working at the computer shop than the bullshit the army teaches.

I have 20 folders with 10 images each. Is there a way to get them all out of their folders so I can sort them easier?

What's the less convoluted way of using a laptop as a screen for something else?

Or how easy is it to repurpose a laptop monitor with lvds connector?

You're fucked you poor bastard.

If it is Linux:
mv ./*/* ./
[\code]
I haven't tried though, so take a backup first. There may be special cases.

Does no one know? Maybe I didn't word my problem clearly.

I am running a fresh install of Arch on my Chromebook. I want it to automatically start my browser when I log in. There are multiple ways to achieve this, but so far none of them are working.

Any help is appreciated.

Make a script in bash or python

I also failed at using tags. Cool, now you know you shouldn't trust me with this.

xinit
de/wm startup file

Read their docs/wiki...

Anyone know any software for writing .img's and .iso's to usb's on win7

rawrite32 is the simplest you can find. I like it for creating Linux images on windows.

depends on the job. at any retail store yeah, you're fucked. if its a smaller store or mom and pop shop youre gonna have to beg

Anyone got a good tutorial on setting up a local server on debian? It will simply act as a backup and file storing server. I've already installed debian onto the desktop I'll be using but skipped installing the GUI and went straight for terminal (I'm comfortable with terminal.)

I understand I need to prep my router for a port to listen on and then do some debian side networking but haven't found a tutorial that seems complete or full of extraneous steps for ricing. I'm a newfag to Linux but not to computers.

So again, anyone have a good tutorial I can follow?

I want to use my phone less, like only for neccessities, but I need whatsapp and other smartphone features. Currently have latest version of moto x but Im beginning to hate android, i like ios but I dont want to "compete", i dont want to get the newest iphone, and also dont want to spend much money. Should I go for iphone 5? Will there be happening anything interisting in the mobile scene this year like a linux phone or skmething, its been ios android for so long I cant even.

P-pls respond

I think I have an idea on another form of security (like a password). Ideally to be used under 2 factor authentication.

How would I know if this idea is taken without giving out my idea?

you cannot

If you live outside of the US there's an Ubuntu phone that's been gaining traction I believe.
Also, Google has there big phone announcement thing coming up and he's making it seem like it might be a whole new OS (in my opinion at least)

Welp, now I feel kind of stupid. At least I didn't make a seperate thread for this.

But I (finally) got it to work. Thanks a lot man

Bump need some assistance for my stupid question

Hyper-v if you've got pro. Otherwise VMware is the most powerful, but virtualbox is open source and still pretty good.

Rufus

How can I see the Pc name or something else to identify the device with it's IP/Mac address when it's in the same network? I only see the IP and Mac address with arp but that information is useless without a way to identify the device. I can use linux and windows for this.

Which software allows me to queue downloads from google drive chronologically? Free Internet Downloader downloads latest file first and thats bad. I want oldest file queued to be downloaded first.

Don't they need some CV?

I've never had a laptop before, but these days I spend enough time on the train and I've got enough off-hours during the day that I'd like one to shitpost or work on some stuff. I only expect it to handle text editors and movies, maybe some 2d games if I'm really bored. being able to dual boot linux is a plus, since I'm kind of interested in screwing around with that.

I'm trying to stay under 200 euro, possibly even 150 euro if I can help it. I was going to go for a cheapo thinkpad used, but I can't find any locally here in belgium and shipping from burgerland to here is stupid expensive. I've never used ebay, since nobody I know has anything good to say about it.

I'm not averse to buying used. Any reccomendations?

You're going to have a hard time with that price range and not getting shit, friend.

underrated poster

How do I browse using proxies?

in the context of a strong type system, generics allow you to program functions which work on a variety of types.

Well, how shit are we talking?

The t420 over in tpg is listed at just above 160 euro (in the us, I haven't been able to find it over here.) and that one seems highly reccomended. So I kind of expected something decent-ish in this pricerange.

how to configure (browser) to use proxies

I want to get arcgispro for my laptop because my uni only has arcgis on their lab computers.

How should I go about downloading it over uni wifi?

My linux machine has two hostnames now, apparently. I just rebooted to find out that I get an error in tty1 when I try to login, and when I use tty2 my hostname is changed to my windows hostname (that I didn't even set it to). It still says voidlinux (fsociety), but my PS1 is michael@dong. Anyone ever had this issue? All I did was enable NetworkManager in place of wpa_supplicant

But if everybody doesn't have to work then who will flip the burgers, clean toilets and dispose of garbage?

>How long do i need to run prime95
24 hours

I am an adult.
I wish to learn mathematics beyond basic addition and subtraction (fractions and above would be good).

I want to learn maths up to and including first year university stuff (so whatever is beyond basic calculus).

Are there iphone apps for this?

read a fucking book

people are getting more retarded everyday

Do power phases on a motherboard really matter if you're not overclocking?

>(fractions and above would be good)
You don't know fucking fractions?
You need to get a GED, if you don't know that then you're missing out on a lot of other general knowledge stuff. you are NOT prepared for calculus and won't be for a long time.

>stupid questions thread
Pull your head out of your ass, fucktron.

Does anyone know why firefox is doing this shit?

I didn't touch anything and after updating the font looks like this.

A book isn't easy to take with me.

I travel for work. I want to be able to do things at the airport, on the plane - just in general when travelling

I have degrees and a job. Just want to brush up on maths that I haven't done in years.
I want to restart from near basics just in case there is some misunderstanding. Anything from quadratics on will be complete relearning as I barely remember (a+a^2+a^3??)

Okay time for the real stupid questions.
I'm studying for an economics and computer science degree. I'm getting a diploma for each. I think it would be a major/minor in America. I only want to work in computer science.

Did I get memed?

Blease

I need some AdWare cancer programs. I should know dozens because of retarded family but I can't think of any. Any help?

It'd be a double major. Get a job programming for a bank, make big money.

Is there any way to stop an expired windows 10 trial from automatically shutting down?

Lots of tp's on marktplaats.nl, maybe give that a try.

dazloader.xyz/ is this where I download daz loader?

>daz loader

m a l w a r e

what should I use to activate windows then?

thanks for the tip senpai. Haven't seen any really good deals yet but at least I've got more choice here.

It's a restaurant, but not a national chain or anything. I work as a waiter there.

I'm really getting scared thinking about it, had been having a bad day but yeah I should have kept my cool. The guy was arguing with me over his bill and I was being polite with him until he spat in my face, and then I just saw red from that point and flew at him in a rage.

Should I take the fact that my boss did tell me to come back tomorrow to talk about this as encouragement? Or not? If I was gonna get fired wouldn't he have done it on the spot? Is there anything I should be doing to prepare here so I can be more ready to argue my case tomorrow? I mean I've been a good employee for over a year, I hope that's not all wiped out because of one ugly incident.

How do I install and use Tor without being placed on a government watch list

How do I get to website marketplaces so that I can make purchases on the dark web

What is the best virtual currency for the dark web (no meme currency)

I have a 64-bit CPU but only 2GB RAM.

I know that a x64 OS is meant to take advantage of computers with more than 4GB RAM, but is that the only purpose worth mentioning?

Should I install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU with 2GB of RAM or does it not matter if I already have a 32-bit OS on it?

If you have to ask this here you may want to reconsider whatever you're thinking about doing.

I'm going back to college to get a comp sci degree. I've never done much with computers, never did much with programming ever at all, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I want to build a career for myself, with the end goal of information security, but it's going to take about three years to get my degree.

Is it worth it? If I graduate with good grades, am I likely to get a decent job that will let me pay back my loans?

gentoo

Why do you even care about such a sack of shit?

I ripped some dvd movies with makeMKV (had to because ultraiso was unable to rip them for some reason). Whats a good program to convert video files into a dvd format?

It's all I have, and it does everything I need it to.

How bad of an idea is it to get a chromebook and put linux on it? Will it be capable of doing anything worthwhile?

Depends on your needs, obviously. You'll want to get one that can run GalliumOS.

You'll be fine. From what I know though, fresh CS jobs are typically brutal hours of grunt work but decent pay.

Either install the propietary 'nvidia' driver that your x.org config is looking for, or switch to nouveau.

Huge since it will a pain to install it for multiple reasons.

Always install x64 Bit OS, most programs are designed for it and wont run on a x32 OS.
Like literally all games since 2009 for example.

Also they all x64 programs run better than their x32 counterparts.

Daz loader, but that page is malware.
SHA-1 is different than the real one.

Here is the page of the real one:
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/58464-Windows-Loader-Download

You are so clueless, it fucking hurts.

I put my new computer together, everything done supposedly correctly, and it starts up but I can't get a video signal from either my graphics card or the onboard vga

In general 64bit is preferable, but at your level of ram it's a tough call. If you can minimize your ram usage, like by using Lxde, then 64 bit would probably be a good choice still.

I'm switching careers from systems engineering to computer science, someone convince me not to.

Is life really worth living?

reseat your processor, you dumbass.

Is it possible to abort a CPU instruction partway through?

Does having a touch screen in my laptop effect battery

I took out my processor and put it back in, still the same

yea but stop wasting everybody elses time

gf nexus 5s screen is cracked to hell, what new phone should she get? Thinking s7 but s6 is almost worth getting for how much cheaper it is and the specs are barely different.

Read this guide. Follow its steps like it's your final exam.

tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

That is all that can be done for you my son.

Jesus loves you

Probably not. The answer isn't the same for all people though.

I have to get a slim 120mm fan for my 4 HDD because they're getting too warm in their cage. It will have to share power with another front 120mm case fan using a splitter. I would assume this is okay, but I thought I would ask SQT. Everything is being plugged into the motherboard, not PSU.

Doesn't your PSU have a molex to spare?

It does, but my PSU is modular and I don't want to use the molex connector for just a slim 120mm fan.

Really stupid question for a networking homework. I feel like it's a trap question so I'm not so sure. it's just the beginning of the semester so I'm sure it will be baby shit for most of you

They give us the result of a tracert command to some website. the result is the roud-trip time inbetween each routers on the path leading to the address. They're asking which router you'd upgrade to improve the network. I feel like simply upgrading a router would have basically no consequence since all it could do (I believe) is reduce the processing delay time, which is already in the scale of microseconds, which is insignificant. To reduce the transmission delay and the queuing delay, you'd need : lines with better bandwidth in the first case, and more alternative paths to reduce congestion at the routers that are overrun in the second, but upgrading the router itself wouldn't (I think) have any incidence on those two types of delays. Or am I completely wrong here?

Here's my stupid question, Cred Forums.

I'm a programming student, mostly self taught (but I have taken a few courses at the community college), and I feel fairly competannt in my ability to solve problems, come up with algorithms, etc. My biggest problem is that all of my programs look fucking ugly because they're in the console.

I've learned the basics of HTML and CSS, and I can make a decent website, but I don't know shit about GUIs. Every tutorial I've done has ended before going into it. I'm emphasizing learning C# right now and the only tutorial I've found is the "Designing a User Interface" on msdn.

How/where is a good place to start learning about making a GUI?

>How/where is a good place to start learning about making a GUI?

2 fans off one header is fine.

If you're asking that here, then you're probably at a point where you're particularly unequipped to answer that for yourself. Also the question hinges on the idea that there are right and wrong answers, like life has meaning and truth is absolute. Any meaning beyond physics and cause/effect is just perspective. Every person has their own reasons to enjoy or loath living. Whether it's worth it to you depends on what you've got, what you are and how you see it. Some people are lucky enough to experience the world in such a way that it really doesn't matter what happens to them, they're happy with almost anything. Other people have everything and are never happy. And your life could do a complete 180 tomorrow or in 10 years. Or you could change comparatively little. Being human's a trip.

The digitizer will use some additional power.

I'm using Ubuntu MATE

lsb_release -a says I'm using Trisquel 6.0.1

Why?

I got my mom a moto g and a memory card. When I setup the memory card I get this messages saying something along the lines of it not being fast enough. It also seems to be undocking itself and needs to be pulled out and put back in...could that be a sd card harness or is it related to the "you have a shitty sd card" message?

Yes, it's possible, but unlikely. You have to remember you're putting your computer on a network full of random people, there's a chance they can fug with you.

try an old zip-up/accordian binder. Otherwise, i'd go with a briefcase/backpack. Invest in a laptop bag, man.

try swapping, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Is Devuan the same as Debian aside from lack of systemd? I'd only go with it if it functions the same way otherwise.

I have a video, how do i strip say 40% of the video from the left side of the video?
So from the V to the right of the video?
I looked in to ffmpegs man but i guess i missed what i was looking for
--------------V-------
|
|
|
---------------V-----

Go with an s6. s7 isn't any better for the price hop and s6's are pretty cheap now. make sure to swap the sim cards, don't go for a new plan.

yep.

I can't stop crying, what do I do?

I have two drives, one is my old Windows 7 install, one is my new one. Each was installed with the other unplugged, so as not to fuck everything up(because Windows). Will leaving both plugged in while installing Debian on a third drive mess up the bootloader's on the Windows drives? As a fallback, I'd like to be able to just select them as the first boot drive and have it work if I ever manage to fuck up the Debian drive, but for day-to-day usage I'd like to use GRUB to select which to boot into.

See a psychiatrist.

apply thermal paste to eyes.

Crop filter

>some
?

Internally within the CPU, sort of, it'll guess which way a branch instruction will go before it completes, then if it's wrong, the partly completed instuctions on the path it guessed will be cancelled.
At the software level, no.

>using legacy BIOS
Use EFI then your life will be full of happiness, all the bootloaders are just regular files sitting on a FAT32 partition.

Whisky

>I can't stop crying, what do I do?
Install linux and set everything up from beginning.

How do I increase my system reserve partition size reeeee

Why do people defend Windows 10?

Is there any addon (firefox), that allows opening highlighted hashes as magnet links?

also what the FUCK are these

how does one get into the info security industry? do you work your way into sys admin and learn some stuff about "security" then take a cisa exam? I just want more money and don't want lvl1 shit ever again.

Hi guize

I run an encrypted storage for my laptop and I've just now managed to shrink it a bit.

I want to make another partition so I can dualboot XP on it.
Problem being; how can I dualboot XP and Fedora with encryption on?

I already have Fedora set up so I'd like to avoid having to reinstall.

Thanks

trying to install the nvidia 900 series drivers on a new windows 7 computer
when it gets to installing the geforce experience it fails because microsoft .net framework fails to initialize
at the start of the program it says that it tries to download and install the framework. I've tried installing it separately and the installation always fails
what should I do to get the drivers up and working?

Dead pixels are usually white, right? I just noticed a brown spot on my monitor, I think it's probably a stuck pixel. Currently using some pixel-fixer software, hopefully it works.

hey Cred Forums

got a root server with a music collection and 24/7 gbit connection. want to set up a streaming server on it with multibitrate streaming (on-the-fly transcoding) what's the best software to use?
currently using plex but the android app limitations are shit on free, is there an opensource alternative?

I am a dumb fuck. It was just a speck on my screen. All I had to do was scrub it with a microfiber cloth and it came right off.
Separate issue, but there are a few tiny pixels on my monitor that are permanently white. Is there any way to fix those? According to the manual, a few dead pixels within several million are "normal."

Do you get an error message when installing .net?

dead/stuck pixels either look like a black spot or a bright red, green, or blue. Brown isn't a stuck pixel, it'll be something physical.

find . -type f -exec mv {} . \;

Post full screenshot.

No EFI on this build. Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

-vf crop=:::

pic related, where white box is original video, black box is resulting area

How do I set old games that only use 1 CPU core to use an specific core ?
How can improve performance in such old games that only use one core? (like Rome Total War and Codename Panzers)

My parents need a desktop for just web browsing, email and word documents. Would it be cheaper to just get them a Dell from best buy instead of building?

affinity
use a faster cpu

i have a top of the line FX-8350 with turbo boost disabled
should i try cpucores ?
setting affinity on the task manager everytime is a pain in the ass

I re-ran the installer a few minutes ago to catch an error code. For some reason it worked this time.
I wish I did that 5 days ago

I've got this email server for a VIP client, how do I delete all mentions of her email address?

this is what shows in my terminal
lo no wireless extentions.

enp0s25 no wireless extensions.

This is from a mid 90s computer mobo. What is it for?

Is $200 for a 2010 macbook decent? Model is A1278. Intel 3000 gpu and dualcore i5 2.4ghz, feel like I can do better. Trying to replace an hp elitebook 8440p which has a dying mobo.

here queer

it's a DIP switch

most likely controls cpu and fsb clock speed (back when this wasn't controlled in software)

dip switch for something or other

Get a nuc

depends
the best value solution would be buying a 2nd hand computer (as long as the owner lets you try it and its not EXTREMELLY obsolete
even if the comptuer itself is shit, if its just 10€ boom, you already have a case for a computer, and you could buy retail and get a computer for 140€, or less if you use more 2nd hand components
pcpartpicker.com/list/FZVXRG

hell if you want to be more of a cheapstake you can even buy a 5€ CRT or pick one up for free

you should get more SL in RB and SB
im broke as fuck just from playing SB

What is a good 2d graphics library for C?

I have ~600GB of ebooks. Am I doomed to never find an eReader capable of storing this much data?

Is it worth bringing up my desktop from home when I already have my laptop? I don't like the idea of having a fuckton of cables having a gangbang with my laptop on top of my desk, nor do I like the idea of having to buy all those cables and hubs.

yes

New thread.

Is there a way to compile in VS without all the extra shit thrown in with a project? I'd like to be able to work on something in both windows and linux (my laptop and desktop run different OS's) without a lot of work or mess. I already know I'm probably a retard for wanting this and not just using gcc on both, but it would be nice to see if this is an option. Also on that note what are the comfiest compiled languages to use across different OS's?

The thing is, I already have one I built for them ~6 years ago but the parts are all pretty obsolete. I could recycle the case, power supply and optical drive but I'd have to buy an OEM copy of Windows and Microsoft office for them which sets me back $200 already.

why buy ms office when you can use openoffice/libreoffice or pirate
why buy windows if you can use an open source operating system or pirate
in fact that 6 year old computer would probably run faster if u did a fresh windows install or installed linux

Which of the two is better?

never get stock coolers

What does each value do?
I cant seem to get anywhere with this
How do i find these measurements?
Pixels? Percentage?