/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
archwomen.org/
packages.debian.org/jessie/gnome-core
wiki.debian.org/Gnome
youtube.com/watch?v=kGex0kLgNok
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=136184
lists.debian.org/debian-www/2013/11/msg00081.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration
youtube.com/watch?v=NysoCN9RR_c
forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=301889
packages.debian.org/stable/metapackages/gnome-core
askubuntu.com/questions/166803/how-remove-all-programs-from-a-meta-package
packages.debian.org/wheezy/gnome
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
biebian.sourceforge.net/
hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/
install-logos.github.io/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Fedora

I hope to god that LXQt has actual thumbnails in file picker and Wayland support

That is a first.

Why can't I install "webkitgtk2" and "cmake"? They are both in the Extra repository but I keep getting 404:s.
Tried changing some mirrors but still can't get them.

the picker in kde isn't because of qt, it's specific to kde

lxqt uses the qt file picker, which even even shittier than the (unpatched) gtk one

Fuck off Linus

I know, the Qt picker has no thumbnails

I'm from yesterday.
Decided to clean install Mint 18 and lo and behold, GRUB was for some reason written to another disk that I never chose for anything during installation. It still booted fine but I'm so fucking mad. Now I'm considering going to mint forum and asking for solution or just installing something more serious.

what is the most arch-y debian-based distribution?

Can you suggest me some app like "Acunetix" for Arch?
I want to scan my website but w3af wont install on arch

Arch itself

I would be more inclined to think you chose the wrong one but hey. The support forum is there for a reason, if it is a bug then you should report it so it is fixed.
>I might just upgrade to Mint 18 and try to rice it
Do you have any idea who riced mint is already?

Did you -Syyu after updating the mirrors?

Define "arch-y". Bloated and broken?

>Bloated
Doesn't even come with any Display manager and server. If that's too bloated for you you should call autism help line

>Broken
How is Arch more broken than other distros?

the base doesn't tell anything
most distros offer netinstalls that come as bare as arch
arch is bloated because the packages are bloated

Didn't go with advanced partitioning route, just chose option "erase everything" or something like that, then chose the drive. If I would chose the wrong drive it would just delete the other drive and I would still have 17.3 and 18.

What he said.

Bleeding edge & rolling release.

Debian Sid.

>Packages are bloated
Nope, Arch doesn't install scrot while installing screenfetch

Are you going to leech on his posts since you don't have anything unique to yourself?

>Debian Shid
How about stop suggesting SJW distros?

Debian Sid?

You have no idea user. For example, on Debian you have 4 packages: package (the binary), package-dev, package-docs, package-etc. On Arch you have one package that includes everything. That's basically why on Arch you get such a low package count, but a lot more mb than on other distros.

arckids will defend this
>noobuntu is so bloated

Maybe not, will try.

Not only package counts, Arch actually has minimum dependancy line. Minimal KDE doesn't even come with any file manager.

>I have nothing to say, I'll just keep leeching to others' posts
Spineless retard

That fixed it, thanks.

What is the best lightweight distro for daily use?

The one I'm using.

why doesnt urxvt adopt my .xresources settings - in ubuntu?

i guess it's because of some xrdb issue, does anybody know more? what do ineed to install?

i used arch before but i'm too lazy to install it agian

arch linux

Did you try:
xrdb ~/.Xresources
?
Any errors?
He said lightweight.

The one you don't use at the weekend.

>le lightweight meme
Fucking buzzwords. Who even wants a bloated distro?

no errors

! Black + DarkGrey
2 *color0: #000000
3 *color8: #555753
4 ! DarkRed + Red
5 *color1: #ff6565
6 *color9: #ff8d8d
7 ! DarkGreen + Green
8 *color2: #93d44f
9 *color10: #c8e7a8
10 ! DarkYellow + Yellow
11 *color3: #eab93d
12 *color11: #ffc123
13 ! DarkBlue + Blue
14 *color4: #204a87
15 *color12: #3465a4
16 ! DarkMagenta + Magenta
17 *color5: #ce5c00
18 *color13: #f57900
19 !DarkCyan + Cyan (both not tango)
20 *color6: #89b6e2
21 *color14: #46a4ff
22 ! LightGrey + White

is something wrong?

If the line numbers are not part of the config, it looks okay to me.

no they are not, then why does my urxvt look standard? did i forget some modifiers?

Debian minimal

I am having serious troubles with the following. If anyone can help me solve it, i will suck him off, no questions asked.

I have a device mounted in /media/shit, this device has 770 permissions and because reasons i cannot change these permissions with chmod or acls. It simply is not possible. But here is the problém, i need to make that direktory 777 (or any other permission i need that isn't 770).
So what the fuck do i now?
I tried to solve this by creating a symlink and then doing chmod 660 linkshit, to test it, but it did nothing the symlink always has 777 and it cannot be changed.. so what the fuck do i do?
The only think i can think if is mounting the direktory shit into another direktory and then i would set the permissions of that parent direktory but that is verbose and retarded and doesn't help me if i set the parent to 777 since the child is 770 tops
I BEG YOU HELP ME

Get off my board fucking retard

How did you install Arch without reading that IMPORTANT AND BOLDLY WRITTEN text?

It is lightweight

MOM CANCEL MY MEETINGS, APT FUCKED UP MY WIRELESS DRIVER AGAIN

>proved in the last thread how debian/ubuntu kernel updates work
>still posting that faulty image

What do you get out of it? Do you think that if you post it long enough, eventually some other idiot will believe you and your idiocy will be hidden? Then you'll be able to finally convince yourself that you're not an idiot and move on with your life?

Honestly, I don't even understand how you live your daily life.
Since you're predictable, you'll accuse me of being an "udumboo baby", but I'll disprove that right away by signing this:

t. not ubuntu user

get redpilled user lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

>faulty image
WEW LAD FUCKTARD DEP HANDLING REMVOED MY WIRELESS DRIVER FAGGOT

>how to keybind my file manager and use drag and drop

>Muh systemd is bad XDDD
Discarded

I guess it's the same guy who made that video about how apt can't remove gnome. Same faulty thing: Removed gnome-core instead of the DE package, and claimed it's apts fault that the DE was still there, lol. Mastertroll.

Read the full thing, not the headline, retard.

>Mastertroll
or just plain stupid

no, it didn't

>it's another red team vs blue team episode

Why not just mount it with those options?

we need to end the arch meme
people fall for it every day
>the arch way
>lightweight
>simple
memes
arch is the opposite

t. ubuntu user

Apt can't uninstall meta package?

It can.

gnome-core isn't the DE meta-package, that was the whole problem or trolling, who knows. The full DE meta-package is gnome, gnome-core is a child-meta-package, inside the gnome meta-package, which holds - well - the gnome core. Programs like nautilus etc are not included into the core, but into the package "gnome", so by removing gnome-core, he removed only the gnome-core packages, not the additional programs, shipped witht he DE.

So gnome includes gnome-core? Won't removing gnome-core remove the packages it installs?

if someone needs to make a video just for the sole purpose of *proofing* how apt is shit its obviously ebin meming
shows the differences of the communities

Gnome-core was installed in the video, not gnome?

>tfw missing uninstall.exe

Yes, and which kernel version are you using now after rebooting?
Moron.

Was a while since I installed it, and haven't installed that much stuff since the last update. All things except those two I have been able to install.

removing programs on windows was the horror.
>bloated registry
>uninstaller doesn't remove everything
>dead system links
>with luck, installs some toolbars
and then you need some third party program to remove shit the uninstaller didn't remove and witht said program you get even more toolbars and spyware

windows: uninstall program -> end up with even more installed programs

bcmwl is not a kernel

>jokes on you, I was just pretending

What level of autism do you suffer from? Is it severe?

>toolbars
When was this a thing, 1997?

in on kali light on my trusty t60, i hve GCC installed but cannot run it from bash, only at the local folder.
how do i edit the $PATH on kali? i dont have a bash_profile file..
yes im new here

No shit retard

It's a module of a kernel you penis

>installs kali
>can't Google how to set path

- never say that you run kali or enjoy your memes
- create a bash profile file or save it to your bashrc
- export PATH=$PATH:~/mystuff
- done

yes faggot, you finally figured it out. guess what orphans the module?
BCMWL-KERNEL-SOURCE

This is a friendly thread.

what the module orphans*

Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.

What is the best Arch installer? I've used arch-anywhere, but have also heard of others like architect and archbang.

When you don't need a kernel any more it removes modules and other stuff the old kernel used. Are you really this sense? This was an old kernel and you have installed a newer one which will have your updated module.

Why do you want to install Arch? It's a meme, don't fall for it.

if you can't install arch like a real man, go back to ubuntu

>Debian Sid
>still no update to libtorrent-rasterbar9 so qBittorrent stops crashing
>current network-manager has a critical bug that fucks up networking all over the place
It has been weeks now, what the fuck are they doing?

>like a real man
Since when are 12 year old kids real men?

it's auto mounted

The module got bcmwl-kernel-source orphaned and autoremove got rid of it

xrdb -merge .Xresources

Did you misunderstand what did is?

>using -y
You're asking for it.

What is the actual value in using zsh and oh my zsh? Is it just for rice or are there actual features that are nice. The only thing I remember it having was better completion

Memes are fun though

Architect

Arch is a fine distro with AUR. Fuck off SJW

>real man

The AUR is nothing but a wrapper for git. Nothing special here. The only good thing about Arch is the wiki, and that's all. The distro sucks ass.

>sjw
reminder
archwomen.org/

>He still has fun in his life

Looks like you haven't been using gnu+Linux very long my friend

I give up, you're a complete moron. Come back when you have the first clue what you're talking about.

GIt wrapper is pretty comfy.
$packer -S hpn-ssh-git

While other distro makes you hunt down dependencies and wastes your time to install the same thing.

If it was that easy to find all those packages go compile MPC-Qt and post a screenshot

>I just got owned

>by Anonymous Coward
wow

what keyboard shortcuts do you use to jump to different workspaces?

>if I act stupid enough I might win the argument

Not only that :^)

So I just installed mint 18 with cinnamon desktop on my laptop.
Its the first time im using linux on a my own pc.
Any tips to make my transition easier?

Inb4 install gentoo

>I got owned and I'll call others stupid
0/10

Nothing, just learn things as you go

>Inb4 install gentoo
Since you already know, get on with it

>if I shout louder I might win
Pity you fail at reason and reading comprehension

Russel Coker is not a Debian Dev, you need new stuff.

>owned
The other user was quite rightly explaining but you are too pig headed to listen. The package was no longer needed, get over it.

>bcmwl-kernel-source was no longer needed
>wifi driver was no longer needed
wow

what's a good distro for a production server?

On the community front, he has ported and packaged SELinux for Debian GNU/Linux and now handed off maintenance of the package for Debian stable to fellow Australian, Brian May.

> I do C and C++ programming, package a lot of software for Debian, and do most Unix and network administration tasks.

>I decided that to improve the state of security in Linux this needed to be integrated into the Debian distribution.

Source: The Age

>kernel gets updated
>old kernel and module get removed
Yeah I can see why he have up. I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with this.

See

>production server
What's that actually supposed to tell me?

Yes hun, that is part of the previous kernel package.

the driver itself has not had any updates recently

LAMP

He's a Debian package maintainer (which pretty much anyone can be) which is not the same as a Debian developer.

Also that image has been posted for weeks (months?) by the same sad guy in every /fglt/ thread I've ever seen, really pathetic.

>A package maintainer is not a developer
Here let me give you the straw you are grasping for

I don't think that you are going to get this no matter how many times it is explained to you. You were proven wrong about gnome and you have been proven wrong now.

They are completely different things. Also he's not even a Debian maintainer at this time. Who's the one grasping at straws?

>Proven wrong
Lol no, both the module and the driver got removed. Is it so hard to understand, dumb shit?

Also,
>Can't remove a meta package
lel

>gnome-core isn't the DE meta-package
Yes, it is one of the multiple metapackages for GNOME. See this page:
packages.debian.org/jessie/gnome-core
>This metapackage ... It contains the official “core” modules of the GNOME desktop.

And the "Options" section of this page, which describes each metapackage that can install GNOME:
wiki.debian.org/Gnome

Just because it's included in the bigger metapackages doesn't mean it isn't its own.

Also apt is fucking stupid for not having a method to easily uninstall a metapackage without fucking your system.

>Who's the one grasping at straws?
Here: he's not even a Debian maintainer at this time.

Or you know, you can just not argue and let everyone use what they want.
I know I know, I'm naive.

Feels like a manjaro forum in here with such retards.

>lol Im soo 1337 for manjaro

so some time last year, i decided to try linux again for a bit, i had ubuntu in dual boot before, but one update fucked me royally. i just couldnt uninstall and reinstall ubuntu again after that. so this time i tried to have a virtual machine. which worked for the most part, aside from a very slow and grueling internet speed. all else was good, until about 4 days latter when i returned home from school one day and i couldnt boot to my pc(to windows). the error code i saw would send me to a rare error in which apparently, the windows partition can be corrupeted if you dual boot linux and windows from the "same" hdd. since then i have had cold feet to try this stunt again, and i feel like if i ever try linux again, i would like to at least have a second hdd. toughts? should i still try linux again? is having windows a sin?

Have you been to their forum? It's like the blind leading the blind.

>Decided to clean install Mint 18 and lo and behold, GRUB was for some reason written to another disk that I never chose for anything during installation.

Always install operating systems with all other drives disconnected if you want them untouched. and better yet install them in VMs so you don't have to reboot.

Any PC that isn't junk can run other OS in VMs. Piss on dual and multibooting unless you still run 1999-era CPUs.

What's a g approved distro that has all the g-tier software like mvp and shit installed by default?

What's the best way to get rid of screen tearing nowadays? Still Compton?

*GLAMP

What the fuck is g-tier software?

Software that has meme status on Cred Forums, of course.

He's not and never was a Debian developer so that image is factually wrong. Even if a developer were the same (which they are not), he is not currently a maintainer. Basically you're trying to make his opinion seem like the opinion of someone of importance inside the Debian project, which he never was. I would call grasping at straws.

You. Are. Stupid. Sorry but it's the truth. apt does exactly what you tell it to do. Also why are you posting links proofing you wrong? lol

>shit installed by default
having anything installed by default would disqualify it already.

Well this is a place for beginners to come and ask questions and/or share experiences, so a lot of people are uninformed.

Manjaro is to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian. They made it simple to install, easy to use, and pretty to look at.

A downside is that it attracts less technically-inclined users. But the upside is that the GNU/Linux community as a whole gets more use and exposure in general. And those people might not have ever used or seen GNU/Linux, if not or Manjaro.

Windows 10

nigger gnome-core is a meta-package included in the meta-package gnome, is that really so complicated?

Since your PC is too old and slow to run VMs at decent speed (SSDs make life much nicer) I suggest a second HD.

I used swap racks in my desktop long ago to run a variety of OS on my then-new Celeron 366.

Unplug all other drives when installing. Ignore anyone who suggests otherwise. Just fucking do it and you'll thank me later.

Choose boot drive in BIOS instead of using a bootloader.

If you are so poor you only have one PC you should get gud at scrounging and fixing free discarded PCs. It's easy and you'll soon have many.

>And those people might not have ever used or seen GNU/Linux, if not or Manjaro.
That's not an upside. It's not an upside if they have problems and no one is able to help them because everyone else is clueless as well.

>meta-packages in meta-packages
that's too meta for me

>Debian maintainer goes full sjw
>Deny and go "he's not a maintainer now"
So this is what grasping the straw looks like

He did not say otherwise retard

PLEASE IGNORE THE GNOME/KERNEL TROLL, HE HONESTLY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT

Where?

How many times will you get owned ITT? :^)

Right there

See

Is it possible to mount one device to multiple locations? Like an usb stick for example and i would like to mount it into two user's home directories, but one of them will be mounted as read only and the other one as read write
is this possible?

rather than an old pc, i actually do have a decent computer. but certainlly the hdd that i have is a piece of shit. i didnt want to have a second computer mainly because i really dont think i need a new one for running linux, but hey, that just might be me being stubborn

>owned
You know, when it comes to technical facts there alway only one winner: facts.
You've been proofen wrong many times, everything that comes back are funny memes without any substance whole playing the guy who doesn't understand how the shit works.

Why don't you just try it?

All I see is a post from "Anonymous coward".

Sorry you proved nothing at all. See

Wrong. He isn't a Debian maintainer.

"I'm gay." -- Arch Linux Developer

See

>apt does exactly what you tell it to do
I never said it didn't. I said it doesn't have a way to easily uninstall metapackages.
>Also why are you posting links proofing you wrong?
What do they prove wrong?

If you're saying that apt CAN uninstall metapackages, then you're probably uninformed. When you do
>apt remove/purge/autoremove gnome-core
NONE of the packages that depend on gnome-core get uninstalled. Solely the tiny

youtube.com/watch?v=kGex0kLgNok

>NONE of the packages that depend on gnome-core get uninstalled
Sorry, I meant:
>NONE of the packages that gnome-core depends on get uninstalled

>gnome-core isn't the DE meta-package, that was the whole problem or trolling, who knows. The full DE meta-package is gnome, gnome-core is a child-meta-package, inside the gnome meta-package, which holds - well - the gnome core. Programs like nautilus etc are not included into the core, but into the package "gnome", so by removing gnome-core, he removed only the gnome-core packages, not the additional programs, shipped witht he DE.

kek
>thick people are very good at winning arguments because they're too thick to realise they've lost

That's why you remove gnome not gnome-core. Problem solved. Jesus.

Contributing.

>Pretending apt fucking up is a new thing

Guys please support Arch Women. A group with the intention of resolving possible hurdles for female Arch users.

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=136184

Thanks for helping.

>Clearly state that driver got removed
>"""lolol u lost XDDD"""
Debcucks are full cancer

see

Are you retarded? I already responded to that.

>gnome-core isn't the DE meta-package
Yes it is. It is one of the multiple available. I'm aware that it's also a "sub-metapackage" within the others.

>so by removing gnome-core, he removed only the gnome-core packages
False. All metapackages, including just "gnome" will leave everything installed when you run the command
>apt remove/autoremove/purge gnome
because of what was previously explained about metapackages marking their dependencies as manually installed. Fucking try to uninstall any metapackage, you autists.

You must be blind:
>This happens because metapackage dependencies are marked as MANUALLY installed instead of AUTOMATICALLY. You have to manually uninstall every individual package which was part of the original metapackage.

I hate everything.

Heh that really is him, it's uncanny.

Guys please add anti harassment on the mail list thank you. It's a big bug
lists.debian.org/debian-www/2013/11/msg00081.html

>There are only two kinds of distributions: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses.

What did he mean by this?

So no matter how many times I say the driver got remvoed, you'll defense is "lol u lost XD"?

Too weak

You must be stupid. If you remove gnome-core, yes, everything is marked as manually installed.

But you don't remove gnome-core. There's no reason to remove gnome core. If the user wants to uninstall gnome, he uninstalls gnome.

Imagine how retarded it would be when someone removes gnome-core and then his file manager and torrent client is gnone? See why it works like this?

Why did you remove the driver? :^)

You're too stupid and stubborn to understand what happened despite being told many times already.
Sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting la la la la la la doesn't make you right.

Because autoremoving shit should not get rid of fucking drivers

What the fuck have you been telling me apart from "lol u lost XD" you mouth breathing braindead fucktard?

Go back user, you have been told my multiple people.

>Because autoremoving shit should not get rid of fucking drivers

I'm sorry this happened to you, do you need help?

>"Friendly" GNU/Linux Thread

>you're stupid
>you're stupid and also stubborn
>no you're stupid :^)

Gonna work on one of my modules in Linux this year, any tips?

Yeah, kill yourself and take you shit package manager with you

Why are you so angry? Please calm down this a FRIENDLY thread.

Not him, what do you mean?

If I install a package suite, removing the package suite must mean I want the subset packages gone.

If you tell me to get rid of the flower vase, I will get rid of the flower vase and the contents within. What kind of autistic faggot would keep those flowers and throw away the vase only

>comes to Cred Forums for a hug

>Not him
This has never been used truthfully.

>If the user wants to uninstall gnome, he uninstalls gnome.
Holy shit.

That doesn't work because "gnome" IS ALSO A METAPACKAGE. It has all the same problems as gnome-core! Also some people install only gnome-core because they don't want all the extra stuff, so attempting to uninstall "gnome" would result in an error for them.

>Imagine how retarded it would be when someone removes gnome-core and then his file manager and torrent client is gnone?
If I uninstall my desktop environment, I expect all of its components to be uninstalled as well, including whatever file manager or torrent client that came with it.

I think it's retarded that uninstalling EITHER "gnome" OR "gnome-core" OR "gnome-desktop-environment" keeps EVERY SINGLE PACKAGE installed, besides the metapackage itself.

If you want to uninstall literally ANY and ALL metapackages, you have to uninstall each dependency individually, since they're all marked as manually-installed.

You're right, but gnome-core isn't the package suit of the DE called "GNOME". That's the joke.

Any thing else on topic?

Can we ban the phrase "lightweight distro" from the thread? When people come into the thread to ask about "lightweight distros" they're talking about the DE in 99% of the cases

he will never get it, just give up
he's obviously trolling hard or simply retarded

Apart from your master trolling you mean?

Go for it user

Gnome-core is a package suit that installs a list of gnome-softwares.

If a user installs gnome-core, he wanted those list of softwares

If a user removes gnome-core he wants to remove those list of softwares

Am I clear enough?

hey Cred Forums, how do I connect to the internet? I'm using arch if it matters

Install your drivers.

There's a nice wiki page for it
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration

That's right. It works like you said. Where's the problem?

How did you install Arch without internet? Isn't that a required part of installation?

So the user installed gnome-core, as he wanted a few gnome softwares besides his xfce desktop.

Then the user removed the package suit since he does not want it any more.

Too bad those softwares didn't get removed

>hey Cred Forums, how do I connect to the internet? I'm using arch if it matters

># apt install gnome-core
>it downloads hundreds of MB of packages
># apt remove gnome-core
>removes everything is still installed from gnome-core

Yeah, it works perfectly.

Arch has wifi-menu

>Too bad those softwares didn't get removed
but they get removed user
you're stupity is funny

-> 0/10 troll

You didn't watch the video, did you?

*sigh*
I love when debibabbies calls others stupid so easily

I love it when retards don't get it

t. average arch user

>completly new
>installs arch

He just want's to be witht he cool kids.

>Literally has NO background knowledge of the topic
>Keeps on calling people stupid

Vapid debibabbies are cancer. Just off yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=NysoCN9RR_c

what's so cool about arch?
>mom look, I copy pasted some commands from the wiki in order to install the famous distro that doesn't have an installer, I'm a hacker now

>normie comes to thread
>lol whats da best wireless headphone
>normie sees the amount of autism ITT
>normie gets the fuck out quitely

lmao

BSD like ports and the ABS.

Also
>Not being able to copy/paste a few commands from the wiki
Premium autism

I'm new to Linux, I've tried Ubuntu mate, artegos, and manjaro. All of them had a problem. Ubuntu mate was ugly and not very flexible, artegos had too much bloat and the ui was bad, and manjaro had some bugs like screen tearing and didn't remember my theme settings. Out of all of them I like manjaro the most.

My question is is there a polished distro that isn't buggy and ugly and is similar to manjaro?

When I did it the first time, I actually was proud of myself.

>Screen tearing
Install Manjaro GNOME and use the wayland session. You are set

How about you fix the screen tearing in manjaro? Distro hopping for the sole purpose of having something where everything works is stupid...

>wayland
>solution for screen tearing
t. newfag

>
You thought getting my (you) was that easy?

That's the whole point of Arch user.

Question about Fedora:

When they say that a release is supported/maintained for 13 months, does that mean that packages are getting updated and kept close to upstream? Or is it like Debian Stable where things are frozen and they just get security patches?

I just installed Fedora 24 and noticed that
- Firefox was version 47, and it has an update to 49 available
- but GNOME is only at 3.20 instead of 3.22
so I'm guessing they keep some things more updated than others? Probably in order to keep things stable? Sorry about all the question marks, I'm just very unsure.

I've been here since the start tard, watching you embarrass yourself over and over.

>making fun of the dead

Also, people talk about how slow apt is, but holy shit I swear dnf is waaaay slower.

Holy shit literally chronic denial RIGHT THERE

>It gets removed

>Video showing it did NOT get removed

lol u embarrass yourself

Why are you so much defensive of your garbage package repo/manager?

That's why you should use Arch. Everybody not using Arch doesn't value their time.

People who talk about package manager speed don't know how package managers work. The speed depends on the mirrors you're using and your internet connection.

forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=301889

Not entirely

>gets corrected
>thinks it is defence
You're too funny.

>My correction is "lol u stupid"
Shut the fuck up retard. Uninstalling Gnome-core did not remove gnome applications and the video clearly shows it

I see you're just too stupid, so let me try a different way:

Things inside the package gnome:
- gnome-core
- program1
- program2
- program3
- etc

What do you think will be removed when you remove gnome-core? Program1? No. Program2? Again: No! Let me help you: gnome-core

What an idiot.

gnome-core itself is a metapackage that includes some gnome applications.

>uninstall gnome-core
>hundrets of packages still there
apt sucks

Fucking retard
packages.debian.org/stable/metapackages/gnome-core

That's right. Doesn't change the fact that removing gnome-core will only remove gnome-core (and the stuff it includes) NOT the stuff that the package gnome includes such as torrent client, nautilus, etc.

friends what do you recommend for when dual booting, choose what to boot into

i have grub on my laptop but i just got a new one and was wondering if it's the best option

can it be configured so that it always boots into os A unless you press something?

>gnome-core (and the stuff it includes)
>Nautilus isn't included in gnome-core

see

Retard.
apt-cache showpkg gnome
apt-cache showpkg gnome-core

>Not entirely
How do a package manager affect speed significantly?

askubuntu.com/questions/166803/how-remove-all-programs-from-a-meta-package

Epic. But I am interested in gnome-core

gnome-core:
The GNOME Desktop Environment -- essential components
These are the core components of the GNOME Desktop environment, an
intuitive and attractive desktop.
This meta-package depends on a basic set of programs, including a file
manager, an image viewer, a web browser, a video player and other
tools.
It contains the official “core” modules of the GNOME desktop.

gnome:
The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components
This is the GNOME Desktop environment, an intuitive and attractive
desktop, with extra components.
This meta-package depends on the standard distribution of the GNOME
desktop environment, plus a complete range of plugins and other
applications integrating with GNOME and Debian, providing the best
possible environment to date.

why the fuck do you keep bringing the gnome package whereas clearly everyone is talking about gnome-core?

Let's change the topic guys. I can't see this gnome shit anymore.

the other faggot wanted to remove the whole DE, but removed only gnome-core
now he claims that apt can't remove gnome, lol

That's because he installed gnome-core, not gnome, idiot. Now he wants gnome-core and the packages gnome-core installed GONE

why the hell would he install a sub-meta package of a meta-package? that's not how to maintain a system.

That's the joke.

>Moving goalpost
Face it, apt can't remove gnome-core packages

Fuck off

>sub-meta package of a meta-package
packages.debian.org/wheezy/gnome
>Cntrl-F
>Gnome-core
>

Fellow nigger, even OP said apt can remove gnome-core, his problem was not that apt didn't remove gnome-core, but that apt didn't remove packages that aren't in the gnome-core package. Learn to read retard.

Do you no what OP means actually?

Also, Nautilus is in the gnome-core package

What's the best approach to install Cinnamon on Ubuntu 16.04?

Have something like Ubuntu Gnome as the base (since gnome and cinnamon share some packages) and then install Cinnamon on top through the PPA, or go with the minimal install .iso?

Problem is I'm kind of a noob and have no idea what to do after I'm done with the minimal .iso installation.

Also has anyone tried this? Is cinnamon stable on 16.04 ?

So when im building source locally,and have nothing to download, the mirrors effect my speed?
Nah.

#apt install cinnamon-core

And no, cinnamon isn't stable in 16.04

apt can't remove gnome-core, face it

>cinnamon-core
Jesus motherfucking christ on the fucking cross.
MODS

?

people shouldn't install -core packages for obvious reasons, see: this thread

How is Linux Mint KDE? It looks nice, isn't as lightweight as other distros, but not too bad. Considering switching from Manjaro to it.

Looks like you haven't installed cinnamon core from the base install before.

It installs a nice preconfigured desktop for you, the thing is you can't remove the desktop without hunting down everything

Don't do it. Mint is the worst distro around. Completly broken and insecure. It may look nice, but under the surface is just horror: lwn.net/Articles/676664/

This!

Someone used FreeNAS sometime? I think is the OS that most will fit me but I don't have any knolwedge on it (beside the basics, I guess)

What's the dankest meme distro? (templeos excluded)

The issue is unrelated to whether or not "-core" is used. It's 100% about apt metapackages. gnome-core just happened to be the metapackage highlighted in the original video that started this whole thing like a month ago.

This! is pretty much spam and adds nothing to the thread. You don't need to parrot your mindless support of someone elses opinion.

Temple OS isn't even GNU/Linux.

biebian.sourceforge.net/

alpine

hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/

install-logos.github.io/

We had about ~300 logos before the distro actually started.

>I'll make the logo

the reason this happens is because apt won't autoremove a package that is recommended by another package, even if that other package was installed --no-recommends. apt does not check how packages were installed when doing autoremove, it just checks if there are any remaining dependencies, including recommended dependencies

GNOME devs recommend every stupid fucking part of GNOME in every package. so if you install, say, libreoffice --no-recommends, you now have a permanent hook by which, say, the accessibility daemon can be recommended and won't be autoremoved

there are many traps like this in debian, the second you start trying to use "not recommended" software you become a second-class citizen and you have to --dry-run every apt command and backtrace what it installs

>last updated 2 years ago

Made the screenfetch ASCII art.
>ftw neofetch doesn't support lo/g/os

It pretty much died when people started working on riceDB (sort of a package-manager for configs). lo/g/os should have been the showcase for it, so riceDB got priority but people lost interest on riceDB and so lo/g/os died with it.

Void Linux -- yes or no?

Is it FOSS?

Def yes, comfy distro for me.

Also bump

I'd try it.

Same with Debian: Comes free as in freedom, but nonfree stuff repo, so the FSF woun't list it I guess.

*FLOSS

Then I think it's okay.

>Void
Of packages*

hahahaha great meme, can I save it?

What DE do you lads use? Just finished installing Arch, I've mainly been using XFCE before but I recently gave Plasma a try and it's pretty damn comfy

I use gnome-core

It's GPL'd

Enjoy your distrolet with les than 8k packages

xfce

How hard is it to get into driver development for fun?
Say, if I wanted to do it with an usb device I'd use something like wireshark to reverse the protocol on a Windows VM or whatever.
I know it depends on the complexity of the device but considering a simple one, what kind of skills do I need?
I know C and can deal with low memory stuff okayish.

Where did this "Arch is difficult to install" meme come from? I'm a complete retard when it comes to Linux and I just dual booted Arch on my Macbook with the help of Arch Anywhere and basic reading skills for the Arch wiki.

Arch Anywhere is pretty much the easiest and fastest installer there is, the only thing I had to do afterwards was to install wireless and touchpad drivers from the AUR because I'm using a Macbook.

>tfw i really want Linux, but installing it would render all of my hentai game collection unplayable.

I always end up back on xfce. tried to force myself to use gnome but just can't

What is this alter universe you live in where dual booting and virtual machines don't exist?

wine
or
VM w/KVM

>Arch Anywhere
wow it's so easy, I only had to use an automated install script

I doubt hentai games are so graphically intense that he would need GPU passthrough. They'd probably just work in a normal VM.

Is QEMU/KVM worth setting up to avoid having Windows as a host system?

Those games run pretty well on Linux.

I never said GPU passthrough. KVM and GPU passthough are two different things.

even the ones that require me to run in Japanese Applocale as an administrator to work?

I'll indirectly answer your question with a linux command

>qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm

Now, it's gonna look a little more complicated than that in order to install an OS like windows.

keep in mind if you wish to play more demanding games rather than hentai, GPU passthrough with KVM is your only option in a VM.

people in this thread are confusing KVM with GPU passthrough. You can use them both at once but they are two seperate things.

What will be your choice for a homeserver? Or maybe a little NAS.

You don't need the usual Windows-shenanigans to run games on Linux.
Instead, you need the Linux-specific ones.

The main difference is that the Linux-ones are less documented.

I have a few pis for a home server. I'm too lazy for clustering so I have them work individual tasks.

Is there a reason that every time I open sketchup with wine it also opens sketchups homepage in my browser

Ok, is it worth setting up QEMU/KVM with VT-d/IOMMU passthrough?

And I'm retarded as fuck.

I forget to say I was asking about OS.

If you're still the hentai guy and are not running anything more demanding than that, then fuck no.

Nope, another person. Some games are Windows 10 only, but Windows 10 forcibly restarts itself when it wants to update and I dislike that with a passion.

>Windows 10 only
What?

Currently have raspbian but I plan to switch them over to debian because they are servers.

I would like to go Debian or CentOS, but I don't like that their stability comes from their old packages not being changed.

What about FreeNAS?

I installed Fedora, and it can't open rar files.
So I installed 7zip, and when I right click the rar file, I don't see 7zip listed in any of my programs.
Where do I find where 7zip installed to?

Do Gpu passthrough, and be careful. Weather it was by fault of me, systemd, or my drivers, after I "activated" GPU passthrough my shit got fucked up. I had to reinstall my distro. Serious graphical glitches.

Did you switch from Windows recently?

Dunno, But if you aren't a big fan of their packages, move over to the testing branch.

What combination of processors?

Yeah, Forza 3 is, seen two others that are Windows Store only, and Windows 10 only.

I though about that too, but I think that if I move to the testing branch, I don't know what am I choosing Debian.

Am I wrong?

As opposed to every other distro?

Which Fedora spin did you install? Default with GNOME? Install the "unrar" package to get RAR support (it's not free software, maybe it's not even in their repository).
How did you install 7zip?

>I don't know what am I choosing Debian.
rephrase

>What combination of processors?
????

->
-> ->

GPUs, I was thinking of using an Intel IGP and an Nvidia GPU.

ENABLING that something else entirely. You can probably enable that through your motherboard and it will count on your machine as a separate device. Which you can use for linux and you can use your graphics card for windows. I'm lurking in the cross thread if you want to keep talking.

because people doesn't use arch anywhere, they shockingly use arch to install arch