/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Cred Forums wiki headphone FAQ
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/ISK/32279127183.html
wiki.installgentoo.com/images/b/b8/2008DF.jpg
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK612.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD580wHD600headband.pdf
aliexpress.com/store/product/UES/519064_32635402257.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/nocable/519064_32631446078.html
amazon.com/dp/B00UG7QMPO/
ebay.com.au/itm/558/182274192132
researchgate.net/publication/233592549
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/553woq/my_gorgeously_looking_z7/d87dxd1
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/553yjh/one_mans_junk/d87b549
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/555mzt/old_sony_headphones/d889ci6
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5583bt/my_little_headphone_journey_impressions_and_some/d88dzwg
edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/h850-foldable-puresound
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/files/Headphone_Amplifier_Performance_-_Part_2.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3xOgg9mtk
youtube.com/watch?v=3GE-sfEbJ7I
youtube.com/watch?v=V9ljioyR1I0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZO6giM9UAv0
youtube.com/watch?v=_tcW-j7KFgY
youtube.com/watch?v=lCGCG_N2b30
youtube.com/watch?v=GiXlhwI5xHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pS9yxvQzQdM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hurr, DT 880 sucks

of to a good start

Air pods are the future okay I haven seen any in real life yet but I've seen plenty of 7s is only a matter of time

Just got my HiFiMan HE-350's yesterday. So far I'm enjoying them.

>order new pads for my 770s
>2 weeks and counting
reeeeeeee

>tfw i feel for dt 770 80 ohm meme

>bought a superlux hd661
>bright sound signature make ears bleeding
>tweak equalizer
>mfw now sounds totally different
>mfw I like it

Chinese magic I tell ya

Sennheiser HD201 any good as basic smartphone listening?

What's wrong about it

>Budget
>Source
3.5mm jack, preferably without needing a dac/amp
>Preferred type of headphone
None
>Open or closed
Barely any experience with headphones. I have more experience with closed than open, but I wanna check open out.
>Comfort level
Mid-High
>Preferred tonal balance
No experience with anything other than v-shaped. I like bass, but not enough to kill the rest of the song.
>Past headphones
None worth mentioning other than maybe my Soundmagic E10s I use with my phone. I used a plantronics gamecom 780 a while back, but that's a gayming headset so it probably doesn't count for shit.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598's and they seem like they'd be great. I know the bass is pretty neutral on them, but I think it might be worth sacrificing for that soundstage.
I've also looked at the ATH-M40x and the DT770 pro 80ohm as possible alternatives, though they're closed back.

Are the HD 598's worth getting for ~$30-40 off over the HD 558's?

>Budget
I have never spent more than $20 for headphones out of necessity, that being said I'm open minded.
>Location
US
>Source
Comp
IEM
>Comfort level
Important, I have had earbuds before that were not made for human ears.
>Past Headphones
nothing worth mentioning

HD558 is the same headphone as the HD598, same divers, same materials etc, you can even do an easy reversible mod to it if you absolutely want the same exact sound.

>Tonal Balance
What sound signature are you looking for? What type if music do you listen to?

>Budget
50 USD
>Location
Colombia, but I'm looking at importing them from USA
>Source
Android phone
IEMs
>Comfort level
They shouldn't hurt too much
>Past headphones
Panasonic RP-HJE120, I liked them a lot but I lost them last week.

Thanks

Hey, I just wanted to thank all the people who recommended me the K702 with the Fiio10k
After two weeks of use I really fell in love with the setup

I guess something evenly distributed in treble and bass?

>Budget
$300
>Location
USA
>Source
IEM: Phone exclusively
Cans: FiiO K1 to PC
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Velour is nice but not necessary, pads similar to Samson SR950
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy or V/U Shaped
>Past headphones
Skullcandy garbage

Superlux HD 681 + Velour pads
(Clean, natural sound. Bass is clean just not enough. Treble is bright as expected, can be a bit fatiguing.)

Samson SR950 - Current
(Sound great. Lots of bass, can sound bloated depending on song. Mids are fine. Treble is a decibel too bright. Perfect if made open)

JVC HAFX40 (good amount of bass and is clean with no noticable mud. Treble can be a bit too harsh.)

I'm stuck between Fostex T20RP MK3's with Shure 1840 pads, AKG K7XX's and Fidelio X2's. I only listen to EDM play mostly CSGO, BF4, Rocket League and osu!.

I'm also looking into buying new IEM's. I'm either between Xiaomi Hybrids or TTPOD T1's

Any recommendations or responses would be great, thanks. Sorry for a wall of text.

>soundstage
>real

Fidelio X2

>Buy M40x's
>Can barely hear difference between them and the piston III's
They just sound slightly clearer. Maybe I fucked my ears up with years of IEMs. I hate myself.

>wireless is frowned upon
>headsets are frowned upon
Finish the greentext OP.

Sennheiser HD600, they're on sale right now.

>this post
>original

I picked up some fidelio X2s about a month ago & have been using them with my motherboards onboard audio (Realtek ALC892). Does anyone have any suggestions for a dac/amp or sound card? I don't have a problem with volume too low & they sound much better then the trittons I was using, but I'm wondering if I can get it to sound even better. I tried using razer surround pro & that just made everything sound really off & muddy. Any one using these for pc gaming/movies have a suggestion?

nah, you can do it for me when i'm not around.

Go away Jakkasu.

Still can't handle the truth I see.

>Bassy or V/U Shaped
>HD600

what kind of IEM should one get for sleeping?

the ones i had in the past hurt alot when sleeping on the side.

fang bian pays you to post these right?

Do you want some jank cheesy shit that will only be good for literally nothing or do you want an all rounder that you can eq to perfection without distortion?

At least get something that you'll be satisfied with for some time, not the awful roundup that you handpicked from google and reddit.

>Budget
$60
>Location
Portugal, can import
>Source
Phone / PC
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Velour or something semi-comfy, like sennheiser's
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral suits the job, nothing too bassy
>Past headphones
Sennheiser 419, they broke

Hi Rajeev,

We've deposited $0.81 into your account.

Thanks,
Sally Achterberg
Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG

You do know that they are recommended for a reason right? There literally is no other headphone at that price point that sounds as good or better.

How come so many people dislike Beyerdynamic in these threads?

DT 770 user here

Aren't HD600s like, the perfect reference headphone at that pricepoint? They're really good at everything, making them great for straight up comparing sound.

Nobody likes you Jakkasu.
What, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are the top two brands here.

I bought some cheap earbuds off of Monoprice and was surprised to find that these replaceable rubber pieces were the same as the ones that came with my Skullcandy earbuds, I can freely swap them with one another.

Seeing as how there is apparently some universal standard for these, what's the best earbud piece that I can buy? Do you like the foam ones? I'm seeing a bunch of different kinds online.

>Budget
$200
>Location
USA
>Source
Honor 5x (semi-recent android phone)
IEM or decently isolating over ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
Very comfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
I listen to Metal and edm so V-Shaped?
>Past headphones
HD600, DT770 80ohm (shit tier, returned), HD598.

I would like something semi-isolating(1hr bus ride) but would prefer to stay away from IEM's as I know I will break and or lose them however I am still open to them.

I was looking at the Sony MDR-1A or the Brainwavz HM9 but am still open to suggestions as neither seem that comfy.

I forgot to mention that I would also be using these off an O2/ODAC source when room mates are being loud.

Is it normal for the screen/filter to fall out on IEMs ? I don't own any fancy and premium ones, but still this shit is annoying, baaically every time I clean them, the screens fall out, I'm afraid of losing them in my ears

Why would you want a V-shaped headphone when you disliked the DT770? Do you like the Sennheisers? Those are neutral.

>nobass
>neutral

>memes

HD600 is the most accurate full sized headphone that money can buy today. Name a more neutral headphone in production and I'll buy it right now and post the order confirmation in this thread.

Comply are good as far as foams go. Rubber ones are more or less the same shit, just different shape. Find one that fits your ears.

>Budget
$45-50 maximum

>Location
Mexico

>Source
Mainly from my phone, sometimes my pc

IEMs

>Comfort level
It doesn't really matter, i only use them less than 2 hours most of the time

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral

>Past headphones
I have an SHP9500 and my Soundmagic e10s (who just got killed today) :(

Thanks!

Etymotic MK5

Specify a target curve.

The standard of headphone target curves, diffuse field.

K612

so hpg, I've been looking at some AKG K240s on amazon for like $65. They look half decent, aren't too heavy, and I can get a better cable and some velour pads for like $20 more total. Is there some better choice for around $80 total?

I basically need over ears that are comfy enough for 5+ hour sessions. I don't mind if they're open or not. I don't have a headphone amp but I could look into getting one that's around $50 on top of the cans if it'll make a big difference. Tonally, I like generally balanced headphones, with decent bass, not nigga bass, and clear highs. Midrange-wise as long as it isn't muted all good.

Previous headphones are some beats studio limited edition dr dre thing that I got for $30 off some dumbass who thought they were broken b/c no bluetooth, some Sennheiser MM30i cheapo IEMs, and some Bose on ears that were comfy.

Not a massive audiophile, just want a decent pair of headphones that sound good, have decent soundstage, and are really comfy. I'm listening off my PC motherboard, I think it has an amp in the rear connector but probably not.

I'm buying shit from the US Amazon store, but I'm not actually in the US, it's just cheaper and easier buying shit there rather than locally. Budget is around $80, with and additional $50 for an amp if it'll make a significant difference.

Nope.

Yeah.
Didn't expect you to deliver anyway.

That's wrong though.

2kHz spike, uneven treble response.

Only get the 598's if you like the color and headband. 558's are almost identical, and I'd personally argue better, due to the headband being softer.
They sound very close, it's hard to distinguish. If you want a slightly colder, slightly more high-centric like the 598's, you can just mod the 558's anyway.

Don't get m40x, just commit to 770's if you want closed back. The soundstage is fucking glorious on the 558/598, so if you want that experience, they're your best bet with that price range. Its orgasmic with orchestral or jazz.

Get Senfer UES. Theyre ~35 USD, but they're fuckin worth it. They're over the ear loop and actually ear canal shaped, so they're damn comfy and wont fall out.
The bass is real present, but not at all overpowering. It's punchy and not muddy.

If you don't want to spend that much, look for Piston 3's. They're hard to find, but they're pretty good.

>2kHz spike
Doesn't go over the target curve at any point near 2 kHz.
>uneven treble response.
Smoothness is irrelevant to accuracy. Besides, HD 600 has a huge dip between 6 kHz and 9 kHz.

If you want heavy bass, the X2 are really the best option. For the amount of bass they have, they're not that sloppy. Compared to an HD 600 or something, sure, but if you want dat sweet rumble, they're the best you're going to get in that price range.

>no bass and treble rape

IEMs don't fuck your ears up. It's purely volume-based. If anything, IEMs save your ears so you don't have to turn up the volume since they isolate from background noise so well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DF compensation.

Consider Philips SHP9500.

Takstar Hi2050/ISK 2010
aliexpress.com/item/ISK/32279127183.html
they sound pretty damn close to to HD 558's in terms of quality. Soundstage and imaging isn't quite as good, but not too far off.
Theyre a little more V-shaped, but still fairly balanced. They have nice velour pads, so they'll be comfy. Built well too.
Look up reviews for Takstar hi2050 [the old producer of the HP2010's] if you're skeptical, since theyre not exactly a brand name.

If you dont like them, then you're probably gonna have to buy another 4xx senny unless you wanna spend more.
though if you get lucky and can find SHP9500's for cheap, go for them.

What's the most comfortable pair I can get for around $120 that has a detachable cable so I can use it with the V-MODA BoomPro? I don't really like how ModMics work and look, specially for the price.

Gonna have to ask you for a source.

There must be something wrong with me this morning because I rarely laugh at this shit, but HAHAHA

>Smoothness is irrelevant to accuracy.
wat

wiki.installgentoo.com/images/b/b8/2008DF.jpg
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK612.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD580wHD600headband.pdf

same as this though you can get better cables since the stock one isn't that great.
they use the same cable mechanism as shure IEMs. its called MMCX
aliexpress.com/store/product/UES/519064_32635402257.html

though get these if youre gonna buy a better cable
aliexpress.com/store/product/nocable/519064_32631446078.html
those dont come with a cable so theyre cheaper
to find a better cable just search 'Shure cable' or 'MMCX cable' on aliexpress or ebay
theyre around ~$9 usd, so its not much more than the ones with the cables.

go for it. i'd say SHP 9500's are also an option, but theyre slightly lacking in bass. the k240 are bit more bassy. if you plan on putting velour pads they'll be plenty comfortable. moreso than the 500's imo.

What's with that distortion on the K612?

W-what do I do? I've only had one eargasm moment since getting them :(.

A hypothetical pair of headphones with a smooth frequency response that derives from a given target curve by the same amount as another pair of hypothetical headphones that do not have a smooth response cannot be said to be more accurate.

I'm not sure. Could be an artifact.

you've probably just had your music up too high
ive got hearing damage and it aint fun

Thanks, I've been checking some reviews for both and I think the AKGs are a better fit. The Phillips' do look pretty good and seem to be a steal though so I'll look around and see if I can try them out maybe.
Amp wise, at this price range and impedance levels an amp isn't necessary right?. If I go ahead and buy and entry level fiio amp will it make a significant difference with either the akg or the phillips?

Damn.

No, you don't need an amp for either
Any source these days will power them, unless your pc is old as shit [like 10+ years]
A fiio amp shouldnt really do much unless your source is bad.

Do I need an amp for dt990 250 ohm?

Nah.

Also that distortion on the K612.

Can anyone answer this? Looking for some closed overears for around $120. Must have detachable cable and be as comfortable as possible, as I'll be using it for 8+ hours a day. I'll be buying it from Amazon.

Yeah.

>Also that distortion on the K612.
Irrelevant unless you can prove it's audible. Which you can't.
HD 600 has more THD+N above 1% anyway.

>Irrelevant unless you can prove it's audible. Which you can't.
Is there any reliable source on THD audibility?

The Correlation between Distortion Audibility and Listener Preference in Headphones
Audio Engineering Society
Convention Paper 9118

Your best bet is ATH-M40X with replacement velour pads. Perfectly fits your budget.
Though if youre alright with trying open, SHP-9500's are also good.

I actually already own some Brainwavz velour pads, so that would be perfect, however, Amazon doesn't seem to sell them directly, and I'm not from the US, so I'm planning on importing it, and I don't want to go with third party sellers. What's the difference from the M40X to the M50X? I could go for it instead, even considering it's quite a bit pricier.

I hated the DT770 because they were uncomfortable as fuck and had no isolation, sound was alright. I loved the HD600's but need closed/isolating.

They don't?
amazon.com/dp/B00UG7QMPO/
Why don't you want to use a third party seller?
I would assume the only difference being time to ship. And since amazon 'insures' everything anyway, it's not like youre going to be scammed.

Anyone used the hyperx cloud revolver? It's know to be good fro a headset but how does it compare to an HD598?

known to be good for*

Anyone who can recommend some good IEMs to use for comfortable sleeping on my side?

It won't compare to 598's even remotely. 598's are open and have massive soundstage. The revolvers won't. Just get a modmic/boompro/ a desk or boom mic

How much better is open really? I like the isolation of closed but people say the sound quality is actually worse?

Okay I'd like some help finding some nice low budget headphones. I'm no audiophile but I want to feel like what I've bought is better than apple earbuds.
>Budget
$100 max
>Location
usa
>Source
general listening. will use for monitors while recording at home, video games, watching shows, listening to music on walks, etc
cans
>Open or closed
either, probably closed.
>Comfort level
I wear glasses and have a smallish head. I'd like something adjustable.
>Preferred tonal balance
none.
>Past headphones
I liked these loose fitting studio monitors they had at a place where I recorded some guitar a few months back. Don't remember the brand but they were comfy. they didn't clamp hard on my head and the ear padding was very soft. Great sound, too.

>Budget
$500

>Location
USA

>Source
PC (Focusrite Clarett Interface)

Over Ear

>Open or closed
Have only ever had closed but looking at open

>Comfort level
As long as it doesn't literally stab me I should be fine

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, These would be for monitoring mixes and general editing

>Past headphones
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (I know, meme headphones) Sony MDR-7506, And a slew of shitty forget about them IEM

Whatever would be the best available or natural progression from the m50s, its my longest pair for some time now (6 years) and maybe something that would complement or if in fact be the opposite of my reference monitors (JBL LSR308)

Stax 2170 if you can find a good deal

sound quality isn't necessarily worse, it just tends to be
open has a much less congested sound and is a lot more airy, often resulting in a less harsh sound without sacrificing clarity.
along with an insane advantage in soundstage and imaging
though open somewhat has a disadvantage in the low end. it's certainly possible, but its a lot harder to achieve

Brainwavz HM5 are 109 USD on amazon rn. Well worth the money, and they're like 10% off what they usually are
If you /really/ absolutely cant go past 100, NVX XPT100 are pretty much identical. The HM5 are ever so slightly smoother, and may be a little less fatiguing
They're both extremely comfortable. Amazing pads. Brainwavz are essentially the mainstream aftermarket pad gods.
The XPT100 have slightly worse build quality, but neither are bad by any means.

HD600.

>Budget
100-200
>Location
US
>Source
Computer with amplifier
over ear
>Comfort level
Extremely important, I want the softest comfiest headphones possible
>Past Headphones
Sony MDRXB700 and a pair of skull candies (I think hesh 2 or something) that I got cheap.

note: I'd like a pair that has a removable cable

open or closed?
what tonal preference?

Closed and I prefer heavier bass, thanks

DT 770 sounds pretty perfect for you then. Comfortable as hell. Nice velour pads and well cushioned headband. Big cups.
V-shaped with nice bass. Built well.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I'm coming here just to ask this.

So I've been wanting to graduate on up to a legitimate pair of headphones for a while, maybe not the very top of the line but a decent investment compared to the 40$ Skullcandy Hesh 2 headphones I've been using for the past few years. I recently noticed however that Skullcandy just released the Hesh 2 wireless, and are about to do the same for The Crusher. I don't plan on going anywhere near an Iphone 7, but this seems really appealing to me since I constantly have an issue with aux cords being broken. Most of the time these days I don't even bother trying with my headphones, and just use whatever trashy inner-ears I can find, because I know the cord will be broken in a few days.

The new models are going to be 99$ and 199$ respectively. The wireless would do me good, but would I be lacking in sound quality getting this brand? Are there better wireless headphones that are better for sound quality?

Just ordered a Vali 2 the other day. How am I going to like it? Everything I've read makes it sound like the most amazing thing ever.

Just how bad is the sound leakage in an open back headphone vs. the better soundstage?

I understand the basic difference between open/closed but I still can't decide what I prefer. I'd be using them predominately at home on my computer, where its fairly quiet, but am still conscious of people in the next room hearing.

Thanks

Is the modded T50RP meme dead? I thought people would recommend them more

I need a good but not very expensive wireless headphone. What's your opinion on the Sennheiser RS 120?

Hey fokes,

I've been lurking on massdrop for the last couple of days, but mostly looking at the k7xx's.
I currently own a pair of dt770's, i love this pair of cans, but after stumbling upon the k7xx, i'm looking into selling my dt770's, and join the drop.
I don't really care about the build quality, but would any of you recommend me to do it?
I've also never owned a open-back pair of cans, nor anything decent besides my dt's.
I will mainly use it for techno'ish minimal, and is a big sucker for the idea of a spacious soundstage.

Is Google Play or Amazon MP3 better sound quality?

How bad did I fuck up?

at least its only $40 worst case

So I compared 100Hz to 10kHz since beyond 10kHz would be hard to average.

Using 100Hz as the reference point. The DF standard appears to be:

1kHz + 4dB
2kHz + 11dB
3kHz + 16dB (rounded off)
4kHz + 13dB
5kHz + 11dB (rounded off)
6-8kHz + 10dB
9kHz + 8dB
10kHz + 6dB (rounded off)

Using these points, lets determine which is more accurate. First let's do the HD600, but I'm picking the HD580 since it seems to be a better representation here. Note that the InnerFidelity values would be more rounded off because there is a lot of raw plots and I'm using both channels. Here's the values:

100Hz 0dB (reference point)
1kHz 0dB
2kHz + 5dB
3kHz + 10dB
4kHz + 10dB
5kHz + 5dB
6kHz 0dB
7kHz - 5dB
8kHz - 5dB
9kHz 0dB
10kHz 0dB

Now the AKG K612 (note that 6-10kHz is difficult to get a real value do to the large variation):

100Hz 0dB
1kHz 0dB
2kHz + 6dB
3kHz + 12dB
4kHz + 9dB
5kHz + 4dB
6kHz + 4dB
7kHz + 3dB
8kHz + 2dB
9kHz + 4dB
10kHz 0dB (too much variance to use an average value)

Now lets do some simple comparisons, any 1-2dB differences are negligible so lets do the ones that matter. At 6-9kHz the K612 is closer to the DF standard, therefore it's more accurate in this area, though the measurements show a lot of variance there. Based on this the K612 is more neutral, but the comparison is limited as we need to see the K612 measured in a more consistent manner with a true DF target curve, and a more consistent HD600 unit.

I will be trying this on Speakerphone's raw HD600 measurement just to confirm:

100Hz 94dB = 0dB
1kHz 94dB = 0dB
2kHz 100dB = + 6dB
3kHz 105dB = + 11dB
4kHz 104dB = + 10dB
5kHz 102dB = + 8dB
6kHz 102dB = + 8dB
7kHz 99dB = + 5dB
8kHz 99dB = + 5dB
9kHz 96dB = + 2dB
10kHz 95dB = + 1dB

Something's odd here from 5-8kHz we're seeing the HD600 as being more neutral compared to the K612. But then again the inconsistency of measurements at InnerFidelity makes this claim questionable.

If you ask me we need more data to determine which is more neutral.

Okay, with a good amount of lurking I now know the answer to my question. Obviously it would be a big waste of money for some shit headphones.

I guess for now I'll just lurk more and try to learn the apparently vast world of headphones before making a purchase.

Right off the bat I'm eyeing the Sennheiser HD 598, and the ATH-M40x. If anyone wants to help me expand my list:

>Budget
100-150
>Location
US
>Source
Android Phone
>Preferred type
over ear
>Comfort Level
As much as can be balanced with a high sound quality
>Past Headphones
pleb tier skull candy
>Additional info
I mostly listen to jazz
Removable cable would be nice
I'm willing to pay a little more for style (but not too much)

in the last thread i got recommended the sennheiser 558s but before i pull the trigger is what are the differences between the 518s,558s and 598s

They are probably going to be able to hear what your listening to a little if you crank it up loud enough, that is if you close the door. If you don't close the door they will definitely be able to hear what you're listening to.

Best to get closed in that situation. DT 770, NVX XPT100, or AKG K553 pro. They all have a good soundstage for a closed headphone, not nearly as good as an open but good enough.

Don't get the 598, get the 558
the headband is better and theyre cheaper
slightly warmer than the 598 too

518 is a fair bit bassier than the other two
bass isnt amazingly clear either. but theyre not bad if you can pick em up for cheap

558 and 598 are almost identical in terms of sound
558 is slightly warmer, and the 598 has slightly better upper mids/highs
headband is better on the 558

i own 598 and have no ragrets desu

depends how thick your walls are.
unless your walls are fucking paper, the most anyone will hear is the high upper frequencies, but barely. open won't wake people up a room over or anything.

Hey /hpg/, do you guys remember that desk mic that was recommended in here all the time a few months back? It was chinkshit, had a golden top and a black base, it was like 15, 20 bucks or something like that.

Thanks for the responses. I'd lean towards closed based on them, but being in Aus my alternatives are limited and prices are way higher. HD 558s are hard to pass up.

How do ATH-A900x/700x hold up as closed alternatives? Heard the bass is lacking, and I listen to a lot of house/electronic.

Maybe I'll just blow my load on the Fidelio X2.

It's the BM-800
I've got one and its good. you can get them cheap on Aliexpress or Gearbest
ask /csg/ if you want more info.

Bass is lacking on both the Senny 5XX and the ATH-AD series, though the Sennheisers have a bit more

The x2 is quite bass heavy, so if that's what you want, they're your best option, though it does drown out the upper frequencies a bit.

Oh also, I'm in Australia too. You can get HD 568's for around ~120 dollarydoos on ebay atm. It takes a while to ship, but ebay has good consumer protection if you're worried.

HD 558's sorry, not 568 [as if they existed in the first place]

>Budget
Flexible. From $100 to $200 (If money do matters, I can make all that’s possible to increase my budget).
>Location
Chile. (If you need a site to compare, ask me).
>Source
3.5mm jack.
Full sized please.
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
I don’t care. If better sound quality > comfort means actually not being able of enjoy music, then I’d prefer something in the half. Half comfort and sound quality.
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy.
>Past headphones
I have used regular closed headphones to cheap-crappy open earphones all of my life. So this would mean a real life changer.

I want them basically just to listen music. I'm not using them for any other reasons at all (I mostly listen to jazz, funk, rap, eletronic, rock and industrial if that helps on the recomendation). I don't care about aesthetical stuff, if they are ugly but nice then it's ok. Hope it helps.

Oh wow. Found them for $180 using staticice, but $120 is hard to turn down. Thanks!

All I needed was the name, thanks for the hook up friend-o.

This is a shameless self bump

Nevermind, I just checked again
they went up a bit
i only looked last about a month ago

these were the cheapest i could find
ebay.com.au/itm/558/182274192132
About 144 aud in total with shipping
still better than 180

only one left too

DT 770 might fit your bill.
Moderately V-shaped and pretty good quality. Comfortable too.

Haha I was about to ask where you found it for that cheap. Thanks for the link.

Why do people say they are crap? Is it a meme?

You guys use Foobar2000 ? Also is it worth gettin' a headphone amp/DAC ?

the highs can be irritating for some. you can fix it with some felt over the driver without sacrificing mids/lows though
im not really sure how cheap you can get them in chile, or are you buying online? not really sure about shipping and import taxes there

they're definitely not bad, but some people don't like anything that isnt very close to neutral.

Long story, but I've been suckered into acquiring a pair of Skullcandy Uproar Wireless.

How fucked am I?

It's terminal.

Foobar is GOAT.

You only really need an external DAC if your mobo sound sucks
And you only need an amp if your mobo doesn't power your headphones properly, or they aren't loud enough.

You dun fucked up, kiddo,

So I want some wireless headphones for listening to music on the go with. Are there any worth having for 200-250 bucks or so?
I liked my meme tier m50s before they got stolen, so I'm considering getting the m50x if not.

In chile they cost like 138.990 pesos (Like US$221). Well they aren't in Chile desu, but there's a chilean site that imports them. But in amazon they cost 139 dollars.

There's no problema with import taxes though

stop queueing US east

One week in with my m50x's. They're great. Haters get fucked.

A great thing about headphones and music is that is all subjective. Cool right ?

Should I get a pair of HD600s or a pair of SRH1840s if I'm looking for a good open-back?
>Budget
$250-$600 flexable
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Amazing all day
>Preferred tonal balance
Flat
>Past headphones
Shure SRH840
V-Moda XS

No se inglés, perdón

Most of the hate doesn't really come from their quality, it's just that they got so fucking popular, they get recommended nonstop to anyone with a budget until 200 dollars, regardless of use. And then you see things like "best budget headphones EVER" and it makes them so overrated, people hate on them just because of that, not because they are utter shit or anything.

Like the 668B's. But everyone likes them. Also the Hyper x clouds.

Hyper-X Clouds are fedora-tier man. They out you as a gayming manchild that listens to whatever reddit and tech youtubers say about headphones.

HD600, more well known and reviewed.

The 1840 is crazy flat but has high distortion and can be bright. Also sealing isn't too great.

I'd say the HD600 is more neutral given Clarityfidelity's measurements.

>Budget
~$100, Flexible
>Location
Australia
>Source
PC
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Moderate
>Preferred tonal balance
I don't mind
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XD100 (Got them for free from a friend)

Do AKG K550/553 make good portable phones?

Momentum 2.0s. They're above your budget but worth it.

>Budget
$200
>Location
USA
>Source
Xonar DSX with Muse OPAMP and some nichicron fine gold capactors with wimo in parralel
CANS
>Open or closed
I don't know honestly
>Comfort level
Very comfortable, I have glasses
>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced
>Past headphones
Audio-technica ATH-AD700 and currently using ATH-A900X

I like my headphones for all types of music and gaymen.

Post that wallpaper senpai

yo hol up
what's the best headphones for

Where should I go for an upgrade to my zmf vibros /hpg/?

Considering more memes like the ether but I've literally never tried out open headphones before, went from takstar pro-80 to a second hand zmf vibro for 300 usd and of course it was a huge upgrade. Do I go for high end open headphones now if I'm looking for a similar upgrade in quality or have I hit the point of extreme diminishing returns? Also seriously considering getting an hd 650 or 600 as it seems like it'd be a great complement

Stax lambda.

>Budget
$250 soft
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop
Fullsized
>Open or closed
Either will work, usually have used open
>Comfort level
Anything comfortable in humidity
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy
>Past headphones
Superlux HD668B
Steelseries Headphones

I've been looking at a few but im not sure what I would want to go for.

Do you know if there's a Samson that qualifies for my list?

I think anybody who primarily listens at their desktop could use an amp. A lot of hardware doesn't provide enough amplification to fully exercise the bass capabilities of headphones, even non-demanding ones. The extra control is nice too.

DACs usually aren't as important unless you get some static (most common on laptops). I fully admit that I'm not confident I could pass a double blind test comparing DAC and no DAC, but it feels nice to have it there anyways, and be sure I'm not affected by the potential problems of weaker, built-in DACs.

You got cucked

>The DF standard
Ignore it.
Diffuse field at DRP, as also tabulated in 11904-1 (2002) is not readily applicable. 11904-1 provides mean data about human ears. Dummy heads do not necessarily match up with this ideal.

Look through this sometime, freely available.
>Determination of Noise Immission From Sound Sources Close to the Ears
researchgate.net/publication/233592549

It should be clear that the innerfidelity head is different in its transfer response, and removed to a certain degree from the mean human ear response. Use the actual results that are relevant to the head for headphone interpretation.

>A lot of hardware doesn't provide enough amplification to fully exercise the bass capabilities of headphones, even non-demanding ones
If your justification for this involves the magnetically coupled mechanical resonance, you should think over why that is very carefully.

Next time, don't wait for someone to reply to.

HD 558

Clouds [the first and second] are fine. I bought a pair and love them. 32 USD on sale for something more comfortable than M?0X and sound almost as good.

I didn't even buy them for the headset factor, and I've never even seen anyone shill them on youtube other than LinusKekTips.
Paint them black and go over the stitching with marker and you've got Takstar Pro 80's with better earpads.

Phillips Fidelio X2
warm and bassy
open and velour pads so you won't get sweaty

frist time, no bully pls. I've never owned a good quality pair of headphones and am utterly clueless. pls help

>budget
$75-$250 flexible
>location
us
>source
3.5mm jack
>preferred type of headphone
full-size
>open or closed
closed
>comfort level
as comfy as possible without sacrificing too much sound quality. both are important to me, but i don't want my ears to ache after hours of use
>preferred tonal balance
balanced
>past headphones
you don't wanna know

I listen to a lot of music of all genres, but don't really play any vidya. It would be nice to be able to take the headphones places, so some level of portability/durability would be lovely, but if that affects the quality and comfort too much then nevermind. Aesthetics are also an important consideration for me - it would be preferable if it came in colors other than black. M50s look pretty gross, but I'd be willing to settle for them if there are no other options.

Right now i'm considering selling my shitty, overpriced old pair and getting the closed-back A700x. I love the way the open-back looks but I don't want any sound leaking out or in. does the closed back affect the sound quality or comfort much? is portability a major issue for A700s?

I think having received a German brand lollipop with my ODAC has coloured my evaluation.

trust me they suck. They sound good but the pads are nonexistent. Sound leaks out of them easily and the cable is too long for smartphone use

>Budget
200 or so CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
Sansa+, Intercom audio out, PC
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
comfortable enough to wear 3-5 hours
>Preferred tonal balance
Bright
>Past headphones
Nothing significant. Mostly sony and panasonic full-sized.

I'm primarily looking for something that can cancel out the sound of an hockey arena/concert/landscaping machinery pretty well.

>Budget
~£100
>Location
UK
>Source
Smartphone via Bluetooth, PC via 3.5mm
On-Ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Preferred tonal balance
Nothing too bass-heavy, I want those mids to shine.
>Past headphones
I use a pair of Grado 325s for my home hifi and currently have Senn Momentums and HD518s for other stuff. I'm looking to sell those two and go wireless since it's finally catching up with wired in terms of sound quality.

I've been looking at the ATH-SR5BT, AKG Y50BT and the Marshall Major 2 Bluetooth but not sure which would be best for me.

Is soundstage a meme? Why would I want to hear instruments from different places.

Because mono is boring

You're confused. Soundstage just means how far things sound from you. Deep or wide. Dynamics also help with instrument separation if you're interested in that.

Because that is how music works IRL?

So when people say the hd589 has a huge soundstage,they mean sounds can sound far away from you right?

>Why would I want to hear instruments from different places.
It makes the music sound more lifelike and puts you in front of the band. I hate listening to mono audio with headphones.

i assume you listen exclusively to live recordings then because that's now how it sounds at all.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Sennheiser HD 335s cans. Are these any good?

Thoughts? Would like to match this up with Sony ma900's & mainly want a usb like this so I can use it with my phone & tablet.

Any recommendation on running earphones and if I can buy them cheap (aliexpress / Amazon)

I'm from South Africa so our exchange is whack bout $30 budget.

How does it sound then?

>Budget
>Source
Computer
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Don't really care
>Preferred tonal balance
As neutral as possible, however would prefer mids/bass over tinny treble
>Past headphones
Apple earbuds, a couple of shitty headphones and the XPT100

I need something that fits these requirements, but most importantly, has noise cancellation or at least naturally lets in very little noise. I like my XPT100s as fair as sound quality goes, and they are good at reducing noise, however they still let in too much outside noise for my liking.

Also I meant $250 in AUD so that would be ~$200 USD.

Bump

>Budget
100€(' 111$).
>Location
France.
>Source
USB2.0 at the minimum.
Full sized.
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
enought to endure hours of gaming and my work out. Must be 3D sound a gaming headphone obviously, with wire 2 meter minimum and of course a renovable microphone.

>Past headphone
Sound-Blaster-TACTIC-3D-v2.0-Rage-USB ( you can breath)

i'll buy a new one soon, well i ha've this little one on the picture.
I 'm satisfied about the sound quality and want to have the same or better:
20Hz~20kHz ,102dB/mW, 32 ohms, 3D Surround Sound, USB and wire i'm not looking for a wireless.
The negative point about this one is the structute, after one year, the plastic become too fexible and it is hard to maintain it stable on my head and ears sound isolation is dead due to this.
I have to says that my headphone has to endure my workout, this is why i need your advise. witch one should i choose, there is a lot of choise and i've a little lost.

>USB2.0 at the minimum.
lolwtf

>20Hz~20kHz ,102dB/mW, 32 ohms, 3D Surround Sound, USB and wire
why do you need all this? you don't understand the value in any of that shit
headphone ranges dont mean a single thing

why are you trying to use a headset for working out? won't happen

you're essentially limiting yourself to shithouse headsets

Can anyone help recommend some extremely comfortable headphones? I'll sacrifice price, sound quality, anything for the sake of more comfort.

I've been using these hard wraparound earbuds that seem to have been designed for some hypothetical race of aliens and my faggot NEET ears cannot bear any more, anons.

>why do you need all this? you don't understand the value in any of that shit
headphone ranges dont mean a single thing
it is my headphone spec nothing more

>why are you trying to use a headset for working out? won't happen
you're essentially limiting yourself to shithouse headsets
Just because i don't like in-ear heaphone. i have to make a precision i don't go to a gym club, i make my traning in my house closeto my computer and a can't use speaker.

I'll revise my post from last thread since nobody replied to it

>Budget
$200 hard, ~$150 soft
>Location
USA
>Source
Smartphone and laptop, 3.5mm
Over/around ear
>Open or closed
assume I want both
>Comfort level
Enough for a few hours without pain
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral
>Past headphones
Some piece of shit from Turtlebeach I currently use

I'd prefer a detachable cord and nothing that needs an amp

>it is my headphone spec nothing more
yes, which are entirely pointless
nobody cares about the specs of your headphones.

fill out the purchase request form which is in the pastebin in the OP

>Just because i don't like in-ear heaphone. i have to make a precision i don't go to a gym club, i make my traning in my house closeto my computer and a can't use speaker.
i said headset, not headphone. there is a difference.

>assume I want both
w h a t
nigger what are you doing?
you cant have open cans at the same time as closed

I just wanted a reccomendation for both types, 2 pairs

should really have specified then

Sorry, I have a habit of not entirely typing out what I mean

>assume I want both
should have been
>assume I want a pair of both

from there I'll decide what to get

Allright i made a mistake, i was just thinking this will help.

>i said headset, not headphone. there is a difference.
ok ok guess you now understand that i'm not really familiar with this kind of things that why i need advice.

And i must correct
>source
Computer.

>Budget
100€
>Location
Europe zone
>Source
Phone / PC
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Enough to use it more than 5 hours straight
>Preferred tonal balance
I guess natural but not a special preference (Something that can be used for detailing the small sounds in Gaming plus everyday use)
>Past headphones
Some Genius shit that costs 10 bucks

This

>tfw ATH IM02 is extremely sensitive to source's output impedance
>tfw anything higher than 1 OHM impedance would make it sound bad
>tfw phones nowadays are getting higher output impedance for god knows what reason
>tfw have to carry a Fiio E6 around just to solve this problem

And I thought IEMs were supposed to be ultra portable.

This.
This is why you buy wireless for portable.

Any good wireless cans around £100?

>tl;dr: need an open-back headphones alternative

I go to a new school since recently and have to travel an hour with the train. I have the Sony MDR MA900 open-back headphones. They bleed A LOT of sound. At school I work with group projects so I'm stuck sitting at that table for the rest of the day. No finding a deserted room for me to blast my music like before.

What do? These headphones costed me 250 euro's, they're great (except for the build quality). I can't afford to buy another pair of headphones for 150+ euro's.

I don't want to bother people with my music bleeding in the train or at school. But I don't like the sound of closed-back headphones or earbuds.

In return I can give fitness or photography advice if you like.

Bump

see Sony MDR MA900 considered one of the comfiest headphones weighing almost nothing

This is a late as fuck reply, but anyway, I can't buy it from a third party seller because I'm not from the US and they don't ship internationally. Products sold directly by Amazon are eligible for their international shipping, where they even deal with customs for me and shit is super quick and easy.

If anyone has more suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. My only worry about the M50X is whether it's comfortable for 8+ hours, even with a memory foam velour pad.

I need an amp for AKG K702. Is the Fiio E10K good? If not, what should I buy in the same pricerange?

Bought the 1As a few weeks ago, very satisfied with sound and comfort is amazing imo

>Non detachable cable
Into the trash

How is the isolation, i've heard some mixed things.

>Budget
Around 300$
>Location
Mexico City
>Source
MacBook Pro
Wireless
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I cant stand uncofortable headphones
>Preferred tonal balance
No bright sounds
>Past headphones
Sennheiser Momemtum, plan to keep them, I want wireless headphones

Are heavily discounted Marshalls good, /hpg/?

pls no bully, I use my Grado SR60i usually

>wireless

I am curious, do some onboard chips have a denoise filter? Listening to this ODAC I'm noticing noise in songs that I can't recall when with the onboard VT2020.

>Budget
200 euro
>Location
europe
>Source
phone
over-ears
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
maximum comfort, willing to sacrifice sound quality

Hey Cred Forumsuys I'm going to try to see if I can convince a few people I know to buy some shitty overpriced headphones.

Can you list some buzzwords/phrases I should use when explaining hifi audio?

please respond

They have very similar sound compared to HD600. Extremely comfortable.
The manufacturer have b-stock for sale at 169€, with surface defects..

All righty, phone as a source, so high impedance phones wont work well.
Disdain.

Just spend 2 minutes on either /r/headphones or head-fi.

lush, articulated, magical
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/553woq/my_gorgeously_looking_z7/d87dxd1

thick, brings out the best
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/553yjh/one_mans_junk/d87b549

really fast (transient response),
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/555mzt/old_sony_headphones/d889ci6

natural sound, with life, everything just blends right in, perfect harmony, lifelike experience
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5583bt/my_little_headphone_journey_impressions_and_some/d88dzwg

So this line just released last month 09/16, IFA 2016

HD600 vs HD599 ?

290$ vs 249$

Kind of interested. HD600 release date was back in 2000, that's over 15 years... Still the reference.

I've been rocking only Senns since the HD595, just got the HD598SE when I was about to pull the trigger on the HD600/650

I'd say Sennheiser HD 6 at 150$. I'm interested with the HD 8 as well for EDM, a brand new line released last year. I have Bose QC 25s and they're the best although there's also a bluetooth version. The pads wear out way too fast...

absolutely flawless love for sennheiser

i need them to work, not for great audible value, I think my current headphones are good enough for that

I will check it out, thanks bro.

>Budget
Roughly $300. I have more money I can spend but that's about the value I place on headphones. Willing to go up to 500 if it is truly almost 100% better than the 250 cans.
>Location
USA
>Source
I'm willing to purchase which ever amplification is required for the headphones. I'll be buying a DAC for use with my phone and laptop to get rid of noise regardless. The majority of my music is flac(from rutracker, haven't verified if they are REAL flacs) and 320 mp3.
I am enitrely open to IEM or closed over ear that are PORTABLE. I will be taking these with me to school 4 days a week for use on the bus and in the library.
>Open or closed
Closed. Will be used on a bus, in the library, as well as my desk.
>Comfort level
Very important. However negotiable.
>Preferred tonal balance
This is the hardest question for me. I listen to almost exclusively trance with female vocalists. So I assume good extention into the highs is important, as well as imaging. Overall the headphones must be very dynamic as trance has thumping bass as well as constant high notes.
>Past headphones
ATH-m50
Sony XBA-h1
Beyerdynamic dt990 250 ohm
HyperX Cloud
out of these all I prefer the dt990 by a large margin. It is easily twice as enjoyable to listen to as the ath-m50 and xba-h1. I'd also like to point out that while the dt990 sounds COMPLETELY different to the previous two mentioned headphones that in a side by side test I am unable to differentiate the sound from the xba(IEM) and the athm50.

So my current choice is the ath-msr7. Also considering vmoda m100, oppo pm3, t70p, Sony h.ear overear headphones.

I find the Momentum line to be super memey, but hey whatever floats your boat.

just realized HD599 only runs 50 Ohm as well ugh

totally miss the 120 Ohm version from the 595

There has to be a refresh of the 600/650 coming up srsly

Looking for wireless headphones under $100, preferably over ear, second choice would be earbuds with a collar. Mostly listen to metal and podcasts. Suggestions?

try BD770 80ohm
MSR7 is super uncomfortable

I'm fairly certain I will like those less than the dt990. Vocals are incredibly important to me and those are just closed 990s, right?

What about pic related? My only complaint is that they are not really portable, they're huge and will be a pain to fit in my briefcase/laptop bag thing.

Whats a good (portable if possible) amp/dac to power my dt990 pros 250ohm?

I got them cause I'm waiting on my 990 premiums 600ohm to get fixed.

>Budget
Fiddy dollars
>Location
US
>Source
Mp3 player and phone
IEM
>Comfort level
Important
>Past Headphones
Piston 3's that are having problems sealing in one ear
Panasonic earbuds from amazon (the most popular ones on there I think)

I prefer balanced headphones

Holy shit, I'm so glad I didn't fall for the wireless meme today. I tried out the Sennheiser Wireless Momentums and the Bose QC35's, and they both sound like complete garbage compared to my trusty HD-25II's.

no shit wireless is trash

This is related to speakers not headphones, but I couldn't find an audio general / speaker thread so I thought I'd try here.

Essentially I'm looking for a pair of floorstanding speakers with very good bass (I primarily listen to DnB, jungle, reggae etc.). My budget is £500-1000

As it stands I'm looking at something like the Elac debut F5, however I'm concerned the bass might not be enough, so I was also considering something like the JBL JRX225, but I'm not sure if the extra bass would come at a cost to overall sound quality.

I'm not too well versed in speakers, but I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

tl;dr what speakers are good for dirty bass

>Budget
$300 soft
>Location
USA
>Source
PC gaming
Fullsized , a detachable cable is preferred
>Open or closed
No preference
>Comfort level
Anything comfortable in florida
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy
>Past headphones
Pretty Crappy Headphones

>Budget
exactly 100 dollars
>Location
USA
>Source
3.5mm
Over ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
something that won't entirely hurt after an hour or two of using
>Preferred tonal balance
V-shaped
>Past headphones
probably just garbage, getting money so i might as well upgrade from garbage to budget garbage

oh, and i forgot to mention i'd like to be able to use it to talk with friends, so having a passable mic is probably a good idea

Brainwavz HM5.

Hyper Cloud Xs Kingston

oh nice, some other friends recommended that as well so i might as well go for it. is the mic quality passable?

the mic on the cloud revolver is brety gud

For best microphone quality set level to 100% and boost at 0%?

bump, unless my question is just totally unwelcome here

Requesting Cred Forums head phone guide for 2016

like the channels are artificially placed during mixing.

>$100-200

SR-3, SR-X mk 3 with SRD on ebay

>$200-400

SRS-001, Lambda basic systems on ebay

$400-600

SRM-1, SRM-T1 lambda systems on ebay, SRS-003, SRS-005 on PJ

$600+

SRS-3100,5100 on elusivedisc or PJ when the guy gets outta hospital.

z reviews? Thoughts? He hates m50x. Is he our guy?

he shills the fuck out of the hd600 so yes

I have a question. I'm thinking of getting the DT 770s, but I'm not sure if I'll get the 80 or 250ohm version. I'm probably getting Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sooner or later, but that has to wait. Can I live with the 250ohm version without a sound card? How bad will it sound? Thanks

I watched some reviews and I'm thinking about buying this. What you guys think?

edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/h850-foldable-puresound

The best portable headphones are still the Koss PortaPros, right?

Ordered some.

>tfw every few months I have to buy new cheap chink sets because the wires short or completely crap out and cut in half
Canibalizing old sets to repair current isn really feasible. My sturdiest repair that hasnt go bad to this day since 2 years is to combine 2 headsets from which both one side had gone bad and one still works but the audio is really shit quality.
Now enough of the blog post. Can you recommend me a headset that is in the 50$ range and the wires wont fuck up easily

philips shp9500 vs hd 558?

Superlux HD-681 EVO

Had them for about a year before I got a ATH 500X

Removable cord is a bonus.

What model are those supposed to be? It looks like a couple of different ones.

I have been thinking quite some time about getting new headphones to likes to mongolian throar singing and russian rap music. Got about 2000€ to spend. What should i buy to get the best music experience?

>2k euros

>Fidelio X2
are they worth getting for 280 burger dollars or should I look somewhere else to get them cheaper?

Yes about 2k euros

K141 MKII

Stax, probably SRS-5100.

Stax phones are heavenly.

Ok genuine question. I get the quality of 10-20$ headsets is trash but what about when we go above 50$? Are they all just a meme and the brand/price itself sells the products more so than supposed quality or is there more to it?

Mongolian throat singing and russian rap? Awesome

Determine whether you prefer headphones over speakers first.

Then make your own sound room, so start researching wood and get the professionals to advise you, heck travel to mongolia and russia to gain some wisdom on the nature of the music before even listening to the parables on the materials to be used and the vibrations expanded in space because you want that authentic feel to reproduce what you really hear in person

They're also way more expensive than they used to be. Not worth it at all anymore imo.

I found them painful to listen to for long periods of time. The highs were really grating for me.

>what about when we go above 50$
Things start to get better sound quality wise but especially build quality improves. Sound quality is a mess regardless of price point but the best headphones are also priced higher. It's just that they are in the middle of plethora of shitty and expensive products so you can't really go price first and expect to get good stuff despite paying a lot.

>the brand/price itself sells the products more
Yeah that's definitely what happens in the higher end of this market.

What's the benefit of having higher impedance?

o-one last bump

pls help :'(

cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/files/Headphone_Amplifier_Performance_-_Part_2.pdf

The pads look disgusting. They remind of some shit I had with my old walkman.

I think they're actually K142. It has squared off ends on the headband which look spot on on the K142s, while they're round on the K141s.

I use an external dac/amp with my phone and have gone through three different mini-to-micro usb cables in a short time. Carrying the rig in my pocket is a bit tight, I imagine it's when I sit down (especially on my motorcycle) that the cords break.

Can I get recommendations on really durable cables? Either mini-to-micro usb, or durable 3.5mm aux cords. Short is better.

>external dac/amp with my phone

That sounds retarded.

Don't take an amp with you every day. Are you really such an audioautist that you have to have your finest quality sound everywhere you go? I only ever use my amp at home (obviously) and when I go on very long journeys.

Otherwise my fio x1 and headphones do the job perfectly well.

it kinda makes sense if your phone has shit audio

but at that point you might as well just buy a nice 'mp3 player' that actually has good output

>Budget
~200 usd
>Location
EU
>Source
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
full size
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
maximum comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
whatever's good for these
youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3xOgg9mtk
youtube.com/watch?v=3GE-sfEbJ7I
youtube.com/watch?v=V9ljioyR1I0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZO6giM9UAv0
youtube.com/watch?v=_tcW-j7KFgY
youtube.com/watch?v=lCGCG_N2b30
youtube.com/watch?v=GiXlhwI5xHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pS9yxvQzQdM
>Past headphones
Superlux hd681b

>that taste
>>>/global/rules/2

>muh taste
go back to Cred Forums you meme fuck retard

that reminds me of my shit taste when I was 12

well, mentally you are still 12 it seems

How come I never see the shp9500s mentioned in these threads? They're great for the price.

They're mentioned pretty regularly actually
usually once or twice per thread

They're usually not that popular because the HD558 does what the 9500's try to do but better, for not much more if you get them on sale.
And they're also in a kind of nothing zone in terms for pricing. A bit too much for cheapo nerds who want sub ~50 USD, and there are better options for those who are willing to go up to ~100 USD

>Budget
500€ max
>Location
Europe
>Source
Sansa clip
Full sized or iem
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Need comfort
>Preferred tonal balance
I prefer neutral, but I won't be against some v-shaped ones
>Past headphones
Ath-m50. I want to upgrade and I will use them mainly when going out. I like the M50 for being really portable for a headphone and I would like my new pair to be as portable and sturdy. Would love to have something more comfy thought.

desu at that price range portable full size stuff is pretty shit. it tends to ride on brand name rather than actual products

>Budget
30-40€
>Location
Europe
>Source
Laptop (Thinkpad x220), iPad
Full-sized or iem
>Open or closed
Preferably open, but would consider closed too
>Comfort level
I want them to be comfortable, yes
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 419, HD 202

>Sennheiser HD 419
what was wrong with your 419 other than them being closed?

>nobody recommends anything
nice thread epik

I suspect a great deal of the old lurkers who were audiophiles and a wealth of experience and information have abandoned the thread because of a shitposting wireless advocate.

That's what I expected, that's why I'm also looking into IEMs. Was thinking of the ER-4SR but not really sure about the whole ear-dildo thing.

I still use them, but they have too much bass for my taste. While I still enjoy it with electronic music, other genres seem very "dry"...

The left speaker in my Sony MDRV6's is super quiet, it's gonna die soon isn't it?

mdr-1abt
fidelio x2

>old lurkers with a wealth of experience and information

Someday I will reach the haven that cannot be soiled by ye ignoramus ignorabilis as an abandonment advocate, so I can be talked about as a wise man

You've already created your haven here in this shitty /hpg/ where no one cares to help another anoa. They only care to shitpost and effectuate his own post purchase rationalization.

/hpg/ isn't even as good as head-fi now that it is just as crappy but with even less recommendations offered.

Does anyone have the webm of the old audiophile who keeps cringing while reviewing the headset?

Thanks.

>Budget
Ideally $50 - $100
>Location
US
>Source
3.5mm jack, Phone/Comp
Over/On Ear
>Open or closed
No preference
>Comfort level
Comfort is a must
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
None worth mentioning. Currently using some Koss ear clip pair I can't be bothered to find the name of.

I'm thinking about either getting a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20x or the Koss PortaPro LE coming out in November. Huge drawback of PortaPro is that they don't isolate and leak which is all that's keeping me from just getting them.

X2

K, so I have a pair of planar magnetic HE-400s hooked up to a sabre DAC and schiit magni amp, yet it still seems to be less resolving of detail than my 60$ in-ear bass head earbuds. Wtf is this shit, are IEMs just that superior to over ear open back headphones?

bump

Broadband EQ.

I don't know what you are doing with the HE-400s as it is widely derided and compares poorly to basic stax.

I plan to use my headphones in public spaces, and will need to block out sounds with them. Should this immediately eliminate open back headphones options for me?

please

I have a pair of bluetooth sony headphones 950BT

how bad did I fuck up

Open headphones don't block out much external sound.

Not necessarily. Likely a cable/connector issue elsewhere.
Headphone drivers seldom die, excluding hitting or puncturing the driver itself.

>for a pair of floorstanding speakers with very good bass
If you're looking for floorstanders because you want bass, they don't necessarily have it. Floor standing speakers are only a rough form factor, and can have much less deep bass than a compact speaker. You would want a sub anyway, both for bass extension and quality reasons.

Roughly speaking, max SPL/sensitivity can be seen as part of a triangle of compromises, with bass extension and cabinet size as the other two corners. You can have a large speaker with okay sensitivity and nice bass extension, a mid-size speaker with miserable sensitivity and great bass extension, a large speaker with excellent sensitivity that has no useful response below 50 Hz, and so on.
Those JBLs (and most PA speakers) prioritize sensitivity over all else, and home gear will usually have lower sensitivity and can reach closer to 20Hz in a meaningful way.

>Not necessarily. Likely a cable/connector issue elsewhere.
>Headphone drivers seldom die, excluding hitting or puncturing the driver itself.

I do drop my headphones a lot admittedly

I just need to google how to disassemble and look for whats not connected right?

yes and no
yes as in it will die
no as in, itll be absolutely reparable

i had this problem with some old senny's. signal wasnt being supplied properly because one of the wires has fallen off
just open em back up and solder on whatever came off
or just use a hot knife to melt the solder if you dont have an iron
its not that hard of a deal.

actual issues with the drivers are insanely rare in headphones

>Budget
$50-$100
>Location
US of A
>Source
Phone/Asus Laptop
Anything but buds/IEMs.
>Open or closed
Either is fine, but closed would be preferred.
>Comfort level
Reasonably comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
Not too bassy
>Past headphones
Had two pairs of $30 skullcandy headphones. They worked fine but broke within one year each. I thought maybe I wasn't taking proper care of them but after the second one breaking I figured it's just because they were cheap. IEMs hurt my ears.

Also, if possible, I'd like the headphones to have a microphone function.

Closed and portable overlap heavily. Few headphones are strongly isolating and large/comfy, particularly around 500€.
Oppo PM3, ATH-MSR7, QC25 and QC35, Audeze Sine, they're all somewhat small.
>Was thinking of the ER-4SR but not really sure about the whole ear-dildo thing.
Eardildo? The tri-flanges? Some people find the Etys very comfortable, others don't.
You can use other eartips. Westone Star, Shure foam, Klipsch tips, Comply foam, the list goes on and on.
Deep fit is an insert to the bony portion of the ear. This is generally recommended with Etys, not just for sound but for other practical reasons. It reduces occlusion and maximizes isolation.

What you really want to do is test the integrity of the cable and make sure the wire is not broken. Failure is not limited to the part of the cable that is outside the enclosure, the cable could have been loosened out of the solder joints.
>I do drop my headphones a lot admittedly
You might be looking for something more visibly out of place. For example, the driver knocked out of its mounting plate.

What are the best headphones in that price range though? I'm in exactly the same price range and also need portable.
My current choice is MSR7 but my list is huge;
Momentum, bunch of IEMs, PM3, Sony H.ear, vmoda m100, etc. I just can't decide, been weeks.

NVX XPT100 or Brainwavz HM5 [whatever you can afford]
Both are extremely similar. Hm5 are maybe like 2% better sounding. Both are really good for the price, and fucking AMAZINGLY comfortable.
Incredible soundstage and clarity. Neutral, but responds well to EQ

Though if you REALLY want a microphone, get Hyper X Cloud Core [first or second ones, not revolver]
They sound close to the above two, [a little more v-shaped] but not really as comfortable.

Honestly just get a desk mic or clip-on [Sony ECM-CS3 is legendary]

Hell, if you get the XPT you still have the budget for a mic

>Budget
50$-100$, flexible
>Location
Turkey
>Source
Pc
Don't care
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I don't care that much about comfort, but it is better if it is also comfortable.
>Past headphones
Logitech g230.It was decent, i don't have much experience with headphones tho.

XPT-100/Brainwavz HM5 or MDRV6
XPT is more comfortable and built better but hey, other options are always good

Theyre all fairly neutral. What type of music do you listen to?

ER4SR is objectively the best in any price range.

Except the Stax in-ear series is superior to ER4, with lower distortion and negligible insertion depth effects.

But it has no isolation and requires the extra bulk of the portable amplifier. Both factors are less than ideal for public use.

$50-75
California
iPod Classic
IEM
some comfy
SE215, CX685, HD25-1 II, Amperiors

really looking for something I can use during my runs and walking

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I'll be grabbing the X2's and I'll look into demoing the HD 600's

>What are the best headphones in that price range though?
Do you have the MSR7, or want to purchase MSR7? I don't think MSR7 is strictly bright; it lacks treble but has a local peak around 10kHz. I end up boosting the top end with EQ. Good stock tuning on a (closed) headphone, but too small for me.
I dislike most portable on-ear/over-ear headphones, generally too tight fitting or poor coupling to my ear. However, they are quicker to put on and require less fussing with earpieces than in-ears.

Other ratings:
>M100
Pretty mediocre overall. Uneven response overall, bumps all over from low, mid, and high.
>Momentum and M2
Strong treble notch filter, like the EL-8 hardly anyone likes. As with the Audeze, it's not as muffled as it might appear to be, but the treble is mess and impossible to equalize. Lame.
>PM3
Like MSR7 with a general boost below 300-400 Hz. Similar treble issues, but the bass might make it easier to live with.

Not familiar with the Sony.

In-ears align more closely with my priorities. More compact, more isolation, can be worn when laying down and sleeping. Most in-ears have higher sensitivity, sometimes even to the extent that it is a problem. Not always, and not my current set.

>Budget
Max $100
>Location
USA
>Source
PC and phone
full sized
>Open or closed
No experience with open so I'll go with closed
>Comfort level
Something I can wear for a good while