Record-breaking DDoS reportedly delivered by >145k hacked cameras

>arstechnica.com/security/2016/09/botnet-of-145k-cameras-reportedly-deliver-internets-biggest-ddos-ever/

lol IoT

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/capcom-promises-street-fighter-5-rollback-after-rootkit-discovered-in-the-latest-update/
howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>botnets keep getting bigger while some people here still believe they're not even a thing

those people are the ones making the botnet bigger

This is what a botnet really is. Hijacked devices working together to achieve a nefarious goal.

but if the goal is nefarious, why is chrome a botnet?

Turns out screaming "botnet" at absolutely everything has a cry wolf effect, you idiots have only yourself to blame.

>you
>yourself
For what reason does this matter so much to you?

IoT was a mistake

cause Google's motto is "Be evil"

IoT is a meme, isn't that obvious?

Mfw people will one day use botnets of Internet connected toasters and sex toys to deliver 100tb attacks on mainstream websites

>Memes memed the meme of meme

Why is she biting?

It was good weeb bait

Japfag literally b8ed.

>Google collects some data to function efficiently and giving accurate results.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT A BOTNET ITS GOING TO TAKE ALL OF MY VITAL INFORMATION AND IT WILL GET ME ARRESTED BY EXPOSING MY CP

>Dumb consumers buying millions of cheap home automation gadgets with shit software and horrendous security was a mistake.

ftfy

>lol IoT
you forgot to call it a meme

And not a single one of those cameras will get a fireware update to patch any exploits, even though most were probably "hacked" by default passwords.

funny thing is that to qualify for HomeKit requires a vendor to meet very strict security requirements before Apple will give them certification.

device makers constantly whine about Apple's security requirements. all they want is to cash in on the fad nao!

That was my point. HomeKit devices aren't your run-of-the-mill IoT garbage because Apple actually enforces security standards for certification.

Update? Just throw it out and buy a new one. The public will pay for it.

>years later
>some very important servers go offline after a terabit DDOS attack
>Cred Forums screams botnet
>government says that it's the terrorists
>a snowden like guy leaks some info about how Win10 based PC-s were used to do that.
>Cred Forums was right again.

>at absolutely everything
cause every new thing comes with a botnet, name 3 things that aren't botnet or Jackie Chan

your mom

>tfw youll never have a shell on a qts vibrator so you can gently edge her to orgasm and shed be none the wiser

How is it crying wolf when its true every time?

Windows 10 isn't a botnet
Norton isn't a botnet
Betabot isn't a botnet
uTorrent isn't a botnet
iTunes isn't a botnet
Street Fighter V isn't a botnet

>Street Fighter V
what

pcgamer.com/capcom-promises-street-fighter-5-rollback-after-rootkit-discovered-in-the-latest-update/

What the fuck

Wouldn't it be amazing if somebody abused window's decentralized updates to create a massive botnet?

For the uninformed: howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

How can you even send packets from cameras? Did they have busybox shells?

They have a web interface for controlling them. Obviously, people are too retarded to change the default password or disable world access.

How the fuck do you think you get data off of the cameras in the first place? A security guard isnt going to replace SD cards all day.

Yeah, I'm talking post exploitation. I'm curious of what the equivalent of "ping" is on these things.

I assume the data goes to a NAS.