UGH

UGH

Windows 10 AU came into my house and fucked me while i was sleeping. Laptop fucking sucks now, can't navigate any folder or pages without pausing for no reason or Cortana jumping in with Clippy-style quips.

So I'm just fucking done. My PCs aren't great but I've been holding out making this descision because i test a lot of work stuff on Windows. I'm just going to fucking do it: I'm going to Install Gentoo.

I've used GNU/Linux enough here and there. Have a few servers running different distros. I'm familiar with how the work, i juat haven't made the switch because of work and because i always seem to find a way to fuck up Linux installs on my personal devices. IDGAF because if i have to tell my goddamned desktop one more time that i dont want Windows Defender, Firewall, Cortana, and god knows what else fucking tagging along and popping up (along with fucking ads) every 20 seconds, i might become the next mass-shooter (jk NSA please disreguard).

Anything I should know before going full-on personal-PC-Linux? Any tips for choosing software or distrobutions?

Otherwise, Windows hate thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

don't install gentoo - install mint or something
gentoo is not for newbies

its a meme here - it's sarcastic

it should be "install mint"

mint or ubuntu
use the most widely used

but there are many options (unlike with microshit)

distrowatch.com/

see, mint is #1 .. ubuntu is geared towards easy use

would say use ubuntu or mint.

Thanks for the replies! I am running Ubuntu LTS 14.something on a web server and CentOS on another. I feel most comfortable with these two but I also have a few boxes running Red Hat (at work) and FreeBSD (fucked that one up multiple times, stearing clear of that for now.

Will probably try going for Ubuntu. Anything i need to know that i can't do on this that i will miss from my Win10 and 7 installations? (Already worried about getting games to work)

I just installed that same update too and what the fuck

How do I disable Cortana??

You don't

Install Gentoo

Use xubuntu. Its based off of ubuntu (meaning most ubuntu ""tutorials"" should work) but a little more Windows-y which is good for beginners

The more logical choice is to install W7. Linux is broken and difficult to work with.

Did the AU stop windows update from showing exactly which updates it's going to download? Laptop has the AU and all it says is "updates are available" or something close to that, no details.

Trust me, man. I love Win7. I've spent a good portion of my career supporting it. I just know that the clock is ticking and sooner or later M$ will pull the rug out from under that shit and it'll go to OS heaven with XP.

I figure I might as well start now because I'll have to accept Linux into my heart eventually.

It's all fucked up. And honestly, do you think Windows 10 ever actually 'told' you what it was installing / doing in the background?

Tons of games on steam are supported on Linux, which is nice

There are exceptions but a lot of the windows-exclusive games are shite

Do you know of any of the same shady shit M$ does like 'usage statistics' etc that could be present on Ubuntu-based systems?

>NSA/Windows fags
And nothing of value was lost

I don't follow but sorry I made a joke about the NSA I guess.

Stock Ubuntu with Unity includes some Amazon garbage (or at least used to), the spinoffs don't.

So tired of this nanny bullshit.
LET US SEE THE FUCKING UPDATES, LET US CHOOSE WHICH ONES TO FUCKING DOWNLOAD, LET US SEE THE SPEED IT'S DOWNLOADING AT AND GIVE US STANDALONE INSTALLERS WHEN WE DOWNLOAD ONCE SO WE CAN USE THEM ON OTHER COMPUTERS!!!
They even removed the option to disable Cortana in the latest "update", you have to disable it using group policy. Why? Just fucking why? It seems like they're deliberately trying to piss people off.
What's worse is that no suitable alternative exists for windows. Almost non of the CAD/CAE software I use is made for anything other than Windows and Mac.

THEN DONT INSTALL NSA/WINDOWS YOU FUCKING MOUTHBREATHER

>Almost non of the CAD/CAE software I use is made for anything other than Windows and Mac.
And Mac is even worse so all that's left is Winblows.

That would be... the exact fucking point of this thread.

You actually joined right in the middle of what adults like to call "a conversation."

Great powers of deduction. Thank you for stopping in. Are there any other nuggets of wisdom that your elite autistic mind would like to share? Anything else you can manage to type out while sitting your 400lb ass on your bed?

I'm hoping I can run a few Windows VMs but for stuff like this. And by 'stuff like this' I actually mean games.

If you can't handle windows I don't know why you think you'd be better off with Linux.

That's a good point, maybe I should just be done with computers.