>almost 2017
>there is still no alternative to this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hWq4DWfrpu8
lmgtfy.com/?q=discord
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>56840064

There may never be again, everything is completely fractured between people who only want to communicate with friends and people who also want those they hardly know to be able to find them.

Text messaging is still the best form of communication in my opinion and it actually pretty close to how IM used to work. But not that WhatsAPP horse shit, just straight SMS please.

i feel like every program out there is only about collecting as much as information about me possible.

this was a joke post HAHA now you are addicted to heroin

Telegram is pretty decent.

>requires phone number
yeah no.

i have no idea how i would ever have been involved with grills during my teenaged years without msn. holy shit

When did everything went so fucking wrong guys?

back in the day we didnt have SJW
we didnt have facebook or twitter or social media besides based MSN
youtube was good
Cred Forums was at its best
windows xp wasnt bloated

I want to go back guys ,,, i really do

what the hell does my outlook inbox log into? every time i check my email it says im "online" but if messenger no longer works, what the fuck am I online at? I always click my name and set it to "invisisible" and this shit doesnt even remember it next time

Skype or Discord, for both of the crowds.

Don't like the offerings, work on theirs/yours.

>2016
>americans still use SMS over whatsapp

Counter strike friends have some comedy gold tier humour.

what exactly are the features you crave?

I never used msn messenger back when it was still being developed, and it's not obvious from the UI.

Are you from the US? I've heard somebody from the US on this board before complain about 'free messaging' programs and praise SMS. Here in Europe SMS service is fucking shit, however we get much more out of our data packets bang for buck.

and thats why they need foostamp in order to eat , funny cause food , housing and clothing is much cheaper in the usa than in europe yet many americans spend more than $100 a month on phone bills.

there is, it's called telegram and is way better than that messenger ever was

>"b-but muh rings"
cancer that I'm glad is gone

>"muh custom emotes"
good riddance, it was impossible to talk to any girl because they always had those glittery letters that made shit unreadable.
Telegram has custom stickers if you really want

>but telegram requires a phone number
not really anymore

Nobody around here even knows what WhatsApp is. In the States you get two choices
>just use SMS, which literally everybody has unlimited
or
>use Facebook Messenger to talk to some people, Kik to talk to others, Snapchat to talk to others still, BBM to talk to a few people, etc.

I'll stick with SMS.

Practically every phone plan in the country comes with unlimited SMS, you actually need to try to find a plan that charges you for them.

same

>>use Facebook Messenger to talk to some people, Kik to talk to others, Snapchat to talk to others still, BBM to talk to a few people, etc.

This is the point I was trying to make and got flamed for, it's not that SMS is god-tier, it's that it's the most universal way to communicate in the US and it Just. Fucking. Works.

when privacy & security doesn't exist

I kind of like groupme

I only wish the modern phone IMing apps didn't use proprietary protocols so we could use something like pidgin for all of them

Instead you have companies like Snapchat that prosecute anyone who reverse engineers their API and tries to publish

>Text messaging is still the best form of communication in my opinion and it actually pretty close to how IM used to work.
Not even a little bit.

So does sms

Actually a lot. Did you use AIM in the 90's?

IRC has been around since the 90s

Kids these days baka

I did and it's nothing like SMS. Unless you mean at the very basic level where you send a message and it's virtually instantaneous. Then sure, SMS and AIM worked exactly alike.

MSN Beta? You can try Skype Preview too.

No one's going to go out of their way to host an irc, or even worse use a public server if their aim is security or privacy

Tox for secure communication,
Discord for casual

>easily able to send pictures, video, voice messages
>voip
>easy to use group chats and broadcast lists
>easy archival
>end to end encryption
>owned by a large corporation you can trust, so frequent updates and unlikely to be abandoned
>huge userbase - everyone you know already uses it

and americans still unironically use sms over whatsapp then fight over blue vs green text bubbles

>owned by a large corporation you can trust

kek
nice bait

Why would I go on a computer to talk to my friends when I can just text them? I mean I personally wouldn't know because I don't have any friends but still.

i miss exchanging msn's in mmorpgs.

>not using icq

So what about them is so different exactly?

>Messaging programs for people who don't have any IRL friends

only carders use icq desu friendo

Most modern games these days hve an integrated chat system.

Also
>gaymen

i-i play in private servers that gets closed down every 2 months

The internet wasn't as much of a walled garden dominated by the corporatocracy.

It's also no longer "nerdy" to be using the internet for more than an hour, so you now have the masses of normies on here.

you can trust the zuck

he already knows everything about you anyway

Nobody is going to use MSN if their aim ie security or privacy idiot.

Requires a phone number instead of a screen name
No status indicator
None of those little blurbs people like to put
No profiles at all
No away messages or anything like that

There's more. It's really not the same.

But IRC IS secure

It's like if two smuggler boats meet out in the middle of the ocean, the only trace left are wakes.

damn, both of which are avaliable for ios and android. but a popular kid like you would know which applications and companies to get cucked by.

>Learning about technology from TV

youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

A public server can and will log, a secure irc is a private irc

thatsthejoke.png

hipster who thinks he's cool for wanting to use original methods

youtube.com/watch?v=hWq4DWfrpu8

instead of SJW we had 'videogames cause violence'
Cred Forums was never good.
youtube was filled 90% with shitty mp3's of songs + that godawful blue background + floating white text.
xp was a 2-bit whore of an OS and bluescreened often.

you have bias, you're only remembering the good bits.

Telegram has great desktop applications, as long as you're using it without the expectation of privacy, you're fine.

>Parents allowing children to talk to strangers online

>Not using your phone as a phone
>Not using Wire
>Not using Skype like a proper corporate drone
>Not using Slack like a wage cuck who only has coworkers for "friends"
>Not bouncing morse code off the ionosphere
>Not distributing cuneiform tablets to your neighbors
>Not grunting and using hand gestures
ISHYGDDT-DIGGY-DOO

It really depends on the country. I'm a third world faggot and everyone here uses whatsapp, then I lived in new zealand for 2 years and everyone used SMS except germans and south americans.
Also the reason of this was that everyone had unlimited sms

SMS is bad goy, Use whatsapp, Send your data to a central server for storing.

All my friends just use Facebook Messenger. The only thing I use SMS for is family.

I also use teamspeak for voip stuff. Barely ever use skype/discord, but those are options as well.

>but muh security!

Like MSN Messenger was ever secure, fucking kek.

And so does WhatsApp when the recipient is unreachable.

>fighting over text bubbles

that's only the idiots on here and a very small percent of retards in Cali

>almost 2017
> have never used MS Messenger even once in my life

What does it even do? Apart from using resources to be a security hole in your system?

Seriously, the only reason I know this exists is because every system I use I go into Services and disable it, along with telnet and other similar shit.

Americans don't use WhatsApp. WhatsApp is most heavily used by Yuropoors and pooinloos. Almost everyone here just uses SMS, Facebook Messenger, or iMessage. Hardly anybody here even knows what the fuck WhatsApp even is.

I should guess americans also don't even know who their neighbors are.

No we do, meeting our neighbors is something commonplace as soon as we move in somewhere. But back in the mid-2000s, unlimited messaging was pretty much the standard on cellphone plans, and still is, so we had no need to look up alternative messaging for phones. We just asked for someones number and then sent em a message with no hassle of making an account on WhatsApp and making sure the other person had the app on their feature phone. Not sure how Europe and Pooland was at the time. Nowadays, we just use Facebook messenger because its pretty ubiquitous at this point for your friends to have a FB, so again, no need to make an account somewhere else on a different service.

Basically to reiterate my point, the reason why WhatsApp never took off here was because it only had one purpose - messaging, and people didn't really want to make an account just for that, on a phone at least. They just used SMS because it was 2ez, no setup, no explaining what WhatsApp is and explaining how to get it and add someone needed. Then Facebook came about before smartphones, and once smartphones became the majority, people already had a FB, so why not use that instead of just 1 more service.

>depending on anything owned by facebook

yeah no thanks

>luckily I speak leet

>back in the day we didnt have SJW
you have a fucking short memory then goy

>we didnt have facebook or twitter or social media besides based MSN
wtf? ever heard of myspace? hi5? yahoo 360?

>youtube was good
LOL
>Cred Forums was at its best
DOUBLE LOL
>windows xp wasnt bloated
now i know you're young

How the fuck are you Americans still using SMS? That's some retro-tier 90s shit. I was surprised as fuck to find out smartphones can even still handle SMS.

It's outdated, though. There are more comfortable options.

Which are useless if the people you want to talk to aren't also using them.

Yes but until everyone uses the same damned messenger SMS is the best choice. I'm not going to use 4 or 5 different IM apps to get a hold of everyone when they all have SMS.

>closed sourced proprietary service
>Russian
>requires phone number
>not encrypted by default

damn that gif is smooth af.

Use trillian

I also like telegram. But it seems like I have to install one of everything if I want to talk to my friends. I'm on telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, hangouts, and text. Every fucking day.

And don't forget to install your updates :-)

Cryptocat anyone?

>people who don't exist

Sure feels nice not being a burger.

Right. Im so mad. I just really started to internet again and I find out the hardway skype is kill.
I have no decent way to talk to, send files to, message, or anything else with my pleb friends. They all want me to use kikebook and I still flatout refuse to make one.
What do?

why is skype kill? Are you just referring to the Microsoft ownership?

Skype is shit. It was shit leading up to the microsoft purchase, and it's even more shit now.

>why is skype kill
god.. where to start.. chronological I guess?
>Microsoft bought them out
>Microshaft is the nsa's bitch, basically anal slave for the government.
>log everything, muh privacy but thats not a huge issue
>online status is fucked on occasion
>calllng out seems to be a huge probelm even though Im on home wifi on a laptop
>call quality his HORRIBLE
>constantly cuts out, other person goes real quiet, they claim to hear a screeching from my end
>sometimes they've actually ask what I said even though I havnt spoken for a good minute or two
>file transfer time is literally in the kbps range
>can take up to two minutes to get a single picture
I feel Im missing something.

Those are fair points, although I don't have any performance issues, I was just confused of what you meant by "kill" since that usually means taken down.

lel, I get 150 or something texts a month and send 30 at most.

Okay?

I see you're new.

Not even remotely. How the fuck would me not caring how many texts you go through in a month make me new?

Nobody cares whether you care or not.

Fuck off retard

make me

"is kill" is a universal term that spawned from a meme here the better part of a decade ago, its got no set definition.

You're not worth my time

yet you keep replying

It takes seconds to type a reply, actually making you fuck off would require me to spend days traveling to bumfuck nowhere to beat the shit out of you

>implying you could beat the shit out of me
>implying you would even if you could

nice dubs

>implying I couldn't beat the shit out of someone who needs a forklift to move from his current position
>implying I wouldn't

>projecting

Using that shitty aplication in 2016, my sides

>implying it's not true

>implying it is

>denying facts

>projections are facts

this can go on forever, spice it up faggot

It would be quite doable to write a backend in erlang + a client in Qt.

IRC.

discord nigga

What's discord?

>people that had all that shit in their names

why they do this

fuck this is some nostalgia

lmgtfy.com/?q=discord

But it's all open source in GitHub including the client, API, etc user

A webm would have been objectivly better.

Not the server

Pidgin let you sign into every chat client at the same time

youtube was shit when it had the 15 minute video limit

only nigger tier prepaid plans from meme networks limit texts

facebook messanger is the worst
>needing to install a 300 mb messaging app compared to letting me send messages on the main facebook app

That was my point, dumbass

iMessage would be a very viable alternative if Apple built clients for non Apple products.

>Facebook forcing people to download Messenger when going to messages on the mobile site

>tfw mobile site works just fine for reading messages on my phone
If I leave Facebook open in my browser and lock my phone it even vibrates when I get a message

>tfw no ICQ
>tfw you will never hear that OH-OHOO sound again

Fuck off millenial

>millennial that can't spell millennial telling other millennials to fuck off
kek

Woweeeee you guys argued for a while

Is ICQ a better alternative to Skype?

I just want basic chat and sometimes webcam with my friends.

>tfw you will never send your buddies paint messages and play tic-tac-toe with them again

>things will never be /comfy/ again

I want windows 98 and XP back, not this web 2. flat bullshit "design"

>tfw you will never play yahoo graffiti on the school computers again

>all this hivemind feels

It's more valuable in shithole countries where mobile data is expensive because you don't depend on internet.

> not really anymore
Elaborate.

Man, XP glossiness was awful as fuck.

Ie your friends use ICQ, so, yes.

What is the difference if everyone communicates via SMS or some IM app? Don't you all end up just communicating on one particular platform anyway? And if you do, then wouldn't it just make more sense to tie that platform back to a piece of hardware that everybody owns rather than a third party application that someone can choose to install or not install? I am sure not everyone uses the app you use in whatever superbly enlightened land you are fortunate enough to inhabit, but they very likely have a fucking phone.

kys

What a waste of trips
no u

It also fucking requires a phone to login. Needing a phone number isn't so bad if you just wanted a replacement for MSN, but that you need the phone every single time you log in is so fucking obnoxious.

Millenial here. Back during the days of MSN Messenger, (and AIM's,) height the only thing in my house I would use to access the internet was the family desktop. It had MSN Messenger on it because my mom used it a lot and I remember getting notifications from it all the time while I was using the computer. Also, my friend was really into AIM and I remember watching him use it on his family's computer.

I never used either of them because I had no interest in digital messaging with people I actually knew besides email, and when I would want to talk to people I knew, I was fine talking to them in person or using the phone.

At least where I live, I would say WhatsApp is becoming moreso the main way to talk to people than Facebook is now. Just saying.