Elon musk btfo

Reminder that Mars One will be the first colony on Mars.

Other urls found in this thread:

mbp.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>he thinks some vaporware nonprofit, who dont even have a plan for funding, let alone technical details as to how their colony is going to work, is going to beat the guy who created the worlds largest online payment service, the first fully electric car company, and space launch company.

ok
okay

To which Elon responded that his rocket-- *boom*

Oh never mind.

Jokes aside, I'm all for a healthy competition...

they have a plan for funding : a tv reality show broadcasted on earth with 32 hours delay

That's the most retarded idea i've ever heard.

What happens when their viewership declines after 3 seasons?
Does everybody on mars die?

...which nobody will watch anymore after a few weeks.

>first colony on Mars
Of deadmeat.

After launch there is literally nothing which happens on earth which would affect the people on mars in any way whatsoever. It is about securing the funding for the mission beforehand.

>Implying they will be alive before arriving to Mars
>Implying the viewership will be high the first two seasons
>Implying they actually know anything about rocket science and can actually manage to anything in LEO
>Implying this isn't just a scam
>Implying people are retarded enough to pay for it
>Implying they're able to compete SpaceX
Implying.

They'll go and land then all die of radiation sickness after a few years.

>living on the surface

Enjoy your cosmic radiation

>there are people who would unironically die for great leader Elon Musk

Send em all as fast as possible, they can all drive Teslas and create a sustainable Earth on Mars!

Yes. When they run out of money after the people are on-route to mars, they will all die. All volunteers get a bomb implanted in their skull. The bombs have radio transmitters which are in constant contact with Mars One's bank. When the account balance of Mars One ever goes negative, the bombs explodes and the volunteers die.

I don't think you have a brain, but i'll try to explain to you something.
Mars does not provide a suitable environment to sustain enough food, energy and resources without any resupply from earth. If the project dies, no more delivery, no more humans on Mars.

How to get the private sector to finance a mars colony:

1. Get all the tax havens in the world to stop letting corporations get away with not paying any taxes whatsoever.
2. create new country on Mars with zero income tax for corporations.
3. requirement for registering a company on Mars: having at least one employee on Mars

Then watch how all the big corporations launch their people to mars, because it's still cheaper than paying taxes.

In a few years Mars will be full of colonies.

So space radiation is a thing, but what about the kid? They won't be able to endure it as easily as the adults? WTF is musk doing?

>mfw I remember that book from my childhood.

You don't realize the impact that having people on Mars will have on earth. Everyone will want to know what's going on, everyone will be talking about it, everyone will watch the show until the colony is self-sustainable.
This is actually the less stupid idea for funding they could have come up with.

The idea and marketing on itself is sufficient to assure a big viewership. Every single human on earth will know that people are on Mars. It's marketing win in our society today.

Cheap domes and bad air.

you overestimate the attention span of the average person.

We have people living in space right now (the ISS), but nobody gives a fuck.
The daily goings-ons in space are pretty mundane to watch.

The reality-tv format might make it a little more interesting, but there's only so much "today i'm gardening potatoes and getting a blood test" vlog style tv a person can take.

>This is literally the best idea for funding they could have come up with.
FTFY. Also, Musk won against Capitalism.

>Elon Musk's rockets explode
>Mars One has no funding

Hmm

>Mars One has no rockets

:0)

actually, if wikipedia is to believed, mars one's proposed rocket is SpaceX's Falcon 9 lmao

>until the colony is self-sustainable

It would have to be self-sustainable at the start. Periodically shipping supplies to Mars to keep the colonists alive isn't viable.

S
E
L
F
- S U S T A I N I N G

If you would be familiar with Mars One you would know that they plan to have the colony be completely self-sustained.

That's likely not possible, but it's not even the worst flaw in their plan.

How's private space exploration and colonization anything but pure capitalism?

>We have people living in space right now (the ISS), but nobody gives a fuck.

Yes but that's not at all the same idea as human living on Mars. Those guys on ISS are scientist and shit, normal people don't really care about that.
But regular people on Mars ? That talks to people, because they can project themselve. They too can be a human on Mars after a few season when they'll send more people.

>That's likely not possible
It would be at tremendous effort and expense, at least until the machinery starts to fail and we get to watch them all either suffocate or eat each other.

I know, that's why it's a win-win.

Btw: Space-X denies that they have any business arrangements whatsoever with Mars One. Even Musk thinks the plan is crazy.

Have they said how they'd cope with the less gravity? Just exercise machines every day?

Actually we know nothing about how humans react to lower-than-normal gravity. We know how people deal with long-term exposure to 1g and zero-g. But the longest humans ever got exposed to low-g were the moon landings. The longest was just 3 days.

There is simply not enough data to tell how much of a problem living in mars gravity will be.

Since humans can handle 0g, their is no obvious reason they wouldn't be able to sustain muh life is meaningless anyway

>Since humans can handle 0g, their is no obvious reason they wouldn't be able to sustain

This.

Genius.

>Convince all tax haven countries to stop and only let us be a tax haven country
Brilliant :^)

Mars' surface gravity is a little over 1/3rd g. There's enough gravity there that I see it being entirely possible and viable to use some locally acquired materials (rocks and/or soil sealed in pouches and the like) to create a sort of "gravity suit" to keep the structural stress our skeletal and to a lesser extent muscular systems are under similar to what is experienced here on earth.

It wont be the same, sure, but it will certainly be better than 0G.

>32 hours delay
Does it really take that long to transmit signals?

Thing is though it's never been tested under those conditions, and if it fucks up then there will only be minimal medical facilities to deal with it.

>tfw stuck on a desert planet in a rigged up wheelchair

No, at closest approach its only something like 3 minutes, at furthest (when its on the other side of the sun), its a little over 20 minutes.
Hell, sending a signal out to Pluto and back takes at most 10 hours.

Bones only really degrade while experiencing significant periods of 0g, because Earth's gravity is not putting them under the stress required to maintain their strength, and even then we're not stupid enough to let them completely degrade, which is why the ISS has exercise equipment on board.
If anything, muscle degradation is going to be the bigger threat than anything done to the skeletal system.

There is no such thing as a self-sustainable Mars colony. At least in a long-term sense (more than a few years). Even if you plan ahead and bring enough spare parts to fix everything two or three times over you'd still run into issues where you need something that does not physically exist there. When you run out of something simple like bolts/washers/nuts for instance you can't just run down to Ace Hardware on Mars and purchase new ones. Nor would you have the manufacturing capability to make them as that would require machinery/resources that are too heavy for current theoretical space faring ships.

We are not even getting into complex sustainability issues like Food and Water. Contrary to some more recent Hollywood movies, you can't just defecate in the Martian soil and start growing crops.

>We are not even getting into complex sustainability issues like Food and Water. Contrary to some more recent Hollywood movies, you can't just defecate in the Martian soil and start growing crops.

???

Solution: build a Wal-Mart on mars.

I have no experience or education on this topic. However, just a stupid question why don't they start with the Moon first? It's a hell of a lot closer and more feasible/cheaper in terms of resupply etc...

>However, just a stupid question why don't they start with the Moon first?
cause this is all just a marketing/PR gimmick

Nope.

because their is no water on the moon, and the gravity is weaker.

>falling for Musk's PR campaigns to make him look like the next steve jobs
good goy

In the martian movie the guy opens everyones shit bags and uses it as fertilizer

If the technology advanced far enough, having a 3d printer and really strong (once hardened or activated) plastic could be a viable solution.

Of course it wouldn't last forever either

it's in case someone die

what is evolution ?
Of course there's going to be effects on the human body on Mars. In the far future Earth Humans and Mars Humans will have visible differences in biology.

What book? If its got the space fleas, I've been lookin for it for years.

Also Mars has a thin atmosphere. it's mostly CO2, which means you can compress it and use it to grow plants which then generate oxygen and food.

Reminder that Amber will skin this retard just like she did with Johnny

That is, of course, assuming that the humans better suited to mars actually would have more kids than those who don't. We're kinda crazy as a species though since we try to keep everyone alive and put social pressure on pretty much everyone to have kids.

there's no water on the moon and no atmosphere. The plan on the moon will be making structures where people can live under.

On Mars there's water and a atmosphere, a lot of atmosphere building gaz are trap on ice. The plan on mars is to make it so people can breath martian air someday.

So Mars is a better choice.

Wasting water in the desert for muh vegetables is a main issue aside air pressure and weak sun light. Musk is good to ride on the current memes (electric car, autopilot, spacex).
When i told about the heavy difficulties about the Mars mission to a random dude, he fought back with Antarctic missions as they are sustainable (somewhat). Sadly he couldn't see the heavy differences.

Not necessary since if they can't adapt they'll break bones every other day and won't have sex that much.

>he fought back with Antarctic missions as they are sustainable (somewhat). Sadly he couldn't see the heavy differences.
People don't want to give up on their meme idols, discrediting their idol is like insulting them, they feel it's part of them.

There's a CHANCE of success but it will be impossible to sustain a colony without creating a manufacturing facility on mars which can produce spare parts and replacements for EVERYTHING they use.

How is the atmospheric pressure on Mars anyway? Is it possible to walk on the surface with enough insulating clothing and an oxygen mask or do you need a suit at all times?

0.6%

>Is it possible to walk on the surface with enough insulating clothing and an oxygen mask or do you need a suit at all times?
solar radiation would kill you

>be future man
>year 9016
>forced to apologize to aliens for enslaving them 400 years earlier
>they constantly point their tentacles at us, telling us to check our human privilege
>some humans inject stem sells and shit to become trans species
>Cred Forums faps to them
Someone screenshot this and save the picture on a flash drive. In a few thousand years archaeologists will dig it up and see that we weren't so stupid after all.

I think its pretty fucking obvious they will all start dying from the low gravity and radiation poisoning after a few years even if the mission is a success.

They are doing it so we can start to deal with these issues, the first group will pretty much ave a 99.9% fatality rate.

That's a pointless endeavor, Mars has no magnetic field. Even if you make an atmosphere by melting the polar ice, it will just get ripped away by the solar wind; I mean unless you build some kind of shielding system around the planet in space, which is kind of beyond our tech level for another couple of centuries.

Oof, that's rough, guess you'd need a suit. What's the lowest pressure where a human can survive for extended periods of time? 50%? I know the top of Mt. Everest is ~33% and even there, humans have trouble.

fucking kek

>trans species

Don't give them ideas, user. Furries are bad enough.

Transmetropolitan already did it.

>Post op masectomy dyke with a purse.
They just make degenerate comics for any fetish these days.

It's Spider Jerusalem, you wouldn't understand it.

can manking breed outside earth?

I'm not into that kinky shit.
I read real books.

Are you gay?

>Wasting water in the desert for muh vegetables

This, exactly this. Even modern hydroponics uses way more water than what would be sustainable on Mars.

This is not the sort of thing where competition benefits anyone. If anything, they should collaborate.

>That's a pointless endeavor, Mars has no magnetic field
Do you know how magnetic field works ? I don't think you do. Of course Mars has no magnetic field because the atmosphere is so thin and doesn't have the proper elements.

Nobody has ever tried. So far NASA didn't have the balls to send a pregnant woman to space and see if it works. Standard procedure for the case that a female astronaut is pregnant on the ISS is sending her back to earth ASAP.

Life has a 100% fatality rate.

Reminder that they can´t even get a rocket into space

i´d agree on this small scale
but damn i wish we had Russia or China racing to mars
that´s the competition we´d need like back in the good'ol days

Yah, but what if we can't breed outside earth?
How are we going to colonize other planets then?

Its been years and they have accomplished nothing. Just like everybody said when it was a new thing, its a scam.

>Attention citizens! The minister of Health and Population Growth has pleasure to annouce that thrid human seed transport will be send from Earth next month. Donor options are available on earth://mbp.com/
>All pairs who decide to raise earthian baby will be granted with doubled benefits.
>Register before 10 Musk 2173 in Mars Breeding Program Bureau.
>Strength, Progress, Unity!

Just with everyting in space exploration We would have to figure out what the problem is and solve it. When it's conception, we would have to use in-vitro fertilization. When it's the pregnancy itself which doesn't work in low-g, we need to look into if we can solve it with drugs, and when that doesn't work we need to invent a working artificial womb. If all fails, we could put the woman in a centrifuge for 9 months to simulate earth gravity.

Even if this is true, the main reason Musk is doing this is for developing a business for spatial colonization. Basically, more cash flow and more people will care about space. Who knows what will we be able to do after this?

This, and also in a funny way we already have reality tv on the space station. It's not popular, but its there for posterity.

ban abortion, ship all babies to mars.

inb4 marsone and spacex team up.

No, the magnetic field is generated by the movement of electrically conductive fluids in the core. The core of Mars is already cooled too much and doesn't have the dynamo to generate a strong magnetic field like the Earth. It actually has one, but it's too weak to oppose the solar wind.

Considering Capitalism being a ranking where you're able to vote (assuming voting = giving money), the optimal way to climb in ranking (get rich) is to sell anything to the average human being, which possess the majority of the money. Hence preventing any form of progress.

Musk did a revolutionizing job getting the mass implied to space technology.

Congratulations. You have won Most Retarded Post on the internet Today.

Please try again tomorrow. We can use the laugh.

That's in like 4 years they plan to do this. lol fail. Even if they do try it, they will be the first humans to die in space.

That.. might actually work.

>developing a business

That's the thing a lot of people fail to understand about Musk. To him, business is secondary to his vision, a tool he uses to accomplish what he wants to see in the world. He doesn't want money, he wants to save the human race. Look at what he's done: electric cars, solar panels, space travel, and now interplanetary colonization. In pursuit of each of those goals, he's plowed his entire worth into his companies.

He's not in this to get in, make bank, and get out. He's in this to change the world. History will remember him as an ambitious hero who arguably single-handedly saved the human race from extinction and ushered in a new era of human history.

National geographic picture atlas of our universe

Well this exactly what I think. I might have failed to convey my thoughts though.

Basically, I think Musk knows what's up and understand that he needs money to achieve his goal.

>his solar panel company went bankrupt
>his rockets blow up
>his cars kill people while on autopilot
should've spent a bit more of that money to make those things reliable if he actually has a dream that isn't only making more money

underrated

The Challenger blew up too, only it blew up with people aboard it. And Autopilot kills 1/3 fewer people per mile than manual driving does.

>his rockets have blown up as many times as the shuttle did in 25 years of constant reuse
>autopilot still kills you and was hacked by chinks
MIDF pls

Yfw if the axis had won world war two we would be way beyond mars by now

>If your rockets don't explode, you're not inovating enough
NASA be like "wtf reusable rockets". The idea is you don't learn if you don't fail.

>le mars will be colonized meme

We should be focusing on colonizing the moon.

>Those Mars faggots who inevitably show up in your online games with 180,000ms ping

who would want to live on a planet where you have to stay indoors all day? oh wait - neckbeards

and that's on a good day

Agreed, why aren't we on this shit yet? It would be so much easier to conduct operations in space if we actually had a permanent presence on the moon. Escape velocity is way lower, so you can produce your shit on the moon, and then send it up to space much more easily. We could capture asteroids, put them in orbit around the moon, and send the materials down to the lunar factory for use in making materials for building space stations and huge interplanetary vessels.

Lunar Base --> Make Lunar base self sufficient (or as close as possible to self sufficient) --> Capture asteroid(s) --> Send materials to moon factory to make parts --> Build shipyard in Lunar orbit --> Begin work on space colonies --> Begin work on interplanetary colonization vessels

Things we should be thinking about are: better recycling technology (we need to reclaim EVERYTHING, especially water, we can't be constantly reliant on blasting shit up from the Earth until we have space elevators or mass drivers that can cheaply do it), nutrition (soylent is making progress here, I think we'll be fine), radiation protection, and self sustaining oxygen production systems.

Munar base can't be self sustained since their is not resources nor water to exploit.

>1/6 gravity
>238,900 mi away
>tidal locked
>just days a few days to get there
>untouched craters with frozen water
>untouched large metal deposits sitting on the surface
>possible large quantities of helium 3
>if you get fucked you don't have to wait for fucking ever for help that might not even come

Resources and water would be easier to find on the moon than mars.

mars: an uninhabitable rock millions of miles away. Why not just build a colony on top of Mt Everest it's less stupid.

> next steve jobs
listen macfag, I think interplanetary travel will be a lot more impressive than a shoddy chinese phone.

Radiation isn't a big deal. As long as participants are willing to take single-percentage chances of cancer. Which many would still do.