/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/development/25/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/unrar.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Driver_installation
serverfault.com/questions/22414/how-can-i-run-debian-stable-but-install-some-packages-from-testing
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
github.com/linuxmint/mdm
mega.nz/#!vocnTSDR!I4dpkby6Dew3O0ur3BUJEX1ULJDFMX2tLjFfX3-BWKw
185.141.27.68/
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1785015&page=3#29
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/827139/linux/uefi-nvidia-vga-console-complaints-/
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4gwukx/nvidia_drivers_and_high_resolution_tty_possible/
reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/554n83/adding_a_second_hdd/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Music_Player_Daemon/Tips_and_tricks#HTTP_Streaming
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html
github.com/fuchsia-mirror
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia
distrochooser.de/?l=2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression
tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/tmp.html
tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html
tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/chap_04.html
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/regexp.html
github.com/junegunn/fzf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for fedora

I did sudo yum install p7zip
I tried sudo yum install unrar, but that didn't work.
I'm using lxde.

Yes....

third for trisquel

>p7zip
p7zip-rar

I re-read what you said, and now understand what you said. I installed and now it works, thanks.

Sorry, I told you I'm retarded.

I meant "why". If I'm going Debian because stability, I think choosing 2testing" defeats the purpose of the decision.

I've been full time on Xubuntu for the past 4 months. While I'm happy with my switch to linux, I'm getting a bit fed up with some of XFCE's little flaws (crashing on renaming files, issues with moving the primary monitor in multi monitor set ups, etc).

What's a good next step or alternative for XFCE. I've tried Lubuntu/LXDE and I couldn't stand it. I'm also not a fan of Unity, it feels a bit too clunky for me. I'd like something at least as light as XFCE. I'm on a lenovo x220 if that helps.

Any idears?

Famigilia which do I choose? Xf86-video-intel or mesa-libgl?

Do I need to have both or is the first one redundant since Arch comes with mesa-libgl?

yum install unrar didn't work because it's not in the repositories.
I'm not using Fedora, but I think that RPM Fusion thing is where people get their non-free packages from. Either that or COPR.

download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/development/25/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/unrar.html

Bear in mind that your archive manager must also support it (I'm using file-roller and it works).

>unrar
why? what's wrong with p7zip-rar when he already got p7zip?

> Arch comes with mesa-libgl
It doesn't come with that.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Driver_installation

>he fell for the arch meme

I don't know, but none of them are in the official repositories and I can't find p7zip-rar in RPM Fusion.

Well, Im actually not too sure myself if you're right. I took a look at some conversations and I found this

serverfault.com/questions/22414/how-can-i-run-debian-stable-but-install-some-packages-from-testing

does "dnf provides p7zip-rar" show anything?

What's the best desktop distro for a pretty recent and powerful pc?
Daily driver ecc..

wait, there are people who actually use fedora?

>Xubuntu
>ubuntu based

I'm gonna guess that's your actual problem. Try manjaro or fedora or debian instead.

The one I'm using.

the ones everyone always suggests for normies. Mint, fedora. Manjaro. You could be brave and go for arch or void.

Gentoo

>recommending Mint
please leave

no u

>implying Arch isn't a normie distro

Read this: lwn.net/Articles/676664/
inb4 it's all just memes: github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
github.com/linuxmint/mdm

i've tried Arch, Manjaro, Antergos, Kubuntu, Fedora, but i can't find something that i would use as a Windows substitute.
i kinda wanna try OpenPEPE rolling is it any good?

>Feb 21
>quickly fixed

>Windows substitute
You woun't find such a bad OS twice user.

Ignoring the proprietary fact, till Win2k it was pretty cool.

Well, It's hard to tell what you actually want as a "windows substitute".

>yum

why aren't you using dnf? use yum search to find something in your repos

So, is Lo/g/o's dead?

check last thread, some user explained what happend

tl;dr yes

go with MATE

rip my dude, I just got interested in using arch and it seemed perfect for me.

>yum
>install

It's shit and nothing. yaourt doesn't require me to punch in "install"

So fucking glad I'm Manjaro/Arch fag desu

What is mint?

What is Ubuntu?
What is Manjaro?

Well I installed it. But do I need xf86-video-intel?

I don't know about that. Seems lot of works for my skills and I just would like actual and safe packages.

Have the lastest iso (logoslinux-2016.02.27-dual.iso)
But I wouldn't run it outside a VM.
mega.nz/#!vocnTSDR!I4dpkby6Dew3O0ur3BUJEX1ULJDFMX2tLjFfX3-BWKw

Are you talking about a DE? Try MATE.

>i just got interested in using this distribution
>but i wanted to use this other distribution

You're an idiot.

Check the top of the Wiki page.

this is a small vidya games question

How do I create a folder in my root directory so I could put games there? My whole root folder is my SSD and I want specific games to be on the SSD.

I realize that I am probably retarded for making my whole SSD the root directory.

No that will be my next problem kek, i'm talking about a secure and reliable distro that will not fuck things up at random.

sudo mkdir /path/to/videogaymes

>how do i create a folder in my root directory
sudo mkdir

why dont you just put your games in ~/Games

>uppercase names
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My whole /home/ is my 2tb hdd
My whole / is my ssd

When I make the directory, steam doesn't want to write to it because it doesn't have permission. I tried to chmod with sudo but it still gave the folder root read/write permissions.

try using /usr/games/ or make a folder in /media
I have my steam pointing to /media/steam/

So all the people who meme about Arch just boils down to PEBKAC, got it

exact commands im running:
sudo chmod 755 -R /media/steam
sudo chmod 755 /media/steam

folder permissions are still root, this is fucking annoying

>Arch is the only distro with rolling release that's worth using but Arch elitists shit themselves if you use Arch anywhere to install it

Why doesn't anyone else make a bleeding edge distro worth using so I don't have to be associated with these people

Besides all those already out there?

I think you need 775 or 777
Steam probably needs execute permission as well

Why not void? I like how it works. Maybe lacks some packages, I don't know, since never got that problem, but it is did the same way Arch is.

777 worked
thanks desu

Great!
Glad I could help you.

Those are not worth using, yes

Winfag student here. I'm going to be taking C, C++, and Assembly classes over the next two semesters. What do I gain by switching to Linux Cred Forums?

You won't be laughed at by everyone in your class. You might actually enjoy learning it.

Alright, how about "what do I gain besides not being laughed at by apex-nerds and general linux knowledge?" Not that I don't think it will come in handy, but from the sound of it you guys think Linux is actually better for developers.

>first day of intro to C++
>everyone has wangblows, only i have linux
>no DE, just i3 and emacs in terminal for programming
>after class girl asks me if im a hacker

jelly of your school user, mine is filled with plebs using win10 unironically and macshit

intelligent people with taste

Going to a school that's not filled with autists is a bad thing?

If you have to ask "is it worth learning X", you're not going to make it.

I have a 3.8 so I'll be fine. Thanks for your concern though.

It's not a matter of grades, it's a matter of interest.

I didn't ask Windows and GNOME to popularize capitalized home folders.

It's pretty tough to have the former without the latter. I'm very good at and interested in the subject matter. I only ask because I never see anyone on campus running Linux, including professors who mostly use macs. Whereas here I read other engineering students school have a lot of Linux machines. Just curious.

>What do I gain by switching to Linux Cred Forums?
That entirely depends on what tools you need. You should talk with your professors instead of asking Cred Forums. The majority of what you get here, even in /fglt/ is going to be FUD and spam, as you are already aware.

>Fedora is so anal about FOSS, yet it comes with proprietary firmware
>Debian comes with 100% FOSS, but can easily utilize "unofficial" proprietary software (including firmware)

This is why I prefer Debian to Fedora, even though Fedora has some nice polish over Debian.

Can I boot into a graphical environment without de but with a wm like ratpoison

yes, you just need to tell X which wm you want to use, you do it by editing your xinitrc

basically a simple "exec ratpoison" should do the job

trips of truth

Mmh thanks hope I get it to work

>>> service ssh restart
stop: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.74" (uid=1000 pid=7638 comm="stop ssh ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Stop" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")
start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.75" (uid=1000 pid=7635 comm="start ssh ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")

WHAT THE FUCK

what's the best distro for the MATE de?
Ubuntu Openpepe or Mint

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

Is Debian Testing stable enough to use as a desktop daily driver?

I was thinking it'd be best to stick with stable, but I want to be able to use Budgie as my DE, and it seems like trying to get that to work in stable while it's only in the unstable and testing branches might be a bit of a mess.

I added a hdd to fedora using /etc/fstab:
UUID=c0d188c0-3c3a-4d4d-bf89-412854a894f7 /home/myName/more ext4 defaults 0 2

And now when I boot up, what originally was just two options:
Fedora bunchofnumbersandjunk 24
Fedora rescueblahlbah 24

is now
Fedora bunchOfDifferentNumbersAndJunk 24
Fedora bunchOfNumbersAndJunk 24
Fedora rescueblahlbah 24

Should I be concerned?

isn't it systemctl restart ssh now? assuming you are using a mainstream and up to date system.

that's what i did recently for my servers, but never really need to restart sshd anyway so might be in the wrong here.

What?
Where?
Always include as much info as you can no matter if its important or not

I have one little debian server with apache and 256mb ram
Theoretically, how many users could use that without making it run slower?
On every page load it does like 20/25 querys

Use nginx its way better with load,plus its more lightweight and has a lower footprint

It also depends on how many querys per sec,if you are loading static or dynamic content

I have a Thinkpad x220t that I've been running Windows 10 on. I'd prefer Linux but I'm nervous about getting the right drivers for the touchscreen/screen rotation. Any tips for configuring this stuff? Is there a particular distro that will be easier to do it with?
I was gonna just install Ubuntu because it seems easy but it seems like it's gonna have a lot of the downsides that Windows has for me, so I'd rather go with something like Debian.

Well, here is 185.141.27.68/
token is: 8had4r5Ilzv=8de9|c3k3h58;97DNO0Q63>4t9g1-+i4>+(m.}_zr=[9+Y`Q^v3

i shared it on Cred Forums and /gif/
It worked nice, but know is slow as fuck, i saw ram usage is like 100%
(pls no hacking)

Finally got vim configured the way I want it, and I'm moving on to installing the window server.
I installed the nivdia package, since I have a 660Ti GPU, and it mentioned that I should reboot. So I did.
Now the bash has a super large font and is restricted to a square in the middle of the screen with about one-inch margins. What the hell? How do I make it normal again? ;_;

Since there's no backport for it just use testing, it's stable enough.

many people use thinkpads for loonix, you should be fine with any distro.

there are some wikis available to read if you bump into a problem.

Nginx also has a caching feature,reducing load aswell for static content.

Stable enough that if I run a system update it's not going to shit all over itself?

damn stallman had thicc hips when he was young

Is that before X starts? That's normal for nvidia drivers, happens to me also.

>normal for nvidia drivers,
nope

You probably have the boot flag set on the new drive, or your boot loader sees it. I don't think it's a problem.

Are you using UEFI? Check your dmesg for explanation.

Yes, I haven't started X. If it's normal, I don't like it. I'm keeping the nvidia package, but what can I do to make it go back to the way it was before? Also, my other two monitors used to mirror the input on this one, but now they aren't even used.

Actually I misread, what is normal is for it to be in low resolution, what you're describing goes beyond that. My bad.

I recently updated Fedora 24 and now when I try to start either the new version or the old version I just get a black screen with an unmovable cursor after logging in. Same for the "rescue" boot option. I've only been using Fedora for around a month but I've really liked it so far, so I really hope there's a way to fix this.

I am using UEFI, yeah. The dmesg is 850 lines, wew. The lines which mention nvidia say something about the nvidia module tainting the kernel and I'm not sure I appreciate that.
Nvlink Core is being initialized, NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms was loaded, and I think that's it.

Pic related. That black border is some sort of imposed margin.
Has no one had this issue before? I don't go crazy with installing packages, and this has happened to me each time I've installed linux on my desktop.

will fixes for Ubuntu or Arch or whatever also work for Debian? I'm looking at this ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1785015&page=3#29 rn and it seems great but idk if it's the same process with Debian

Usually it has something like
Aug 7 08:03:50 something kernel: [ 2.903362] NVRM:Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
Aug 7 08:03:50 something kernel: [ 2.903364] NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
Aug 7 08:03:50 something kernel: [ 2.903365] NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
Aug 7 08:03:50 something kernel: [ 2.903366] NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
Aug 7 08:03:50 something kernel: [ 2.903366] NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

Using nvidia drivers with UEFI is not supported. From devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/827139/linux/uefi-nvidia-vga-console-complaints-/
>Nvidia only supports a VGA console. Which consequently means native UEFI is not supported, you need to boot in BIOS compatibility mode.

I tried to take a picture but it's pretty bad.
The third option that recently appeared is the first entry, the highlighted one that can't be read because my phone camera is poop.

God damn, I can't believe it's flipped upside down.

The only NVRM message I have is
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 370.28

followed by the date.
Everything works fine once I start up X, but it's annoying that it works like trash with bash like this.

I've been using Antergos for a few days and think it's pretty great. My concern is that it uses systemd. I don't like it, but my system runs fine. Should I switch distros (maybe Manjaro OpenRC), or just keep taking the d?

yeah should be similar enough

reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4gwukx/nvidia_drivers_and_high_resolution_tty_possible/

I bet you don't even know what systemd is.

I tried changing the line
GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

to
GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080x32

and regenerating my grub.cfg file with
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

but nothing happened upon rebooting. Thanks for the link though!

I've read a bit about it, and seen plenty of people talking shit. Sounds like it tries to do too much and ends up shitting itself from time to time.

I'm a Software Engineering master's student and before starting grad school I made the switch to Linux. Mostly for poorfag reasons. I'm 5 months in now and I can safely say that my personal machines are going to stay Linux for a long time. Once you get over the initial 2-week "ugh, this is different" hurdle, it starts to feel WAY more comfy than windows. Once you've gotten good with the terminal, it's just awesome.

Since my main focus is school right now, I don't worry about being able to game on my computer. Outside of that, just about everything else development-wise is either easier or similar in linux.

At the end of the day, school should be your main focus, not the laptop you carry. If you spend too much time looking at your tools and not learning how to expertly use them, you're wasting your time. You can be successful with windows, linux and apple. People have been learning and developing on shittier machines with shittier versions of shittier OSes, you can to.

who here paranoid retard and keep reinstalling operating systems, securing them, then wiping the drive, flushing the bios, then reinstalling for no apparent fucking reason?

Irrelevant.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

should I download antergos or just man up and download arch?

The problem with it is that you have to change distros just to try another init system.

maybe a few years ago.

glad i'm done with that

'I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see git://git.gnu.org/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it (using konqueror, which won't fetch from other sites in such a situation).

I occasionally also browse unrelated sites using IceCat via Tor. Except for rare cases, I do not identify myself to them. I think that is enough to prevent my browsing from being connected with me.'

do you think he browses here?

you are not the only one i recently ran a .sh as root that i didnt really analyze and am getting paranoid about what has it really done so i think im going to wipe and clean install everything again

You forgot the backdoor in your CPU and router.

Actually the things systemd do are perfectly acceptable for a init system. People complain for mainly two reasons:

1. It does much more (and better) than the other inits.
2. It does not stick to the unix philosophy.

I think that to clarify things, people should study what a init is and what are it's functions not compare with the SysV.

Also people should realize that the unix philosophy is one good way of doing things, but there is no evidence that it is the only one.

NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify systemd-notify ""

type this into terminal

are this you senpai
reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/554n83/adding_a_second_hdd/

He came here once and said that there was nothing but inane comments.

This bug was corrected in under one hour.

well that's good!

i think the thing about systemd is creating a shit ton of dependencies it's basically proprietary in concept. oh wait i need systemd to use gnome fucking cucked the freedom philosophy!

To be fair, if you think systemd is bloated and limits your options, then you're probably not the kind of person who would appreciate GNOME anyway.

hey Cred Forums

got a root server with a music collection and 24/7 gbit connection. want to set up a streaming server on it with multibitrate streaming (on-the-fly transcoding) what's the best software to use?
currently using plex but the android app limitations are shit on free, is there an opensource alternative?

It is not really creating a shit ton of dependencies.
It is not proprietary in concept.
GDM requiring systemd is a GDM problem, not systemd's. Also, you can always fork.

arch architect worked for me when i was too lazy to copy paste the install guide.

MPD has built-in streaming now, with on the fly transcoding using either libvorbis or lame.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Music_Player_Daemon/Tips_and_tricks#HTTP_Streaming

I uninstalled the nvidia package and install xf86-video-nouveau instead, and things seem to be going the way I want. Good think I don't plan to game on this guy.
(That's what my Windows 10 partition is for!)

>using proprietary software

Yeah, I'm sorry. I'll let you forgive me if you tell me how to make each of my monitors display a different TTY

So are they doing a nightly recap every night at 10?

teach me about linux text box selection and keyboard movement?

I know that pressing Ctrl+Arrow keys allows me to move around text boxes (like this one inside of Firefox where I'm composing this message in) but that are some other ones?

How do you jump to the beginning of the line? End of line? What about the top or bottom of the text field?

Tips much appreciated!

{,ctrl+}{home,end}

>{,ctrl+}{home,end}
cool! that's beginning/end of text. any idea how to jump to the beginning/end of the line?

A package has to fit these criteria to go from Unstable to Testing:
1. lack of critical bugs, or, at least fewer than the version currently included in Testing
2. at least 10 days spent in Unstable, which is sufficient time to find and report any serious problems
3. successful compilation on all officially supported architectures
4. dependencies that can be satisfied in Testing, or that can at least be moved there together with the package in question

So yeah, it should be functionally stable because major bugs don't typically get through.

HOWEVER, this is the primary issue with Testing, highlighted by the Debian manual:
>Testing has more up-to-date software than Stable, and it breaks less often than Unstable. But when it breaks, it might take a long time for things to get rectified. Sometimes this could be days and it could be months at times. It also does not have permanent security support.

More info here:
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html

everytime I move big chunks of data (like a folder with movies) using ranger or even mv my computer starts stuttering
checking mem/cpu usage they're all fine

how do I troubleshoot this?

Well, it depends. Are you moving the files between two distinct filesystems, or within the same one? What's your origin filesystem, and what's your target filesystem? And what do you mean "stuttering"? If you do I/O while moving a big file, then yeah it should feel sluggish, but the same shouldn't be the case when messing with stuff from RAM.

I'm moving from my desktop to my cheap external HDD
by stuttering I mean like when your computer is about to freeze (mouse/sound start failing, etc)

I've also experienced this a lot, never found a solution after trying different kernel configurations, different schedulers, different filesystems.

Definitely sounds like you're running into an I/O bottleneck due to the scheduler prioritizing the mv, and not the interactive input. My suggestion would be using ionice(1) to manually lower the scheduling priority of the mv command, thus hopefully increasing responsiveness. Just stick ionice -n 7 before your command (7 being the lowest priority and 0 being the highest), it should run on background and be as unobstrusive as possible.
ionice -n 7 mv source_file target_file
Note that ionice can also take PIDs.

So i tried installing Fedora and got this message. Anyone know what i should try?

>use Unity on Ubuntu on a PC with Radeon R9 280X
>windows move off screen after coming back from sleep
>weird red line flicker on top of one of the monitors

>install KDE
>no weird window moving or flicker
>but screen tears when moving windows
>UI lags
>probably due to Radeon's shitty Linux drivers

>install Gnome Shell
>Gnome Shell is shit, but things mostly work
>have to live with this piece of shit DE because the other two are unfunctional with Radeon

>Gnome Shell is shit
fuck you
riced GNOME is pretty comfy

Install Ubuntu, that should fix it.

Looks like init is not running somehow. Google says it could be a corrupted root filesystem, GRUB set up with a wrong root partition, misconfigured SELinux permissions, or anything in-between really. This being a fresh install makes it extra weird. I'd personally just make sure your HDD isn't dying and then attempt to reinstall, but I'm not too sure what's going on here, honestly.

Yeah, its kinda obvious you don't know what you're talking about. You don't get paid by the post, save up for when you really know the answer.

Same error on Xubuntu and Mint Cinnamon

Thanks for the help, running disk checker right now.
Also nice trips.

Also,

>report Unity problem to Ubuntu bug tracker
>not even a reply after 5 months

Uh, I kinda made it clear that I'm not sure what's going on. I have no experience in kernel debugging nor have I ever had to deal with a kernel panic myself, but the error message suggests that something went wrong with setting up PID 1.

>comfy
it's comfy like an old shitbox car.
if you have >4GB or RAM, cinnamon is better in every which way possible.

hmmm

is there a way to capture a whole page from a command line? I know there's a way in OSX... I have it in my bookmarks somewhere.

how do u capture whole pages like that?

shift + f2
screenshot --fullpage .png
It will go to the download folder you have setup in firefox

There are addons, but they just do this command.I mean if you're lazy and want a one button press...

WOW! Thanks bro! Works in FF just fine. I'm guessing Chroem doesn't have that.

I dont use chrome. But i would assume the developer options would include something similar

xwd

last time I tried it in chrome, I had to use a bunch of extensions and none of them worked right.

unfortunately, that doesn't capture the whole page... just what's visible inside of a window. I've used xwd + screenfetch before...

Daily reminder that GNU and Linux are finished.

There's a new game in town.

github.com/fuchsia-mirror

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia

Most of these actually depend on udev and not on systemd itself. Of course, systemd plans on deprecating the standalone udev soon, but still.

xwd -root, learn to man.

systemd USURPED UDEV
Thus everything deps on systemd
dumbfuck

you should learn to read bro because your comprehension is fucking shit.

Only on Arch, Mr. I-Hate-Poettering. A lot of distros ship eudev (either default or as an option) and it works just fine.

>shipping non standard packages from upstream
k

Eudev is just another upstream. Ther kernel itself doesn't care about the name of the init system or of the device manager. "Standard" is relative.

Whats Cred Forums's thoughts on Elementary OS ? Thinking of moving from windows 10 to it cos muh privacy.

after a quick search I noticed that a lot of people have this issue and they all use a different workaround to fix it
I'm just a little girl I don't want to mess with config files

Has anyone been able to use steam on yakkety beta? When I attempt to run it, it starts to run but then disappears (crashes, I guess). Is it just not compatible yet?

That's like saying OS161 or xv6 are going to kill GNU/Linux. Get real, yo.

Are either of those backed by Google?

Check out BFS and BFQ
they work wonders for interactivity on older hardware

Fuchsia will sadly never even get past Linux, good competitor for OpenBSD maybe

>OpenBSD

le retarded fish OS with no funding

someone give me their .Xresources file which removes the scrollbar and has a decent colorscheme

>Fuchsia
Le retarded chromeOS with no softwares

I'm new to the linux world. I've watched documentaries and interviews on FOSS, Linux, GNU, GNU/Linux, Hurd, and Stallman.

I've gotten the impression that Stallman (RMS) is really disappointed that Linus gets all the attention.

What's the appeal of RMS? Is he doing anything beneficial? Is he just salty?

I don't mean to put him down what he did with GNU at the very beginning seemed fantastic and very impact.

Also what's the difference between FOSS, Open Source, Free, etc. How are they different which do you think is better?

I recently purchased a Thinkpad x220 I have a 9cell battery and a 6cell slice battery.

What Linux distro would give me the highest performance and most battery life. Idc if it's hard/annoying to install like arch or something.

Stallman made Linux available to you. He created the free software movement that gave us BSD. Stallman is the one who made us aware of the botnet long before Snowden revelation.

>Whats Cred Forums's thoughts on Elementary OS ? Thinking of moving from windows 10 to it cos muh privacy.
It's great. I run it myself. You shouldn't have many issues.

I'm new here what's this botnet meme?

I appreciate what RMS did. What is he doing now? I don't get all the Linus vs. Stallman drama.

He did his job already. Till this day he spreads botnet awareness among the furthest corners of the world even at his age

Hi, I'm new here. What's the thing I could post in feigned ignorance that would stir up the most shitposts?

I don't know are you all referring to chrome os?

I remember why I hated openSUSE when I used it.
Please tell me nothing bad will happen when I turn off YaST firewall.

>quads
Checked

How to make an application require to be authenticated in order to run?

I'm trying to install steam but I get this message

error: geoclue2: signature from "Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) " is invalid

what should I do?

tlp and some other program which i forget what it is called

Is there an easy way to highlight all greentext in a Cred Forums thread? Simply searching for ">" also gives 2 hits each for every post link (which typically outnumber the greentext lines), regular expressions aren't supported in either lynx's or Firefox's search and downloading the page with wget and then grepping the HTML file like grep ">"\[a-zA-Z\] 56842826 is inconvenient because it's all one line, so grep returns the ENTIRE file and only highlights the start of each greentext; plus the HTML tags are annoying.

> crashing on renaming files
Does that happen reliably? Never experienced that. Also
> not using mv or cp && rm to rename your files

What do you mean? [up] and [down] move the cursor one line up / down, [ctrl]+[right] jumps to the end of the next word, [ctrl]+[left] to the start of the previous word, [home] to the start of the line, [end] to the end of the line, [pgup] and [pgdn] to jump several lines, [ctrl]+[home] to the start of the textbox and [ctrl]+[end] to the end of the textbox. Hold shift with either of those to select everything from current cursor position to the new one.
As far as I can tell none of these are specific to GNU/Linux and depend more on the software -- in firefox this is how it works, in the terminal (at least in xfce4-terminal) only [left], [right], [ctrl]+[left], [ctrl+right], [home] and [end] retain that functionality; [up] and [down] seek through the last-used commands, [pgdn] inserts a tilde character (~) and you scroll the screen with [shift]+[up], [shift]+[down], [shift]+[pgup], [shift]+[pgdn].

Also [shift]+[home] and [shift]+[end] in xfce4-terminal to jump to the top / bottom of the terminal (cursor is always on the last line; this refers to the visible portion of the terminal)

Do you plan to become a developer after college? If yes, you are almost guaranteed to develop on a linux machine.

installed mint on a hp laptop and im having issues with the wireless
i have installed the drivers
it detects the signals but doesn't fully connect
the hard and soft ain't blocked
have ran "sudo service network-manager restart" several times
ideas?

try html2txt, that gets rid of a lot of crap

Anyone?

actually don't do this, I was stupid
better create a new, restricted group and run the program as said group

Without the application gaining root privileges.
I want to make WINE/PlayOnLinux require password or some sort of authentication before running.
In case some autorun malware or zip stack file.
Sorry...
I'm not following.
Do you mean I create a new user?

Take a look at firejail. Usage is piss easy, you just prefix your command.

$ ./malware.sh
becomes to
$ firejail malware.sh

Also: No panic, Windows autorun stuff doesn't work on Linux.

>Also: No panic, Windows autorun stuff doesn't work on Linux.

Well if he runs wine, he makes it work.

hey Cred Forums, I want to try linux but there are so many different linuxes to choose from, but what is the BEST linux?

Gentoo

depends what you're looking for.
distrochooser.de/?l=2

What display manager do you use?
Which one should I install

What is good music production software for GNU/Linux? Something like garageband?

>distrochooser
garbage made by a tech illiterate

>What display manager do you use?
none
>Which one should I install
the one that comes with your DE or none
DM's are pretty much bloat for a single env system

What if I want it for password protection?

Snake oil. Physical access to a machine = access to a machine.

That's what I'm concerned about.
Is there a way to protect the OS from wine running exe/vbs/scr malware without the user approval?
Does firejail wine malware.exe
work?

ardour or LMMS paired with audacity

Windows and it's programs belong into a VM.

nonfree pig disgusting
GNU Linux-libre

I would like a keybind to start my browser in Arch. How would I go about achieving this?

Also, does anyone know where I can find the default i3bar configuration file? I checked the manual but all three proposed paths don't contain the file.

>new
>installs Arch
>logged in as root
jesus christ, when will this arch meme end

Fucking archbabbies i swear, xbindkeys is a thing.
Maybe it is merged in the main config or you still need to create or generate it.
Jokes on you, it's deblobbed.

Noted.
But what about malware disguised as other file extensions?
txt/flv/jpg

Th-thanks for your help user

you can set hotkeys within i3, no need for xbindkeys
that said, using xbindkeys is a better idea, because here you have one hotkey config which is independent of a wm/de/ so when you switch your env, you can always keep your hotkeys

For icons index.theme to change the Inherits do I want the folder name "blah-Blah-blah" of the Name listed that's in it's own index.theme "blah Blah bah".

What do you use to write/burn ISO/IMG to flash drive/SD card?
Other than dd.

Is it possible to create something like a symbolic link but pointing to a program output rather than a static file?

i.e. file contents are created as it is read

UNetbootin

bump for this

To be honest. Linux is as exploitable as Windows or any other software.

That said, nobody writes malware for Linux because people expect Linux users to know what they are doing, so, usually only normies (Windows users) are the target.

That said, to execute code on linux you need the x bit (rwx, read write execute). So, by viewing a jpg with evil code inside it, the image viewer will just "read" it, not "execute" it.

That said, if the image view has a bug that makes it execute code, a image containing such can do bad things.

That said, my advise: Use common sense. That's the only anti malware program you ever need.

That said, for images, true paranoid and autists usually optimize their pictures anyway (which also strips any malicous code away).

>UNetbootin
I thought Cred Forums hated this.
Also does it support img files as well?
I need to burn a custom rom to the sd card for kobo e-reader.

yes, it's called a named pipe or FIFO

mkfifo
to create a named pipe (looks like a file)

looks like a file, acts like a pipe, writes are directed to whoever is reading it, otherwise it will block

cp distro.iso /dev/sdX && sync
DON'T DO THIS

>installed mint
Get rid of mint and learn linux with Ubuntu.
Mint is a badly hacked together distro, so bad that it actually blocks programs from updating so it doesn't fall apart. Ubuntu is bad too (from an ideological view) but the Canonical fag at least know what they are doing.

To your problem: What means "not fully"? Please be more explicit and provide any error/information messages.

>Too many "that said"
I might have been misunderstood.
I'm not talking about maleware that infect linux through wine.
I'm talking about malware that infect windows through wine.
For example if I accidentally downloaded a zip file, that contained a video or what appears to be a video.
But in fact it's a malware.
When trying to run that video through linux video player VLC/mpv it won't compromise the system, No?
Or an exe file that I'd run through WINE?

>&& sync
Why?

preventing loss of loved ones

>I thought Cred Forums hated this.
Must vary day to day. I just copy/pasta the first one from the installgentoo wiki

>mpv v0.20
>--video-unscaled=downscale-big
goodbye feh, I guess now mpv will take over.

I'm already using it as image viewer, music and video player.

mpv init system when?

starts to connect for a couple seconds then just says
"disconnected-you are now offline" at the top
and thats it

>I'm already using it as image viewer
WebP manga when?

Imagemagicks display>feh

>not svg manga
vector would be fucking awesome for mango

Been using it, but it needs animate for gifs and obviously doesn't play webms.

Because this way your changes are actually applied.

Why would it? Use mpv for that. You can also use imagemagick to do screenshots and set a wallpaper.

Neat, thanks. I was aware of named pipes but haven't really used them and wondered if there might be other more fitting solution.

Basically we're migrating some data from plain files into an elaborate database but we also have some essential (through low-throughput) services hard coded and relying on the data being in static plain text files in a specific directory structure.

So I'm trying to whip up something quick to fetch the database data on request and present them as such files.

>svg
A format which should have been allowed at 4kids 100 years ago. Sometimes I don't get their bullshit. Same with webms with sound.

>svg
Why?
WebP are superior in every way.
You need smaller file size for high quality.

Jesus Christ you're right this is horrible
i just kept spam logging into the network and it just worked all of a sudden

And cp won't copy the files?

indeed.

because on topic:
>teach mpv images
>bonus: display tags for music
[media.image]
pause

[extension.bmp]
profile="media.image"

[extension.jpg]
profile="media.image"

[extension.png]
profile="media.image"

[media.loop]
loop-file="inf"

[extension.gif]
profile="media.loop"

[extension.webm]
profile="media.loop"

[media.audio]
display-tags=*

[extension.flac]
profile="media.audio"

[extension.ogg]
profile="media.audio"

[extension.opus]
profile="media.audio"

[extension.mp3]
profile="media.audio"

enjoy

not sure if a named pipe will be suitable for that

it's still a pipe, so it's only good for a stream, it can't be seeked

if the program reads the entire file sequentially, then a named pipe will be ok, otherwise you might need to do something else

did you know that svg files are basically just XML and can be manipulated easily with a text editor to get some neat glitch effects just like with .obj?
Can it scale to infinity with literally no problems? No it can't. Svg is a vector file format, webp is an image format, think before posting.
It will write them to there, don't worry. Just make sure to select the right device and don't specify a partition, lsblk will help.
Remember, sdX, not sdX#

Guys I suck at life, but I'm good at shell scripting. I'd enjoy to write some script if anyone needs one.

Why do You want a vector for image?

>Remember, sdX, not sdX#
Ok.
But won't copy the iso.img as is?

Vectors don't have size limits.
Imagine how beatiful /wg/ could be when people were allowed to upload wallpapers which aren't restricted to a specific size. It would also save a lot of bandwidth.

Because of scalability of filesize, i actually have some of the papes i make as svg in case monitors ever Improve further.
Never tried, but you can, what do you have to lose?

Yup.
It copied it as img.
/dev/sdb/koborom.img

The files are always read in their entirety so it might work.

Noice, that works fine.
wget && html2text 56842826 | grep \>\[^0-9\>/\] if anyone cares.

Thanks Cred Forums for converting the thread link to a >> link, that is obviously exactly what I wanted you to do when I put it IN FUCKING CODE TAGS YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

What's the output like?

Writes all lines with a > meme arrow into stdout.
It's not that neat because obviously it omits the rest of each post (including quotes and non-greentext lines) but if you know someone posted a greentext story in thread xyz you can find it much easier this way.
Just try it out yourself, only takes a second to run. Prepend cd /tmp && so the thread isn't saved into your home folder and clutters shit up.

I want X tot start when I login. Now this works but ONLY when I log in as root. If I log on as non-root it does not do anything. How do I fix this?

Why not pipe it directly like
curl -s | html2text | grep '>[^0-9>].*'

Sure, why not. I'm pretty new and haven't used curl yet.
Any reason why your regexp has a .* at the end? Doesn't that just mean "followed by any character, once or zero times" which is completely redundant?

just added it as attempt to grep the whole greentext

Someone please teach me how to upload a directory to ftp. Can I do it via the command line without installing additional stuff?

I'm a linux newbie.
But anything I save to /tmp/ is automatically removed?
Also what does grep \>\[^0-9\>/\] mean? the regex?

>Mint

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux Mint, is in fact, Ubuntu/Linux Mint, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Ubuntu plus Linux Mint. Linux Mint is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Ubuntu system made useful by Debian.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Ubuntu system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Ubuntu which is widely used today is often called “Linux Mint”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Ubuntu system, developed by Canonical. There really is a Linux Mint, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux Mint is the DE: the implementation of the desktop metaphor made of a bundle of programs running on top of a computer operating system, which share a common graphical user interface (GUI), sometimes described as a graphical shell. The DE is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux Mint is normally used in combination with the Ubuntu operating system: the whole system is basically Ubuntu with Linux Mint added, or Ubuntu/Linux Mint. All the so-called “Linux Mint” desktop environments are really desktop environments of Ubuntu/Linux Mint.

I'm also a newbie.
/tmp is purged when you start your pc the next time, from what I understand.
The regexp is more understandable if put in quotes:
'>[^0-9>/]
The [] specify a group of symbols that the next character must be one of. The ^ means the next character is anything BUT what's listed in the brackets. 0-9 are all numbers, > is another meme arrow and / is a slash.
So basically any line is returned that contains a >, followed by anything that isn't a number, second > or slash (to remove board links).

People will never learn. They will install mint because some tech illiterate blog told them it's the best beginner distro and just like windows. We can't really blame mint users here.

Where do I learn more about this?
I understood that the DownThemAll uses regex for it's filters.

'>[^0-9>/]' rather.
And the rectangle are square brackets [ ].

The regexp matches
> greentext with space
>greentext without space
Sentence that contains > as a character.
echo 'ur a faget' >> fagetfile

The regexp does not match
(> followed by another >, > followed by number)
(> followed by > (2x), > followed by /)
>/bin/cat (> followed by /)

If you only want lines that START with a meme arrow, use '^>[^0-9>/]' (the first ^ specifies that this must be at the start of the line).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression
Would be a start.

I'm sick and tired of Windows 10 and capitalism. Why sell these cheap $350 laptops at Wal-Mart when they can't even keep up with running a web browser and word document at the same time?

What lightweight distributions out there? I used Arch and Ubuntu many years ago but they are both full of autistic dick riders these days.

for /tmp, you can read tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/tmp.html
and if you want to learn more about the directories in linux you can read the guide tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html

there's actually a small guide talking about regex and grep at the same time on tldp. It should give you some basis.
tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/chap_04.html
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/regexp.html

I have a harddrive with debian on it and now I want to install windows on another one. when I choose to boot from my cd/dvd drive it just boots debian. I'm gonna assume this is normal because of grub(desu I don't really know how it works) How do I boot from the cd/dvd drive?

How do I create a package of the things That I've installed?
For pacman anything that's installed is saved in /var/cache/pacman.
Is it the same for other distros?

I just had my XFCE session crash and logged me out.
Where do I read the error log?

Guys. I just discovered fzf and I'm in heaven. It took a while to fully understand it's awsomeness, but now I've integrated into my shell and I don't want to miss it. Its so useless and so wonderfull. If you love the command line like me, please try it. github.com/junegunn/fzf

hello i want to reprogam a bios chip,and I want to know how to do it with linux? I do not want to use the chinese software the chinese will send me

Debian with a lightweight de or a standalone wm. Hugeass repo, free as in freedom by default (though you can add contrib and nonfree if you really need to), nice community. And it is as old as slackware

I have and external HDD automounting to my raspberry pi on boot via an entry in /etc/fstab

If I try to boot without it plugged in it boots into 'emergency mode' and doesn't connect to the network which is really fucking annoying because I have to physically plug a keyboard into it to do anything.

How do I make it boot successfully if the drive isn't available?

What software is giving you grief/isn't open source/doesn't exist?
I want to make something small that helps the community, and preferrably helps myself as well.
I was thinking of a .cue splitter that repairs the cue files, since I think flacon's horrible, and I can't be bothered learning those cli options.

Other ideas are welcome.

Photoshop.
And don't suggest GIMP

Lmms needs support and people.
What are you good in?

Something small senpai.
And can't you wine photoshop/virtualize it?

I'm good in everything and great in nothing.
However, I'm doing a switching year to get into my master's degree but it requires doing something in java. A cue splitter/repair is the best I could come up with, and I can't support an existing program otherwise I wouldn't have to choose.

Long time PS user here that started converting to free software, i really like the combination of gimp, krita and inkscape for my workflow, PS has continually become worse in the last years and adobe started making it a monolith instead of improving all their programs and make them integrate well with each other. with the next major gimp release almost every serious missing feature (true 16bit/32bit colour depth for example) is gone.
the main problem i had at the start was basically baby duck syndrome and not configured shortcuts which was fixed by using single window view and changing keybinds. I would much more prefer people to improve existing tools than add new stuff with few devs.

a) Photoshop
b) Skype

Hey anons, when i change nginx port and root folder, i cant do shit.
when i go to localhost:8080 i get
>pic

>wine photoshop
Never managed to get it to work.
Because of GPU
>VM
Too much of a hassle

Then how about Win32DiskImager?

s/Skype/Spotify/

why is it like this

there's rpm-fusion for non-free stuff
also for free stuff outside the main repository.

that being said,
>who /fedora on desktop and debian on server/ here

pls help. how do i use xrdb on ubuntu, what even is xrdb, why does the font work but not the colors or removing the scrollbar, pls help. pls Cred Forums. pls

>>Then how about Win32DiskImager?
another shitty suggestion if cp and dd exist.

URxvt.color0 : #2B3336
URxvt.color8 : #525751

>cp and dd exist
Both of those are CLI, I meant GUI.

type
man xrdb
in your terminal.

I don't understand

Thanks, so it is installed, but still, why doesn't it work ree

>I don't understand
Try it.

Did you try it? I can't see it.

i changed the first three color lines, is that whwat you meant?

You should copy those lines I posted and try again.

I just got Arch on this machine and my /home mount thinks it's full. `df` says it's 91MB, when fdisk says it's 19G (and it definitely is 19G).

Did I fuck something up?

>Did I fuck something up?
yeah you installed arch

The scrollbar disappeared when I changed * ., the copied lines from you don't stop the urxvt from appearing in black and white, though.

What a strange bug ...

Gnew thread:

Yeah, unallocated space.
And why do you assign 19GB for home?

This sort of thing could possibly happen on a file system that has compression or deduplication. Are you using zfs or btrfs? Or something simpler like ext4?

Using ext4

xrdb is a database of X resources (x resources data base)

xrdb reads those values from a file at startup. applications then read those values from xrdb

xrdb does NOT RE-READ those values automagically. if you change your .Xresources or whatever, the values you will not be updated until you call:
xrdb -merge .Xresources

this is the most common cause of xrdb problems, in particular if you are using a graphical environment, which might fail to call xrdb -merge at login.