LXQt

Is there anyone out there who actually uses LXQt has their preferred desktop environment? Right now i'm using Xfce, but i've tested out LXQt in Virtual Machines and it looks really pretty and lightweight, which I like. I've always wanted to use a Qt desktop but was never a big fan of KDE. For those LXQt users (or former LXQt users if you're out there) why do you use it? What are some benefits of LXQt over other GTK+ based DEs? What are some problems you've had with it? Would you recommend it for daily usage over Xfce, etc.

Used it with kwin. The compositor messed it up regularly.

Has potential. Just needs to mature a bit more and I think it'll replace lxde desu.

How long does it take for software to mature? We've been through three waves of punk rock already.

I would say it probably has another year of development before it can really be a heavy hitter in the de market. As it stands, as neat as it is, no reason to use it over MATE perhaps. Not that people won't have preferences, but the most part it is either gtk Vs QT pick your poison. And of course a few issues here and there that are major enough to bring it down.

I'm interested in its development though. I should give it a spin one of these days.

Wasn't the first stable release of lxqt just released recently?

It will be used in the 16.10 lobotomuntu by default. Of course you can try it now on any *ubuntu.

Did they port PCManFM to QT or is it still using GKT2?

>2016
>Using a desktop environment

pcmanfm and pcmanfm-qt are both maintained.

I'm using the Qt version, although I must say it does lack a couple of things from the Gtk version.

>In the year of our Lord
>wishing it was still pre-1973

Qt a shit!

ew

I'll stay with LXDE. God tier.

Devuan GNU/Linux.

Does it use a hardware accelerated compositor by default/out of the box?

The only reason I use Ubuntu + Unity is because i am lazy af and don't want to waste time configuring a hardware accel compositor. It just works.

You aren't really doing justice for your choice of DE, retard.

look at kde=never

Qt5 is all hardware accelerated baby. Kwin still the.... easiest full-featured (and MAYBE SOME wayland compatible) WM around.

KDE matures in waves, 3 was MAGNIFICENT and honestly later versions of 4 (right before they split for 5) were also really nice. 5.... has not come up to that standard for obvious reasons. 6 will probly be good again. They'll also be winding up for full tablet support assuming there's ever a linux tablet.

Still prefer LXDE

KDE went to shit after 4 really. KDE 3 is the best though.

I will when Lubuntu replaces LXDE

I used it for a bit. It was good.

It's easy to set the look of Qt5 from settings. Maybe in the future they will add Qt4 and GTK+ as well - I used qtconfig and lxappearance for those.

But its not as lightweight as lxde from what I heard. Seriously though, what are the benefits?

I used for a while it had a bunch of bugs

Lubuntu delayed LXQt switch to 17.04

Been using it for a week now after switching out of curiosity. Got really comfy by now

Way too many applications are using GTK atm for me to even consider it desu

doesnt really matter

its a session manager + a panel (and maybe a few other things im not aware of)

It does to me, since every other application I'm using will be GTK while my panel and window decorator, and whatever programs come with the DE, will be in QT. Yes I know you can set QT to match GTK, but it will be an annoying difference.

Except KDE has worse memory usage than Unity. Add to that a messy and ugly UI.

I like that KDE can remember the programs I was running before a logoff/shutdown. for example, I use konsole a lot and, after reboot, it shows the same tabs as before.

how can one do the same in LXQt?

Xfce4 does this also and I feel the same.

Xfce masterrace

What version?

LXQt and Kwin aren't KDE. Kwin is literally just window management, nothing remotely memory intensive BUT it does freeze/crash sometimes. It's newly separate from the whole of kdelibs in version 5, so that'll improve with time.

Kwin seems to have a shitload of bugs...

As of version 5 Kwin and Plasma are two separate projects within KDE so they really recently just reorganized the fuck out of their architecture. Kwin has ohfuck-freeze bugs, but I've never seen a single layout bug, so there's hope for them now as long as you remember one command:
KWIN_EXPLICIT_SYNC=0 kwin_x11 --replace

Perma-workaround. I haven't had a kwin crash in a while though, maybe they're updating some stability into that bitch.

it doesn't crash in my machine, but it keeps freezing some windows. running "kwin --replace" "fixes" the problem... at least for some hours
I'm in kubuntu, though, so I don't know if it's been fixed.

What's kwin?

>Kubuntu
Nearly all freezes and crashes are caused by outdated Qt versions. Kubuntu is since at least one year not recommended for kde.

Kubuntu is not KDE and it is not Ubuntu. Do not use.

well it's been in beta mode for 10 years now. i'll stick with Cinnamon

I would probably use LXQt if it wasn't bugged significantly. A lot of the menus are bugged to shit, and the taskbar is bugged. Also I have reservations about the Qt cucking license. It looks nice though and it's a good project

Been official LXDE for like ~1 year. Not really in the same league as cinnamon either.

I haven't seen any of that stuff, I do miss some of the more advanced taskbar shit from KDE though. The project itself hasn't really gotten itself together but maybe it'll mature.

Qt is 100% Libre. This is old memes.