What's a linux distro for someone who hates every linux distro?

What's a linux distro for someone who hates every linux distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/Debian/ForUbuntuDevelopers)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Actually it's called GNU+Linux

#NotAllLinux

Arch

>hates every linux distro
>doesn't know enough to choose another distro to try

Try me. I bet I've used your favorite distro and have come to hate it. If you can name a distro I haven't tried, I'll try it, then tell you why I hate it.

Wrong, you can have Linux without gnu, look at Alpine.

Why not use arch?

the kernel should be the same in all of them

the only things that are different afaik are package managers, UIs and desktop environments. not really anything to get too excited over.

now if one of them changed the kernel in some fundamental way then you could actually do some shit flinging over which is better.

but they are really only different in superficial ways.

people arguing over distributions are faggots.

Try Sabily

Linux Mint is GOAT. converted me from Win10.

BSD

>Why not use arch?
not suicidal.

Haha :)
Up voted

Using a meme to answer a question doesn't help prove you know anything about Linux

Because I do not want to turn my computer on after an update and find some software I love unable to function because the packager made an oopsie but never bothered to rectify because you can do it yourself with these 3 commands. That's his job, not mine.

inshallah my brother

On one occasion the development of the theme lagged behind the toolkit, forcing me to guess where the X button was. On another occasion Cinnamon had a bug that would cause it to crash on login, forcing you to restart it in order to regain any function, including restarting it. I read that they added a restart button but by that time I had decided that I didn't want to use a distro whose main feature was the DE if its developers couldn't even maintain it.

Use Gentoo

Arch is bad for things that aren't laptops for notetaking and internet browsing.

I installed Gentoo one time. I even had a functional MATE desktop, but I couldn't install any programs because of something I messed up regarding package.use files. I'm not sure why I bothered booting into it to begin with after proving I had installed it.

nothing's perfect but it's still GOAT. just because something caused you trouble for 0.0000001% of the use doesn't mean it's still not the best. everything else is years behind Cinnamon. it's the closest thing to OSX and Win10.

Other DEs still don't work right. After years and years of dev.... that's the real tragedy. And they also look like shit too.

Package use is really simple, it's just optional files and versions of programs the package manager should use, you can read about it on the wiki. 99% of cases what happens is one program wants version 2 of x but you told another program to use version 1. So then everything breaks and you can't use it.

Gentoo is a good operating system if you use it semi-frequently and becomes trivial to use, but not if you only boot into it every couple of weeks since emerge --sync and then doing an update will make a big mess for you to clean. Looking for a new distro after removing Gentoo just a minute ago myself now.

OpenBSD

no seriously

OSX

Slackware.

I'm saying this as somebody who finds most distributions basically acceptable, but hated Slackware, which makes me think it'll be perfect for you. Linux for people who hate Linux.

Gentoo.

Debian with Cinnamon.

I had a FreeBSD manual on my e-reader at one point. Of course since I never read I never found out what the deal was with BSD, but I haven't lost interest. What does OpenBSD offer over FreeBSD, and that over any Linux distro I haven't tried?

Never tried it, but I read that it's very very hard to install unless you pick out hardware specifically for it, in which case I'd rather a Macbook.

Thought about it too. Do you really have to ./configure make make install every package you use?

I had a specific reason I didn't like Debian but I had forgotten it. I was going to install it again after I figured out how to get around my nonfree wifi card.

What's up with that Snoop Dogg profile picture? Looks good, just curious.

OpenBSD is all about security, code correctness, and it has the best developed graphics stack of the BSDs.

OpenBSD is the best BSD for the desktop imo, but it's more geared towards development than anything else though. It's a very simple and straightforward OS, but that's not to say it's easy or will hold your hands at all. Things aren't made arbitrarily complex or difficult for the sake of being complex or difficult. If you are at all familiar with *Nix, then you should be able to learn your way around it very quickly. Once you do learn your way around you will become spoiled to the way OpenBSD does things, and any other OS you may use, you will find yourself missing some aspect or another of OpenBSD. It's designed to give you as much control over your system as possible, without having to jump through hoops for it.

As far as being a server OS goes, it's great for simple, boot and forget servers. It's great for building firewalls and routers. If you need a more complex server setup, ZFS, or enterprise features, FreeBSD is better suited for that. Anywhere you might choose to use Redhat or CentOS, FreeBSD is a great option too.

If you are interested in systems programing, security, or just want to learn how to write C correctly, OpenBSD is an excellent case study for that. If you want to be a great C programmer, emulate the OpenBSD devs' approach to development, and adhere to their standards.

Puppy Linux. Everyone loves Puppy Linux.

Why don't you like Debian?

If you need non-free firmware and/or packages, you can easily add non-free "officially unofficial" repositories

If you think the packages are old, did you try using backports or upgrading to Testing/Unstable?

Why don't you like Fedora?

Perfect for toasters

ubuntu

debian is dank

Source Mage

I am certainly interested. If I had the thinking time and thinking space to focus on learning the differences between the OpenBSD ecosystem and the systemd/linux ecosystem I'll certainly look into it.

I don't like the idea of installing on my computer something labeled "unofficial/nonfree". At least Fedora recognizes declaring firmware blobs irredeemable is unreasonable. I can't remember why I hated Debian, but Fedora on the other hand; if your package isn't "free" or important enough, you have to deal with RPMFusion or have fun with them dependencies.

I don't have any rope or anywhere to hang it.

I actually like how you can pin any app to the launcher and open a file in it by dropping it on the icon, but for the love of god could they please fix the wifi dropping bug?

Isn't this basically CRUX for D&D people? If I didn't like my big graphical applications I'd be interested in it.

Linux Mint with Cinnamon

You all know arch linux is the best linux.

The only reason you're probably not using it is because you can't install it.

Probably because you're all too dumb.

What do you hate about Linux?
>the shitty kernel instrumentation?
>the shitty init system ?
>the lack of a stable modern filesystem?
>not being part of the SysVR4 family of Unix?

The only answer for you is OpenIndiana.

Fuck off CTR we won't install Windows.

>he thinks he's "smart" for being able to read a guide and copy a few commands from a wiki

been awhile since I saw one of those gifs

>I bet I've used your favorite distro
have you used lubuntu + lxqt? I bet you haven't
how about ubuntu + any random wm?
I bet you are a fucking retard who thinks distro == desktop environment

I deeply regret not saving all of them back when people were making them.

>

>

retards in Cred Forums equate "distro" with base system + some de/wm. meanwhile, there are only a few distros out there.

>

this
retards distro hop to try out DEs and default configs
It's hilarious when a retard sees a screenshot of a riced desktop and asks "what distro is this?"

>

>Thought about it too. Do you really have to ./configure make make install every package you use?

There are Slackbuilds, they are bash scripts that build slackware package. After you build it, you install it with installpkg.

Instead of manually downloading slackbuilds from slackbuilds.org you can automate the process by using sbotools.

Also note that you **always** want full install of slackware. It's the only way to be safe from the dependency hell. All slackbuilds assume you have a full slackware install.

>I was only pretending to be retarded xDxd

see btw, sage goes in the options field

You can't make me.

I haven't used slackware since the 90s. So they tried to build a package system and ripped off BSD poorly? Join the rest of who have a working package manager with dependencies.

>You can't make me.
you already did

also, see

Ubuntu

I have to work with Linux so it's not my choice and I don't like it, but Ubuntu makes it bearable. Everything works, hardly any onerous tweaking just to get going and everything you want to do is well documented.

Just use TempleOS

gobolinux

Linux From Scratch.

not that user but

that's the problem. package use is too simple to be able to satisfy package dependency. been using gentoo for a while but still be annoyed by mask and use hell.

gentoo isn't for me.

So true, why are women so narcissistic?

>have you used lubuntu + lxqt? I bet you haven't
I'm considering Lubuntu, isn't it the lightweight non-blotware version of Ubuntu?
Also how good is Lxqt wm? (based on Cpp Qt GUI library?)

Would appreciate telling me about your experience with Lubuntu. (using it for laptop)

Debian

This is a problem I have with most Linux distros on laptops... screen brightness.

I've never once been able to control it.

What he said: OP you sound retarded.
>please tell me what to hate
>please tell me what to like

Like you're an addict for memes and in desperate need of a fix.

>you can have Linux without gnu
tfw it's compile in llvm. The dreams.

The answer is right in the picture. Women are objects, which is why men view women as objects and make them the subject. Also women know they're objects, so they even treat other women and themselves as objects.

Wrong, GNU isn't significant or important enough to have half the name to itself. The name is a technical tragedy, and if you like giving proper credit, an ethical one. It's chosen to promote ganoo and little else.

Arch, is the best because it's minimal and even better than Gentoo. It's starts off as nothing so if you don't like it it's your own fault. Also because of pacman and other reasons.

Sorry, I don't like systemd.

Then uninstall systemd then you moron.

Sorry I don't like pacman.

Try elementary OS.
It looks alot more graphically appealing and coherent than pretty much any other distro and it still is suprisingly light weight.

And since it's based on Ubuntu 15, you pretty much have as much software compatability as you'll get on linux.
I've been using it as my main distro since 0.4 Loki came out and I'm not looking back.

Android also doesn't have GNU

man rm

OpenSUSE

kekd at the pic though

They adopted the "if you don't pay us your deplorable" doctrine before they gained any semblance of competence, therefore I don't know if they actually have.

It's weird. All I have to say.

I like his style.

Xfce comes with a plugin for the system bar for brightness. Otherwise it can take a little work. Use setpci command and/or install xbacklight.

Puppy Linux

Easy Peasy Linux

>>takes an antidepressant for a 'muscle disorder'

Actually, Amitriptyline can be indicated for fibromyalgia

DicksAut4HaramBeeOS

I hate memes.

Gentoo

Linux for people who dont want to use a particular linux distibution.
ftfy

I would totally have tried nexeta but it's dead. Rip.

>Thought about it too. Do you really have to ./configure make make install every package you use?
no. not anymore.

OpenBSD is all about imagining you're secure without having to deal with the "bloat" that comes with actual security measures.
Its main features include: complete lack of MAC, automatic isolation, proper signing and virtualization, and reimplementing linux's security features 10 years after they were brought to linux while claiming they're new and that the OpenBSD devs invented them.

Do you enjoy your browser locking up your computer when watching a youtube video? Do you enjoy the NSA watching you masturbate? Are you autistic? If you answered 'yes' to all of the above, then OpenBSD is for you.

>have old laptop
>get leightweight distro lubuntu
>it's actually heavy

Is Arch the only lightweight distro?

except when you google "open bsd is not secure"

Core plus

>Your connection is not private

>Attackers might be trying to steal your information from openbsd.org (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
heh

Lubuntu, fucker. Alternate install installs best.

Install Gentoo. I shied away from it on laptops because >compiling on a laptop, but it turns out it's no issue even on my 7 years old low-end laptop. Gentoo (and funtoo) is the only usable distro. Shit just doesn't break on gentoo, even though you have access to packages as recent as you want.

Did you fall for the xfce-is-lightweight meme?

>Gentoo (and funtoo) is the only usable distro.
How old are you? 12?

Gentoo.
Now fuck off.

Slackware came before ports

Are you alright, TImmy? Did you hurt your head again? Better go get help before your brain injury becomes fatal!

Mint, Debian or Manjaro

>broken piece of shit
>broken ancient piece of shit
>broken unusable piece of shit
Huh... really makes you think...

D-d-do you hate Fedora?

Everything crashes every 5 seconds on fedora. When approaching a freeze period, many packages are outright removed from the repos, and the rest stay ancient. There aren't anywhere near as many packages as with arch, gentoo or debian in the first place, and there are no good 3rd party repos.

>Linux Mint

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux Mint, is in fact, Ubuntu/Linux Mint, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Ubuntu plus Linux Mint. Linux Mint is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Ubuntu system made useful by Debian.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Ubuntu system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Ubuntu which is widely used today is often called “Linux Mint”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Ubuntu system, developed by Canonical. There really is a Linux Mint, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux Mint is the DE: the implementation of the desktop metaphor made of a bundle of programs running on top of a computer operating system, which share a common graphical user interface (GUI), sometimes described as a graphical shell. The DE is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux Mint is normally used in combination with the Ubuntu operating system: the whole system is basically Ubuntu with Linux Mint added, or Ubuntu/Linux Mint. All the so-called “Linux Mint” desktop environments are really desktop environments of Ubuntu/Linux Mint.

xbacklight -set 1-100

Props for good taste!

"Return..." is one of their best albums.

Me I'm trying out UDE/UWM

True, he is really dope.

BSD

OpenSUSE. It's produced by a well-established corporation with excellent software support and stability. It also includes a lot of tools for system administration that are exclusive to OpenSUSE. You can choose between a rolling version and a stable version. It's probably the most Windows-like out of any distro, so if you hate Linux, you should give it a try.

Biebian Linux.

As the guy in that picture with the meme laptop, I do have fibromyalgia. And yes, my image was bait.

What Linux should I use for a Thinkpad 760e? (from 1995)

NixOS

You answered your own question.

>debian
>ancient
lol

CLI only?

At that point, I wonder what KERNEL is light enough for it, nevermind the wm

Antergos

TempleOS

Not Linux, but I doubt you've used it.

Wizard OS

>I don't like the idea of installing on my computer something labeled "unofficial/nonfree".
Then don't? It's no different than installing nonfree software on every other distro, except that they keep it all in a separate repo, and it's hosted on their website.

It's "unofficial" because it isn't included by default. It's "non-free" because the packages are proprietary to some extent AKA they have non-FOSS licenses.

>At least Fedora recognizes declaring firmware blobs irredeemable is unreasonable.
I don't even understand this sentence. Are you saying that it's better that they force users to use nonfree firmware instead of making it a choice like Debian does?

>I can't remember why I hated Debian
Probably because Debian has few flaws.

>but Fedora on the other hand; if your package isn't "free" or important enough, you have to deal with RPMFusion or have fun with them dependencies
So you want a distro that comes with non-free software by default and doesn't inconvenience you?

Ubuntu is Debian + nonfree shit and preconfigured conveniences
Korora is Fedora + nonfree shit and preconfigured conveniences

> It's 3AM
> Russia unleashes nukes
> The president of the united states is asleep and can't wake up because of all the meds she takes to stay alive
> Can't authorize counter nukes
> America gets wiped out
> Russia wins
Is this the president you want?
Some drugged up old lady that can't even wake up when a terrorist attack happens?

AT LEAST SHE'S NOT A RACIST MANPIG!!
GO WOMEN

>its 3AM
>Donald trump is awake and having a tantrum on twitter
>Someone comments about his post saying he doesn't have the balls.
>"I'll show them" types the nuclear launch codes doesn't expect anything to actually happen.
>The whole world gets wiped out because that's how nuclear war works.

I fixed it for you.

this guy wins.

debian + cinnamon + conky = i like your style

Here your (upvote).

I don't know what's worse, that you do that autistic point by point nitpick type post or that you think Ubuntu has any relation to Debian besides inheriting APT.

>Rio de Janeiro
Go back to 420chan, faggot.
Merda, estou usando a mesma porcaria que você.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHEUHEUEHUEHUEHUEHEUHEUHEUHEUHEUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHEUHEUHEUHEE

This isn't not funny, well not for me.

I just noticed something
>snoop dogg picture
>drizzle

Since this is now a DE thread, what are the pros and cons of cinnamon?

I'm about to build a new PC and I could go for a different distro. Currently on Ubuntu/KDE but KDE does have some weird glitches now and then.

I meant DE, not distro.
I looked at LinuxMint but I probably want to be more upstream and not have to worry about updates and things getting stalled in the pipeline, I've had that problem in the past.

So, how is Ubuntu/Cinnamon looking these days?

> that you do that autistic point by point nitpick type post
It makes it easier to understand the context if you go point by point. I'm just having a discussion and you obviously aren't OP, so fuck off.

>or that you think Ubuntu has any relation to Debian besides inheriting APT.
Ubuntu uses Debian Unstable as a base for each of its new releases. You can easily find multiple sources to confirm this.

Just for you, here's an excerpt from this page (wiki.ubuntu.com/Debian/ForUbuntuDevelopers)
>Ubuntu has a particularly close relationship with Debian. We regularly take updates from Debian, not just at the start of the Ubuntu project, but dynamically. Thus, packages that are newer in Debian are merged or synced in Ubuntu. It would be impossible to manage universe without merging from Debian, since Ubuntu has (and might always have) far less manpower than Debian.

You're both yo-yos. Shut up ya yo-yos.

>Not Linux, but

Then it's not a distro is it?

Well said.

puppyLinux

>someone who hates every linux distro?
Well, if you don't like linux in general i think you should try with other operative systems. For example i don't like windows in general but i feel comfy on linux, if you don't feel comfy on linux try something else.

Try alpine

Try Bedrock.

Biolinux