GNU Emacs

Does GNU Emacs still live up to its status as the tool used by so many coding legends (Stallman, etc)?

I'm learning Python right now (already learned JavaScript before this) and using NotePad++. I've taken a few cracks at Emacs but have had trouble getting it up and running and even when I used it on a friends computer I'm ridiculously slow having to look up everything.

Is a tool like this still worthwhile in this day and age or should I be looking to one of the more slick graphical coding packages?

Other urls found in this thread:

sam.cat-v.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's something I find immensely attractive about this tool used by so many legends that still looks like something right out of the golden age of hard core hackers; the simple text fonts, the 8-bit looking GNU splash screen, etc. This is how coding was meant to be.

Take it easy, it's just a tool.
Emacs is more customizable and you can use it as your daily driver, and THAT is what I like about Emacs.
As an editor I'm just used to vim.

I love vim but I just code small stuff for fun, I'm learning more evryday though. My question is is vim good for big projects? Or is a more graphical approach better?

Vim will last you for a while. Big projects require an IDE though. Or at least something like vscode.

>stallman
>legend
you couldn't come up with a better example?

vim or emacs?

You need and IDE for anything above toy level, so you'd better start with one from the go in order to familiarise yourself.

Let me put it this way: good programmers use their text editor to edit programs, great programmers edit their text editor to edit programs for them.

Richard M. Stallman is a Communist, Senpai.

What you do with an IDE that can't be accomplished faster with a customizable text editor?? I'am asking this because almost everybody I know uses an IDE for the play button.

>!!caUX
>cawks
>cocks
wew

Emacs can do many IDE things, maybe your IDE of choice has better support for some language, but I don't think that's worth giving up emacs for.

With spacemacs you can get an editor than can be set up to perform these tasks with relative ease while enjoying similar keybinds for most languages.

sure thing kike

Yeah I like cock, what about it?

called it
now wrap those cocksucker lips around me

Use sandy or nano.
Emacs - very advanced tool, better learn python without it, later you could use it if you want to.

Nothing, in fact IDE is meme.

How did you go through the captcha?

Stallmans political views are irrelevant. Emacs is a great text editor and IDE. Hell, you can use it as an operating system it's that powerful.

who is this semen demon

stallman is the only person using emacs

But that's wrong. Lots of anons on Cred Forums and many outside of Cred Forums use emacs.

you don't need an ide for "big project", vim works just fine. i'm currently working on a ~200k loc project and most people in our team use vim

>so many coding legends
Why are you talking about Sam?
sam.cat-v.org/

I think the big thing that draws people to IDEs for big projects are visualizing the project structure, automating builds, code completion, compiler warnings, refactoring tools, and visual debugging modes.

Of course you can get all of that stuff set up within vim or emacs but it takes a lot of work, and as much as you can clam that you can keep all of it in your head, humans are a visual species and it speeds up your process to actually see visual reresentations that you can just click on. If you're going to be spending over a thousand hours working on one thing, you don't want the tool to get in the way.

The other thing people don't talk about with CL text editors vs an IDE is that although you can certainly customize vim more and it's definitely a nicer piece of sotware, there isn't much in vim that you NEED to be doing that eclipse can't do. Most IDEs have everything a programmer could ever need packaged with them.

That being said, I use vim a LOT. I don't like most IDEs, but it becomes too difficult to manage a ton of huge projects using text editors. Right now at work I'm convincing people to change our process so that I can use Atom instead of eclipse. Atom is a nice middle ground IMO.

spacemacs

200k loc is nothing.