just a friendly heads up anons

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
youtube.com/watch?v=OLpeX4RRo28
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd-ubuntu-sierra&num=2
privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2015/06/google-chrome-listening-in-to-your-room-shows-the-importance-of-privacy-defense-in-depth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All of this is completely fucking obvious to anyone with a working brain but good luck getting it past the raging systemdicks autists. They dodge arguments like a black man dodges job applications.

Oh never mind all this anons, it's nothing.

What's the best non-systemd distro out there right now?

Slackware has always been good.

OpenBSD is the gold standard now though, but it's even had its problems with infiltrators.

Gentoo

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

youtube.com/watch?v=OLpeX4RRo28

lmao take your tinfoil off and take a shower autistic NEET basement dweller.

Systemd just works. Only an autistic manchild would cry over an init system going popular

Gentoo

Devjuan

Systemd doesn't "just work" it's a giant pile of shit.

It has some configuration files in fucking Javascript you mongrel loser shill.

>systemd just works
hey.... psssst.... user hey.... check this shit out

NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify systemd-notify ""

>It has some configuration files in fucking Javascript
Whatever the fuck it is, it works tinfoil loser.

>nothing happens
Lol BTFO, NEET manchild

>tinfoil loser
Do you think this is an adequate refutation?

It doesn't "just work" it's a giant pile of broken horse shit.

it's about as far from `just works' as anything I've ever used
you used to be able to trust that Debain was and would remain rock solid stable
now, it's completely bugged out and breaking constantly
caring about the security attack space this has opened up is nontrivial and super important
though I wouldn't expect a retard like you to be able to understand
kill yourself faggot
or at least go back to Cred Forums where you belong

>broken
No it's not broken. And that's why all relevant distros use systemd

>systemd
openrc fights for the user

It's quite broken and it is riddled with security flaws and NSA backdoors.

>obvious showstopper bug that any non-retarded programmer could avoid around for literally years
>finally gets patched
>LOLOL BTFO SYSTEMD JUST WERKS YOU NEET
kys

>you used to be able to trust that Debain was and would remain rock solid stable
yeah and they fucking killed that guy to make sure that he wouldn't tattle on the NSA

GNU Shepherd (previously dmd) freedom master race

works on my machine
Other inits don't

Not broken and there is no NSA backdoor there. If you saw one show me.
Yes, that's how bugfixes work, NEET

Eh. Personally I think runit or other daemontools derived stuff is better, but whatever floats your boat.

Is systemd not opensource?

>if you saw one show me
Oh, you're one of THOSE retards, intentionally refusing to understand the first thing about computer security so you can continue to shill your shit.

>Not broken and there is no NSA backdoor there.
Yes it's broken and it has many NSA back doors. It has never been properly audited and therefore any distribution that uses it can be considered unsafe.

what is heartbleed

I love how you change the topic so easily

>broken
No
>has many NSA backdoors
Show me one (ONE), autistic tinfoil hat

You seem to have confidence that you run a bugfree code. Mind sharing what OS and packages you use?

Your mother.
Its opensource (like your mother), go find me a backdoor then shitpost on Cred Forums.

>anime background
>calls someone else a manchild
lmao, faggot

>Gpl licensed, free and open source
>"Just werks"
>Faster boot process
>Eliminates bloat/meme packages

There is NO reason why one should delete systemd from his system. There is nothing systemd can't do what other init systems can.

>Botnet
Source is open, show where

>Not Unix
Neither is linux

>pottering
So what packages did YOU make yesterday?

You shills didn't answer the question.

At least I haven't reached the tinfoil autism stage :^)

Your question got answered here

kys spam shill

>There is nothing systemd can't do what other init systems can.
Systemd is a fat resource hog that doesn't do anything that init didn't do for me, and I could understand and control init using command line tools in the Unix way.

Systemd is horse shit and provides an enormous attack surface.

ATTENTION: THIS IS ANOTHER ANTI-LINUX THREAD BY NSA SHILLS.

Nothing to see her. move along.

Nothing to see here, move along.

>Spam
No. Refute if you can

Not systemd's fault you use a pooorfag hardware but woah

>MUH UNIX
Linux is not Unix. Go fuck off back to OpenBSD memeware

>Attack surface
Any monolithic kernel itself is an attack surface

Nothing to see here, move along.

>refute if you can
So you can ignore it and repost your shitty spam shilling in another thread later? Nope. Fuck off and die.

>you use a pooorfag hardware
poo in loo redhat shill detected

why waste cycles on a complicated init system that does nothing for me?

I like PulseAudio

dat projection tho

it's shit though

>Can't argue
>Cries
Lol not your autism hugbox board, neckbeard

Most people that don't live on NEETbux don't use x86 anyways so no one cares

It's better than alsa

I love how you can literally summon pro-systemd NSA shills by picking at their shitty backdoored software.

Every time you use the term `open source' when you mean `software that respects user freedom', you do the free software movement damage.
Open source is a business model and speaks nothing of user rights.
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

And perhaps more importantly, just because something is free software, does not mean it is not harmful or is secure.
It does however make the confirmation of either of these issues potentially possible, and that is why free software is paramount to security.

Even so, people will always make mistakes and programs will be shipped with errors.
The issue pointed out in the OP is that, whether or not they are intentional, a project as complex and far reaching as Systemd is sure to be full of wholly compromising mistakes.
To trust anything this new, complex, and monolithic, from a security perspective is absolutely retarded.

You are shit

>Systemd is complex
There's certainly some truth in that. Modern computers are complex beasts, and the OS running on it will hence have to be complex too. However, systemd is certainly not more complex than prior implementations of the same components. Much rather, it's simpler, and has less redundancy (see above). Moreover, building a simple OS based on systemd will involve much fewer packages than a traditional Linux did. Fewer packages makes it easier to build your system, gets rid of interdependencies and of much of the different behaviour of every component involved.

>use the term 'open source' when you mean 'software that respects user freedom'
He's not though. He's trying to insinuate that having the source available means backdoors are impossible. An obvious laughable notion, but nonetheless one that has very little to do with software freedom.

But there is no backdoor

Christ, the lies and shilling never stops, does it?

systemd is shit and you can't prove otherwise

it's a huge piece of software that goes against the Unix way of having centralized flat configuration files that are meant to be hand-edited even if produced by a tool

by sticking itself into everything including shit that it has no business touching, it has become a security nightmare

while individual bugs will be fixed as they are exposed, new ones will be included at every revision and in order to be trusted all development would need to halt, and a complete code audit done

even then it's possible that problems in GCC could be used to create invisible exploits, for example, or the xml or javascript parsers that it uses

it has a hundred dependencies and it's always doing some horse shit or another

>it's simpler
no it's literally not

it's a giant hose beast of a mess of programs

init is obviously simpler

see when the systemd shilling is so intense that you just lie, you give the whole game up

>he's not using Gentoo + OpenRC

>Gentoo
gentoo sucks ass though

debian was fine until this horse shit started

slackware is the future

>Much rather, it's simpler, and has less redundancy
>less redundancy
my fucking sides user

what is journald for 500 gil

Slackware is literally the only one of the big old distros remaining that hasn't been compromised. Yet.

>lies
Where?

Any other init is shit and you can't prove otherwise

It's a huge piece of software that doesn't give a fuck about Unix philosophy because you are not using unix anyway

by sticking itself into everything including shit that it has no business touching, it has nothing to do with security

while individual bugs will be fixed as they are exposed, new ones will be included at every revision and in order to be trusted all development would need to halt, and a complete code audit done - just like many other softwares

even then it's possible that problems in GCC could be used to create invisible exploits, for example, or the xml or javascript parsers that it uses - just like many other softwares

>it has a hundred dependencies and it's always doing some horse shit or another
lmao illiterate spotted, it's 69 bins

It is simple

Why not use devuan?

Trying a Gish Gallop eh? I'm on to your tricks.

Yep, it was actually the first Linux I used way back in 1993. I mailed away for the CD-ROM and installed it on my hot 486.

You control the whole mother fucker with Slackware. It evokes a big iron Unix server type mindset toward system administration.

enjoy your pulseaudio, more lennartware will come soon

Pulse audio is comfy. I actually like pulse audio server. Nice technology

Shit, forgot about that. Never mind then. I'll go back to making my own distro.

>Any other init is shit and you can't prove otherwise
i already did
systemd is more complicated, uses more resources, and is more difficult to maintain, impossible by hand

and pretending Linux isn't a type of unix isn't going to get you anywhere you shill

linux is committing suicide, systemd and now 64 bit only will kill it in embedded excepting the phone sphere, and it's not growing on the desktop

you're a shill and it's obvious, you do the same thing every time

it's for queers and isn't serious at all

if you want nice technology look at OS X's audio

>Slackware finally getting systemd
Nice to see they are being developed.

>complicated
See Also Linux is not a type of unix fucking dumb neckbeard

>logo is a stylized fallopean tube / vagina in the shape of a V
what did they mean by this?

You are a lpw life queer but you are still posting this, user

Rolling your own Linux is the ultimate redpill.

I would suggest doing it for laffs once at least.

>Linux is not a type of unix
Two chinese distros are certified unix though.

>C-UX
hehehe

>muh simple config file
>which will be run through muh complicated mess of interlocking services and bullshit processes which I hope will work
>I have no idea how to fix anything if something breaks because muh simplicity

>Too big to be audited
Nice :^)

So why should I uninstall systemd from my desktop? How does it affect me?

Give me one real reason to remove systemd

What package did you audit last week?

There is no reason to remove it if you like the feeling of other men's cocks all up your ass and in your mouth and rubbing the back of your neck.

Otherwise you could follow one of these handy guides:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I fail to believe the NSA would bother wasting their time with systemd when they already have hundreds of viable vectors to get into any Linux machine.

>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
All debunked here 0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

So what's YOUR point, butthurt neckbeard?

You clearly have no idea what "minimalism" or "readability" means in the context of software development.

No offence but I would immediately discount anything else the person who made that attachment had to say.

Nothing was debunked by that faggot, it's just nonsense and that link is flagged by Chrome as having a virus.

I know exactly what minimalism and readibility is.

Suck this you faggot systemd cock suckers:

Actually everything was debunked right there neckbeard.

What's YOUR reasoning to remove systemd as a daily user of a desktop? Go on let's see what YOU have to say to an end user

>Chrome
>Cred Forums
>MUH NSA BOTNET
Vegan syndrome is pretty strong here kek

NSA-related conspiracy theories aside, it always struck me as weird that systemd is literally the only open-source project I know of where the mere mention of it attracts a shitload of shills ready to defend it and insult and berate anyone who even slightly criticizes it.

Not just on Cred Forums, but on any forum/comment section I go to, as soon as systemd is mentioned, the thread devolves into namecalling and calls to behead anyone who insults systemd.

It's kinda weird how systemd has that kind of rabidly evangelical user-base.

You don't see OpenRC users going around screaming how it's the best thing since sliced bread and how everybody who doesn't like it must obviously be a gigantic retard.

Linus to one of systemd's lead devs at Redhat:

"Key, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the problems you cause."

And Linus to the systemd dev's boss at redhat:

"Greg - just for your information, I will *not* be merging any code from Kay into the kernel until this constant pattern is fixed."

The guy who is supposedly an expert had been constantly causing KPs and Linus threatened to revoke him from kernel work ***FOR LIFE*** if he didn't stop it.

Just to be clear there is not a single proof of malicious code, and you guys act like it's an undeniable fact? Come on. As if the NSA would have big trouble inserting their code in the alternative dozens of subsystems.

What do you expect from these illiterate hippies?

>Uses Linux
>M-MUH UNIX PHILOSOPHY

Absolutely 0/10 fucking retards

What's the best systemdfree distro?

>Every time you use the term `open source' when you mean `software that respects user freedom', you do the free software movement damage.
No, I mean software that is open source. Im not talking about it respecting right, Im talking about the source code being publicly available and compiling to the exact same binary as the precompiled version.

Stallman, I love ya.. but sometimes you really need to fuck off with this interjecting stuff.

>NSA-related conspiracy theories aside, it always struck me as weird that systemd is literally the only open-source project I know of where the mere mention of it attracts a shitload of shills ready to defend it and insult and berate anyone who even slightly criticizes it.
>Not just on Cred Forums, but on any forum/comment section I go to, as soon as systemd is mentioned, the thread devolves into namecalling and calls to behead anyone who insults systemd.

This is the most suspicious thing about it, aside from the swiftness of its rise in popularity. It's almost like somebody with a lot of power, money, and influence, has decided to bend all their efforts toward getting this software as widely used as humanly possible.

>It's kinda weird how systemd has that kind of rabidly evangelical user-base.

One wonders how, as it's so new and complicated that there are hardly very many experts, and users seem more often baffled by it than anything. Barely anybody screwed with init as it was, a system that had withstood the test of time for 40+ years and which was understood by any decent Unix admin was suddenly "too complicated" according to the shills that pop up everywhere on cue any time dissent is noted, as you say, on ANY forum.

>You don't see OpenRC users going around screaming how it's the best thing since sliced bread and how everybody who doesn't like it must obviously be a gigantic retard.

You don't see any users of any other project, except maybe Wayland occasionally, shilling AT ALL.

Windows

There is plenty of proof of buggy code, proof of maliciousness is very difficult to obtain. Look at crooked Hillary.

Everything you said here makes perfect sense. Honestly, if at all possible I'd say anything running OpenRC would most likely be better than systemd

Time to man up and go BSD user. If you have a desktop computer there's no excuse, and if you choose FreeBSD you can run ZFS which is just great.

I went back to init because it works fine for my needs.

Enjoy your portsnap vulnerability vegan manbaby

which is worse, the people paid to shill systemd, or the retards so out of touch that they do so of their on volition?

>using portsnap
cvsup master race user

No, you don't. The examples given in that image have nothing to do with minimalism or readability. Literally nothing. You have no idea what you're talking about if you believe otherwise, I'm sorry.

The closest thing is perhaps an argument about the virtues of abstraction, but it's a very weak one.

>what is something that got fixed for being open source
>what is shooting yourself on the foot because you're too retarded to make an argument

Enjoy your shit defaults, user

Hard to say, are there any of the second type?

I maintain they're all Pajeets who never fucking touched a Unix command line in their life and like check boxes and Gnome.

>defaults
>not fully customizing every aspect of the system
you really need to run windows update on your memes user

>>what is something that got fixed for being open source
heartbleed
AFTER A DECADE

Tinker all you want pkg is a fucking piece of shit.

Also BSD has no softwares otherwise it is not secure

And how long the portsnap vulnerability has been out for?

Something worth considering:

Any time there is something posted on the internet critical of systemd, the shills that come out of the woodwork never address any technical issues directly. They are clearly not even familiar with init, let alone its much more complicated "replacement" systemd. At best they can lamely link or copypasta. Does this betray a certain low-dollar shillop? Certainly if they really wished to be taken seriously they could offer better technical banter, shit even their name calling is atrocious and wouldn't even be considered offensive on Reddit.

2 years user.
And it was patched within hours of it being discovered.
You have no idea how security or development or anything works and you should not feel you have any right to even post here.

I miss when Cred Forums understood more and posted less.

>I miss when Cred Forums understood more and posted less.
You're an utter newfag shill and it's obvious to anybody.

>Dumb BSD babby on denial mode

So skip Arch and go ArchBang?

Can I get the shills to stay in this thread and prove my point?

Should the next thread feature better shill bait?

Why use Arch?

>BSD babby
Stay mad, we all know you're a Windows user who is paid to shill systemd from india

>freeBSD

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd-ubuntu-sierra&num=2

Lmao BSD babby is mad

So with the critical vulnerabilities in systemd becoming more serious every time, is there any reason to move from init?

The verdict is in. Shills who can't do system administration tasks the Unix way seem to prefer systemd, probably because of a lack of both intelligence and technical skill.

People who know their heads from their ass and didn't grow up using Windows exclusively see no reason to change to systemd.

Proof that systemd is for cuckolds? Poettering is a furry.

>paid to shill
Don't answer to people who you suspect are paid shills, it's possible that they're paid by the post.

Good point.

I wanna go bleeding edge and break everything and run Windows and whatever other memes I missed. Just wanna.

>a vulnerability in some package makes systemd secure
>a vulnerability in some package makes systemd better than init
I don't follow the shill reasoning here. It's almost the same argument they use for Windows.

Something worth considering:

Any time there is something posted on the internet critical of systemd, the shills that come out of the woodwork never address any technical issues directly. They are clearly not even familiar with init, let alone its much more complicated "replacement" systemd. At best they can lamely link or copypasta. Does this betray a certain low-dollar shillop? Certainly if they really wished to be taken seriously they could offer better technical banter, shit even their name calling is atrocious and wouldn't even be considered offensive on Reddit.

>Source is open, show where
Can't find it when it literally grows a few dozen thousands lines daily

Why on earth are you calling me a shill?
Aren't you the Systemd shill?
If you're actually on the right side of this issue, I ask that you kindly refrain from posting as you're making the rest of us look bad.
That was your plan all along maybe though.

Lennart did nothing wrong

If systemd's good then why'd they have to kill the Debian guy?

Checkmate.

The thing I don't understand is that systemd advocates act as though you're either adopting it or facing starvation.

I've been using OpenRC for over 4 years and no one has ever once concretely explained to me what I'm missing that systemd provides. If anything, it seems like I'd be *losing* options.

So you don't even have a single fucking proof that it's a botnet.

Fucktard

Do you have proof that it isn't?

volunteer guixsd shill here again
the bright beautiful future of the gnu operating system and software freedom is waiting

I don't believe the shills they've hired have the depth of technical knowledge of systemd to actually discuss it.

They are clearly using the same tactics as Windows and Droid shills, just basically impotent mockery.

Make one yourself with LFS.

MacOS

if you've taken that trap, proof should indeed be on you the accuser
but that's retarded and not the issue
the issue is that a big, complex, constantly changing, far reaching, unauditable projects, must be assumed to be riddled with errors and compromised and can in no way be trusted
this is not an argument, it's a statement of fact that can be validated by anyone who knows anything about software security

Nodev detected.

Small pieces of software are audited by contributors every time they want to modify it.

The more people working on it the better audited the software is. The smaller the codebase, the less eyes you need to get more audited.

Systemd is Redhat's way of taking over Linux from Linus. Pure and simple. You don't want to include our code in the kernel? We will just hijack every userland dependency to ensure every Linux system has it anyway. You should be very afraid of systemd.

You prove if some thing is a botnet. Not the other way around. Also the burden of proof is to you.

If I call you a faggot I have to prove it, not that you have to prove you are straight, idiot

Fuck off, I never claimed it was a botnet.

Redhat is the reason Linux still exists

Linus didn't speak out against systemd though, only against some of its developers.
Why Linus, why? You could of prevented this mess.

The 4 first lines redpilled me.

time to move to BSD

I don't know what that means.
Please go back to whatever containment board you escaped from.

The usual code lines/bugs argument.
>implying anyone cares but "scientists" like Tanenbaum

My containment board is Cred Forums and I'm too busy to care of what you don't understand.

Oh... The 2nd is just a meme. :3

Implying you'll BTFO such a trivial point with a gif from whatever garbage anime you watch

privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2015/06/google-chrome-listening-in-to-your-room-shows-the-importance-of-privacy-defense-in-depth/

>implying i would care

>implying I would care too

>now, it's completely bugged out and breaking constantly
What the fuck is unstable on "Debain"? Let me guess, your torrent client or your animu doesn't fucking load? I use Debian every single fucking day for developing software, and not once has it crashed on me, and I've written a whole mess of shit on many different version of Debian.

You know what does break? CentOS. yum update? you might as well play russian roulette with a fully loaded gun while cutting off your dick

I agree with you about systemd creating an attack vector.

>redpilled
or whatever shithole you came from
Also kill yourself.

Ubuntu fag here, if it's really as bad as people say then the community will eventually just develop something better and dump systemd. If it's not so bad, then please stfu.

Can you properly reply to proper posts, you dumbass motherfucker?

No, can you?

Gentoo

>implying gentoo isn't full of nsa backdoors

I like you.
You're a childish faggot.
You post was less necessary than even this one.

It's important to keep issues separate:
- systemd may have problems but these are not software freedom problems since it is licensed under the LGPL
- the LGPL v2.1 may have problems but it is considered a legitimate free software license by the FSF
- some distros may have problems but it has never had an obligation not to integrate a specific free software component on account of issues that don't relate to software freedom (as defined by the FSF)

Integrating systemd into linux may be a technical mistake (or it may not) but it is not immoral or against free software own ethics/rules for conduct.

>people are this stupid

I swear, is this thread full of shills or just a bunch of retards?

The problem is not so much from a usability standpoint. Systemd' scope, size, complexity, commit frequency is the problem.

How can you audit something that is constantly in flux?

The backers of systemd are also suspect, you have poettering that works for Red hat, who's biggest customer is the gonvernment/NSA. Why the sudden push to adopt this so quickly?

Put two and two together you faggot

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind!

Not a single person has claimed it was.
The issue at hand is it being a security risk, either maliciously or accidental.

It's the NSA shills, don't fall for their lies.
Keep the truth alive brother.