Can we all now agree that DirectX 12 was a mistake?

Can we all now agree that DirectX 12 was a mistake?

youtube.com/watch?v=-PK55-kCviA

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/SaschaWillems/Vulkan/blob/master/triangle/triangle.cpp
computerbase.de/2016-09/quantum-break-steam-benchmark/4/#diagramm-frametimes-im-ms-store-auf-dem-i7-6700k
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A game having a trash dx12 backend or nvidia being shit at dx12 doesn't make it bad

First you must understand dx12. DX12 puts more power in the hands of the developers, but also more responsibility.
Long story short, devs are not only coding the game but also coding GPU calls now, which is bad if they're pajeets, but good if they're carmack

Yeah, some things about DX 11 and it's comparative bureaucracy were keeping shit in line somewhat.

So here's a question, how does Vulkan work?

Will DX 12 usher in a new era of really shit PC games?

>The team have stated that they're much more comfortable with DX11
AKA the team have no idea what the fuck they're doing with DX12. If the update from 11 to 12 is anything like OGL to Vulkan I don't blame them either.

>how does Vulkan work?
Similar to DX12.

>tfw I try to learn vulkan and the 'hello world' program is 1000 lines of code

Vulkan works the same way as DX12. It puts all the effort on the developers to do well due to its low level nature.

If they suck at DX12, they'll suck at Vulkan and vice versa.

Oh fuck, well, there's this gen down the shitter.

So Carmack's team is just very good then?

Think things will be better when it's only DX 12/ Vulkan with no DX 11?

It's looking more and more likely I'll hold off a GPU until Volta and Vega with this bollocks.

Is that actually true?

the way it meant to be goyed.

github.com/SaschaWillems/Vulkan/blob/master/triangle/triangle.cpp

>that 30 fps lead on the nvidia card
>those abortion frametimes on the and card at the end of the video

Jesus fucking Christ. Thank god I didn't fall for the 480 meme.

No, only novidya.

Most devs will use middleware (like id tech 6, UE4, and cryengine) and wont have to deal with dx12 or vulkan :)

>Think things will be better when it's only DX 12/ Vulkan with no DX 11?
No. By the sounds of things optimizing is going to be more in the hands of developers now, so once they get to the point where they decide "good enough" that'll be the end of it.
And then Nvidia/AMD will release a new card that won't perform as well as it could because they can't optimize their drivers for the games as effectively as they could with DX11/OpenGL.

>graphics are the same on dx11
So Microsoft forced the DX12 meme so it would be in Windows Store first?

so how many lines does it take to do this on dx11/12? also isn't that printing a triangle?

LOL, it's the other way around for AMD. 50FPS for WinStore version on R9 290X, 30FPS for DX11.
So, no.

/thread

> Pajeets

Why are you such a racist? Don't you ever stop to think that maybe not everyone in Cred Forums is a white neckbeard? It's idiots like you that will get Trump elected.

I apologise for knowing fuck all on this. Yeah the engines would have it coded in wouldn't it? Duh, I didn't think of that. Cry Engine using Vulkan should be interesting.

This is what I've feared, handing control to delopers so they can achieve amazing shit like Doom is an admirable idea, unfortunately having played on PC's for 14 years I don't trust most devs worth shit.

Possibly a non sequitur but it worried me the thing that gave me the most FPS increase in DX MD was not my 1070 but going from 8gb to 16gb of ram.

>DX12/Vulkan/Mantle
>Power in the devs hands
>Most of them are shit

Given that most games are shit, this doesn't surprise me.

oh boy

>get Trump elected.

thats the plan

all this means is that the devs are fucking faggots who would rather shill for Nvidia and didn't work on the superior DX12

Ever work with Indians? I'm sure there's good devs that are Indian, but from my experience they're mostly just gluing frameworks together with zero regard to maintainability. Dirty hacks everywhere with little understanding of what's going on because they just copy pasted from the internet

Get out 'jeet.

For you to state that you have no idea what an API does.

There are good indian programmers, just they're as rare as good white programmers.
But there are many more indian programmers than white ones.

Don't worry boy, this is just for you understanding how that works, and if you want to develop tools for vulkan, etc. A triangle is the basic of any 3D coding. I did OpenGL back in my time and typed something around 1000 lines too. DX will be the same thing, but, it isnt an opensouce API so who develops things in it is Microsoft, the vendors and companies that pays to use that.

While Vulkan matures you will see that it will have gazillions of tools that makes things automatically to you, just like DX does now, and they will keep optimizing it as it evolves.

For now the only game that have full vulkan support in its final form as it is is DOOM and we saw what it did with a fully capable GPU of doing it. We may have to wait a couple years to see its fruitition.

Just remember when DX10 was out and it was suposed to be lighter than DX9 and every game that came out in the beggining was losing 10-20 fps.

Pajeets already in want Trump so less pajeet competition

No, what a retarded thread yet again. An example of a game shoddily made to run on DX12 is just that, an example of poor coding and optimization on the developer's end or alternatively poor driver support doesn't make DX12(or any comparable lower level API) trash.

Why would graphics be any different on a different API?

But this game was built for DX12. That's the original version. Both the first PC version and Xbone version use it. And yet performance was still better once they ported it back to DX11.

It's time to stop memeing and admit DX12 is a failed experiment. It adds nothing and every game using it so far has dropped performance.

>studio developers cant utilize new api eficently (which is why it was made in the first place)
>novidia driver crashes
>game studio backtracked to older api
>game studio declared that the new api game version to be eol and guaranteed to not release any future update/fix for it (you bought it? though jiff, fuck face)
sure, the problem is dx12, not the clueless (and arrogant) game studio. stop supporting idiot companies

And this is why you don't buy amd.

>nvidia gtx 970 dx11 performance is better than the 480 dx12 performance which rabid fan boys keep going on about

Tip top kek.

>Remedy
>creators of Max Payne and Alan Wake
>clueless (and arrogant)

Justify this.

from what i can tell, it seems like nvidia's dx12 performance is the one who's horseshit.

amd doesn't suffer any regressions from dx11 - dx12

computerbase.de/2016-09/quantum-break-steam-benchmark/4/#diagramm-frametimes-im-ms-store-auf-dem-i7-6700k

>tldr
> frame-times are better on DX12
> Nvidia users will prefer the DX11 version

pic related, nvidia has higher frame times under dx12

and under dx11 nvidia and less frame times and amd has more.

dx11 vs dx12 is the opposite for both manufacturers

amd you go dx12
nvidia you stay on antiquated dx11

tldr

nvidia has a regression in dx12 with performance
nvidia has higher frame times in dx12

amd has solid performance in dx12 and lower frame times compared to nvidia and lower frame times compared to dx11
amd offers similar performance in dx11 but suffers from higher frame times

>Alan Wake
jesus christ. a little advice: never mention that game again when you are trying to cause a positive impression
no wonder the max payne series began its downfall after the 1st one, i bet their entire team of devs was either replaced with scrubs or the job was outsourced to pajeets...

Every emulator using dx12 or vulkan so far has superior improved performance