/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

fglt.nl/
linlap.com/
linux-laptop.net/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer#Forks
debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents
askubuntu.com/questions/452556/how-to-set-up-nvidia-optimus-bumblebee-in-14-04
youtube.com/watch?v=ktDpkuEj3X4
youtube.com/watch?v=VcfVoQDefS4
youtube.com/watch?v=ejJ04xE5UQ8
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
wiki.debian.org/MacBook
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration/Examples#Hinted_fonts
tools.kali.org/tools-listing
youtube.com/user/StevesLectures/videos
mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/7811-bash-what-does-12-do/
launchpad.net/oggfix
exhentai.org/g/420233/55c3756d66/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>/fglt/'s website:
>fglt.nl/
>the list still starts at 1
Literally reported this bug months ago.

Formatted the filesystem and it still shows at 91M in df

Need a laptop for GNU/Linux.
With hardware support and all.
But no refurbished ones or thinkpads as I can't get those.
Budget:$300-$400
Thanks (and sorry for the bad post, I lurk most of the time)

What is your favorite stacking window manager/lightweight de?

yeah but no one really cares about it.

How can I play a gif image preview in gtk3 file chooser?

Cred Forums's thoughts on Elementary OS ?

Installing Debian right now:
>The missing firmware files are: rt2870.bin rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
>If you have such media available now insert it, and continue

So I get the firmware realtek package from debians website, have pic related on a usb, and insert it into the computer I'm installing Debian on, hit yes and continue, and I just end up back to this screen saying the firmware is missing.
What am I goofing on?

Use your package manager to install it...

You mean add those files, after I've installed Debian?

Please take 5 minute and learn how linux works

I got a used 2015 15" Acer chromebook for $95, installed GalliumOS (Xubuntu tweaked for chromebook hardware) and it worked perfectly. Touchpad click and scroll work, wifi works, plugging in a wireless logitech mouse works. Then I got a microSD card and microSD-regularSD adapter (this lets the whole thing be smaller than a regular SD card so that it is completely hidden in the laptop's SD card slot) for $25.

Boom, handly little ubuntu netbook with tons of memory for $125. Perfect for schoolwork/emails while out and about.

Sorry, I'm just only familiar with a package manager in the context in terminal, such as yum and apt-get. I'm doing the graphical install of Debian, and am not sure how to use the package manager at this point as my only options are "no", "yes", and "continue."

why would anyone ever use a filepicker instead of a file manager?

If you don't need network during the installation just hit continue. After the install copy these files to /lib/firmware

continue with ethernet

What's the difference between mplayer1, mplayer2, and mpv?

▲ ▲
testing

okay distro

linlap.com/
linux-laptop.net/

either mwm/vtwm for window manager, or CDE/FVWM for de.

fluxbox i pretty good.

FVWM2 was a massive pain in the ass to deal with last time I tried to rice it.

I don't use it myself, I use Ratpoison, but as of stacking wm FVWM has the most features, but you are right with saying is a pain to configure.

mplayer is the original player, and then mplayer2 and mpv are forks.

I could just paste the wikipedia article, here read this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPlayer#Forks

▲ ▲

If anyone has an FTP server do tell, I might upload video tutorials and videogames for GNU/Linux I have.

Anyone using Apricity? Is it just a meme?

So I asked this same question in the last thread, but here we go. I tried booting a live ISO of Fedora on my PC and got this error, see pic. I have no idea what to do, any help would ve appreciated.

Specs are FX6300, GTX 970 and 16gigs of memory if that helps

Maybe if you asked a question without using "meme" as an universal word, people would give you serious answers.

which de goes best with arch?
i need something light, i got only 4 gigs of ram

There is no "DE goes best with distribution". Put that stupid way of thinking out of your head. You and everyone else who is going to ask that question again, again and again.

which de goes best with arch?
i need something light, i got only 4 gigs of ram

>4 gigs of ram
This is not windows, anything will do.

Is Plasma the comfiest DE? Looks great out of the box, the only ricing you need to do is change the colors of it

How do i disable sound i get when i hit backspace?
Like error sound

Mute your PC speaker or blacklist the pcspkr module

>blacklist the pcspkr module
ok, one more thing
When i have few terminal tabls open, and when i try to click on one it switches tabs but it acts also like i grabbed terminal, and i can move it. What that could be?
>i never had something like that, this is fresh installed xfce

Which one is lighter deepin or xfce?

anybody know a simple web browser that is keyboard based?

I'm sorry that people were being rude and stupid to you.

You don't want the exact file itself, you want the whole debian package. What you do is
1. search for those files on this page:
debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents
2. download the .deb file which is found on the bottom of the package's page (usually says "all" for all architectures)
3A. put that .deb file in the root of a USB or
3B. alternatively put the file in the installation USB under the /firmware directory

Idk why Debian doesn't make that part more explicit and user-friendly. I only know this because someone told me from one of these threads. But once you know, it's pretty easy.

this

Check out ftp://joelixny.ddns.net/
IRC: #Cred Forumsftp on rizon

hey Cred Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

The one I'm using

Can you change the DPI scaling in Plasma to go below 1? Everything is fuckhueg on my tiny-ass resolution laptop

you'd probably be best off with a Debian netinst

how lightweight do you need to go?
most of the "weight" can probably be cut off by installing a lightweight DE or WM.
Unless you're on a real shitmachine or some retro hardware, the distro shouldn't matter much beyond that.

hey Cred Forums - I'm mucking around with centos 5.3. I'd like to put together a script that can recursively find a set of folders and copy their contents to another folder... The list of folders I want to copy is in a text file... seperated by a carriage return... Pretty sure I need to use for loops. I'm just having trouble finding where to start.

What package holds the keybindings? I used to run KDE but I switched to Xmonad and all the keybindings disappeared. When I go back to KDE they're all back. What application is KDE starting that has them?

I COULD set them through xmonad.hs but that's an obscene amount of work.

Use while to read lines from a file, like
while read line; do
cp "$line" /tmp
done < file-to-read.txt

which would copy the file one each line to /tmp.

i remember when /FLT/ first started. when did you tack on the g. I've been stranded in Cred Forums for months without coming out

roughly a year ago.

my god i've been out longer than i thought

Xfce

free -m
is this normal
>pic

>rebuild flashdrive/dvd
>try other optical drive/usb-plug
>try other version

It's literally just Arch + Gnome with an installer, there's nothing more. Every feature of the OS is just programs that you can install in any other distro.

Hint: You almost always want to use read -r instead of plain read, make it a habit.

Arch with an installer makes you look uncool amoung the cool kids who did it without installer. It you like to be with the cool kids, stay away from distros with installers.

compiled my fist custom kernel some days ago (on ubuntu), can I play with the cool kids too?

you either setup all of the keybindings or you download a xmonad.hs setup of someone

I thought it would be easier to understand without it. Rather he posts back asking what -r does.

I also completely skipped that you should separate records by \0, not newlines.

Is there any video player that doesn't suck weiner but actually has a GUI or do I have to go full neckbeard mode? VLC is shitting the bed for me

Aaaagh.

Time to hit the proprietary search engine, I guess.

Wash your hands first.

What changes did you make to this alleged custom kernel?

As an aside, what command do I need to run to make the displays switch when I hook my laptop up to the TV?

I use a shell script that someone on Cred Forums gave my last year but that just makes the displays duplicate; I'd prefer to have two separate displays so I can do stuff on both screens.

Here's the script if anyone's curious:
#!/bin/bash
EXTERNAL_OUTPUT="HDMI1"
INTERNAL_OUTPUT="LVDS1"

xrandr | grep $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT | grep " connected "
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto --right-of $INTERNAL_OUTPUT
else
xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT --off
fi

Is there a way to remove the bold text from tabs in firefox?

install stylish
css it away

Arch with Plasma, doesn't get comfier than this, lads

ty, gonna try it out

Thanks a bunch my friend

So lets see I want to add another layer to this... We're all a bit OCD so lets see what you think.

Within the folders that we are searching for are *.tgz files which are archives of patient/DICOM data and I'd like to only 'untar' the most recent copy.

So recursively search for folders who's names are given in a text file... within these folders untar the most recent *.tgz file to another directory.

Typically if I am in one of these directory's I would run a

tar xfvz .tgz -C /someotherdirectory

i've been using ubuntu mate for two months and it was a pretty good experience, anything better out there or should i just stay comfy in my babby first distro?

how does one set up arch without getting crazy?, isn't Antergos pretty much the same shit but without the pain?

but it's not hard to set up arch
make partitions, format, mount, install

What would cause shadow to take 2 minutes on boot up?
It is a single user system

Idk user, maybe connecting to the NSA takes a while? Are you using proprietary drivers?

I'm really tempted to dual boot Windows 7 and Arch/Antergos.

Can anyone outline the benefits for me so I have something straight to look at?

Not that im aware of.
Im using trisquel
Using wayland and nouveau
System is only about a month old

Antergos is an easy way to Arch. Arch is nice with BSD like AUR ports that gives tons of, if not the most third party software supports

>guaranteed replies

all right guys, how do I encrypt my /home/ folder?

at this point, I'd even take FDE if it's easy to do.

I'll be traveling and don't want my shit in the open in case some redguard robs me...

luks
ecrypt

thanks bro. is it easy to convert to one of these methods if you already have linux installed or will I have to start from scratch?

also, of the two, which one have you had luck with?
thanks!

FDE would be alot easier starting over, though i imagine it would be a nightmare compared to just installing fde
luks is all you ever need.

thanks bro. thats what I suspected... I guess I'll have to do a backup and then start from scratch.

If you're gonna do that and you're a spook person, I'd suggest also mounting it as noexec user!

>suggest also mounting it as noexec user!
That's interesting! so what happens to my ~/bin folder? I'd need to move it somewhere else? Also, when I download & compile some shit off github, I can't run it until I place it somewhere else?

what's the benefit of noexec exactly? thanks user!

I just installed Ubuntu with plasma for desktop environment.

Is there a way to have a start menu like windows 8?

Hi guys, linux newbie here. I've recently installed Ubuntu (I'm dual booting with windows) and I'm loving it. The only problem is that for some reason ubuntu drains my battery super fast, I lose like 2% per minute, and that is browsing the web or doing homework. Using windows I don't have this problem, my battery lasts more than 3 hours, even if I'm watching a movie o playing vidya.
I googled the issue and I installed laptop-mode-tools but it didn't change a thing. It sucks because I'm actually considering ditching windows for Ubuntu but I can't go to class with this battery.
Any help would be appreciated.

1) open System Monitor and see what's using your CPU so much. something must be badly configured.

2) if you have a discrete GPU, turn it off and use iGPU.

Why didn't you just install kubuntu or neon?
What does the windows 8 start menu do/look like? Never used windows 8.

Here's a screenshot of the system monitor, everything seems to be fine

>everything seems to be fine
Fine at the moment. But is it fine when you're losing your battery juice? Also, do you have a discrete GPU?

Long term Winfag, trying Linux Mint on old laptop over past week.
I'm building my first computer and, while I like Linux distros, I plan on doing image/video editing, and I'm used to using Photoshop, Sony Vegas/Premiere, etc.
Are the open source Linux alternatives for these programs near as good as the Adobe/Sony versions?

Mint is also what converted me from Win to linux.

ANyway, pic related is what you want.

that screenshot is with my battery unplugged and draining.
Yeah I have a dedicated GPU, how do I disable it? sorry if I'm being a retard

is it possible not to lose my /home if i place it on different partition when i want to change my distro?

Building kernel using makeconfig
It will not let me disable auditing.Is there another setting that hard enables this?

The audio spam locks up the system almost daily

nvidia GPU? if so,

askubuntu.com/questions/452556/how-to-set-up-nvidia-optimus-bumblebee-in-14-04

that solved all my battery issues. Win also uses iGPU for most of the tasks... that's why you're seeing this power disparity.

Which Linux distribution would be the best to run on an old Thinkpad t520 I wish to turn into a server. I want to turn it into a seedbox, plex server, web server, and more potentially.

And then for my other Thinkpad x220 I want to maximize battery life. What would be the most battery efficient distribution and what modifications would I look to do to maximize battery life.

There will be a way but it will be a case of finding out what is enabling it. Don't it tell you when press 'e' or whatever the key is for information? It's been a while since I compiled a kernel but I do remember it can be a pain solving these dependency like issues.

Thank you. I already knew of GIMP and Libre, but not the other programs.

Just some extra security - you never know. Personally I use /media, /var would also make some sense for that kind of thing. I setup group based permissions on each folder I use and then make sure that basically if you could at all possibly obtain some form of data that's harmful from a folder tree, I lock it behind a root password or a group that requires another password.

>is it possible not to lose my /home if i place it on different partition when i want to change my distro?

This is what i do regularly, though I also put the separated /home partition on a completely separate drive for added protection against bad configurations.

One of the benefits I enjoy is rebuilding the distro and have the browsers continue where I left off, tabs and all.

I want to install Debian minimally, but at the very least have GCC available, as well as tar and the rest of build-essentials. What image is the best for this? I just installed Debian minimal thinking that it would be a net install, but it installed a bunch of useless crap, did not use the internet to do it, and left me stranded without GCC or even tar/make/etc.

why not Librecad over Openscad

There is nothing in the help dialog for listing deps or anything, just interacting with the modules states

I didn't knew they existed

I'm looking for something with big button that take the whole screen

very interesting setup! is it described in some wiki or something? I'd like to implement somethign like that but I'm afraid of fucking things up too much.. lol

not my guide... just saved it from Cred Forums few months ago. feel free to edit the pic.

Not that I know of, it's just how my workflow is. I run Debian on a server with that setup and then use the groups/users with Samba to access my files from my other devices in the home, sort of like a local NAS. Because everything is centralized it works well for me but it's all up to the person, just something to consider.

The other thing you could do is mess around with BRTFS snapshotting too.

It should tell you what is enabling it.
Kernel hacking and General would be the places I would look to first. It definitely can be disabled but I don't have a system to look at this for you and find out.

For plasma I think this is the only close option I know of youtube.com/watch?v=ktDpkuEj3X4

Okay I did that, but performance is the same :/

I will install it, thanks!

switch to iGPU. it should say Intel in your status.

fuck yes, it's much better now.
I love you user, I'm going to wipe my win10 partition and never look back

:) glad I could help! enjoy.

I'm going to wipe my hdd to get around the UEFI and install linux.

Wish me luck.

>Background theme
youtube.com/watch?v=VcfVoQDefS4

Oddly enough I talked to someone who is some sort of programmer so knowledgeable and intelligent?

Anyways I kinda ventured into some stuff and he explained linux machines are super SUPER vulnerable. I feel like he just doesn't know about linux or we're all being meme'd?

Also he thought openssh or w/e came enabled as in like port 22 freely opened for anyone to remotely access the machine... So he might just be clueless to open source?

1. OpenSSH server doesn't come with most distros

2. Ports are not defined in the config file by default

3. Server socked/systemd unit is not enabled by default

3. Users/Groups are not defined by default

4. If you have firewall enabled, it'll refuse SSH incoming connection attempt.

The person you talked to hasn't used OpenSSH for more than a week

;_;
youtube.com/watch?v=ejJ04xE5UQ8

FUCK YOU ;_;

Yes I'm aware of this. I actually installed openssh then uncommented it and started the daemon. Ran nmap just to test.

But that was just one of the reason he said linux was insecure as 'everything is enabled from the get go'.

But on to the topic of updated open source or updated windows machine which one can a hacker more easily compromise?

>everything is enabled from the get go
Go and see the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file
>hint:
#everything disabled

Windows

but hacker attacks occurs more by human mistake than by software weakness

You're mistaking me. I'm personally well aware of ssh not being enabled by default on linux machines.

He wasn't.

He had mentioned the idea that linux machines need to be hardened by the user as out of the box they're very exploitable. I'm trying to find out if this is valid?

On that topic,

Why the fuck did they store the heuristics codes on RAM?

Wouldn't SSD be a viable option?

MAC
Many distros come with SELinux or Apparmour enabled.

ram is faster, but the main reason was so that it made power loss a far more critical concern

I think they explained it that the machine needed to be "Alive" and simply putting it onto SSD's would of lost it's memory. Part of finches kill switch in case the wrong people got a hold of the machine simply copying it would render it useless.
>mostly climatic dramatics

>the machine needed to be "Alive"
Ah I get it now.

They couldn't copy a snapshot because it'd take more time to create the image as well.

Yeah, The machine was like a giant live disc without persistence. That's why Samaritan was boxing it in during that scene.

Should I install Linux 16.04?

any good subreddit for ricing linux? ive never been to reddit but desktop threads arent allowed here

I wonder if you guys disagree with me or not on this assessment.

Debian has a really good software repository, everything you want is there. However, all of the software is old.

Fedora has a really poor software repository, you can't even fucking download MPV or VLC on it for fucks sake. However, all of the software it does have is pretty well up-to-date.

You can add sources to repositories to fix this, but I personally feel that adding repositories is a sin and rather disgusting to boot. I imagine this is the reason why you guys are running Arch Linux and Linux Mint, right? How are their repositories?

>Debian has a really good software repository, everything you want is there. However, all of the software is old.
Dropped twice

install squirrel linux

I'm on it right now

Debian stable* and the repos aren't that big, they're missing a lot of stuff that you can find on the AUR and whatnot. Debian unstable is what you want if you want bleeding-edge packages. Don't be afraid of the 'unstable' moniker, it's plenty stable when compared to crashfests like Fedora or Arch.

Mint is like Debian except worse. Don't bother.

Arch is decent, I used it for a few years before settling with debian. The repos are pretty big and the AUR (ports-like user-contributed repo) is sweet. What really killed it for me was the instability. Every other month a pacman -Syu would kill my box and lead to hours of troubleshooting. Eventually I got tired of it, but I guess it was a decent learning experience.

Gentoo is much like Arch, but with source packages which means you get more control and longer install times. It's pretty sweet for a hobbyist.

If you're using Linux for the cool/hobby part, definitely get Arch or Gentoo, it's time-consuming but fun. If you want a reliable, no-nonsense system, I'd recommend Debian or FreeBSD (not Linux but very good).

I'm trying to compile the mali driver in the mainline kernel. Is it enough to move it into the kernel source tree or does more work need to be done? It's supposedly a fairly generic driver from ARM without SoC manufacturer customizations but I don't know.

systemctl stop hats

what are some must haves for a first time GNUlinux user on mint?
like things to make it easier to get things done with

If you don't know exactly what you need, it means you don't really need it.
According to your logic, just install everything from the repository, because all of it might come in useful in certain situations.

hey look an autistic child

who uses wayland instead of xorg? How long until it replaces it? How long until it gets a port of openbox so I can actually use it?

Searx gives less retarded results for tech searches if you set your sources and is free.

oh and the archwiki says:

>Currently Wayland will only work on systems utilizing KMS.

So does that mean that if you use the proprietary nvidia driver you can't use it?

Nvidia will not implement KMS and so you can't use Wayland with Nvidia's driver.

um so wtf? if you use nvidia you're screwed? What about valve and steam? Don't they rely heavily on nvidia? What happens when xorg is not longer developed?

You can use your Nvidia driver with Steam. It just means you can't use KMS with Steam when you do so.

I want to use systemd (user) service files to start mpd and mpdas (the scrobbler). MPD starts fine, but mpdas is giving me an error, the same error you get when it starts with no MPD running.

I specified MPD to start before mpdas in the service file and made mpdas require MPD, but it still fails upon startup. Did I make a mistake in the service files?

MPD service file:
[Unit]
Description=Music Player Daemon
Before=mpdas.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon
LimitRTPRIO=50
LimitRTTIME=infinity

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

mpdas service file:
[Unit]
Description=MPD Scrobbler
After=mpd.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpdas

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

{Comment redacted by a joint effort from the United Nations Internet Safety Association, the Canadian Department of Cybermanagement, the Jewish Internet Monitoring League, and the International Centre For Hate Speech Prevention for violating sections (59-B, 40-CE, 76-R, 22-ST) of the United Nations Internet Terms Of Service Agreement as well as sections (3b, 4c, 5c) of Canadian Bill C-13. Continued violations will result in an immediate seizure of internet access and possible prosecution. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for further information. Remember, a free internet is a safe internet.}

Fuck off

[ Far right policy block ]

Hmm, I installed Noto Sans here and I'm getting Mojibake on non-standard/other language's characters. I tried googling "Noto Sans mojibake", but I couldn't find anything relevant. What am I doing wrong?

how do I get gnome on wayland working in ubuntu? I installed the 'gnome' package but if I run:

gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland

the command executes but nothing happens. No error message or anything.

I used Arch Anywhere, it's just as easy, if not easier than Antergos

you need to have the proper drivers gnome 3.20.1 or higher and then select it in gdm.

what drivers? I'm not using gdm, just launching from a terminal

try it with gdm or learn how gdm does it.
Not nvidias proprietary ones for sure.

What's all this shit about systemd being good or not about?

Learn about it yourself instead of starting flamewars here.

Go see 0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

Reminder to ask for any spyware systemd has and NO ONE will show an actual one

I don't think i have ever seen a claim like that.

Welcome to our most autism thread

autistic* thread ever

2008 Netbook.

I'd like to get it into a "usable" state, just some minor tasks no heavy use.

Not trying to start a distro flamewar, but what distro would be the best to get this into a snappy enough state.

Its got a 32bit processor so I was originally gonna try Elementary OS but that required an older version and it lagged like crazy.

Crunchbang++ is alright but they have managed to break apt and I can't install anything. And there seems to be a lot of stuff I could trim off.

Any suggestions?

I'm making some giveaways in steamgifts because fuck steam keys. I am giving some shitty life advice like if I knew what I am doing with my life, and also recommending Linux.

Which is the go-to website for total newbies that don't know what is "a leenucs"?

By best I mean informative and as noob friendly as possible.

>inb4 man pages.

Nixie pixel's youtube channel

So im in mood to test wayland, are there any good window managers for it?

Thank you. I'll wait for other suggestions and confirmation on this one, just in case you're her.

I guess I'll have to write that playlist youtube-dl script this weekend, after all.

I just threw mint on an original atom and it runs alright. HDD is the bottleneck so a web browser takes 5-10s to start but once in memory the distro is alright.

alright guys. is there a distro that will give me good tablet support out of the box? i have a 2 in 1 and would like auto screen rotation, multi touch support, auto switch to tablet mode etc.

am i asking too much?

Excuse the dumb question, this is sort of related.

Could I just try a distro through a virtual machine, then just dump that shit on my hard drive and use it as a real installation?

So i just wasted two hours of my life in frustration...
fucking samba man, fuck that piece of fucking shitty shit fuck
i was not able to figure out why the fuck wasn't i able to log in into my shares even though i typed my username and password millions of times to make sure i had not typos, adjusters permissions on folders and shit and nothing
and then in some obscure manual somewhere in a fathest shittest darkest corner of google i found out that you actually have to set up a samba password for your account... you use your normal linux user name, but for some fcuking reason not your linux password.. oh no.. that would be to simple and not retarded, we can't have that, you have to set a separate password
FUCKING SAMBA WHAT THE FUCK YOU CUNTS
holy shit i am so frustrated i was literally hitting my keyboard with my fist at times

Running linux atm, so far it sucks balls.

Can't even run steam, have to open it through terminal.

I've used unix/linux since 1996 and I admit that windows and mac are superior. It's sad after all these years, linux can't even do the most simplest of shit.

nvm fixed it ;)

mpdas kept being started before MPD, because using a "simple" service for MPD doesn't work well, since it doesn't report properly when it starts up. One workaround was to add "Restart=always" to mpdas' service, but that seemed dirty.
Fortunately MPD apparently supports systemd's notify-SD API and you can use a "notify" service type and everything is working properly now.

Running a proprietary program isn't simple stuff.

>I've used unix/linux since 1996
>I admit that windows and mac are superior.
>linux can't even do the most simplest of shit.

Me too, bro. I have been using it since the '70s and I can't even find the bash configuration file, even though I have an IQ of 146.

See? I can pretend to be a retard on the internet too.

>you actually have to set up a samba password for your account... you use your normal linux user name, but for some fcuking reason not your linux password.. oh no.. that would be to simple and not retarded, we can't have that, you have to set a separate password

Sorry, but that's an obvious thing and all guides and the documentation would have told you so had you just read it.

While I was using samba, I hated that authentication bullshit and just wanted an anonymous sharing thingy. So I used some shitty, insecure way where you map every user as your own.

You mean compositor.

GNOME's, Kwin, Sway and Weston I guess.

Red pill me on kali. I just set up dual boot on my laptop. What now?

C'mon come the fuck out new AMD GPU drivers

I want to use my 280x for crying out loud

If I want to learn to install different types of linux distros and play with them as in installing drivers, fixing errors etc. what would be the best way to do? I know about partitioning the disk but it seems quite buggy from what I've seen and VM doesn't need drivers and also I have only 2 gb ram so distros like ubuntu wont work.

I would try Debian with Xfce.

Whatever distro you chose, if you don't have 2gb of ram, you won't be able to do anything useful really.

If you want to install things by yourself then Arch and Gentoo should fit the bill.

Btw some Ubuntu variants work decently with 2gb of ram, but the installation is mostly automated.

>installs an operating system
>doesn't know what to do

It means you don't need that operating system. Kill yourself, you pathetic, try-hard poser. But please don't hack the world and me.

This is a friendly thread.
Bullies not welcome.

>If you want to install things by yourself then Arch and Gentoo should fit the bill.
Every core distribution offers a minimal installer. Stop giving shitty and misleading advice.

"Installing drivers" and "fixing things" is the same on every distribution (except for the different package managers). Installing various distributions won't teach you anything, or at least not more than using 1 distribution will. Especially not since I have the feeling that you'll install spin-off distributions, instead of core distributions.

Create a user if you're going to use Kali as daily driver.

>pathetic, try-hard poser
but he's using kali, not arch

I have no sound in arch after a fresh install.
I have Alsa.
When I open AlsaMixer and press F6, I have
>HDA Intel HDMI
>HDA Intel PCH
I select the latter and and run speaker-test -c 2 but alsa is "unable to open slave"

Get rid of Arch user, don't meme yourself.

Why is compiling a kernel module failing complaining about autoconf and some other shit not being present when both files are right there in a subdirectory?

I like arch tho.

>friendly thread
Perhaps I phrased my question incorrectly. I'm in training for network administration, still early on. I heard that kali is designed for network penetration and testing. So upon seeing this thread I thought I might find a nice tutorial on the distro in question.

You autistic fucking retard.

>Which is the go-to website for total newbies that don't know what is "a leenucs"?
>By best I mean informative and as noob friendly as possible.

Any other resources for this aside from
?

I'm going for my first Linux install. I've read the wiki and a few of these threads and it seems like Debian would be my best choice, but Mint seems close. It's going to be dual-booted on an old, early-2008 MacBook Pro (last model before the switch to unibody). Thoughts?

I have already chosen which distros to try. What I asked is how do I install them without fucking up my windows os.
Well, I'm new to this so thank you for that. What I'm going to do is just installing famous distros like debian, arch from scratch which I have done already but want to be able to do it without looking from videos and be able to fix most of the problems. Its nothing special at all but I want to be able to do it on the spot.

This

Also, maybe if you asked a question without posting a nazi symbol as a meme, people would give you serious answers.

if you're going to use debian it's probably a good idea to use this as a reference

wiki.debian.org/MacBook

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>nazi symbol
Where?

That looks perfect! Thanks!

>See red in the tab
>Click it and examine the thread expecting an answer.
>No answer.
>Just an overused stale meme.

Input appreciated.

Is there any live distro with Gnome 3.22 at the moment?

>stale
it's pronounce stallman you retard

openSUSE Tumbleweed and Fedora Rawhide are using it.

Allow me to interject for a moment.

Stallman is stale. STALE!

>tutorial on the distro
Kali is a Debian derivative. There are no "Kali tutorials". It's just Debian with a bunch of script kiddie stuff pre-installed. All of those packages can be installed on a regular Debian and are most likely even in the repositories.

>designed for network penetration and testing
Give me a second to recover from those edgy buzzwords before telling you that it's not "designed" for that. Kali "designs" jackshit, it just assembles software other people have written.

guys is deepin good ?

I'm searching a good distro and i want a good looking desktop with a stable core.

Many thanks. Need to check performance and all.

Jesus Christ senpai I'm actually sorry I asked. Screw you guys, I'm going back to Cred Forums where people are nice at least

Don't know about the distro but I'm using deepin DE for a couple of weeks now.
It's awesome. That is if you like the general look of it, because other than changing the gtk and icon theme there aren't that much customization options.
And since I love its look, I preffer to use something that looks good and is not customizable than something that needs 2 weeks customizing too look good.
Also deepin terminal is very good since the last update (15.3).

>I'm going back to Cred Forums where people are nice at least
Just get the info from user without being buttblasted. There's no need to.

Also, Cred Forums is a cess/pol/. Witty, huh?

Do you think is better to use deepin alone
or the manjaro community deepin edition?

>it's not "designed" for that.
>it assembles software other people have written
So it is designed for that, by way of assembling software.

Best editor for web devs?
What would you suggest /fglt/?
Why is your suggestion the best?

It basically comes down to which you prefer: Debian or Arch.

Except, I'm not getting info, I'm getting a projection of insecurity from user.
>muh secret club normies get out reee
is what I'm getting.
"Getting info" would be a nice short answer; what applications are most frequently used in Kali and how to use them properly. Although getting called a poser by an autist took me back to middle school for a second, so that was fun.

Why don't you just try out various text editors instead of bike-shedding and wasting time searching for the "best" everything? Are you going to ask what's the best terminal emulator for web developers is next? What the best desktop background is?

Can you tell me which is the best distro?

Pretty please?

> what applications are most frequently used in Kali
That's a highly irrelevant question because you're using the programs, not Kali. If you need a certain tool for a certain situation, you use it. There are no "most frequently used Kali applications". That's just like asking "what's the most frequently used Windows program".

>how to use them properly
Do you expect someone to write down a lengthy tutorial about the various utilities? Because that's beyond retarded. On the other side, do you expect to learn how to use those programs from 1 or 2 sentences posted on here?

Plop Linux.

Just point me to a youtube channel and shut the fuck up please.

ofc not, best terminal is terminator
And best background, it is the one i have ofc
>pic

I tried vim, sublime, atom and vs code, but always there is something that is missing.
For example i need to sftp sometimes and that i cant make work with any of them, so then i need to use NetBeans. After some usage i get errors in atom about some permissions.
Vim, well, it is good but i get lost in it when project is big.

hi
does someone have a clue on how/where should i report a memory leak? pic related, this really doesn't look ok to me
i already noticed that it only happens when i'm on my external monitors - when i just use the laptop (without additional monitors) it doesn't happen

Ok. I'll clean up user's post for you.

>tutorial on the distro
Kali is a Debian derivative. It's just Debian with extra security testing software pre-installed. All of those packages can be installed on a regular Debian and are most likely even in the repositories. i.e. You could install Debian and add that software yourself afterwards.

However, the existence of Kali isn't meaningless, as it's convenient to have certain software preinstalled. For instance, if you have Kali installed on a Live USB.

>designed for network penetration and testing
The creators of Kali use Debian as a base and add certain software to it, then ship it under the 'Kali' codename. In that sense, it's tailored for that purpose.

Answering your question, just look for tutorials for each program you want to use.

Fedora is great! I haven't updated to F24 still, though. I hope it's a milk run.

Not trying to be un/friendly/ here but there really isn't the best editor or distro or whatever.
Everyone has different needs, and different software suits them well.
Who gives a fuck if I say that arch is the best because it suits me, when you need a stable software.
Get it?
>shut the fuck up
>help me

Post wallpaper NAO!

>For example i need to sftp sometimes and that i cant make work with any of them
Why do you expect your text editor to have such niche features that aren't related to text editing? Why don't you use a file manager or something else to copy those files to your local computer? Why aren't you using some versioning control system which automatically mirrors every file?

>Vim, well, it is good but i get lost in it when project is big.
There are plenty of plugins for Vim which give you those features other text editors or IDEs offer.

The best answer is: to just ubiti se dbi.

Is infinality still needed to correct fonts on GNU/Linux or did we finally manage do caught up with the other OSes?

I've been using Manjaro without it for a long time and I don't know how it compares with it installed. Is it worth messing around with infinality on {CURRENTYEAR}?

Your distribution's bug tracker (the package maintainer might take it upstream if it's a verified bug).
Upstream GNOME bug tracker.

My DE crashed, and had to login back.
Where do I find the error message / log of this?

I suggest you look into fontconfig and its options instead of just being another "Infinality is FONTS on Linux" people.
Hint: you can get good looking fonts without installing Infinality.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration/Examples#Hinted_fonts

Here you go young fella, now you have the best wallpaper in entire galaxy.

Jep peцимo чecтo мopaм дa мeњaм oдpeђeни caјт, нe жeлим дa ми ИДE бyдe кoнcтaнтнo oтвopeн, нe жeлим дa ми јe cepвep мayнтoвaн нa хapд диcкy и нe жeлим дa cтaлнo кoпиpaм фaјлoвe. Jeднocтaвнo хoћy дa ce кoнeктyјeм пpeкo тeкcт eдитopa, измeним штa тpeбa и изaђeм. Haјближa вapијaнтa тoмe би билa инcтaлaцијa вимa нa тoм cepвepy ca HEPДTpee-oм, тaкo ми лaкшe дa ce cнaђeм.

>The best answer is: to just ubiti se dbi.
oвo нијe лeпo дби

Thank you very much sir, that was very informative and I'll definitely listen to your advice. If you ever stop by Cred Forums I'll be glad to tell you about the Jews. Have a great saturday.

tools.kali.org/tools-listing

youtube.com/user/StevesLectures/videos

Eeeј лмao гдe cтe љyди штa имa

Yeah, I agree with you.

My fonts are already configured with hinting and AA. They look nice, but I just didn't know if Inifinality is still a big improvement as it was in the past.

öäüöäü öäü öäü öäüöüäööüä öäöü

Aнoн ми пpeдлaжe caмoyбиcтвo, нијe лeпo кaжeм, бaш мe пoвpeдиo :(
>oдлaзим дo yглa coбe, зayзимaм фeтyc пoлoжaј и пycтaм гopкe cyзe :(

Зaбopaвиo caм мy peћи дa јe типичaн линyкc eџ лopд фeгeт пoзep :(

But, user, I'm Jewish.

456e676c697368206d6f746865726675636b6572732e2054686520696e74
65726e657420737065616b7320656e676c6973682e0a

Hi guys. why would you send this output to stderr?

I've seen loads of examples like this but dont understand. (i know what stderr does but want to understand it's use in this specific context)

explination here dosn't make sence to me?

mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/7811-bash-what-does-12-do/
if [ $# -ne 2 ]; then

echo "usage: $0 directory_1 directory_2" 1>&2

exit 1

fi

Debian stable minimal with dwm is rock solid

>тaј oceћaј кaд cи ce пpeвишe oдвaлиo cинoћ пa нeмaш cнaгe дa yчиш o кoмпјyтepимa
Peци ми, дa бaтaлим coцијaлни живoт зayвeк? Caмo хoћy дa дpкaм кoмп цeo дaн дpyгoви мe нe paзyмeјy.

~Hapaвнo дa нe.~

It's user-friendlyness. For example,
a script containing your code could be redirected like this:

./foo 2>/dev/null

This would disable stderr messages, but still display normal output.

Why would people want to send error-messages to stderr? It's a total mystery.

thanks

Бoлгapия?
Я из Poccии :з

Imagine you have a script which first calls program1 and in case program1 doesn't work, it calls program2. Here you don't want to see error messages so you redirect them to Dave Null.
Then again there are situations where your interest is only about errors, here you redirect the error output to a file, so you can check what happened later.

>Бoлгapия
Heћeмo caд дa ce вpaћaмo, дoнт би пидapac плиз ниггa!
Aи eм фpoм Cepбииa, aи eм нoт бyлгapиaн џипcи!

if you actually read the link i gave its a bit more nuanced then that actually. but thanks for the smart answer, dick.

thanks for that. did you read the link i gave? i don't fully understand the explanation they give?

thanks. i guess my question is more why would you redirect stderr to stdout, considering stderr already goes to stdout by default? ie it end up on your screen

/r/unixporn

That would be stupid, actually.

I had a situation where I wanted to grep some stderr output of a program (I guess it was ffmpeg). Here redirecting stderr back to stdout is useful.

Anyone?

Which desktop environment?
Try Xorg log files or .xsession errors inside your HOME directory.

is this becasue stderr isnt passed through a pipe?

im thinking this is a reason why one might want to send stderr to stdout? so they can pipe the output and then munge it?

XFCE, I was browsing /etc directory, then the file manager started to stutter? lag?
The the sesssion ended and was promoted with XFCE login window.

Please help. This is the first time I've had to use windows in years and I don't like it.

Actually, it's not working.
The hacky solution still works or by using Type=forking and running MPD without the no-daemon option. That however is also bad, because programs aren't supposed to implement their own forking routine and should just rely on systemd instead.

You just can't win ;_;

What's the best PDF viewer, because it sure as hell isn't LibreOffice

MuPDF

help guys, yesterday while sorting through my music library, random ogg files started getting corrupted and unplayable, some even minutes after last playing them....
damn Amarok, anyway the literally only page that seems to have a reference to this issue is this launchpad app launchpad.net/oggfix

Did anyone else ever seen this bizarre issue?

LibreOffice isn't supposed to be a PDF viewer.
What you did there is you imported the PDF into LibreOffice Draw which is a program for design and layouts.
Use MuPDF, Zathura, EPDFView, Okular, EOG or similar.

>Want to try out a new DAW that says they have "Linux" support
>Go on their page
>They list Windows, OSX and Ubuntu, which downloads a .deb file

Thank fuck for the AUR

>EOG
Wasn't that for pictures?

>LibreOffice isn't supposed to be a PDF viewer.

Really? I had no idea! I just set my system up and Libreoffice was the default program for pdf files

any with linux 4.6+ and recent gnome/gtk3 programs.

what the hell is up with you pics? and source on as for your errors, if you have xinit, check you home hidden files, if not check /var/log
anyway, pretty weird to have the DE crashed due to simply browsing

I have a similar case, have to get something installed on a windows pad, but drivers are scarce
and I wonder about touch support
so share whatever you resolved with

This is supposed to be the standard host files, right?

# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.0.1 hostname.localdomain hostname

# End of hosts.

This basically means there is no domain and treats the entire computer as local on a private network, yes? What difference would it make if .local was used instead of localdomain?

Shit, I meant Evince.
What kind of retarded distro does that?

Arch does when you don't have any other PDF reader installed

>distro
Usually, that would be done by the DE

I have one (1) question. How good games work on wine? Do I need higher specs than required?

Depends on the game

Sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes doesn't even run

Tried a shooter game native and in WINE. I don't know why, but I got 5% more FPS actually.

Basically this:
WineHQ is a good place to check when something doesn't work.

That said, WINE is a nice gimmick, but in real life, nonfree software belongs into a VM.

>what the hell is up with you pics?
I have sadpanda addiction.
exhentai.org/g/420233/55c3756d66/
I've looked in /var/log, xinit, even xfcelog.
But I didn't find something odd, at least for my limited understanding of linux.
Could it be mpv or thunar?
The session crashed when those two were running.

/fglt/, could you guys suggest me a good game to play on Linux withour Wine and etc?

i3, awesome, or xmonad, anons?

Aisleriot's Solitare, play until you beat it, then you're allowed to stop playing for today.

i'm using awesomewm, and am using a lain widget to get pulseaudio volume. However, a i get a "null value" error from that widget, unitl i run pavucontrol. It seems like it can't poll the value until pavucontrol is run. Any solution to this?

Please help

I want to ssh into my pc when I'm not in the same LAN. How do I set this up? Preferably without additional hardware.

I can't make my sound work with arch due to brain damage.
However it works just fine with antergos.
How do I copy the "good' config files from the latter to the former.
What are the necessary files?

Whatever you prefer

>All these people use systemd

kys faggots

Is there any point in using rc.inet1 and WPA_Supplicant when wicd and NetworkManager does all that for me?

dwm

I am just getting into tiling wm, and I want something easy to use.

Try them

>an hour ago, passes were "$5 for the next 48 hours!"
>now they're merely 25% off
Hiroshima "jewgod" nagasaki everybody!

run pavucontrol on startup?

Try them all. i3 is very popular and easy to use.

can confirm

Is there a way to check what build flags are available before compiling?

They all suck balls in practical terms, but i3 is the best by far.
Its two brands of garbage are instability and lack of minimization option (i.e. you have 4 windows open, you want more space for one window so you minimize an other and put it back in when you need it - that can't be done even with hacks like abusing the scratch).

Are you using gentoo or not?

equery u -op

>lack of minimization option
Why don't you use one that can do that?

no

>1337

made new one

I have kinda an odd question regarding firefox on linux.

It seems to only be responsive when I'm on a fast internet connection but when I'm on a slower connection firefox hangs and acts buggy. Is this possible?

Also when I refresh Cred Forums.org/g/ I'm getting these ads.pubmatic dialogue in bottom left hand corner wtf is that?

You got an adblocker enabled? Because I never notice that. It might be because of the adblocker.

thats not normal

your ff must be special

Each tiling wm has its own retarded issues. Automatic tiling is pretty gay and ends up requiring a fuckload more manual involvement than i3's manual tiling for example. i3's modes are also more flexible and meaningful than most other tiling wm, and you don't need to recompile it everytime you want to "customize" it.

someone???
send help!!
also, how can I compile this launchpad thing not on ubuntu?