/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf
world.taobao.com/item/15063261998.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.XyTiE8#detail
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general
ark.intel.com/products/52231/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz
trello.com/c/GtAm93Rj/12-t420-1080p-fhd-ips-screen-installation
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834246026
amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-M5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVTP2
ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Lenovo-ThinkPad-90W-AC-Adapter-40Y7659-/322269832469
uk.800pc.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=1&zenid=0f32eb673bc3039156ba8e50a810a3cb&keyword=t420
ebay.com/itm/371749492703
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_MacOSX_X86_(Hackintosh)_10.4.x_on_a_ThinkPad_T43
support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup
amazon.com/GMYLE®-ExpressCard-34mm-Adapter-Dual/dp/B0045BLP1S
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad
youtu.be/b_UQiZglM6Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To anybody who has an eGPU, how does it work out for you.

I'm slowly loving my t420, and thinking of getting an eGPU, docking station and mSATA, but would like some input first.

What's an egpu and how does it differ/stick out from standard laptop gpu's?

It literally sticks out.

It's an adapter that allows you to use a GPU on a thinkpad.

Any gpu or is limited/handicapped what/which gpus you can throw on it?

What's in the box, lads?

Is there literally any meaningful difference between the Crucial MX200 and the Samsung 850 Pro when you're using them in a 5-year-old computer like the W520? Both have write speeds in excess of 500 MB/s, random read speeds around 100,000 IOPS, random write speeds around 90,000 IOPS, both are MLC memory with good controllers, and both would be working on a SATA II bus. The only difference seems to be the Samsung has a longer warranty (10 years vs 3 years) and a higher MTBF (2,000,000 hours vs 1,500,000), but are these things really worth paying double the cost for?

W520 is SATA III. Only the mSATA slot runs at SATA II speeds.

Chinese dragon dildo

So this happened to the T420s I've got
download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t420_t420i_hmm.pdf
Does this manual apply to this model of thinkpad? I want to fix the screen

Hey guys, I'm really uninformed about Thinkpads, only really owned a T410 before. Now, I saw a few decent priced x220's being sold - and I'm wondering:

>is there any known issues with it?
>has it been surpassed value/performance wise by any other thinkpad?
>is there a large difference between performance of intel HD graphics vs dedicated?
>any point in getting the i7 version over the i5?

I got the same setup you're thinking about.

Runs pretty good, posted it here

any desktop gpu as long as you have extra 6 or 8-pin cables to power it

To answer your questions,

>Some people report quality issues with the X220, particularly with the screen, but otherwise it is generally regarded as solid
>Yes, the X230 is probably a better buy at this point, unless you specifically want the classic keyboard
>You only get integrated graphics on the X-series, but the X230 has substantially improved Intel HD Graphics 4000
>Unless you want USB 3.0 on an X220 without having to resort to Expresscards, there is no reason to get the i7

Honestly if you already have a T410, I really question the need to get an X220. Your 14.1" laptop should be portable enough. I would definitely see the case for one if you had a T/W510, or some gaming laptop at the moment.

>>is there any known issues with it?
the IPS screen has terrible temporary screen burn
and they tend to run on the warm side (but not overheating)
>>has it been surpassed value/performance wise by any other thinkpad?
the x230s are like $50 more at worst, and have a slightly faster cpu, and a WAY faster igpu
>>is there a large difference between performance of intel HD graphics vs dedicated?
yes
>>any point in getting the i7 version over the i5?
usb 3.0

Going to selfishly bring in my question from last thread. Why does the X201's hard disk spin so loudly in Coreboot & SeaBIOS? Would getting an SSD fix it anyway? I was planning to buy one for it sooner or later, and the hard disk sounds like it's wasting electricity.

that's the price you have to pay for using "free" software

Thanks, looks like X230 it is. Going to give away my T410 to family and need something ultra portable for my job.

Have any of you guys put an M.2 SSD inside one of these? Any point at all?

you can physically put an m.2 ssd in them, but there's no socket for it
Did you mean an msata ssd? because you can put one in there and I'd highly recommend it to keep weight down

They only support mSATA by default, and that is if you unplug the integrated WWAN or Wifi modem(s).

That's not an answer, and the machine has nonfree blobs for the management engine and VBios. That's also presumptuous because I'm using SeaBIOS for the purpose of faster boot times and better backlight control. Both of the OSes used are nonfree.

I can't answer why it's loud, that sounds more like a hardware thing than a software thing

However, an SSD doesn't spin. So obviously it will fix it

Okay, thanks. The drive is old anyway, and I could care less about firmware support for spinning disks when a lot of mine have been dropping like flies.

the t420 i got coming in the mail has a 64gb msata with fucking win 8 on it and i'm sure as shit not keeping that. is it safe to assume most normal-ass linuxes like debian/fedora/ubuntu will work out of the gate without too much fucking around configs? what if i wanna go all proto-dork and install slackware?

When i installed Antergos on my T420 everything worked out of the box, it was nice.

Sadly i had to replace it for 7 but if i get another ThinkPad i know what OS i'll be installing on it.

>Noob here.
Why do people buy old ThinkPads? What do you guys use it for?
Its just used as a non-daily driver device, right? Why do people install a Linux distro on them?

There's a separate HMM for the T420s. It shouldn't be hard to find(they're public).

There's not much difference between a 2nd/3rd generation i5/i7 and a 6th gen i5/i7 CPU so getting a new model is just a waste of money(unless you want warranty). Also they are better supported by Linux distros and they're easy to maintain.

I'll pick the bait.

>Why do people buy old ThinkPads?
See the OP.
>What do you guys use it for?
Daily computing.
>Its just used as a non-daily driver device, right?
It's my main machine, i get similar performance than what i had on my desktop by upgrading the CPU and using an eGPU i can still play gaymen.
>Why do people install a Linux distro on them?
I don't but because many people use Linux as their main operating system.

i fell for the t420 meme and loving it
what should i do next? already have 8gb and ssd.

16gb ram, three drives, quad core cpu, 1600x900 screen or the 1080p mod, 9 cell battery, weeb keyboard, eGPU

the possibilities are endless

more info on quad core cpu and 1080p mod?

I've had a t420 sitting in my closet for years and I'm not doing anything with it.

>quad core cpu
slap a quad core cpu on it like >1080p
It has a flickering issue and the mod that worked was discontinued.

I got an 850 and regret paying that much, it will probably last forever, can't say anything about about the Crucial but could have gotten a hybrid 1TB and saved 300$, I'll never go pure HDD for my main drive again though

Hybrids aren't good. You don't get the boost of random access speed, which is the top fucking reason SSDs are good. You get the same shitty slow boot speed on a hybrid as you do with spinning rust

does lenovo (T420) have a equivalent to the 3-yr warranty batteries that DELL sells?

W530

>WD mybook
>ASUS monitor
>that mouse+kb
>sketching anything in pen
I threw up

Where do you get those autistic jap keyboards? I want to be a living meme and put one into a X230

>Got X220 on ebay
>was listed as i5, 4GB ram, 320GBHDD
>seller didn't ship for 1 month, kept telling me he'd get to it tomorrow
>finally gets here, turns out it's i7, 8GB ram, 120GB SSD
>115 burgers + 15 shipping

I'm glad I could finally take advantage of these fucking inept ebay sellers. I had to send an X61 back earlier because it was a tablet version, all the picutres showed a very different used thinkpad.

tl;dr, I won the ebay thinkpad lotto

>tl;dr, I won the ebay thinkpad lotto
if you're a buyer you automatically win on shitbay

aliexpress

First for the 14" master race.

and first for the 12" master race

Thoughts on the T460p for programming and light gaming (CSGO, WoW)?

My X230T's served me well over the past few years. Runs quite hot now tho.

repaste

Hi guys!
Inrecently switched to Windows in my X230T.
In my UNI there's a wifi protected with Zero shell. I can spoof MAC address on Debian with ease to connect to that access point, but when it comes to Windows, it was actually more difficult. Tried that Technitium Indian MAC spoofer, and it kinda works, but I'm forced to use "02" instead of "80" as the first octet, otherwise it won't work.
Does anyone know how to spoof the entire MAC address on Windows?

>longer warranty (10 years vs 3 years) and a higher MTBF (2,000,000 hours vs 1,500,000), but are these things really worth paying double the cost for?
Not if you ask me. My experience so far with warranties and insurances is that the company providing it will jump through every hoop to avoid paying up. Maybe Samsung is different?
And while there might be a difference in benchmarks it is unlikely that you will feel it in real life. Eg. my X220 with mSATA (SATA II) boots just as fast as my 8560W and my desktop with SATAIII.

Easy to fix even without a manual if you are not retarded. If you fuck it up, seek help (but for reasons other than changing a screen).
Do yourself a favour though and get hi-res IPS now that you have to change it anyway. I'm secretly hoping my X220 screen dies so I can upgrade to IPS.

I just bought this i thought it would be the best not to expensive laptop to start taking to school for programming what do you guys think?

open up device manager, find your wifi card and go to advanced tab?

Sadly no, Intel went full Jew and disabled Mac spoofing trough the advanced tab on Windows, indeed there are all types of settings but not the "Network Address" setting

what's that eGPU setup you got going on there?

in that case you should install gentoo
750Ti with 120W PSU + PE4L v2.1b
x230 has i7-3520m and 16GB RAM inside.

Just bought my first ThinkPad. Used t450s for 500e. I have to say this is amazing device for the price.

Looks really new. The design is pleasing to my eyes desu.

Yeah I really like the design too. It's modern but still stays true to the Thinkpad brand. Keyboard is really amazing.

how do you like it as a desktop replacement? i'm looking for any options (mostly looking at exp gdc right now).

I recently got the expresscard exp gdc off of banggood. How much of a pain in the ass is it to set it up? Got a 680 and a 980 laying around.

I had a t410 and it was solid.
Just make sure to replace that hard drive with an ssd.
How are you liking it?
Have any experience with any older thinkpads?
I'm probably going to get a t470 with the highest end gpu they offer whenever they come out if the next 15" macbook pro doesn't make me happy.

i don't have one personally, but from what i've seen in videos, it's pretty easy if you have instructions. only caveat i've seen, is you have to switch on the eGPU after the BIOS posts, but that's not unreasonable.

Not too bad then.

Also is anyone aware of the rating on the back light fuse on the t420s motherboard? I wanna replace it but don't just wanna play guesswork with buying a ton of 2 amp ones.

I have a T400 with a missing HDD lid, I bought a replacement but it didn't come with the two screws that hold it in place.

What screws do I need to buy? Has anyone had this issue before?

I haven't owned any older thinkpads so I can't make a proper comparison. The build quality is amazing. Trackpad is not as good as the one in Macbook but it's still pretty decent. The screen is good but I have heard screen quality can vary a lot between models. My last machine was Macbook Pro and overall this feels like a solid upgrade. Windows 10 Pro is not as bad as people are saying.

It's over.

coreboot is lacking most power management features because the authors don't have intimate knowledge of each board.

Ordered a x1 yoga with OLED screen. 6 week wait time before shipping. Want something customized and new, gotta wait.

world.taobao.com/item/15063261998.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.XyTiE8#detail

how real is taobao and what is that 880Y thing

Very if you know what you're doing and 880CNY.

I've never had a laptop before and I'm lost in all of these options.

I'm looking for something to take with me on the train to school and shitpost in bed, so it needs to be somewhat portable. It would need to be able to do the normal office stuff for work, play weeb cartoons and 2d games and emulators would be nice. A screen that doesn't give me eye cancer would be nice too, either from the get go or as an upgrade later.

My budget would be around 150-200 euro, but I guess I could go to around 250 if needed. Any recommendations or pointers are appreciated senpais.

What's your best recommendation for a ThinkPad model that could support Lubuntu? My budget is having a hard time.

On the fence for budget $200 - $400 looking to run Dota 2 and CSGO nothing special.... Recommend me something tp/g/

I have been offered two machines. A T440 - Core i5 / 256GB SSD / 12GB RAM / 1600x900 for 450€ and a T420 i5-2540M/ 160gb ssd/ 8gb ram for 320€. I need it for school, code, and light graphics/3d/cad.

Hi I'm looking for a new laptop. The T460 fits my needs but I can't have a SSD and a HDD, the X260 seems like it would be a bit small (never tried it but I had the X41 Tablet).can you please help find which ThinkPad I should take? I want good battery life (I'm in Uni) and something fast (take notes and some programming)

I wanted to put an SSD on my T440, but the slot under the batrery where it should be placed is empty. I cant use an ssd on my computer? Is there an adaptor or something I can buy to put it?

I have an old dell laptop with an expresscard slot. I want to buy the [Expresscard Version] V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock.
The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I'm not sure how powerful my processor needs to be in order to play some recent titles.

How important is the CPU? Is a dual core 2.8 Ghz 6mb L2 cache enough?

I switched from Mac to Thinkpad after my nVidia 9400M Macbook died on me a few years ago. Never looked back, don't even care what Apple is offering now. Do it fampai.

>not having internal battery
Buy it and mount it immediately

I do have it, you can actually see the wire on the picture...

Holy shit.

Built an E-GPU setup using a low profile power supply and an EXP GDC v8. Works great, was easy to setup and it doesn't overheat the CPU (Maybe get better thermal paste).

The catch is, the Express Card slot is a bottleneck. I lose up to 50% in FPS when benchmarking Just Cause 2. The gap closes a bit when I really crank the settings up, but when it's set to medium the difference in FPS is pretty dramatic. Keep that in mind when building this thing. You'll probably want a pretty good GPU to make it worth it.

Next step for me is to upgrade my CPU. Going from an i5 2450m to an i7 2670qm

Is that express card or mini-pci?

Also, do you recommend the PE4L over the EXP GDC?

Please help friends.

Are you saying expresscard slot is worse than the mini pci-e version?

>in 3 year we'll have another thinkpad revival

who /ready/ here?

Hey, what thinkpad has the best display?

anything IPS
and at least 1600x900

Should you flash new BIOS or no?

No, its an exploit that requires physical access. Also, it makes it a bitch to flash a modded one later on if you want to.

good luck with that, I had one that blew out and just got a new motherboard.

I would argue the AUO 1080p displays in the W520 are the best all-around. Viewing angles are not as good as the IPS displays from earlier models, but they are more than good enough, and the colours are absolutely fantastic.

that's alright, he cleans it off. I'm sure everyone has a little jizz on their laptop from normal everyday wear and tear.

Hey lads, I installed arch on my thinkpad but I can't configure the trackpoint or trackpad anywhere (I'm using KDE plasma)

If I don't increase the trackpoint sensitivity somehow I'll end up breaking my finger

Install Xfce

>requires physical access
Huh? With the X220, you can flash bios from bootable drive, and also a modded version is already out for the newest BIOS version (1.42).

I was talking about the recent code execution vulnerability that mac shills like to post about. Idint know that there was a whitelist removal version of that though.

Does anyone if you can use both to minimize the bottleneck?

>Issues
Screen and failing EEPROM, look it up, not all models affected

>Price to performance
Sandy bridge era laptops are in this category since IPC has only gradually increased since then, and it's one of the best dual core sandy bridge laptops in that form factor.

>Difference
Yes about 2x, still can do light gaming/light CAD work. X220 doesn't have dedicated/switchable graphics though.

>I7 over i5
Besides the USB 3.0 port, no.

I'll try that, but it's stupid the much heavier kde didn't have that functionality. can other kde fags confirm?

X220 or T420. Former has 12.5 inch screen, latter has a 14 inch screen. You choose between size/weight and screen size.

Is the T420 a lot chunkier/heavier than the X220, and does the bigger/better screen weight up against it?

Also, what about the T410 and X200/201? I'm seeing a lot more of those listed locally for some reason. Elitebook 2560p's are also fairly common on my local second hand sites.

How much should I expect to pay for an:
>IPS screen
>8 GB ram
>128GB SSD
x230?

250-270USD

where can one purchase egpu adaptors in the united kingdom of great britain and noirdan oirlant

aliexpress, go ask

aliexpress
gearbest
banggood

I got mine from gearbest

You did not helped me and now I bought a Lenovo Y500.Thanks

changed the settings there, literally does nothing

Why does i5-3210M even exist? There is just 0.1GHz lower frequency compared to i5-3320M and the performance benchmarks show just a tiny difference in performance.

I bought a T510 off of Ebay, but while I was using it I noticed an awful whining noise coming from the upper left corner of case near the fan. I did some research on it and tried turning off CPU power management and disabling the USB hubs, but those didn't do shit and I can't figure out what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas? I'll have to return the laptop if I can't figure out how to get rid of it, which is a shame because I really like this laptop otherwise.

damn that's so cheap compared to my country. How fucked am I if I need to pay about $420 for that?

Business horseshit I imagine. Some poindexter did a bunch of market analysis and figured out what specs and prices would be bought up by vendors and put in certain tiers of systems. No one should have a pentium in 2016, but some asshole at asus will put it in a million shitty laptops and sell them for $200 at best buy to clueless parents for the school season

cannot find anything on the sites listed on wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general

that's a pretty shitty price but as I understand the used markets in other countries are horrible

you can't even get an X230T (touch and stylus IPS) 8GB RAM, 300GB HDD, almost new condition to sell for 280USD here in the US

It's probably because the US market is flooded with a ton of offlease enterprise shit

marketing reasons

gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229102.html

Yeah, unless you manage to buy one from a private individual prices are fucked, a T420 from a reseller costs more than my X240 did from a private individual. (Sweden)

well guys,
how much should a pavillion dv8 cost?
just throw an estimate over to me.

not him, but reseller prices over here in the benelux are pretty shit as well. I just wanted a comfy portable device to shitpost on the go, but at this rate I might just get a galliumOS compatible chromebook and call it a day.

i just can't find any price given to a pavillion dv8, except for 1500$ from 2009.
any way i can find the price of it on my own? not even google is showing me any.
the most expensive thing i get about it is it's screen and battery which cost well above 200$

I am looking to buy a used Thinkpad off of Ebay. I have seen a couple of x201's for about £100.

At the moment, I have a Dell Optiplex 755 desktop, an ASUS desktop(which I need to recase because the PSU is rekt).

I also have a piece of junk Advent Laptop which was given to me. It works well enough but it is cheap and nasty and runs hot enough to boil water.

I don't use the Optiplex very often. I use the Advent but with a wireless Keyboard and mouse.

Is it worth me buying an X220?. I will be using it to learn coding and I do alot of typing on text editors.

finally got my x200 today. going out of town tomorrow and that will be the true test to see if the meme was worth it.

real tired of my X220s palmrest breaking

This is a personal opinion but i wouldn't pick a 12" 1366x768 laptop for text/programming.

I'd pick at least a 14" 1600x900 or ideally something with a 4:3 display like the old Thinkpads.

You would have to pay me to take a piece of shit like that.

It's basically an external pcie slot powered by a separate psu that connects via mini pcie inside the laptop or an expresscard (34/54) slot.

Next time don't buy a T510.

still waiting on my x62. fucking ship it already

>gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229102.html
lol laddie just bought it

Have fun, it's the one i am using right now with my T420.

Keep in mind that aside from the obvious desktop GPU you also need an ATX power supply to power up both the adapter and the card.

yea i'm gonna power it up with my Corsair RM650 and RX480 which I have from the big rig which my T420 superseded (lol Haslel to Sandy Bridge)

What sort of performance do you get out of it? Is it really worth getting an egpu adapter? I have an r9 290x lying around somewhere, seriously considering getting myself one of these to use.

Has anyone tried pci-passthrough with one of these? Running solidworks on my loonix through a vm is looking pretty good right now...

Should I jump the fence and get it? i7 T420 seems like a steal at $160

It's a pretty old i7, but it'll do the trick. $160 is a good price. I'd grab it if I were you.

>What sort of performance do you get out of it?
In games it runs with almost the same framerates than the same card on my desktop did.

In benchmarks runs worse (around 10% less frames in FurMark compared to the desktop) because of the expresscard pci bottleneck.

This user had a different experience though >Is it really worth getting an egpu adapter?
Well if you want to play gaymen of course, it's a massive improvement.

Do you know the i7's name or whatever off the bat with no model and other specs posted? I feel like I'm going to get gimped for a 1366 x 768 though....

Alright then, that sounds like it will be enough of an improvement to take a swing at it, thanks.

The i7 is listed as a 2620m, the specs can be found here:
ark.intel.com/products/52231/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

1366 is a pretty shit resolution, but depending on how much it means to you, you can always swap out the screen for a better one, more info here:
trello.com/c/GtAm93Rj/12-t420-1080p-fhd-ips-screen-installation
Or you could just let this one pass and try to find one with a FHD screen, up to you.

It'll be the dual-core HT i7 that I've got most likely (2620M)

The listing mentions a dual core i7 2620m, it can be upgraded to a quad core i7 cpu like some anons here did.

Upgrading the screen is very easy though.

Sup Cred Forums. Just got my 2nd thinkpad.. and i dunno if you even count it as a TRUE thinkpad(its the 11e netbook. No trakpoint. It does have the milspec build quality tho)

... anyway, i got a problem. Picked it up 2nd hand, and the volume keys are fucked.. but they're fucked across the board(on the keyboard AND on the side of the case) which makes me think its software. Issue is, The F1 key's LED is lit red 24/7 when powered on... I dont know what thats supposed to mean(I would assume that its 'mute', since its the mute key)
And the Vol+/Vol- keys ONLY turn mute on or off... You cant actually lower the volume unless you use the speaker icon in the task tray.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Otherwise, the thing is pretty nifty.. Though i'm sure getting a X2*** would have been smarter(the 11e is bulky as fuck for a netbook, and the bezel around the screen is ridiculous. Could have probably easily put in a 13" screen instead)

or this guy?

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834246026

Shit nevermind rofl it's a 1st gen i7 and I think it only goes up to 4GB RAM....

First-gen i-series is still serviceable and it'll support up to 8GB of RAM. That's pretty overpriced for a T510, though.

Are you saying the cpu can upgrade or something else for service?

serviceable as in it'll be more than enough cpu horsepower to run typical programs.

How big of a jump is there from a C2D(t7500) to a first gen i7 btw? My current TP is a t61 with a t7500... It *feels* adaquate, but if a $200 one kicks the shit out of it, i might replace it(since its maxed out at 4gb of ram and still using a mechanical hdd)

serviceable as in it can give you great service/usage still.

>since its maxed out at 4gb of ram and still using a mechanical hdd
wut, max the ram with 8GB, add an SSD and it'll fly.

If you still think that it's slow then keep the SSD for another thinkpad.

Where can I find that beaut fhd 1080p screen upgrade and bout how it'll

how much it'll cost?*

'bout three fiddy

I thought that was just the T61p. Anyway, finding 2x4gb sticks of sodimm DDR2 would be stupidly expensive anyway..

I'd just flash Middleton's and put a T9300 and SSD in. Second gen i5/i7 blows Core 2 Duo out of the water, but the first gen wasn't quite there yet. It's still better, just not better enough to be worth replacing your whole system.

fuck off 'till I get an actual answer bub

Is this enough for a T420?

Or should I go with a different brand?

amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-M5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVTP2

I have that exact one. Its ok, but i have a 1tb HDD too.

i need a new charger for my t430. would this one work? ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Lenovo-ThinkPad-90W-AC-Adapter-40Y7659-/322269832469

Anyones got a good shop or seller for t420 9 cell batteries that ships to uk? Everyone i see looks dodgy af

I was looking earlier on Ebay to buy a used Thinkpad and was looking at a few sites for replacement batteries.

Have a look here.

uk.800pc.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=1&zenid=0f32eb673bc3039156ba8e50a810a3cb&keyword=t420

hope you like counterfeit knockoffs

sheeeit:
ebay.com/itm/371749492703
$110, no hd, comes with the friggin dock. there's gotta be something wrong with them, right? maybe shit screen res i guess, but of course you'll be using dual monitors at home

Its 1366x768, has no hdd or battery, its a decent price.

>speading lies

with this post in mind, do you guys ever get a little bummed when you see an ebay listing of the model you bought earlier with a better price or config? i almost felt regret about the $150 t420 i have coming in the mail next week after seeing this listing, but i am pretty happy with the config

i got remorse when I saw you could jerry rig a T420 keyboard into a T430 and get better performance, better power consumption + nonshit keyboard, but oh well

I paid $350 for my t420 a couple of months ago.

Half of that was shipping + customs fees so i think it was a good deal.

X220 here with Ubuntu... I had one major problem when I first got it. The noise from the power supply causes the touchpad to have some serious jitter.

Managed to fix it by adding some noise cancellation in synaptics settings, but it was a massive PITA to begin with.

I'm using that drive on my t420 and i regret overpaying for it when i learned about the Chinese Kingdian SSDs.

Just a shot in the dark, but try updating the firmware.

I have no such issue with mine, what noise does the power supply make? Maybe you mean CPU fan? Make sure your CPU scales back under low load.

Not really, I got a good deal on my dankpad and it does what i need to do. I get bummed when i see W530s though.

I'm bored, which version of OSX can I install on my thinkpad?

you don't.

Not even through OSX86 or whatever hackintosh version they have now?

Where to get a 9 cell battery on europe?
Also, the 3 cell cd battery is worth?

Well, I guess you can, doesn't mean you should though. No idea why you would want to install osx over windows/linux. There should be plenty of guides, this one seems relatively decent:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_MacOSX_X86_(Hackintosh)_10.4.x_on_a_ThinkPad_T43

>No idea why you would want to install osx over windows/linux
I'm very bored

should I buy it Cred Forums ?
t530 + docking

>1600x900

How much?

Is there a way to make the clitmouse more sensitive? T520 using w7 64, already on highest sensitivity.

So anons, after owning the t410 and t430s, I have to say the t430s is objectively superior. The new keyboard is much, much nicer to type on. Old layout is truly a meme.

literally nothing wrong with that res and it's not the shitty typical 1366 x 768. Don't take a slightly better res for granted ass wipe

What can cause a thinklight to stop working in an X201?
Mine just stopped a few months ago and it sucks; it would take a few tries to turn it on but it stopped completely.
Is it the cable? Also, do USB3.0 cards exist for the T420? One of the best upgrades I got for my X201

Most sellers don't know whether it's an IPS or TN, so they end up selling for around $200. Try asking sellers for a picture of the serial number and searching for the specs on support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup

I'd be wary even if it's advertised as IPS or SSD because a lot of sellers are lazy or oblivious and just copy-paste other people's spec descriptions

>built up hype to grab this off craigslist
>apparently 32MB VRAM according to sys requirements lab

whelp

at least the t420's nice

fak. forgot screenshot

Anyone?

>do USB3.0 cards exist for the T420?
Expresscards? Sure.

/tpg/'s slower than a snail today/tonight since it's Saturday. For all we know it might be a short or probably a longer wait 'till someone replies/gets to you

Where are you getting your 32mb from?

Sorry for the spoonfeed, but the T420 would take something like this right?
>amazon.com/GMYLE®-ExpressCard-34mm-Adapter-Dual/dp/B0045BLP1S
There's really nothing you can do on windows. You can set mouse settings through the DE on linux or just change the mouse setting in X directly though a command/script.
Thats what the HD 3000 has user.

System Requirements Lab when I checked to run Dota 2

Alright, my bad. I couldn't find any proper info online with a quick google. I'm also not too sure what you are looking for us to say, what's the question?

Intel HD 3000 scales it's VRAM with the amount of ram you have. 4GB ram will give you 384mb of VRAM and 8GB ram will give you 512mb of vram, which is the maximum amount Intel Hd 3000 supports

so I should be fine trying to run Dota 2?
Or should I not bother trying to run/play?

I'm a little worried/concerned before I give it a whirl since apparently Dota 2 only asks 256MB VRAM minimum? The actual hell? I I never knew, I thought Dota's more demanding...

Give it a try, your vram should be scaling, but the dota system checker shit might not be reading your vram properly.

I would just go for it, as Dota 2 is free, so why not try it? If worst comes to worst, you could spend a little money and get an external GPU setup and get a GTX 460 or something so you can play all your games.

I'm in a similar boat, as I am going to buy an X220 and want to play CSGO and lighter titles, so I guess we both will have to wait and see...

I went from Haslel to Sandy Bridge. Gave up a Y510p to get a W520. Far happier with my current computer, and I don't even notice the processing power difference.

Honestly, I just pull DDR2 memory out of old laptops at my office that have been thrown into the electronic recyclers bin. It's amazing what people will pay for them on Kijiji.

Dunno about Dota 2 but my T420 with HD3000 doesn't run CSGO at playable framerates on low settings.

Is it still a good idea to buy a Fury x?

WD is far superior to Seagate. What alternative are you suggesting?

Try using acceleration.

>he thinks consumer "backup" external HDD brands matter
they're all garbage

what about lower resolutions? the X220 has a 1366x768 rather than the 1600x900 in the T420. Even at like 800x600 I'd be fine with it, just so I have something to play around with away from home.

CSGO runs like shit on my 220..

Low settings, thus everything low and 1366x768.

It'll run at 20-40 fps until someone throws a smoke grenade and your CPU will go up to 99c.

how about 720p? or 1024x786? or lower?

thanks for the help guys

Why don't you just buy a gaymur laptop if you want games?
I don't understand why people are buying 5 year old machines with integrated graphics expecting to play games on them

Not liking your chances of getting a decent framerate mate. You should look into getting an egpu, if you have the ports for it. You should be able to set one up for cheaper than a new laptop (probably), but you will need to take that thing with you if you want to play games somewhere.

I'm not expecting to. It'd just be a perk to play CSGO, Killing Floor, and other light titles when away from home. If it doesn't play CSGO or anything, I don't really care. I'm buying it for portability when away from my desktop.

:^)

Then just buy the model you want and try it out.
Really fucking tired of idiots trying to buy a cheapo gaming computer and flooding the thread with their stupididty

Trying to get this old 760E guy running with Windows 98.

It's a fucking hell and a half. Can't get a PCMCIA CD drive working with it. Trying to see if it will boot from a PCMCIA hard drive to install it from. But I can't get PartedMagic to recognize the PCMCIA drive in another laptop. Also trying to get a 40GB drive recognized by the Thinkpad rather than just this 4GB drive already in it.

I don't know how people survived in the 90s. This shit feels impossible

Pic related

Ew, I guess you get kudos for being determined. That sort of tech is well before my time, so I can't really offer any help. Why are you trying to get rid of the 4gb drive? Good luck.

40gb just seems like a bit more room to play with. I could fit on just about any old DOS games I could imagine with it since I already have it laying around

It seems there's some 8gb drive limitation in the BIOS

I actually had that though just after I posted, I thought there would be addressing issues with drives over a certain size. I don't know of any way around that, sorry.

I have a stupid question.
Is the audio jack somehow connected to the speaker assembly on T430? Could the damaged speaker be the reason audio jack isn't working?

I don't think so. That shouldn't matter. If you are on linux, try and run alsamixer to see if anything is muted that shouldn't be. (00 is no volume, mm is muted). If you are on windows, check what is currently set as the default audio device.

Okay will do.

How X tablet versions compare to their normal versions build-quality wise? Is single hinge that bad?

I can't choose between X220T and X230 (IPS)
I doodle a bit and I have a wacom tablet but it's screenless and one extra peripheral to carry around

if your speakers and audio jack isn't working, it's the audio chip on the motherboard.

you can take it to a PC repair store and if they're good they will replace the chip, or you could do it yourself for significantly cheaper if you are good at soldering and/or have a heatgun

>thinkpad with USB type C when?

Hey /tpg/, what can one realistically do with an X300? I picked one up from a moving sale for $40. I always heard how this was a legendary machine and the build quality is definitely impressive, but it is also slower than shit, barely more powerful than my old Pentium 4.

>reassemble my entire T420 after I can't get my fucking ROM flasher to work like it did on the X201
>audio no longer switches to headphones automatically, let alone at all in Windows 7
>crack open the T420 again
>realign the headphone jack's bent-up pins with a sewing needle
>everything is back to normal

Does the projector icon in the Power Manager remind anyone else of a cockroach?

I'm considering a thinkpad x260.
If I get everything, there's one stick of ram soldered to the motherboard and an empty one.
Lenovo is requires to choose the overkill CPU to get 16gb of ram.

Do they give you a motherboard with a 16gb ram stick soldered or do they charge hundreds for a technician to insert a 8gb stick in what is the "empty slot" of the default thinkpad?

That's the t460s

thinkpad 13

What do you mean?
I looked at the T460s without much interest (if I want a /thin/ 14'' laptop, I'd choose a x1 carbon. If I wanted a /thicc/ one, I'd take the usual t460)

My wonder is about the upgradability of the x260. Do they just insert an 8gb stick when they sell a 16gb laptop or do they solder more ram on the motherboard leaving an empty slot?

That's a really square looking Turk.

Does the T440 have Bluetooth? Also, do you think it will run WoW? Really have like 8 friends playing and it'll be great for traveling

why not wait for retro thinkpad if apple fucks up?!

When is the retro thinkpad expected for?

I posted here a long time ago asking about a supervisor password, and I just bought a thinkpad x61 tablet with no indication if the product has a supervisor password or not. If I were to install puppy Linux or Linux mint would I need to find that bios password? If so, how do I accomplish that?

The soldered ram thing is only on the t460s. X260 has one slot.

You mean one slot that is either filled by an 8gb stick or a 16gb one?

The "lenovo guy" from the local department store talked about an empty slot.

Is it a bad idea to order a T420 from ebay?
I have looked everywhere and there isn't anyone selling a single thinkpad in my city.

Is there any way to control the fan speed? Just from light web browsing, not even watching any videos, the temp goes to 50-70°C and the fan is constantly going on and off.

Sounds like you need to start with replacing the thermal paste..

It's new so I doubt that it would already need that.

What model is it?

Thinkpad Yoga 12.

tfw bought a based t420 off craigslist yesterday and it's great and nice~

sweet deal~ nice steal deal bargain, bang for my buck~ ran me $160

1600 x 900
8GB RAM
2nd gen i7

also, this was me yesterday~

Can any of my fellow europeans here point me in a direction of places to get thinkpads from individuals either in the benelux ot that ship to the benelux? Resellers here are retarded, my local craigslist variant has T410 's going for like 200-250 euro.

should I get pic related instead of a thinkpad?

i don't like used stuff :^/

I've got the ES1-111M (12'') version of that.
The build quality feels fine, but my main problem is the touchpad.
In Windows the touchpad is fine, but in Ubuntu it jumps around randomly after about 2 minutes, and is unusable.

I now use my T420 or x230.

anybody here ever try a toshiba tecra?

Got my hands on a t410 that's not working, All that happens when pressing the power button are flashing LED's so I assume its a bad motherboard, Anyone have any idea is it could be something else or should i butcher it for parts.

>Acer

pure cancer

>asus monitor

spotted the acercrapfag

Anyone here with an X230T replace the keyboard with the classic one? How did it go? Also looking for general opinions on it, the X230T.

Can a bluray drive that is advertised as being compatable with a T530 work in my W530?

Why not just get a cheaper external one?

So I don't have to cary around an external one.

How often do you watch your fucking blu-rays?
Just rip them

I would still rather have an internal one.

anyone know if its possible to get iris graphics in a t440p? i know broadwell has the same pinout as haswell but i cant figure out if i can put one in a t440p. and don't some of the haswell processors have iris graphics?

I just found out my mom had planned on getting me the Asus K501UX for Christmas. I appreciate the thought, but I want to make sure that I'm making a good investment for college soon as a compsci major. I also want it to be good enough to game on.

Is the computer ok, or are there much better alternatives in the same price range?

A bit expensive in my opinion, but fine for those needs.

Anyone have the bluetooth drivers for the T420 on Win7?
For some godforsaken reason I can't get them to install the ones available on Lelnovo website

Depends how much you're gonna be typing on it. Hours of programming on those types of keyboards is pretty gross, which is why I went for a thinkpad (but a decent USB keyboard solves the problem too)

Explain further, i installed mine without issues like 10 min ago.

I just recently started Cred Forums, and figured this would be the place to post a question about a laptop after looking inside the thread, however I don't actually know what a thinkpad is. Could you explain?

Also, I've never had a problem typing on typical laptop keyboards before. Obviously they're no mechanical keyboards, but with the good amount of coding I do now I don't ever think of them as a problem. Does it make a big difference for you?

Searching is your friend: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad
We like them because they are well made, and relatively straight to the point with no fluffly bullshit

Some laptop keyboards have shitty ranges of travel, and strange spacing/key sizing. After typing on them for a long time it can cramp up your hands/be a general pain in the ass. Most thinkpad keyboards are nice.

As for the last part of your question, I'm a pretty tall guy, my hands are often too big to comfortably use little baby keyboards.

head over to

> for a nice keyboard

That helps, thank you.

I guess a think pad wouldn't really suit my needs for gaming though

It just fails to install, saying no bluetooth hardware found

However, it had it before when I last ran Win7, and was working fine on Ubuntu. Now I'm on Win7 again and it isn't working.

Can you post a link that you used for the driver?

is there anyway to put a backlight keyboard in a t420?

Try installing the on screen display driver and then activating bluetooth by pressing Fn + F5.

It'll install generic drivers and then you can install the lenovo ones.

Had the same issue.

for what purpose

fn+f12

meant fn+pgup, my bad

i lay on my bed and i can't type right. so i end up having to use the hinges to lower my screen

i've tried it but it ends up giving me a headache after about 20mins

Link to those drivers?
512kbps speed limits my search capability

He's requesting a backlit keyboard, not the (superior) ThinkLight
Nope

I do and
Id recommend keeping the old one desu

post the output of

cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/cycle_count

and
cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/remaining_capacity

oh, mine for example:

I got the drivers after LOTS of patience
The ISS has a better internet connection than I do

4 cell in an X220.

personal experience from using an x201
12 inch screens suck for having more than 1 window open at a time.

T420 for $175, should I pull the trigger Cred Forums?

>College
>game
Enjoy being one of those compsci faggots that give up at Calc II

How about you learn where the keys are you idiot

What old-ish IBM desktop matches the thinkpad A E S T H E T I C the best? I'm thinking an old intellistation might do the trick

if it has the higher res screen then sure
kinda dirty though

What're the specs on it? craigslist, offerup, ebay?

LENOVO T420 INTEL CORE i5-2540M 2.60GHZ 8GB MEMORY LAPTOP TYPE:4180-KHU (B2)

Personally, I've seen cheaper deals for same specs, but it's not a bad deal.
If it comes with a (not completely dead) battery and AC, go ahead.

bought a used t420 2 month ago
use it as my main pc and love it but the battery suck
looking to buy a new battery for it
found a bunch on ebay but i heard somewhere that i have to buy the ones from lenovo or else they will suck
any sugestions
pic related is my current battery
can i expect something better with a new one?

>seller sells IPS x230
>turns out to be TN
>bitches about model number and unauthorized deconstruction (posted pics of sticker on the panel)
>hear nothing and request help from Ebay
>out of nowhere get a 'courtesy refund' from Ebay cus. support and ticket is now closed
>nothing related to returning och shipping the laptop back to Germany
Am I supposed to get shipping cost refunds when it's been delivered or did I just win the lottery?

That looks next to dead, try and find a Lenovo battery sealed, new in box. I bought mine from Amazon.

Spend part of your refund on an IPS panel.

I actually ordered that same listing, and I'm currently running Kali and Ubuntu on it. Haven't played with Kali much, but Ubuntu works great.

I will, if I get to keep it

slapping on the word gaming laptop doesn't make it fit for gaming. get something compact and cheap. you'll hate the laptop when you start using it on those tiny folding desks

t460p vs p50s for professional (mostly programming)+light gaming?

As I understand it, the t460p's dgpu is more suited toward gaming but the machine as a whole runs quite hot. Do the more reasonable temps of the p50s make up for the decreased performance?

Found a X230 with the Core i7 (model #2320HQU), 8gb ram, 180gb SSD for $300.

Can't tell which screen it has. Is this a good find? How crucial is an IPS screen to have? I've got a T430 right now with a normal screen and it's just fine to me.

Saw this image floating around the front page. Does anyone recognize what that hard drive thing is?

Some kind of 4 slot sata dock

youtu.be/b_UQiZglM6Y

>How crucial is an IPS screen to have?
It's a very nice plus.
>I've got a T430 right now with a normal screen and it's just fine to me.
Then don't get the IPS or you're going to start hating your t430 screen.

Could I run Elementary on a x200/x220 ?

Anyone with a P70 who can comment on the build quality, keyboard and track pad in particular? Boss says I get to choose between that and a Zbook equivalent specs. I lean toward the thinkpad by name but my coworker already got a Zbook and it feels pretty damn good.

hd 3000 on my macbook has up to 1.5 gigs, why is the thinkpad hd 3000 limited to so little?

My friend has one.
It's specs are too good for its price. So don't expect anything other than ok-ish specs (they still use U cpus).
The 4K screen is TN for one. You can tell they're cutting corners.

Get the P70 if you can stand XBOX HUEG.
zBook had shit in the past.

X220 yes, X200 probably but I bet it'd be a little jittery. eOS is fat.

Is an x225 worth it for $168? it has an Intel i5 2520M(2.50GHz), 8 GB ram, and a 300 GB SSD.

what thinkpad model would run ubuntu with the longest battery life?

Network Security guy here

>installing Kali
Are you retarded my man? Thats a toolset not an OS. Atleast run it in a VM with a good baseline, that way you can revert back to it whenever you finish using it.

Stop watching the cringe Mr.Robot shit.

P50.

X260

Want something for video editing only, what should I go with

A desktop

X201

Whoops, misread. W520.

why should someone listen to a dumb frogposter

lol yes

I need your help /tpg/,

I need a new laptop and I narrowed it down to two candidates. The price is exactly the same, one is a Lenovo thinkpad and the other one is a HP notebook.

The HP notebook has
>a dedicated graphics card
>a 500GB larger HDD
>Windows 7 in addition to the pre installed Windows 10

Is there any reason to choose the Thinkpad in this case ? And why are Thinkpads to exspensive ? This one normally costs about 500€

if that hp offers what you want and need, go for that one ofcourse if it has a better price for what is offers.
>more memory
always nice
>dedicated graphicscard
takes away more power for less "on the go" use
can be, depending on what kind of gpu, annoying if you use gnu/linux or something alike.
>windows 7
whatever

what kind of screens do they have?
tn? ips? hd? hd+? fhd?

Both have the same 1.366 x 768 HD display.

Right, I forgot about the power usage. The batteries are pretty similiar and I will probably always have a power socket available.

I think I will take the HP. Thanks

New thread:

thinkpads are memes thats why people try to get more for them.
hps, dells etc. are also really nice and dont get the attention thinkpads do so they are more slept on so should be easier to find for a nice price some times

The prices are really throwing me off. The Thinkpad is usually almost 600€ which is about 150€ more than the HP one costs.
I just thought that I may overlook something.

you are talking about a businnes model right?
I thought you were talking about those from the op

The HP one ? It's designated as business model.

I was just browsing my local electronics supplier and found two "notebooks" that drew my interest

i can't touch type but not while my laptops on my chest