Linux

Linux mint or ? what should i use im just starting out so...

Did you read the sticky, OP?

Solus or Ubuntu MATE.

Mint is a mess behind a pretty UI.

thanks for the help

I installed iElementary and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I just googled step by step directions. Hardest part was creating space for a new partition. It's good looking and easy to use, which were my only two requirements. I couldn't ask for anything more really.

Linux Lite

What a stupid fucking question

Mint is fine. And the image is horrifying. Here's a better one.

Use mint.
Cinnamon mint.

I've really been digging Kubuntu. It's almost on that "just werks" status.

Refresh catalog.
Hats everywhere.
Happy birthday, Cred Forums.

gentoo is usually a good place to start.

Yes OP.
Use mint with the cinnamon de. It's literally the most comfy experience you will ever have. In fact, I'd say that mint is my favorite os right after windows 7.
Everything just werks out of the box, it looks consistent and nice, and it has mainstream support and tons of documentation/forums since it's the most popular distro.

>use the most insecure distribution
>fuck security patches

>most insecure distribution
based on what? If you're talking about that 'hack' from a while ago that was a wordpress vulnerability, not mint.

>they don't use security advisories
>users can't look up whether or not they're affected by a CVE
>they mix binary packages with Debian an Ubuntu which results in an unstable, unpredictable update system
>the devs solution to this was simply to blacklist things like security patches
>they import packages from Ubuntu or Debian, they hi-jack package and binary names by re-using existing names. For example, they called their fork of gdm2 "mdm" which supposedly means "Mint Display Manager". However, the problem is that there already is a package "mdm" in Debian which are "Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting". Thus, on Mint, the original "mdm" package cannot be installed.
>their new "X apps" which are supposed to deliver common apps for all desktops which are available on Linux Mint. Their first app of this collection is an editor which they forked off the Mate editor "pluma". And they called it "xedit", ignoring the fact that there already is an "xedit" making the old "xedit" unusable by hi-jacking its namespace.
>they do not care about copyright and license issues and just ship their ISOs with pre-installed Oracle Java and Adobe Flash packages and several multimedia codec packages which infringe patents and may therefore not be distributed freely at all in countries like the US.
Literally AmateurHourOS

This cant be real

Holy shit

Why are not you lads using sql to corrupt your enemies database. Also which fraction is largest.
14/341, 34/602, 29/571, 41/741

you have ruined penguins for me

SELECT * FROM elite WHERE last_name LIKE '%berg' OR last_name LIKE '%stein';

Use sql

kek good one

Manjaro is the only right and correct answer

this

Use Manjaro. Best distro for beginners in my opinion, it's also great for gaming.

>posting trannies on Cred Forums

Linux mint is a good option IMHO

best for gaming how? How is it better than any other distro for gaming? Better than SteamOS?

See
And then leave.

Cinnamon is actually a piece of shit. KDE is basically Cinnamon done right and you should be using it.

What are you familiar with? Windows? OSX?
If Windows, Mint will be easier to adjust to out of the box.
If OSX, Ubuntu will be more similar.
Ubuntu MATE is also not bad, just run MATE tweak to change the desktop panel layout.

Penguins are like pussies. From afar, you just want to nuzzle up to it. But up close & gaping, pretty horrifying.

>And then leave.
Hmmm, i don't get the hostility. Those are some good points but:
>which results in an unstable, unpredictable update system
I haven't had problems with the updates so i just cannot buy this point, sorry.

>they don't use security advisories
>users can't look up whether or not they're affected by a CVE
This seems interesting, would you mind to provide some more information?

>the devs solution to this was simply to blacklist things like security patches.
They're an small team compared to ubuntu's, that's probably their crime, you can enable the same updates as ubuntu from a simple gui with a radio button.

>they hi-jack package and binary names by re-using existing names
Regarding those you're right if true but it's enough to consider it a bad operative system?

>they do not care about copyright and license issues and just ship their ISOs with pre-installed Oracle Java and Adobe Flash packages and several multimedia codec packages which infringe patents and may therefore not be distributed freely at all in countries like the US.
They had separated isos for those countries were the copyright may be being infringed because as you said this doesn't applies to all countries, that why i think your point regarding they "don't care" is clearly false. Anyway, they doesn't ship anymore the isos with those packages so i guess this point doesn't matter anymore even if you're right.

Ubuntu Cinnamon
>noot noot motherfucker

this

Go Debian or go home.

I've been using xubuntu for a couple of weeks now. Pretty comfy.

deepin no other answer is correct

/thread