How are BDs not a scam?

I have never purchased a BD or DVD (besides the first few Harry Potter movies back then) in my life. I was reading about some anime BDs and I noticed that

>Each of the nine Blu-ray and DVD volumes scheduled for release through February 24, 2017...
>nine Blu-ray and DVD volumes

We are talking about a 25 episodes anime, but I always was under the impression that when you purchased a BD you got one disc for like $50 and it contained all the episodes. Is this implying that in order to have all the episodes people have to purchase 9 different discs? Is this normal for stuff other than anime? What went wrong?

That's just how anime works, user. And only in Japan most of the time. That's what the Japanese are willing to pay, and what bullshit weebs who buy their shit from Japan are willing to pay.

BDs are a scam.

I don't have a BD player (so I have no experience with buying BD discs), but that's probably just for anime, in Japan. You know, the pay for the creators has to come from somewhere.

so an entire format is a scam because you don't like how some publishing companies publish their shit

k

Nobody is saying OP isn't a faggot but bluray is a scam directly related to DVD/AACS being broken and them having the marketing power to push a new """standard""".

>thinks Bluray Disks are a format
>gets triggered and spergs out because he can't understand the context OP meant

Being autistic and tech illiterate must be really tough.

Only a scam for weeb trash.

FILTHY PIGGU GIB US YOUR MONEY OR YOUR WAIFU WILL NEVER LOVE YOU
t. Anime publishers

Meanwhile in the rest of the world we get the entire series on 1-2 BD's.

Is the content 1080p? Are the episodes 30/45/60 minutes?

So let me get this straight, if you purchase some TV series like Breaking Bad or whatever, you only buy one box with probably two disks including all the episodes right? That's the normal way right?

>Is the content 1080p?

I'm not sure BDs even work like that.

>Are the episodes 30/45/60 minutes?

Nah 25.

yes

breaking bad had 62 ~45 minute episodes, that's 46.5 hours
if it was on two 50G disks, you'd only have ~5000kbps for the video and audio, which isn't even as good as youtube provides

It should go without saying that it's a box per season you sperg.

>making assumptions about how something works in a thread asking how something works
yea, na

>You know, the pay for the creators has to come from somewhere.
Not the advertisements played during intermissions as it airs on television?

I use it for archival because I don't have tape at home.

>You know, the pay for the creators has to come from somewhere.

Um, maybe ad revenue?
I mean they're airing for FREE. Would they be so stupid as to PAY for being on TV so that the TV company can earn millions for ads and the animation company be limited to merchandising?

If this is true, they can't blame ME for their failed business model. I wasn't going to pay for it anyway so my pirating is not to blame for their failure.

What are you sperging about? user just forgot that anime airs on TV.

Not involved in your autistic argument but I would like to interject for a moment to say that the revenue from TV + streaming together is only 4%-5% of the whole industry. Like 40% is merchandise, 20% foreing everything, 20% pachinko, and the BDs are like 15% IIRC.

Wow no wonder the entire industry is otaku trash now.

Source?

>Implying you're serious

48 Mbit/s is max bitrate for blu-ray so 6MB*60Sec*25Min=9GB per episode. It makes sense to have 9 25GB blu-ray disks for 25 HD episodes.

I am serious fag. I saw it in a scan of a jap anime magazine on Cred Forums. I tried to search in the catalog but I have no idea what the thread even was about so I couldn't find shit. Ask for it on /wsr/ or b8 some Cred Forums fags into sperging and posting it if you really care.

This, I saw it too. Fucking pachinko brings just as much revenue as BDs, it's hilarious.

It's because pachinko is a fucking racket designed to leech on the psychological vulnerabilities of japs. Poor assholes get stuck with 18 hours long shifts in dead end jobs and they only want some way to escape reality and misery. Pachinko is addictive as fuck because it's pocket change gambling, also they tiptoe around the gambling laws by delivering prizes instead of money, but often the bigger prices are pieces of gold and conveniently there's a store that buys gold right next door from the pachinko parlor. Also they are usually owned by the same person and it's not infrequent that they're run by the Yakuza.

The people there just want to see the animations of the waifus when they line up 2 of the same kind and maybe win some money every now and then, and for many that activity is the only fun they can afford with the money and time they have. Pachinko is racketeering at its finest.

It has ALWAYS been that way the only thing that ever even slightly changed things up was Evangelion

who here ready for the new age of shoujo-comedy kino

I got seasons of x files for 10-15$ on Amazon and the quality is really good. Anime is a rip off.

But why isn't the same thing done with western series? Also it makes sense that live actions should take more space than cartoons to look good, so it should be even worse with live action series right? How does it work?

That's just a myth spread by otaku to justify not watching good anime. Back in the day they were lucky to release 30 anime a year let alone a season, and shows ran a long time and took the time to develop a plot. If anything Evangelion started the waifu wars thing that lead to entire series of the Virgin Bachelor being profitable.

Compression artifacts are much much more noticeable on 2D presentations than 3D. Every otaku knows this. Don't believe me? Post an image on Cred Forums and leave "vlcsnap" in the filename.

Fuck off normalfag.
Stop projecting your shit tastes as though they are an objective standard.

Maybe you'd be able to tell me what the fuck is a Maki.

But I thought that BDs didn't have compression artifacts because they didn't even use compression. Isn't compression something that happens when you encode a BD into some container but that BDs themselves don't have?

no, bluray video uses H.264 compression (sometimes instead VC-1 or MPEG2, but typically H.264)

uncompressed video is fucking massive

I don't know the technical specs, but Sentai Filmworks distributes anime on blu ray, and does the entire season on a few discs thing that western TV people do. You can ask Cred Forums about them.

Then what happens when they make the encoding? Just more compression + removing additional languages/subs and cutting every episode into a file?

yea, basically, they decompress the video and compress it again with tighter bitrates

you can download remuxes (where they place the original on-disc video and audio into files without re-encoding them), but most people don't get them as they're pretty big (approximately the same size as the bluray disc)

>So let me get this straight, if you purchase some TV series like Breaking Bad or whatever, you only buy one box with probably two disks including all the episodes right? That's the normal way right?
Game of Thrones was about 3 discs per season. Seasons 1-5 were over 1TB total to download. I pity whoever actually paid for it.

Anime is released differently than you'd expect. It's released to milk as much money out of the people buying it as possible. We're talking $60 for 4 episodes.

It's got nothing to do with Blu-ray itself and everything to do with profit. For example I bought a buster Keaton box set the other week that he dozens of his silent movies for 20 quid, a few months ago I got a Werner Herzog box set that was similarly great value.

If dvds and blu rays are a scam then so are CDs, physical books etc. If you were raised a pirate and don't believe that cultural pursuits deserve monetary compensation that's fine but you're picking something strangely specific when your issue is really very widespread.

>buster Keaton box set
>Werner Herzog box set

No idea what these even are but it sounds like you're just trying to be a special snowflake on the Internet. Go brag about your edgy games on Cred Forums and see if they give a shit.

Japs are laughably tech illiterate in many things.

>If you were raised a pirate and don't believe that cultural pursuits deserve monetary compensation

1. As stated by most of their money comes from merchandising. How can anyone outside Japan can get to know the series if it only comes out as merchandising (plushies, figures, DVDs). Pirating is a must for their foreign business. In fact pirates created the demand, working as advertisers for FREE. This is OK for them until someone buys the distribution rights in America then all the fans can buy everything again or go to jail for not supporting the Creators.

2. Cultural pursuit is an ambiguous term ever since popular culture became Popular Cultural with capital letters. Access to culture is a human right and thus people can't be put in jail for getting it (for example in my country they can't cut the water supply if you prove you can't pay for it). If anime is Culture destroying the pirate distributors would be like burning books. They're essentially saying certain contexts of expression are illegal. Now, if they're just entertainment then they can't SHAME people for not wanting to be their customers. I mean, imagine the morning variety show claiming people should buy their shows of DVDs to support their cultural enrichment efforts.

This is why you pirate blu ray rips

Holy fuck Cred Forums is a joke.

>optical discs
>2016

Breaking Bad is around ~10GB per episode. So two discs per season sounds about right.

Everything is culture. There is no such thing as "no culture". Eating mudcakes is Haitian culture. Shitting in Walmarts is American culture. Getting killed by Muslims is French culture.

>implying there is an alternative

>what is digital download or streaming
Not all of us live in Australia with DSL internet still.

Can you name 1 service that offers streams or downloads compare in quality/size to Blu-ray discs? That's roughly 40Mb/s bitrate.

Netflix offers 4k already in streaming.

Yes and it's very poor quality. They use a bitrate of 15Mb/s for the whole stream (both video and audio).

You'll get better quality from a 1080p Blu-ray.

you think people give a shit when they are watching on a tab, phone or laptop? Overwhelming majority of all media is consumed on mobile devices now. Long are the days where people when to the cinema to watch SJW 3: Killing the Patriarchy . It's all on the internet.

So you are unable to name 1 service that offers streams or downloads compare in quality/size to Blu-ray discs?

Didn't think so.

Size is not bitrate.