When did you grow out of Linux, Cred Forums?

When did you grow out of Linux, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=me-KVGNSdNo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because BSD hardware support is garbage.

Debian is perfect for my desktop. I use it for two years now.

Windows mustardrace.

>Manufacturers' hardware support is garbage*

I fixed that for you.
It is not BSD's job to support hardware that is unsupportable by design.

Once I started writing daemons in Linux.

Linux systems calls are horribly documented. Then you just have stupid performance loop holes. Most system calls have 2/3 versions.
>1 is POSIX standard, dogshit slow, uses a lot of internal kernel caching, only supports 1 handle, and always blocks on call.
>2 has better performance, allows you disable caching, still only allows 1 handle, some flags won't block on call.
>3 doesn't block, supports multiple handles, has dozens of flags, seems to completely cover your use case... But 40% of the flags aren't documented, or documented with 1 non-nonsensical sentence, and the man page ends with a request for a update, except it hasn't been modified since 2013.

man pages on Linux are a cruel joke

About 2 weeks ago. My BIOS is broken, it's in read-only mode and I have to enter the password twice on every boot. Hopefully this Windows install will never break or I'm screwed.

When I got into kernel development.

What hogshit Linux is.

>no opencl at all
I'll stick to weedows

Had to use OS X at my new job. It took 2-3 months to become comfortable with it and commit the completely different key combos to muscle memory. Finally I couldn't deal with having Linux on my workstation at home so I turned it into a hackintosh.

I manage thousands of Linux machines at work and have Linux servers at home, so I haven't quit Linux, just desktop Linux.

As a long time OpenBSD user, I wish people would stop shitposting about it. The smug elitism belong to the Linux world, so keep it there.

Explain yourself

>Talking about an OS is shitposting
Anyways, what Cred Forums needs is to unify UNIX users together. BSD, GNU/Linux, and other UNIX based operating systems need to unify to fight the real enemy: windows.

Different philosophies. Diversity is strength.

Fuck off, UNIX wars/ Distro wars predate you.

"Software shouldn't be designed to run on things that actually exist. It should be perfect and clean"

I'm talking about the board. This place is being invaded by windows using shitheads and Cred Forumsermin. It has been for the past few years.

OpenBSD runs on everything. I don't understand this meme.

I switched to Linux for a bit.

But then I needed to sync my iPod...

except modern hardware with nvidia or amd gpus...

When I build my own computer and want to start playing vidya gaymes again.
Stopped cause too busy with school. Fuck school.

In 2002

None of that matters. Just get a ThinkPad. Problems weren't.

There is info pages.
Code itself well readable.

not yet

Why do info pages exist in a unix-like?

>Wndows
>no CUDA, no OpenCL
lel.

GG me to

/thread

good meme

basically, my uni professor used Linux as what not to do when comparing it to solaris/*BSD.

Just now when I installed OS X, if I couldn't get it to work, I was going to install Debian, luckily it does though.
It's pretty swell.

No, leave windows for pajeets.
For Free Software we must create separate board /fs or just /s becouse mac and windows just malware /mw

GPL-based BSD when?

I have both Gentoo and FreeBSD on my laptop, the either are ready for everyday work and fun. FreeBSD hardware support is garbage, I use Linux almost all the time.

Is it a hackintosh? OS X seems really swell.

It's full documentation, manpage - short.

Yep, I'm going to try updating to sierra soon, though it'll probably break everything.

Why?

Apple bloated their OS with redundant bells and whistles which burn cpu cycles in order to keep applebots buying Appel hardware.

Never, been using noobuntu for 8 years and not planning on stopping.

but also been using macos for 2 years and its a fine OS

I see nothing wrong with the BSD license, besides the fact that it lets people take it and make it proprietary very easily; in any case, I prefer the GPL approach to Free Software

You can re-license any BSD licensed code under GPL and there is not a damn thing they can do about it.

do u work in nyc?

Only if you include the original license with it. You can attach a new license to BSD but you cannot change or remove the original license without consent from the author.

BSD devs would be glad to support any hardware.
Nvidia and AMD just make that impossible through their own actions, not BSD.

Anyway everybody most likely has some laptop with intel lying around. Just use that.

AMD made it pretty "easy"(relatively speaking anyway) the problem is there's just not enough devs interested in working on the radeon DRM drivers in kernel. FreeBSD and Dragonfly both have been working hard to get their Intel and Radeon DRM drivers up to parity with their Linux counterparts but OpenBSD doesn't put as much focus on performance so there's been less effort in that direction. NetBSD I have no idea I assume it's probably worse than OpenBSD

"We invented a car that runs on firewood. It's not our fault gas stations don't sell firewood. Our car is the best ever and everybody should use it even if it means they don't have fuel."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

Actually wood gasifiers are a thing that exist. They're actually a backup in case petrol becomes scarce.

don't, it has nothing new to offer just botnet
hell I am regretting updating to El Cap on my hack, mavericks was literally perfect

inb4 massing shitposting and samefagging

is nvidia the gas station or the firewood?
I did hear nvidia made some hot cards.

I was 15 I think. It was the end of my edgy autist phase. It's when I stopped trying to be different.

2014 (using from 2005).

I use Windows on my desktop now, I have a Macbook for travel and use FreeBSD on my servers.

No

/idiot
/ignore

systemd did it for me, I didn't want it and apparently linux faggots love it, so I moved on to FreeBSD.

I wish I had done so earlier.

>package management stuck in 90s
>i love it here

kys

FreeBSD runs pretty much close to perfect on my memepad.

I actually chuckle whenever I see someone complain about systemd. You DON'T have to use linux if you don't want to. Plenty of alternatives.

Linux is for try hards.

>package management stuck in 90s
>literally superior to fagt-get

pkg install kys

It's that fucking easy you donk

Never picked up that Linux shit.
Started Unix with Solaris in college; never left.
Innovation everywhere.

When I was 12 or 13

When OpenBSD 6.0 came out I decided to give it a try and not only did it not automatically detect my keyboard layout but I also learned that it doesn't include all the keyboard layouts by default so you have to patch them manually. I also learned that it doesn't include any mirrors by default so you have to add mirrors yourself with PKG_PATH. FreeBSD isn't as bad but the package selection is still too small although it had most of the things I wanted, also ports have absolutely retarded naming.

>I also learned that it doesn't include any mirrors by default so you have to add mirrors yourself with PKG_PATH
If you install from a mirror instead of from the disc it'll automatically set that mirror as your PKG_PATH

Didn't know that, thanks. I'm not using it anymore but every once in a while I try OpenBSD because I like the development philosophy.

edit /etc/examples/pkg.conf

find a mirror that is close to your location

uncomment the mirror by removing the "#"

cp /etc/examples/pkg.conf /etc/

I don't think I ever will. It's unlikely that someone creates a better alternative that still has the potential to spread everywhere. I'm fine with it, Linux is nice.

jesus christ what fucking keyboard layout do you use that's obscure enough to not be included?

i use a canadian multilingual keyboard, and sure, it's not available in the console, but i can live with US

and then Xorg itself supports it and that's all i use

About a year ago, when I understood how better GNU+Linux was.

I think the same but replace 'Unix based' with humans and 'windows' with jews.

'this guy gets it

web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf

does openbsd have real multi-processor support yet?

Yes

Who's shilling this BSD garbage again?
It must be apple.
Looking for developers who's work they can steal.
But please, if you like a good laugh, try BSD as you're desktop OS.

Nobody's shilling it and it's definitely not garbage. It's BSD users discussing technology on a technology board.

>But please, if you like a good laugh, try BSD as you're desktop OS.
Works for me

this

>shilling something free
every time

you're no better than barneyfag with these retarded shill claims

#BTFO

Quit shitposting

Quit using the Gay Software Distribution.

Heres a quarter kid, buy a better kernel.

>caring what operating system I use
>being this fucking unfunny
Seriously did you think Gay Software Distribution was even remotely funny? I sincerely feel bad for you.

he's probably the guy who changed the gnu/linux copypasta into bsd/nothingwerks and thought he was the funniest person ever

Yeah that was me. You got me.

I tried to install FreeBSD, but the package manager was fucked

Can't do "pkg install apache", I have to somehow know the current stable version of everything I want to install. How the fuck was I supposed to know it was "apache24"

Daily reminder that BSD is an insecure garbage. It doesn't have softwares in its official repos, which makes people use ports. Ports are maintained by a group of basement dwelling neckbeards and software vendors do not audit their compile scripts.

Software vendors provide precompiled binaries for Linux with checksum, but they don't do the same for *BSD.

Furthermore *BSD has a very limited driver support. Even if some device manage to run, the drivers crash due to aggressive mitigation. This is why your laptop turns into a room heater when you run X-org on BSD.

BSD desktop environments are poorly put together. Many desktop environments are developed with Linux in mind. For example Xfce, GNOME, Cinnamon or MATE uses udev for automounting external storage. BSD doesn't have udev: automounting will not work on BSD. I knew this first hand when I tried PC-BSD (a variant of BSD) few years back. Now that GNOME and other DEs are slowly moving to newer technologies like Wayland and Systemd: BSD is and will always remain crippled for desktop use.

Just for the record, I'll let you in some secrets: almost no printer/scanner and bluetooth devices will work on BSD.

Overall my biggest beef against BSD is its philosophy. It claims to be "secure" but its "secure" version has NO softwares. Use ports and it is no longer BSD team's fault that you used "insecure" 3rd party softwares. What a joke!!

Bottomline:
1. Linux fights with Windows in terms of usability while BSD can't even compete with Linux.
2. BSD offers NOTHING practical to be used instead of Linux.

If you are using a free operating system, use one that's usable for desktops. Don't use a router OS (while Linux beats them in routers as well).

Spam copy pasta, don't bother replying to it.

Don't you ever get sick of shitting on BSD?

Oh that's right, of course you don't. Shitposting's the only thing you've ever been good at.

when I finally got a nice SPARC system I switched over to slowlaris for most of my development and server stuff

kind of getting back into the freetard way though, GNU can be pretty cozy

pls guys stop using the UNIX trademark wrong, BSD is merely "Unix" and GNU/Linux is only Unix-like, its underlying base shares nothing in common with actual Unix

besides, that "unification" happened forever ago when NT caused a total shitstorm, most Unixes and Unix-likes today are pretty much the same where it matters, and run a lot of the same applications

Refute

OpenBSD has no softwares without ports

>Refute
no

Because you can't :^)

I use OpenBSD on my laptop and have like two programs from the ports system installed.
>without ports
Why do you need to create arbitrary definitions on what counts as software? Running out of arguments, shitposter?

no, because i know you'll just samefag by posting shit memes for 6 hours straight if i try to give a serious reply

I'm not saying ports aren't software, I'm saying ports make your systems insecure because it's unaudited, unofficial compile scripts made by some basement dwelling skid

You still never won in any debate with me :^)

>I'm not saying ports aren't software, I'm saying ports make your systems insecure because it's unaudited, unofficial compile scripts made by some basement dwelling skid
Still software. I don't use OpenBSD for muh security.

>You still never won in any debate with me :^)
lmao he admits that he's actually triggered enough by BSD to post here every day

>I don't use OpenBSD for muh security.
Good point.

Why do you use OpenBSD?

>Everyday
Oh come on. No one gives a shit about BSD any more. I can only shitpost if you try to make a shitstorm like OP

>Why do you use OpenBSD?
I've been wanting to try BSD out for years, never got around to it. After getting a laptop that had shit Linux and Windows support I decided to try OpenBSD because why not and it supported everything. Then I started using it on most of my computers because I like the OS.
>Why do you use OpenBSD?
They do, they've just moved the discussion to other sites because you can't stand the thought of a BSD thread without filling it with shitposts.

More like when did you grow out of windows? you faglord OP

>I can only shitpost if anyone dares discuss something I don't like
ftfy

That's fair enough. I don't see that baseless superiority any more.

If it makes you feel any better I actively shill for FreeBSD sometimes. But that stopped when the portsnap vulnerability came out 5 months ago

Yea, I don't like it because it's a piece of shit, garbage placebo shitware :^)

>But that stopped when the portsnap vulnerability came out 5 months ago
yeah those MACs sure did you a lot of good didn't they

How does MAC have to do anything with mitm?

Grapes are sour :^^)

well according to you MACs were the BEST THING EVER MADE that would prevent ANY KIND OF ATTACK

hahahahahahaha, freebsd cucks btfo once again!

>ANY KIND OF ATTACK
Learn what MAC is, sourfag hehehehe

At least freeBSD has drivers

Install gentoo you fucking cucklords get off my Cred Forums

maybe you should learn what they are since you're so adamant about MACs being the best and end-all solution to security™

It's one of the key security implementations that you will never have lel

but yeah otherwise i think it's not that surprising to see a freebsd user to be so insecure that they need to shitpost on Cred Forums every day

if anything i think it's funny that you were trying so hard with the hipster meme when you're the worst kind yourself

>le epik cuck meme
This is an 18+ website.

>cuck license
hahaha no

>>>/global/rules/2

>besides the fact that it lets people take it and make it proprietary very easily
>All programmers owe me free code!
>WAAAH!

>Fluxbox

youtube.com/watch?v=me-KVGNSdNo

Haven't, and doubt I ever will. I got a Linux job. Pays my bills.

But, you know, it's not exclusive or anything. I still have my BSDs and other obscure OSes on the side.

Have you ever used binary only manufacturer drivers in Linux or BSD? They are absolute shit. Much like the windows driver landscape that regard. Graphics drivers are about the best of them, and they're still awful.

So what you have left from vendors, are basically drivers from five companies big enough to donate full time employees to writing open source drivers. And then, they only do it for devices in the server space.

The only support manufacturers NEED to give is documentation. Most do that just fine.

The rest of it is on the community of users to get it done. Lucky that community often includes companies who need those drivers.

It's almost never the manufacturers who write the good drivers.

Since when do professors have any fucking clue what they're talking about? They say those who can't do, teach for a reason.

Linux is pretty comfy desu

Cred Forums Pass user since 460 BC.

When I needed a more reliable file system and os level virtualization, and conveniently enough pretty much nothing else

is there a version of linux that:

>has a graphic installer
>uses mate or 'older' style de
>doesn't come pre-installed with any software
>doesn't come with extra drivers/bloat
>no arch, gentoo, ubuntu, slackware, debian

?

>my OS is my waifu

wtf, why would you need a graphical installer when at the same time you don't want bloat?
just grab any net installer which is
>no arch, gentoo, ubuntu, slackware, debian

Debian is nasty. I don't get why it has such traction.

Basically the only reason anyone uses debian is the huge selection of packages.

>the most refined, feature full UNIX-like OS has no software

if you do not value the absolute power and capability of UNIX doesn't mean it is lacking

bsd.mp