Sup Cred Forums

Sup Cred Forums.

Normie with a high-end machine looking to switch to Linux. Give me some advice.

Also, is Archlinux really as god-like as Cred Forums makes it seem?

If you've never used GNU/Linux I recommend you start with Ubuntu. It will help familiarise you with the file system, terminal and explore many different DE/WM's, without worrying about issues. When you actually understand what you're doing wipe your hard drive and install Arch.

I've experimented with Linux in WM's for a while now, and I think I'm ready for the switch.
But why Arch?

Meant VM's not WM's of course.

have you decided on a WM or DE to use yet

archlinux with gnome 3 is the best thing to hit the propietarian market

Something along the lines of Cinnamon or KDE, so yes.

Noobuntu is so bloated

Yes. I like the AUR. Max comfy

I'm gonna need some more arguments than it being comfy. Why is it "the best"?

It's easy to install on all kinds of hardware. mh point was, if he was new, he might want to try lots of different software, why would you install arch and fuck it up with a million different versions of the same thing before you understand shit

ubuntu/debian is like a few people contributing to packages
aur is like anyone (like wikipedia), and it updates faster

AUR gives you THE most third party software support, if that matters

So what you're saying is that Arch has the best support?

AUR has both .rpm and .deb scripts :^)

Oh okay, that's a huge plus for me. I've heard it's quite the feat to inot all however. Any tips?

can ignore

>Also, is Archlinux really as god-like as Cred Forums makes it seem?
Yes, arch is the perfect distro for "normies".

>tips
Arch is not for newcommers. Install Antergos

Heck I actually want you to try ubuntu-based distros to get ready for Antergos and feel the difference

THIS
Even includes shit like "X" and "The GNU coreutils"
fucking normies man

There are tons of step by step guides out there for arch. The man thing is realizing that you need to manually do everything, from creating and formatting the partition to installing drivers. However, it's far easier than it sounds.

Well I've experimented with some Ubuntu based distros. And I'm a great problem solver. Should I be bold and just go for it anyways?

Try Manjaro.

Updates are slower than arch but if you're interested in seeing what arch has to offer you it's a good start.

Arch is nice because as long as you follow the guide, the installer works one hundred percent of the time. It's the ONLY install method I've had where I don't spend half my time getting it to run. Your results may vary, but that was my experience.

All packages it gets are usually pretty new from upstream after a brief testing period I believe. If you like getting new packages, then arch is pretty much the best. The repository system doesn't run into the same stupid shit debian does with testing, experimental, unstable, and dependency issues. Unfortunately if you're not careful that means you can end up with a bit of bloat, but it's not a big deal.

I think my favorite part is the AUR. I don't have to cluster fuck my system with PPAs to get packages I need, I don't need to clone the git repository and build it, I can search with yaourt and get what I need no questions ask. Most of the time, this is perfectly sufficient.

Arch is nice because you know what you put on your system and what you don't. So you don't end up with shit you barely use or whatever. It can be good for vidya because your driver's stay as up to date as Windows more or less. But of course with all these packages, you can run into issues. I've never run into an issue that wasn't user caused due to an experiment or two I was doing or the fault of Broadcom. I don't have to fuck about with apt pinning to get packages I need. It honestly just werks for me and I like that pacman is so good at remaining simple but powerful.

Otherwise look at Ubuntu mate, xubuntu, or maybe kubuntu if it isn't shit. Or Linux mint. I don't care for the mint philosophy though.

All of the shit posters claiming time sink and autism are red hat shills btw.

If you are comfortable with your package manager install antergos then.

If you know how to use a non-gui partition manager and vi, install Arch

Arch Linux is the superior choice for actual hackers like me. It's just *better*.

Rolling release.
Bleeding edge.
GODLY AUR.

If you're a hacker with an anime wallpaper like me, you'll choose Arch.

Let me quote from the FOSS encyclopedia for a moment (doing this from a links2 call inside ranger on i3, heh):

The design approach of the development team follows the KISS principle ("keep it simple, stupid") as the general guideline, and focuses on elegance, code correctness, minimalism and simplicity, and expects the user to be willing to make some effort to understand the system's operation.

Any questions?

No matter how long I have used Arch for in my life I never really felt the practicality of using a bare WM. I always used it with cinnamon

Thanks for the reply. I haven't even considered manjaro at first. I'll do some experimenting right away.

Well that really simplistic DE (can I even call it that?) You've got there does look rather nice. Source?

do not fall for the botnet trap
install gentoo

It's pretty superior if you feel comfortable with little linux and CLI and doesn't require 100% stability. It will break, but it happens rarely and it's easy to fix if you can read wiki. But it won't be good for server that require to have 100% uptime and use stable versions of programs. If you are not enough familiar with linux you should try xubuntu or mint first.

There is lot's of useful things in aur. There are lot's of configs, scripts, 3rd party programs, themes/icons/whatever, libraries. I don't think I have any software on my computer that isn't downloaded from AUR or official repositories, even doom and other games.
Without AUR you would have to build/download and update these programs on your own.

Sorry but every time I see someone post "install gentoo", everyone freaks out.
What's the deal?

>minimalism and simplicity
>systemd

Heh, you can call it that, kid. It *is* the KISS distro of choice, after all. *snorts*

Awesome. Learn it. Live it. Love it. Alt+Enter to spawn a new window and skyrocket your productivity, much? *

Shit hold on compton just threw a segfault

Alright. I'm back. So yeah. Really, though, you're going to need be willing to make some effort to understand the system's operation if you wanna install a twm (tiling window manager) like awesome. RTFM, stupid.

>normie
>god-like not god-tier

Also
>arch
>god-tier
Pick one.

Dude speak English.

That's called awesome window manager and it's not your traditional DE. It's actually a bit advanced stuff that takes time to learn

wrong, try again

GNOME is the only answer

Nah, I'd prefer if my desktop didn't look like it was made for tablets.

>so much wasted space

just get the mini.iso from ubuntu's network installer page and skip the last step of the installer

Cool! Might give it a shot some day!

It's space filled with hacker anime, noobuntu f*cktard

Why is the colour in the terminal messed up? I want black on white, not white on black.....

That's not the user of the terminal wants, you can make them look how you like user

>high end machine
>Linux
What a waste....

lmao I don't use ubuntu you fuckwit

But it's mine.....

Tell that to those supercomputer maintainers retard

How come? I'm sure there's something Linux can do to bring it to its knees.

>noobuntutard in denial
stick to your gooey installer kid

Just use debian if you're new to linux. It's not harder to use than ubuntu and is more lightweight.

thats not quite true

the only tablet *feature* i see is that installed programs grid view

there is a normal program list with categories

the meta key windows overview is super comfy and fast to work with

plus gnome does not crash a lot and itegrates nice with Qt

alright mate, come back when you learn to use Arch like I do.

Stop embarrassing yourselves.

this guy gets it.
never understood why people even bother with the *ubuntu stuff.
Debian is not really more complicated and shares the same package management anyway.

>I'm a great problem solver.
so, why can't you solve this little problem of if you should use this distro or not on your own?

Smart people learn from the mistakes of others

Not even OP

Yes, Arch is god-like but it shouldn't be your first Linux. Try Antergos or Manjaro first.

Information for this topic is already plenty available on the interwebs. There is no excuse for making this thread while trying to not look like someone who's actually piss-poor at problem-solving.

I'm aware that this information is out there, I just want others opinion.

tja alfons

Inte Alfons, men svensk är jag. :)

kurwa

Arch is a shit for schoolkids who tries to learn CLI. There're a lot of distros which are more suitable for everyday use and production.

Arch linux is for kids that have too much spare time on their hands. If you want to use your computer productively you should chooce something else. If you want to show off your sick config editing skills on places like Cred Forums, then by all means install Arch.

not really recommending arch, but i think arch is the normie distro for a slightly advanced linux distribution. the only hard part is the install process (for the first time), then it's the same as bareboned ubuntu.

after you know what you're doing, try gentoo for a bit customization around your system, or maybe exherbo and LFS, if you're into linux distribution.

>Falling for the linux meme
Enjoy no games and exploits, fucking idiots.

Has anyone tried installing KDE plasma on arch?
I've been trying today but there's no way to get the fn hotkeys to mute, adjust brightness, etc to work, or to configure the trackpoint which appears to be ignored by kde

in gnome everything worked right off the bat, even if it was uglier

>exploits

Go back to gaymerbabby

true hackers didn't use copycat theme, user.

shit i bit the bait

AUR, mostly.

Arch is needlessly complicated for retarded reasons. AUR is a security risk waiting to be exploited. The maintainers don't give a fuck about breakage.

Arch is basically just a strictly worse version of Debian sid.

AUR is git compile scripts: vanilla and official source

Pacman, the Arch Linux package manager, is probably the best linux package manager I've ever used. It's fast, much faster than apt (the Ubuntu/Debian package manager) much easier to use, and the AUR ensures that you're never going, "AWW THAT PACKAGE ISN'T AVAILABLE ON THIS DISTRO SO I HAVE TO DICK AROUND TO GET IT!"

AUR is as risky as compiling these programs on your own.

so, very?

Yes, and compiling random programs from the internet is fucking retarded, and especially so when you have to trust a third-party AUR maintainer who probably either doesn't know what he's doing or is actually malicious.

Yeah, that's why there is big red warning about it every time you install something from AUR. But if you don't care and want to install these programs anyway, Arch will help you do it.

Keep in mind AUR is not only shady programs no one use, but also well know software(proprietary too), and AUR helps you install them and keep them updated.

>well know software(proprietary too)
Those should have actual proper package maintainers instead of being shoved to AUR.

You are gonna get a lot of people telling you "user arch!" or "don't start with arch!" etc... I will say this, download the following linux distros and use the one that worls for you.

Arch
Manjaro
Ubuntu (I like mate personally but you choose between that and unity)

There are others you can try like open suse and so on as well. The worst case scenario if you don't like one is you back up your data and install a new one.

There are two I stay away from (because both caused me data loss) mint, and elementary os. I won't go into the details here but in my experience these two didn't work well.

But people, especially in open software don't do maintainers to every single library/program/thing they make. It would be impractical if all they usually have to do is download latest git and compile it or download latest release. AUR can do this fine.

What does the AUR do that any other distro doesn't do?

>Debian
>99.9% of all software you will ever need in main repos
>Arch
>65% of all software you will ever need in main repos
>25% of the remaining software in the insecure, largely unmaintained git install script repository known as the AUR, most of which are obscure forks of meme tiling wms like i3

Shill harder.

kill yourself with fire faggot

What about the other 10%?

It is unavailable.

i'm actually curious
what is this 99%?
i need some obscure package like ireport (jaspersoft) or intellij idea, i already found umbrello for my uml editor in debian but i couldn't find those two.
pls help.

>99.9% of all software you will ever need in main repos
>rust
>rustup
>unity editor
>Tor
>Atom
>lot's of libraries to mingw: mingw-w64-pkg-config mingw-w64-sdl2 mingw-w64-zlib
Few examples from AUR I use. I'm not 100% sure all of them are not available in official Debian repositories.

Gentoo and Arch are the only ones worth using. The other distros are just trash for people who are too stupid to follow the installation instructions.

There is literally no reason to use Manjaro or Antergos when Architecht and Arch Anywhere exists

>high-end machine
>for openoffice
stay in windows 7, dont waste ur time retard

>terminal
into the trash it goes

>source: my arse.

There is literally no reason to use Architect or Arch Anywhere when Arch exists

t. shitnux luser