CPU glued to heatsink

So I bought a 4 year old PC from a guy who said the only problem was CPU temps and noise. Hé showed me the PC benchmarking and it was fine, good performances. The CPU cooler did make a lot of noise.

So I bought it and got another cooling unit later that day.

Pic related is my problem, the CPU came off with the old heatsink. Heating it didn't work, using a small nylon thread to remove the glue didn't work. Any idea ?

>tldr: CPU is glued to heatsink, how to get it off safely ?

If it's stuck all you can use is force
So long as you don't damage the pins it should be okay.

Acetone?

pry with a knife

Heat and force.

Use a knife and cut between them. Try an exacto knife (don't force it dumbass, if it snaps off and flies into your eye, that's on you) or one of those flat utility knives you can extend which snap off in little sections.

Put it back into the computer, run a stress test for 5-10 minutes then try again.

put it back in mobo, launch something cpu-intensitive so that cpu will be a bit more hot, then turn your pc off and take out that cooler, safe and easy

The problem is that it's really stuck there good. I tried forcefully removing it but it doesnt work. Also I think if I try to prie it it might damage it, or sending it flying off and then damaging it.

Wouldnt that be damaging for the CPU ?

its not powered on so it wont probably damage it if it bounces a bit, try acetone or isopropyl alcohol if your a coward

People don't really understand this, but your actual CPU is underneath a large metal plate called the heat spreader. That flat metal square on the processor isn't actually the top of your processor, it's just a cap covering the chips and spreading the heat onto a flat surface so the heatsink has a decent size area to contact with.

Try getting some high-purity isopropyl alcohol (or some commercial thermal paste remover) in there to dissolve/loosen up some of the dried up shit-tier thermal gunk. Be careful you don't physically damage the pins, other than that isopropyl alcohol should be quite safe, even if you get it on the pins. It evaporates very quickly and if it's pure it pretty much won't leave anything behind, it's frequently used to actually clean contacts. Just be careful of physical damage.

I already tried to heat it up, but with a hairdryer (you can ses it in the pic). It didn't work (went up to 80°C)

I just use floss to slide it between and it'll come off.

Thanks, I'll try prying it open.

If prying it doesnt work Ill try that, thanks

Don't use floss, use thin guitar string or a cheese cutter.

Why not floss? I'll highly doubt that OP will have a guitar string or cheese cutter on him.

>If prying it doesnt work Ill try that, thanks
You should probably try both at the same time, it's unlikely that isopropyl alcohol will immediately and completely loosen it up, it probably won't even be able to reach the center at first. I imagine you'd have to slowly and carefully work your way in with a knife, by prying or maybe with a nylon thread as you've already tried.

So, the knife doesnt even slide in there. As for wires I already tried nylon threads and it didn't work either.
I think my only grace would be acetone now

How did you get it off without unlatching it?

Isopropyl, not acetone.

just fucking rip it off

use a hammer insert the knife

Is it actually glue, or just dried up TIM?

I feel like this shit happens with AMD chips. It did the same thing to me without unlatching. Luckily it didn't damage the CPU.

Your best bet is to put it back on the board, run it full blast for a few minutes, turn it off and then twist it off.

ur top 3 right corner pins are bent.

Goodjob. Throw it away.

It is an AMD chip yes

Fuck if I know what the madman put there. Might as well be dried semen

Right, thanks !

Do you begin every fucking sentence with "So" ? Fucking millennials

This can happen to any PGA CPU.

Heat up the cooling fins with a hairdryer, not the bottom of the CPU. Keep this until you feel that the bottom of the cooler gets very hot, too, and then try to "rotate" the CPU. This usually worked for me.

Sorry mate, not a native speaker. It's something we do here.

Shit you're right. I suppose bending them back is out of the question ?

If you're EXTREMELY careful you can bend them back fine, but they may break off. I ran a 945 Phenom before with 6 missing pins, still stayed OC'd at 4.1ghz.. Just be careful.

Time to do some precision work then. I'm not on a budget or anything, if I really fuck up I'll just buy a new CPU

just lay the cpu side on a table (edge), then hit the cooling block with a sure strike (not too hard though). have someone around you to catch the cpu before it falls off the table (if it happens)
gl

Heat a piano string and dice it.

Put it in an isopropyl alcohol bath.

This is thermal adhesive. It's basically thermally conductive glue, usually in pad form.

It's never easy to get off and people have destroyed CPU sockets trying.

The general answer is to heat it to loosen it and then try and pry it off being careful not to damage the CPU.

Now that you know the name "thermal adhesive", start googling for guides on how to remove it.

>put it back in mobo, launch something cpu-intensitive so that cpu will be a bit more hot
Do this, and while the PC is still on, wiggle the heatsink a little, just rotate it slightly left and right. Then turn the PC off and keep going as before.

Be careful not to scratch the CPU (well, the heat spreader really but same thing for your purposes), that will make it harder to cool later. Scratching the heatsink is fine though because you're tossing that.

>Is it actually glue, or just dried up TIM?
It's both probably. Thermal adhesive.
Also, old dried out thermal paste can basically be glue but that's probably not what this is.

>Shit you're right. I suppose bending them back is out of the question ?
If you're careful, it's fine. Done that multiple times.

>lay the cpu side on a table (edge), then hit the cooling block with a sure strike (not too hard though). have someone around you to catch the cpu before it falls off the table (if it happens)
Not a bad idea.
Put some clothes in a bucket under the CPU to catch it.

>buying amdumb
lol

Hairdryer. Don't use force

Twist it gently like an oreo, not joking.

t. server technician

IT Engineer here.

This is the right way to do it.

Hammer and a something that isn't sharp. Hit one of the corners but be careful with the pins. You don't even need that much force and it should come off easy.

>buying AMD

found your problem

if you didn't bend any pins take a heat gun on lowest setting and pry it off with something plastic

don't let it go flying

Guy who twisted a CPU off of a heatsink before here. Do this.

If it is flaking off like that, you can get it off. Use flathead screwdriver and wedge it inbetween the heatspreader and heatsink and tap it with a hammer until it comes loose. Might need to be done on all 4 sides to crack the dried TIM.

>implying the TIM is still moist and not dried cement

Good luck twisting that shit off, might break the socket if its completely dried.

Had issue with old processor exactly like this. Wedged a flathead between proc and heatsink. Still worked.

Classic AMD, imagine my shock when it happened to me.

Try twisting it, if that doesn't works get some isopropyl alcohol and spray it so it can get between the heatsink and the cpu's heatspread.

If twisting it doesn't work you're most likely to end bending some pins anyway, that shit will either come out nicely or flying.

Used to happen all the time with P4 and AMD chips. The whole thing would come out exactly as in OP. When Intel changed to having pins on the motherboard instead and the CPU locked onto the board the problem went away but AMD probably still have the same issue.

It does indicate a good seal between heatsink and spreader.

Usually i would just put the flat of a screwdriver between the outer lip of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink and gently rotate and the thing would pop free (wellington boot in deep mud effect) but AMD have removed that little lip in later CPU casings so cheesewire is probably your best bet now.
A twisting motion will have a better chance of loosening it by the way rather than a straight pull.

Freezing it might work as well.

drop it in bleach and chlorine then use a straw to blow bubbles into it. try heating it up a bit should come right off its what we use at the office

That may be the least of your problem, user.

if you were trying to remove the heatsync from the CPU and it was attached to the motherboard, you likely broke the retention mechanism that holds the chip in place.

>I did this once

>heatsync
Where can I get this? My screenshots would be much nicer if temps were synced.

Bye

Don't do this, you'd end up with chlorine gas, killing yourself

why not use some thin nylon cord?

you could dip your cord in some thermal paste cleaner too. just don't force it or rush it.

I did, it's in the OP.

Update here: I cant wedge anything in there, and heating it up doesnt do anything. Going to try the alcohol méthode. I'll get a better CPU monday anyway.

Tap the side gently but repeatedly to create a vibrating force with a small hammer
Then apply twisting and pushing force and it will pop off.

but did you dip it in some paste cleaner/alcohol or something like that?

This is what happens when you don't change thermal for several years. With that said, I have not changed mine in like 3 years.

Gonna have a good ole time in a while.

>look the processor
>is a AMD processor

HAHAHAHAH! BTFO!

Submerge it into some solvent, no acids tho. Acetone or turpentine should work.

is probably right. The PO was probably a dumbass and used some epoxy shit.

Seems like taking an angle grinder or sawzall to the heatsink and then sanding everything down to the IHS may be the best option if you really want to recover the existing cpu.

How the fuck could this happen? Was the seller an idiot by any chance?

>mfw my 8 years old C2D is still with the stock thermal adhesive (running good and not overheating)
This thread makes me wonder what would happen if I tried to replace this cooler.
I've just bought an i3 to replace it, though.

so did you shoot it with your gun already or are you still being a fucking retard, OP?

Had many processors with bent legs. They easily be bent back. Not a problem

sure sure, it's no problem until that one time when it it.

having a spare is never a bad idea

91% alcohol and dental floss.

>sorry mate
>sorry
>so
YOU DID IT AGAIN!

rebending cpu pins is easy
rebending LGA pins is fuck hard

Dude. Hammer fixes it. I've done this many times before.

they're not wrong, ive done the same thing to an AMD chip of mine when i accidentally pulled it out of the socket with the heat sink. Woooorst case-er than that is to try sliding it off the heatsink.

As long as it doesn't throttle who cares. Just replace the shitty 60mm fan with a 90mm one and it will be quieter.

Yes as it's probably thermal adhesive and clearly not meant for the job.

Wiggle it left and right OP and you can use quite bit of force on the heatspreader if needed. The heatspreader is very sturdy, fiberglass PCB and pins underneath not so much. If you are able to clamp the heatspreader only(without touching the PCB) between a wrench or any arm to give you more torque to twist it, it should easily.

try this OP

Get a block of wood and a mallet. Do this on a surface where the CPU won't bend pins when it comes free.

Yeah this should work well assuming the IHS comes right at the edge of the fiberglass PCB or if the block you use only touches the IHS. Delidded my CPUs with that method.

Delidded is good if it's undamaged. You can put some good paste on and cool the sucker right down.

Don't pull it up vertically. Rotate it

OP I don't know if you already got your solution, but look at the posts I replied to

I had to deal with a PC earlier this year that had an athlon x2 all the way back from when it was new, had never had its paste changed

just wiggle it back and forth, and if needed, get some floss and dip it in alcohol and try to thread it through

but just wiggle it off, otherwise you'll just fuck your shit

gently twist/wiggle it, try to push it off an edge until you have enough leverage to gently peel it back

He said safely

Do you guys see the importance of refreshing you thermal paste now

That being said, you still don't want to mar the heat spreader too bad because its relative flatness is your thermal interface. Using a big dull knife to pry could leave significant burrs on the edges that prevent good contact. Be careful still.

Cum on it

You need a simple syringe from a pharmacy and some alcohol. Inject a little in between it with the needle to dry out the glue quicky. Don't use heavy prying force, instead use a razorblade to slowly slip it under and cut the dried glue clean

TWIST HARDER NIGGA

Not your personal tech support. Fuck off

if sequential digits op rams it up his ass

Get the thermal lube OP

Do it now

OP. There is a type of thermal paste that is actually thermal epoxy. Its just as cheap as normal paste, and looks just like normal paste to plebs except that its in two parts, but will wreck your shit just like in your pick.
Google how to remove "thermal epoxy"

you only need a super small size of thermal paste, why do they sell it to you in a large syringe?
are you suppose to keep them for future use or something?
I'm looking to clean my cpu fan cause it's overheating but I don't want to pay so much for something i use a pea size dot for.
that and I'm afraid to pull my heatsink off my cpu cause of all the horror story I'm seeing.

I also don't want to buy rubbing alcohol for a one time wipe for the cpu

Leatherman squirt?

soften it with alcohol first

The image I posted is of the epoxy thermal paste.. its the kind that almost permanently glues a heat sink to the cpu, you as a consumer DO - NOT - USE this epoxy type.
You use NORMAL thermal paste.

The pictures is a larger quantity than a normal person will buy, the larger tubes are for system builders and other autists that go through a shit ton of thermal paste.
The >3.5 gram tubes that you would buy (for about $5 usd) are allot smaller than they appear in the picture. I Thought I was getting the larger tubes I keep seeing, but I got the 3.5G tube and its the size of the tip of my pinky. Its enough for a few applications.

You should be able to remove the senpai and blow out the heat sink without taking it off of the cpu, but the thing about thermal paste is that it dries up over the years. When I upgraded my pc, I took the old heat sink off and the thermal paste actually had a clay consistency and crumbled as I wiped it off.

>you dont want to buy alcohol for one use
It always amazes me that people dont stock this stuff. I always keep some, its useful for so much stuff. Rubbing alcohol good for cleaning shit, its a solvent so it can break up stuff that is difficult to get off. Its the best way to clean out a wound, perfect antiseptic. Its my first go to for anything that needs cleaned off, second go to is hot water.
Oh, its also cheap as fuck. less than two dollars for a few months supply at the rate I use.. it should last you a long time.
Note: as a solvent, you don't want to get it on everything. It will melt some plastic, and it will take ink off of stuff you otherwise would want ink on, like a videogame label.

good advice, I'll look into it. should be able to clean it off myself in the next few days once I get all the needed items.

Get a bucket that fits the cpu+cooler in. Place the CPU+cooler in the bucket, CPU side up. Pour acetone until it precisely reaches the glue. Let it sit for some minutes. Remove the CPU. If it's still glued, the acetone didn't reach it. Add more and try again

Are you sure he didnt stick it on with that thermal conductive epoxy shit meant for GPUs? If he did you are never ever getting it off. What cpu is it? Cant be that expensive to replace seeing as its an AMD.

Looks like he has got a bit on the heatsink fins, try cutting through that to see if it is in fact the epoxy based paste.

That's the first thing that came to mind for me as well.

Soak the nylon in acetone and try it again.

Just be careful not to get the acetone on anything that isn't the metal or the glue.

We do this all the time here at Microsoft

>thermal adhesive and clearly not meant for the job
Of course it's meant for the job, it's what lots of stock coolers come with.

It's not meant to be removed but it's definitely meant to go on heat sinks and stick them to the CPU.

>as a consumer DO - NOT - USE this epoxy type
It's fine for consumers, it's just not for enthusiasts who are likely to change their cooler or thermal compound every now and then.

>It's fine for plebs, it's just not ...
fixed that, and now that I think about it you're probably right but Id still have to advise against it on the off chance something weird happens like then somehow break the cup, or they would need to replace their fan and for some reason they cant find a replacement fan with the same mounting holes so they'd have to replace the heat sink too - which would then be unremovable.

Can you not just get a quieter fan on that heatsink?

>so the heatsink has a decent size area to contact with.
that's not the reason though.

Nothing would happen because LGA sockets have cpu retainer brackets that ensure the CPU does not come off attached to the heatsink.

All it would take is a twist of the heatsink.

This is why I prefer intel.

gently clamp the cpu sides with something and twist the heatsink.

aren't AMD chips soldered to the IHS?

>Hé
are you a spic or a frog, op?

kek

Dental Floss

how is artic silver 5 in 2016? i've been using it on my fx8350 for like 1-2 years so far

TWIST HARDER

Soak it in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol for 3 days.

no, that's certain intel ones

Hammer and chisel should do the trick unless you use them wrong.

>I ran a 945 Phenom before with 6 missing pins, still stayed OC'd at 4.1ghz.. Just be careful
like half the pins are power, you can *probably* do with losing some of those.

>You should be able to remove the senpai and blow out the heat sink without taking it off of the cpu

What if I don't want to remove senpai?

>that prevent good contact.
Yes, it is.

>he bought 2nd hand hardware from another neckbeard 'enthusiast'
Lmao the only reason he sold it is because he probably tried to unmount his cpu and couldn't either. Probably soldered on his cooler for maximum efficiency.

ATTENTION NIGGERFAGGOTS

The correct way to resolve this situation is to heat the heatsink on the stove to soften the thermal paste. The CPU will slide off easily after a while.

For future, you might want to run the pc for a short while before attempting to remove the heatsink.

Only use force if it's a thermal pad instead.

what the fucking shit?
I said fan, and Im not a weeb. I never type the word "senpai"..

Oh, I must have had a type and said famalam
test: senpai

You are still a weeb desu senpai.

How much does Bosch pay you for product placement on Cred Forums, shill?

twist it.

I dont even like anime and I'm not a fan of japanese culture, by definition I am not a weeb.

>you only need a super small size of thermal paste, why do they sell it to you in a large syringe?
For people who build computers more than once every X years? Normally you can get tiny doses that are just enough to cover one use, pretty much.

Also, you should avoid using too little thermal paste, user. Don't underestimate how much you need to fully cover the IHS.

No idea if OP got it off, but here's the method I'd use:

1) Twist it off.

If the paste is so hardened that it won't twist off with reasonable force, then I'd do this:

1) Set it on the desk next to me, pins up, probably at a slight angle.

2) Get 90% isopropyl alcohol and some Q-Tips.

3) Dip the Q-Tip in the alcohol, run it along the edges of the chip, let some pool up on the higher end.

4) Give it time to dissolve the thermal paste.

5) Twist it off.

I don't think I've ever had a heat sink pull free from the CPU while leaving the CPU mounted to the mobo. And I've had a few reluctant bondings, but never permanent.

To straighten pins, I use some needle-nose pliers. I've never had any subsequent problems after straightening pins.

it's an angle grinder...

Twist the cpu

That's just what a weeb would say t b h f a m desu senpai.

Rip it off with a screw driver

Tools Required:
x1 Flathead Screwdriver
x1 Hammer

Place the flathead between teh cpu and heatsink and gently tap the handle of the flathead with the hammer to pry the cpu loose.

Vice.
Open vice wide enough to fit cpu but not cooler.
Place cpu inside vice jaw.
Tighten vice down until snug. Stop as soon as there is resistance.
Apply rotational or impact force to cooler.
Profit.

why are you on Cred Forums then? you're like a straight guy who goes on faggot.com/forum/tech and boasts to everyone how he's not a fag.
what's the point when you can browse better forums for normies?

OP could delid the CPU, could he not? Could damage it, but so could prying off the glued on heatsink.

>niggerfaggots
now is that really necessary

floss? shitll melt yo

your like /mlp/ not staying on their board
you're like Cred Forums thinking this is their tech support board.
Liking anime isnt a requirement to visit a site that has non-anime boards.

Its like going to the m4m section of craigslist and trying to buy a stereo and then getting pissy and saying "if your not selling shit why are you here"

>Liking anime isnt a requirement to visit a site that has non-anime boards.
this is an anime site. Cred Forums is nothing more than a board for anime ppl to talk about tech. Cred Forums is not somehow separate from Cred Forums, an anime site.

like i said, normies should just fuck off and find a board for normies if they hate anime and anime fans so much. try plebbit.

>non-anime boards.

low-tier bait, there is no "non-anime board" on this site.

anyone who argues otherwise hasn't been here long enough to hold an opinion.

back to tumblr, pls

Niggerfaggot.

What's wrong? It's text.

You really just gotta heat it up really good and twist. I've only ever had one get stuck using ac5 in the phenom II days for like 2-3 years. Took a while to heat it up really good but then it twisted off alrite.

OP If you still haven't removed the heatsink there's no choice but to grind it down to the cpu. You're not losing anything anyway, you said you have the money to replace it.

I'd use a belt grinder probably. Then slowly chip away when you're just above the cpu.

If he's replacing the heatsink and replacing the CPU, what point would there be in aforementioned grinding?

try tossing it in the freezer over night? and then pry it off?

I'm not saying that he'll fuck it up, it could work out alright. Either way, just another reason to know what to do if it happens in the future.

Take a plastic card (not your bank card), take a hammer, knock CPU off using them.

Get a syringe of acetone and spray it with acetone.

>and Im not a weeb. I never type the word "senpai"..
Maybe not but you just proved you are definitely a newfag

Phenom + AMD chips have soldered IHS`. Only AMD CPU I`ve confirmed not soldered are athlon 64 era chips. Intel reserves the premium soldering process to only their X series and enterprise chips.

it looks like glue to me. Some silicone based one, lol

just put some isopropyl alcohol in there and let seep in. epik bantz from the seller tho if its actual glue

jesus fuck, i thought the thumbnail was an accordion

Tweest it off or alternatively put a knife blade between the pcb and copper and very gently turn the blade up in a 45 degree angle. I use goo gone to remove thermal paste, but alcohol works (less effectively) and acetone.

No. It isn't. Twist it and it should come off.

>It's fine for consumers
>>It's fine for plebs
>fixed that

>consumers = plebs
I think we're on the same page.

>aren't AMD chips soldered to the IHS?
Yes. Most intel fill the void with thermal compound which is less thermally conductive than solder. It's cheaper though.

>how is artic silver 5 in 2016?
Arctic (not silver) is apparently better these days. There are even better pastes on the market but you're talking liquid metal and shit and that's far down the rabbit hole.

C'MON OP UPDATE

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME

>what the fucking shit?
>I said fan
You mistyped and wrote f.a.m.

Newfag.

This, i want to know if OP fucked up everything

I just came in this thread, I want to know how it ended.

i just came to your mom, thats how it ended