/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hashworks/srrdb-Terminal-Client)
youtube.com/shared?ci=bWNXaB64Nco
youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Security
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
thehecklers.org/2015/02/27/how-to-connect-raspberry-pi-to-hidden-ssid/
help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE
linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_kde_whatsnew.php
wiki.debian.org/MacBook
itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/165447/turning-off-power-to-usb-port-or-turn-off-power-to-entire-usb-subsystem
linux.com/blog/disable-enable-usb-terminal
launchpad.net/~rebuntu16/ archive/ubuntu/avidemux unofficial
raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Trisquel.

Arch vs gentoo GO!

I find gentoo overall better because it isn't infected by systemd cancer. Sure, it's in the repos, but it's completely optional to use. Arch linux on the other hand force it by default and say fuck you to any help if you don't want to use systemd.

Anyone with any sense would know the answer to this without any hesitation.

>Look mom I called systemd cancer again!

I thought this thread was supposed to be friendly asshole? I asked a simple question.

It is cancer, lennart.

Asking again from old thread:
Do I need to configure inet1.conf and WPA_Supplicant.conf when when using wicd or NetworkManager?

Why does AMD have such shit driver support for their cards? Why are they making it so difficult to choose them over nvidia when its a nightmare on Linux?

This may be kind of a weird question but I'm using srrdb-terminal (github.com/hashworks/srrdb-Terminal-Client) to find and fill missing files from mp3 scene releases. I'm very new to linux but I figured out if I run srrdb -d * it will search a directory recursively against srrdb and download the missing files but how can I have the program to download the missing files to the appropriate directory?
For example at the moment I have /mp3 containing the releases so it looks like; /mp3/shitty_psytrance01 /mp3/shitty_psytrance02
when I run srrdb it scans shitty_psytrance01-02 but it downloads the files to /mp3 and not the corresponding directories.

How was that rude or unfriendly? This is a friendly thread my friend, no need for nasty words or stupid questions.

Well what's your view on Arch and gentoo?

Only Wintards use AMD.

My previous answer still stands.

No.

Lads, I've seen I'm not the only one with this problem: I have a lenovo with a trackpoint I'd like to use but the sensibility is shit and I can't use the scrolling function, gpointing-device-settings doesn't affect anything and gives the error:
"An X error occurred. The error was BadAtom(invalid Atom Parameter)" I've googled this shit but I couldn't find a solution

then there's no real way to crank up the sensibility of it, I'm in xfce4 and it offers a setting for it, but barely makes a difference

What lol

From "The Linux Command Line" linked in the OP

How the flying fuck do I install arc-flatabulous with terminal (or any gtk theme)? I'm new to fedora and I'm questionable about using fedy.

>download theme
>unpack either to /usr/share/themes or ~/.themes
>select in your theme configuration tool of choice

I just got myself Xubuntu how do I get started, how do I install shit , how do I delete shit? I vaugely remember linux mint had some kind of meta program manager does it exist in Xubuntu?

Thanks for the response, but I've extracted the github file into user/.local/share/themes and it didn't show up in tweak tool. There wasn't anything there originally, so I made a new folder called themes and extracted it into there. And I don't see a ~/.themes folder in my directory

Will I ever need to configure inet1.conf and WPA_Supplicant.conf?

>user/.local/share/themes
That isn't where he told you to extract to.
>I don't see a ~/.themes folder in my directory
Create one then. But it is hidden because of the dot before the name, make sure you have hidden files showing.

It didn't work because that's the whole repository with a bunch of non-theme related shit.
Take the "Common" directory and put that into the themes directory (but rename it first to Arc-Flatshit or something.

Perhaps. Maybe someone will break into your house, pull a gun on you and shoot you if you don't configure inet1.conf and WPA_Supplicant.conf in 30 seconds.

I meant if I'm going to use wicd or NetworkManager, will there ever come a need to configure inet1.conf and WPA_Supplicant.conf?

Don't use a program manager to do that. The command line is your friend.

I don't know. I've been using NetworkManager for 2 years now and never had to touch any configuration files (apart from one time on Ubuntu to make my ethernet interface managed by NM).
I don't recommend using wicd at all, because it's practically abandoned and not keeping up with NetworkManager.

I tried to install gnome desktop on Linux now I'm looking at pic related, which is just an orange Linux terminal... Help me I'm new to this

I'm running Linux mint and followed youtube.com/shared?ci=bWNXaB64Nco

Get rid of Mint, it's broken. Start over with Ubuntu.

Last stable release was back in january.

How can I make the text on the panel darker in plasma? I'm trying out the papirus theme and it's quite nice except for the fact that I can barely read the text in the panel.

Alright, so I created the ~/themes folder, renamed the common folder, then pasted it in and it worked! But for some reason, while the name of the common folder appears in tweak tool, the theme itself doesn't change anything. I installed arc to see if it was a problem with my system, but it worked like it was supposed to. Is there something else I should try? Thanks again for the help my dudes.

Install a theme from your package manager if you want to test something. Maybe you're missing a package or something.

How would I go about switching Linux distros in a dual booted Windows 10 system?

It's kde. Deal with it. The only working theme is breeze light. Every other theme is glitched in some way. And if you try to fix something you break 100 other things. (customizable my ass. )

What complete nonsense.

Try building the actual theme as described on the website.
I suggest you look into package creation for your distribution, because doing "make install" will just throw files arbitrarily around your file system, with no easy way to remove them later automatically.

>tfw using a desktop file for vim which enables you do open text files from your file manager without having to install gvim

Feels neat.

>Mfw watching peoples distros shit the bed constantly while my Arch installation, which people meme about being hard to install and always breaking, works with no problems and was piss easy to install with Arch Anywhere

You can't change the color of the text in the panel. You need to change the color that get assigned to the panel. This change the color on other element on the ui. So now you have the taskbar ok, and the other ui element with the contrast fucked up. Good luck with that.

second for based distro

I've now completely remove windows from all my computers

I have no sound, but I'm on my way to fix it (fucking alsa/pulseaudio, always buggy with non intel hardware)

>always buggy with non intel hardware)

I'm using a SoundBlaster Audigy card which I found basically in the trash and it works fine, without any issues.

Try starting your DM manually or your DE session directly.
>xinit

SoundBlaster reminds me of „Balls of steel“.

>Kernel update
Oh boy, here we go

>tfw you need to reboot which sets your glorious uptime back to zero ;_;

I've read somehwere you can update the kernel without rebooting, anyone knows more?

>glorious uptime
grow up

>not being obsessed with numbers
get out normalfag

10 minutes uptime babby spotted

Why are there 7 terminals?
Why not 3?
Why not 1?

hey /fglt/, windows is being a little piece of shit right now

basically, when I decided to dual-boot into arch, i partitioned half of my 2tb hdd and set it off for arch.

now i went back to my windows and cleared about 570gb out of the 900 it has total.

i am at their proprietary formatting disk partitions software and i wanna shrink the volume by 570 but it tells me there isnt enough disk space available to do that

i tried doing 500 instead of the 570 available but it doesnt work

any help?

Open the command line and write:
sudo apt-get install nameOfTheThing

'sudo' stand for "do it ad super user (administrator, kinda)"
'apt-get install' stand for "plz package manager install it"
And 'nameOfTheThing' is the nane of the package (you can find it online, usually)

sudo apt-get remove package
Remove the package

sudo apt-get update
Update

Well, you got it by now

So say I'm in a new distro and I'm not sure the specific name of, for example, a picture viewer so I can open a file via terminal. What would be the best way to find the name of default programs? Is searching the internet the only way, or is there something I can do in the terminal?

hey Cred Forums, what's the best lightweight and user friendly distro for daily use?

xdg-open file

Manjaro i3.

Awesome, thanks

This is really stupid but I'd love to get help for it.

I am new to Linux and managed to install Arch on my Chromebook. Now what I want to do is as follows:

As soon as I log in I want it to automatically start xorg so I log in to my WM. I managed to get this working but ONLY as root. I guess it won't work for normal users because it needs su access to run.

I've done a lot of reading on the Arch wiki and have been trying to fix this problem for three days now, but I can't find a solution. Could anyone pls halp?

>root starting xserver
NEVER DO THIS
use xinit and make xinit run on tty1 by default through bashrc.

Be carful with running programs as root that usually don't need root. It can end up in a permissions hell.

Happend to me with awesomewm, started it as root, didn't work anymore as normal user. Problem was: configs 'n shit were saved with root privs.
Maybe this happend to you? Window managers don't need root.

the one I'm using

I've never had problems with kernel updates except when I was building my own kernels. Never really understood why people are so scared about them.

ebin maymay

>root starting xserver
Yep, that's what I did. I also used xinit to start it though.

>Maybe this happend to you?

That may actually be the case. However, I know i3 doesn't need root acces to run, but doesn't xserver need root acces?

It's hard for me to pin-point the exact problem in this situation.

There can many more or less.
epic meme

So for me Fedora has been always sort of decent.

However in real life most people that use a linux distro use Debian and despise Ubuntu, they don't consider any alternatives and they don't even know what arch is. Specially older people.

How come Debian is so popular?

Anyone with sense knows what some random user thinks about Arch and Gentoo ?

Ok, user. Sure.

If it's the permissions problem, chown you:you your files. (run ls -la to see file owners)

Then just drop exec i3 into your xinitrc and start X with "startx". The autologin is in your bashrc, right?

2/10, needs more buzzwords

um what I use wicd.

bump

also another question: if i defrag (on windows) my 2tb hdd that has half of it dedicated to linux, will windows fuck up the linux installation with the defrag?

the half of my 2tb hdd is my home directory and my root is on my ssd

like?

Do you even know what a defrag is?

I have sound with mpd but nowhere else :/

What do ?

speaker-test -c 2 works

pulseaudio -k

I'm currently using Hyperterm. How long before we get an OS built on js?

>>How come Debian is so popular?
it has been around forever, has a decent community, is not "based on", offers several release models, is a community project...

a serious and stable distro with up-to-date packages :^)

Can anyone recommend a good display manager for xubuntu? I would like something minimal and simple.

I think I'm being a retard here but is there any way to change the blue highlighting color in Plasma?

none

>So for me Fedora has been always sort of decent.
and there your opinions go down the drain

>chown you:you your files
Which files do I need to make my own? Running ls -la shows that everything is owned by root

>drop exec i3 into your xinitrc
This is in there

>and start X with "startx"
I can do that but I want startx to be executed as soon as I log in by normal user account

> autologin is in your bashrc, right?
It is, yes.

Thanks for helping me user

nothing happen :

$ pulseaudio -k
$

Good enough for Linus :^)

but i would still like a password protected login

clearly i dont
i dont trust windows to not fuck my shit up either

welcome to Linux

at least mpd works :D

linus has no idea what he's doing
inb4 memes, watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s

neighter, slackware

defrag only works on partitions, not the entire harddrive (unless the whole drive is just 1 partition, but then I wouldn't know how you gave half of it to Linux)

you still have that. do you maybe need a lockscreen rather?

okay thanks that makes me less worried

the information that the defrag program doesnt show just makes me more annoyed at windows

What's the advantage to using something like Fedora, Debian or Arch vs Ubuntu Gnome or Kubuntu?

I'm starting to really like GNOME but I don't know if I should jump ship from Ubuntu yet.

Which backend on mpd? Alsa?

Try raising the volume (and/or unmute) on pulse (sounds retarded, but happens a lot).

Hi

Install Virtualbox
Install ALL distros with ALL DEs
Descide for yourself
or just install the one I'm using.

If Ubuntu just werks for you then there's really no need to change distro, different distros basically just treat their package managers and release models differently.

You can only defrag something like drive D:, which is a partition.
It's not ambitious at all.

Can someone please tell me which browser I should be using with my linux distro? I am currently using Konquerer (KDE ) is that cool? Do I need any privacy plugins for it or should I just disable javascript?

which one is that?
Woah, I didn't even know about this until you just told me. Holy fuck. This will save me hours. Thanks dude.

konquerer feels like proprietary bullshit

basically the Cred Forums meme is: sjwfox or botnet chrome

>should
the one you want, this is GNU/Linux after all.
that said, i personally enjoy firefox aurora/dev

Anyone?

how to make mpd run on boot in Void linux?

I use alsa yes.

So every player that use alsa works.

I have no sound on firefox and on mpv.

>Woah, I didn't even know about this until you just told me. Holy fuck. This will save me hours. Thanks dude.

Then why the fuck do you feel the need to "jump ship" from Ubuntu? E-penis?

I chose CentOS just because there seem to be way more jobs which mention it compared to other distros during my research

It seems to work absolutely perfectly

The sad truth is: Currently all browsers are shit. 2 suggestions: GNU Icecat is a good browser after disabling librejs (basically Firefox with sane defaults), or Firefox Nightly (which needs some about:config tweaking to be secure).

>Do I need any privacy plugins for it or should I just disable javascript?
Just don't install flash.

i see. so if i disable my display manager and boot up my computer. all i would get is a blank screen with a cursor?

Keep in mind package managers are sort of important. So it's important that you feel comfortable with a specific system and you learn to choose the one that's more convenient for you.

Ubuntu -is- enough in most cases to get whatever you want running but if you do run into trouble don't keep yourself from trying others. More than trying debian, try fedora and arch if you want, as ubuntu is based on debian and all you're getting is a cleaner version without canonical and PPAs.

Also don't take other people's opinions on arch too seriously. You have a lot of people with superiority complex using it, and a lot of people just shitting on it because of the fact. Just try it if you want.

But if I use JS then Ill get like 40 trackers at a time. Does that ice browser have any sort of adblocking software?

Thank you for your feedback

Internet Explorer

no, you get a terminal that asks you to put in name and password. then after logging in you either type startx or you make startx run aut9omatically for your user in one of the ttys through bashrc

i didn't know whether i should be using ubuntu since everyone has their esoteric opinions on here about everything else. but i never knew about virtualbox and that i can test everything without needed to waste a lot of time.

What is your opinion regarding centOs?

you mean icecat? that should protect you by default actually.

thanks for the help.

What distro you use barely makes any difference in how you actually use your PC, that's what the desktop environment and window manager is for.

Install ublock orgin buddy. Speeds up the firefox, blocks all tracking crap and ass ads.

solid for servers, no packages in the repos, obviously older software because of the stability.

I have a backup drive on linux that I also share with Windows. For some reason all of the files are marked as executable and I can't change them in the GUI or in the with chmod. Like, I'll uncheck the box and it just rechecks itself.

What's going on?

I am pretty sure Icecat has uBlock preinstalled

gnome 3.22 on arch WHEN??

tumblefags already have it

i thought there was some advantage of security/privacy that makes all these other distros so popular. it seems like it's just straight up ego now.

>tumblefags already have it
???

>he fell for the arch meme

opensuse

Pulseaudio use my mic as output, firefox is working but it seems that the wrong device in outputing.

/5
Nice blog

dmix

What do you mean nice blog? I dont understand ?

Is debian testing still the more recommended version of debian for the average user?

More than stable? sure

I use apulse (emulate pulseaudio for alsa) while I try to figure the problem

I feel dirty

I'm using foobar2000 under wine as my main media player

I know, but the linux music player's I've tried either

a) have a terrible interface that doesn't resize properly
see: clementine

or

b) don't have a good phone remote app
see: mpd (with whatever client)

Hey guys go send @DanielCaniel on quotev hate please

first time Ubuntu use here, what's the recommended anti virus to use?

So I downloaded and extracted icecat into a folder. I literally have no idea how to execute it ... wtf I do now

Do I have to build it or something? wtf do I type in? the instrcutions on the installation page just got to the extract part.

wtf help pls =[

common sense 2017

I can't seem to find it in the app store

use your fucking package manager you dip shit

soundcloud wants me to install flash - is there anyway around this?

Don't use it

is ext4 still the recommended fs for SSDs? has that changed recently?

Same as .
Is there a image viewer which can be configured to open as full screen everytime?
What is a good program to find duplicate pics, mainly rescales?

Use the mobile version

any fs

folder name

wat

I hate TiMidity++ so much, it never fucking works. Is there any way to test if it's working properly. I installed it and it gave me no error, but when I try to do something that uses midi, it work play any of the music.

Any security guide/book for Linux ?

Is there any way to check if your Wifi keeps losing connection because of the WIfi itself or your hardware configuration? I'm at a place with shitty Wifi signal but I don't know if it's my laptop that keeps dropping the ball or not.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Security

there is clamav, but you shouldn't really need to worry about it unless you still use windoze.

findimagedupes -R --program=/usr/bin/IMAGEVIEWER /PORNDIRECTORY

install findimagedupes on your machine via package manager, then run this, changing the obvious to fit your needs.

the way i do this is let findimagedupes scan the directory, then it will open the image viewer with the first batch of dupes, delete the ones you want, then exit out of viewer only, then it should open the next batch. rinse and repeat.

A little convoluted but it werks for me. Not sure how others do it, could make a script that automatically deletes the lower res pics maybe, but my archive is messed up sometimes and that's not a guarantee.

As for the image viewer problem, dunno, I just use default ones, there is gThumb which is sometimes recommended but haven't really given it a shot.

How can I add a proprietary module to Linux-libre?

I want to use a fully free distro which runs on Linux-libre, but I need a proprietary module for my wifi, so I just want to add it instead of going full vanilla.

For fucks sake Cred Forums, how come midi works out of the box on windows, but a program still refuses to use midi when you have everything setup? Why? Why is midi the devil?

my nigga, slackware is god tier.

Literally just back up whatever shit you want from your Linux partition and install Ubuntu (or, since I'm the one talking now, Fedora) the same way you installed Mint. Only difference is you're overwriting a Linux partition instead of writing to an empty one.

Any audio setup that requires anything more complicated than one speaker is a pain in the ass.

> installed Arch to my old laptop
> haven't gotten everything I want set up yet but it works well enough
> literally set up a script to run pacman -Syu every time I open the lid
> runs like a dream

I have to agree, non-arch cucks literally do not have an argument.

Every single time I've tried to get midi to work, it's been pure luck after hours of googling going on a wild goose chase and it still doesn't sound that great compared to a program I've used on windows. I'm just going to use wine or install windows in a VM for anything that requires midi, my patience is gone.

Debian does that through kernel modules

replied to my old question. (days later)

How do I learn chroot?

Is there any graphical chroot management system?

Using Manjaro (don't feel like explaining why)

How do I get rid of that shitty shadow on the top of the dock?

Window manager tweaks

I don't think JWM has that.

I just turned it off.

my bad lad. I assumed it was xfce.

Thanks for trying man

i guess, if you don't count all of the propriety, non-free software and kernel blobs.

Mint cinnamon or ubuntu MATE?
This is killing me help

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

just stop after you type the chroot command

If you had to choose between the two, I'd go with MATE. I think KDE Neon/Kubuntu is a better OS overall though.

Honest advice needed.

I want to switch from a lifetime of Windows to a stable GNU/Linux distro with 'stable' graphics driver support.

I just need to be able to program apps with Vulkan/OpenGL somewhat effectively with it and then I'm happy.

Reason for asking is because that im sick with Windows bloatware and I've generally started to just dislike Microsoft because of reasons.

Recommendations or informative links appreciated.

Looks like you need to use the "permissions" option in your fstab. Permissions are probably being held fixed by your mount options.

Xubuntu 16.04 LTS. Never run dist-upgrade. Use chroots, WINE, VM. Leave your distro as vanilla as possible.

Something ubuntu based is always a good start point, have a look at either Ubuntu MATE or Kubuntu

Thanks user, i'll give Neon a go too

try some out in a virtual machine and get a feel for what you life. Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Mint would be good starting points to test things.

>Xubuntu 16.04 LTS
Why Xfce though

Xfce doesn't see massive changes frequently. That's why your DE will remain stable

This

Just be sure Virtualization is enabled

I want to dualboot windows and some distro using a separate drive for each one. If windows is installed on sda and Linux and grub are installed on sdb, will grub be able to boot windows? If I remove sdb or my installation gets fucked up for some reason, would I still be able to boot windows without needing to repair the boot loader?

You should be able to relatively easily, it's just a matter of selecting which hard drive you want to boot into at startup. They shouldn't interfere with each other,

They are in essence completely separated if you use separate drives. However grub should be able to detect that there is another bootable OS on sdb and boot from it.

sda I mean.

Thanks

yeah on pic related I would rather just call it GNU

What is the best DE?

Why did you say deepin?

I'd try Gentoo if I had more time. Most of the software I run on Arch is compiled by myself anyway so I wouldn't mind.

>compiled by myself
wow

Until a firefox update drops and you need to wait for it to compile.

Best is either i3 or KDE, depending on whether you want tiling or traditional styled DE's.

Deepin a shit.

>KDE
lol

Why do people think compiling takes any effort? It takes as much effort as downloading a file.

>Until a firefox update drops and you need to wait for it to compile.

I don't compile Firefox, but my PC isn't shit so it wouldn't take much time anyway.

kernel
firefox
chrome/chromium
other large binaries
take a long time no matter what processor you have
Id rather not have to wait 6 hours to use firefox
or 2 days for a simple kernel patch

It's not the effort. It's the know-how. Compiling is a scary word for most people.

It's the actual time the compilation takes. My poor T420 can't do it in any decent amount of time.

Is there away to use an ipod i found linux
just and old 160gb one

>tfw fedora is perfect except for that one piece of software you want that isn't in the repos, depends on packages that aren't in the repos either, and is impossible to compile from source

Wut?

2 days? Really? I hope that was figurative cause last time I compiled the Linux kernel it didn't take 10% of that time.

urgh. I have flashbacks of my old compaq lappy.
>512mb ram
>pentium m cpu

how do put music and wipe the ipod on linux

"It didn't take 4 hours to update" sounds like a dreadful statement for a rolling release distro.

>find the package you are looking for in copr
>it's a version from two years ago

I went for a very generous margin there. It probably took about an hour, I can't really remember well since I barely noticed the process.

give examples

Upstart

aegisub

gstreamer/h264 plugins

I compiled 4.7.6 just now and it took under 5 minutes on an i3-6100.

Bullshit

>Bullshit
make localyesconfig
(tune which crap you want as a module)
make -j5

Any Arch users here?

Apparently nouveau drivers depend on libdrm, systemd and mesa-dri and there are no optional dependencies (from the output of pacman -Si xf86-video-nouveau).
For some reason when I try to install the package, it says
>Packages (13)
>list 13 packages including nouveau, libdrm, mesa, some shit I don't care to type out here and fucking wayland.
Why wayland? (and that other shit that I didn't care enough to type out)
I don't want wayland and whatnot.
I just want to install nouveau drivers and xorg.

You could have a 10ghz and 128gb ram
it would not take 5 minutes

because they are dragging you into the future, whether you like it or not.

see sunnyD for another example

Its called hard dependencies
Wayland is dep for gtk3

how to connect ipod on linux

Not much of proof, but here was the end of the output.

But why does pacman -Si say nothing about this?
How can I opt out of the crap I don't need?
What the fuck, I thought Arch was about minimalism.

pacman is a package manager. It exists to manage your packages, not make decisions for you

>mini
It is, go check deps for any other distro and you'll find pretty much the same

I joined the FSF today. Now I need stallman to sign my libre x200.

Well apparently it is trying to make this decision for me.

You told it to install PACKAGE.It is telling you how to install PACKAGE and what else needs to be installed for PACKAGE to work.

Posting this again

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible.

Did you fucking read my post?
pacman -Si says the only dependencies are libdrm, systemd and mesa. Nothing else. No optional dependencies.

>ibdrm, systemd and mesa
what are those dependent on? Not being an ass just curious if they show anything when you Si them

HOLY FUCKING FUCK
PACMAN -Si LIBDRM
PACMAN -SI SYSTEMD
PACMAN -SI MESA-DRI

FOLLOW THE DEP CHAIN ASSHOLE

Oh. It just never crossed my mind that wayland would be pulled as a dependency for mesa.

What's happening?

are there any benefits to replacing xscreensaver with gnome-screensaver other than gnome's not looking like it's stuck in 1996

So, on slackware using the Konquer browser I keep getting asked for my GPG passphrase for my primary GPG key every single time I load a new webpage. I get asked multiple times in a row sometimes. Does anyone know what the hell is going on? It suddenly started happening after a restart I need after I wrote a rasbian linux image to a micro sd card. I used the dd command to write the image if that makes any difference.

>So I added this line to my $HOME/.profile
>export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk

how do I do it: It's the proposed solution I've found on a lot of places for kde programs outside it

in your home folder add the second line, export included, to your .bashrc/.profile/.zshrc file, whichever applies to your setup.

As far as I remember that only works for qt4, I don't think qt5 has that option unless it was re-added, definitely wasn't there for a while.

>tfw blank screen when getting to LVM encryption screen
>Won't change even after entering password
>But works fine when I do recovery mode
>nomodeset doesn't do shit
T-Thanks NVIDIA. Do you guys know if there's any other full disk encryption tools I can use?

Not nvidia
Your bootloader is not set correctly

I tried fucking around with it and it ended up not booting. So I put in a live cd and ran gparted but it wouldn't let me mount my Linux partions because they were in /dev/ and some random long string of numbers. Not sure if that's because of LVM encryption though. Oh well, I think I can just do without encryption for now but damn.

Your problem isnt encryption
Its your lack of understanding LVM

I take that back it's asking me for my gpg passphrase when I load websites in firefox as well now too.

Use a live usb to partition the drives to your desired sizes. Install gparted on the live iso if you don't like using the terminal

thank you
in the end it didn't work

I'm trying to get my Raspberry pi 3 B to connect to my hidden wifi. I tried following this guide here: thehecklers.org/2015/02/27/how-to-connect-raspberry-pi-to-hidden-ssid/

I eddited the files as they said and I cannot get it to connect. I've tried a couple other guides as well and they didn't work either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is my network interfaces file:

source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface etho inet manual

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and my wpa_supplicant.conf file is:

country=GB
ctrl_interfae=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
ssid="***my ssid**"
scan_ssid=1
psk="**my wifi pass**"
mode=0
proto=WPA2
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
group=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
id_str="raspi"
priority=1
}

if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get this thing to actually connect to my hidden wifi that would be great. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

probably applicable to your, maybe not, but i had trouble connecting my zero to my connection once.

turned out there was a hidden space at the end that didn't let it connect at all, was pretty funny after wasting some time troubleshooting elsewhere.

At the end of the files or one of the entries in the file? There was an empty line at the end of the wpa_supplicant.conf file but removing it didn't work.

I had a similar problem a while but I'm afraid I don't remember the solution, I know I found one on the gentoo wiki somewhere and that I just had to get the wpa_supplicant config right. I think network manager worked fine by doing
>nmcli dev wifi connect THESSID password THEPASSWORD
If you can install networkmanager it might make things easier. Hidden wifi is a fucking pain in the ass.

I'm trying to improve my navigation skills through files
so far I just use ls, cd and occasional tree to list files
gimme some tips /fglt/

Alright, my brother gave me his shitty Chromebook. I hate ChromeOS, so I flashed the cb with a custom SeaBIOS to install Linux without using Crouton. It installed fine, but Ubuntu is taking up too much of the 16gb ssd. I tried to USB boot and install Puppy Linux, Tiny Core, and Ubuntu Minimal to trim the space usage, but they all give me a blank screen after "loading vmlinuz," then I have to shutdown.

I've tried using Rufus, unetbootin, YMMV, pendrive, and the dd command, but it does nothing.

I've used Linux for all of 5 days, so I don't know jack shit.

Use pushd to work with different directories without changing paths

>Mint

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux Mint, is in fact, Ubuntu/Linux Mint, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Ubuntu plus Linux Mint. Linux Mint is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Ubuntu system made useful by Debian.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Ubuntu system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Ubuntu which is widely used today is often called “Linux Mint”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Ubuntu system, developed by Canonical. There really is a Linux Mint, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux Mint is the DE: the implementation of the desktop metaphor made of a bundle of programs running on top of a computer operating system, which share a common graphical user interface (GUI), sometimes described as a graphical shell. The DE is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux Mint is normally used in combination with the Ubuntu operating system: the whole system is basically Ubuntu with Linux Mint added, or Ubuntu/Linux Mint. All the so-called “Linux Mint” desktop environments are really desktop environments of Ubuntu/Linux Mint.

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kde-telepathy-minimal : Depends: kde-config-telepathy-accounts (>= 15.04.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

result of trying to install kubuntu desktop on mate, any help? can't install anything more

>ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-labe/aaiso2' device did not show up after 30 seconds...

Trying to install Arch-anywhere, why is this happening?

>inb4 you're too dumb for Arch, go back to noobuntu

Sounds like dependency hell man, you probably should have tried to install these instead of Kubunutu: help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE
If you can, just try to purge all of the fuckery you have made, and try to install kde itself,. You ideally want just the DE, which is KDE. Kubuntu is an entire distro, so you have probably made things messy.

Does the hard disk show up anywhere else? Are you sure it's being read?

I'm not sure. It doesn't give me this problem If I enable legacy boot rather than uefi, but then I can't boot into Arch after installing. Trying to boot in uefi always gives me this.

Debian testing or Ubuntu?

Debian sid

Have a problem with uefi. Been trying to dual boot debian testing and Windows.

So the thing is, I had Ubuntu instead of debian, and I decided to just format the root partition from Ubuntu. Installer goes on just fine, supposedly installs grub but after the restart it boots into the minimal version of grub. Any ideas?

Why? Unstable desu.

Christ, I had this issue a few days ago. Eufi either makes things really simple, or really fucking hard. I'd say try to boot into gparted/boot-repair disk and check to make sure the bootloader has actually installed properly. Can you still boot to windows?

Is it possible to set up a cronjob to run every 5 minutes between let's say 6am to 9am?

Because it is nice and you don't understand debians definition of stable and unstable.

Kubuntu and Mint are maintained by different teams, with different release schedules. I hope someone, somewhere warned you about version-checking when installing off-distro packages? Anyway I thought Mint also had their own KDE packages?

I can boot into Windows by choosing it's boot manager but basically when I check my boot options the entry for grub still says "ubuntu". I don't think it has been installed properly at all.

Guess I would have to check how to install it manually.

linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_kde_whatsnew.php
Yup, they have their own KDE version.

Well that's good, means it hasn't totally been ballsed. You can either try to install grub manually, which isn't too hard to do, or you can give boot-repair a swing. Either way, you are going to need a live usb/cd. You could also try your luck with completely purging grub/linux from that hard drive and starting again from scratch, probably the safest bet.

I'm downloading boot-repair right now. If this doesn't work I guess I'll back up a few files and install Windows again using the good old system instead of uefi because fuck this shit

>download iso for live usb of debian
>use rufus to put it on a flash drive
>old mac laptop doesn't detect the drive in the boot manager

what's more likely: laptop is shit or something wrong with the live usb?

installing on a mac can be a bit finicky. best to use the wiki as a reference.

wiki.debian.org/MacBook

i'm not doing a full install, just a live, bootable usb to test it out.

Most of the finicky comes from Mac not liking the way windows/linux live usb's are formatted. You will need to do some wizardry to get the mac to read it at startup.

damn. wish i could say that i was surprised but there you go. thanks for the help.

1. How to disable USB ports on linux? and will this protect from BadUSB?KILLUSB?

2. What is a file system format that works between Linux/Win and support files size larger than 4 GB?

3. When using AUR helpers like yaourt, the packages installed will be "seen" by pacman, but it won't if it was compiled from source right? so it it better to run yaourt -Syu rather than pacman -Syu?

Hi there.

Wow Solus is so new and exciting that you can't even tell your Japanese friends about it. Or use Flash. Or apparently emulate your favorite old games.
Do I have to accept the fact that I'll never be happy with a distro and just pick one that gets in the way the least?

SLiM or LXDM ?
Can I just change the backgrounds on both?

wow, it's fucking nothing

Is there anything wrong with using backports as the default repo on a desktop with debian stable installed or should I just onstall debian unstable?

Anybody use opensuse tumbleweed?

What's it like?

Anyone?

does nouveau not work for dual monitors for the gtx 1070? asking for a friend.

It either wouldn't work at all or there shouldn't be a dual-monitor problem.

he switched from a 690 to a 1070 and now one of his monitors isnt working, he's on linux mint. says nouveau is up to date.

doing net install on manjaro and cant find the networks for shit
it says that i have the realtek driver up and running both for wifi and ethernet but ip link set eth0 up does fucking nothing saying it cant find the device
what do?

same for wlan0

I'm surprised he gets an image out of it at all. Who would even think of trying to run a new Nvidia GPU with Noveau?

are you saying he should be using the proprietary driver?

solved by
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install -fBtw I was on ubuntu mate, not linux mint.
I got kubuntu mouse even on mate now, no other problems by now

Either that or he could just wait until next year when Nividia finally releases the signed firmware so that Noveau actually can use the hardware properly.
Unless Noveau-team just decides it's no longer worth it trying to release drivers for Nividias shitty locked hardware.

thanks user

Probably LXDM, bit more functionality

What's your motherboard? You'll probably need to manually install some stuff to get it to play nice.

Sorry and I don't know anything about either of those.

Glad you got it all working.

Stupid question but is it possible that the router in the apartment I've just moved in to blocks linux connections?

I moved in a couple of days ago and decided to reinstall linux after tinkering around with windows for a few weeks. Used the exact same USB that I had used before (confirmed working on my old router) but this time it wouldn't connect to the wifi, constantly being disconnected and reconnecting every two seconds.

Tried a different distro and the problem was still there.

Any ideas?

Oh, and he probably should use the proprietary driver anyway since it would otherwise be a total waste to buy such an expensive GPU and then slow it down with the free drivers.
If he wanted free drivers he shouldn't have went for Nvidia.

some msi shit, its a laptop, now i managed to find that clusterfuck of a name the ethernet connection had and it says im sending/receiving packets but still cant ping google or do anything net related

I guess it probably could? But I wouldn't put my money on it, maybe try running a dist upgrade/update and making sure you have the right drivers. Best bet though is to try to connect to another network available to test the connection quality. Too many possible things to really give a proper answer sorry.

Wouldn't happen to be an atheros one by any chance? I heard about having issues with those a while ago. If you are sending/receiving packets, then the adapter must be working. Have a gander at your connection settings, shit like auto-ip and dns configs.

What's a good and simple video editing program for Linux? I just need to cut a little clip out of a film.

>Stupid question
It really is.

>blocks linux connections
What are "linux connections"? No, it won't, but it probably will block all connections from unknown devices, just like yours.
You need to authorize your device.

itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/

Pick one

ffmpeg

If he didn't need to authorize the device the first time, he probably doesn't need to do it now.

no, both wlan and eth are realtek
ips should be fine i put it on dhcp, only failure can be the dns since the network im connected to has a custom and it often shits the bed but so far its working on the other pc

How do I authorise the laptop? Mac and windows machines connect perfectly. I even installed windows back on the problem machine to try (it connected) before moving on to a third distro which is also having the same issue.

Can you connect to any other networks on the computer with linux?

never mind, I've connected a debian install on another machine to the wifi. Something must have changed in regards to the wifi adaptor on the machine while it was in windows for a few weeks.

ifconfig says my ethernet connection is up and running receiving and sending packets without loss still it says network is unreachable

Anyone?

I was under the impression that they were more open than nvidia. Am I incorrect?

... how did you get it to name itself after your motherboard?

did you somehow overwrite the UEFI or something? I highly doubt it, but that detail makes it stand out.

> 1. How to disable USB ports on linux?
It's fucking hard to do that. And no it won't protect.

> 2.
No such thing. Linux can read/write NTFS though, that's your best bet. But it will fragment it to hell, so keep writing to minimum, or defrag if you use a HDD.

> 3.
Correct. If you use AUR crap.

That's default behavior, even Windows does this.

After thinking for a brief moment, let me explain what this autistic cuntnugget couldn't, in non-demeaning terms.

A defragmentation tries to arrange the files on the hard drive in a way optimized for reading them. A fragmented file, written to many different places on the hard drive, will take longer to read than a defragmented one.

Key word here being file.

You need a file system. A file system could absolutely cover the entire disk, but then it is the only partition on there. If there is no file system to help figure out what data on what part of the disk corresponds to which file, you cannot defragment.

I have installed arch, ubuntu and windows in the last year, not once has this happened. Curious.

Weird, it always happened for me.
Meh, you know how the manufacturers work..

This OS has almost nothing else going for it, but it's a great ass feeling to go from post to login screen in less than the time it takes for you to ask how long it will take. Is there somewhere I can go that does this but is also a complete and competent OS?

>that does this but is also a complete and competent OS?
Any modern OS that has like XFCE, LXDE as desktop?

I mean you have an I/O bottleneck.
Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon are all big.
So, lots to load.

XFCE/LXDE are small, can be loaded faster.
I think that distro used XFCE the one you posted.

So a few examples...
> Fedora with XFCE
> Xubuntu
> and literally any other distro since XFCE is available everywhere

New thread:

>It's fucking hard to do that
Then what to do if I want people from transferring data?
In windows their is device manager where you can disable it, is there something similar?
>Linux can read/write NTFS
I thought NTFS support is rubbish on linux?
And writing to NTFS will cause issue with files that were created under linux file system
>AUR
So yaourt -Syu will update everything?

> similar?
Yeah, but prepare yourself.
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/165447/turning-off-power-to-usb-port-or-turn-off-power-to-entire-usb-subsystem

linux.com/blog/disable-enable-usb-terminal

> I thought NTFS support is rubbish on linux?
Nah, that's bullshit.
ntfs-3g and both native ntfs (so whatever is default now in 2016) will work.

back in 2005 or so, I used ntfs-3g.
ubuntu used "Wubi" which was an Ubuntu fully based on NTFS.

Both worked perfectly.
As I said the only problem ... 10 years ago or so was that the files got fragmented.
They have probably fixed it by now.

> yaourt -Syu
Well, yes, if it's got a package/AUR for it, it will.
But if you install from source, like "make install", neither of them will see it. You have to update that by hand.

Is it actually hard to extract clips for someone who has not used cmd line ffmpeg a lot before? I just need to get a single minute-long clip out of a film.

avidemux

best.

This is the first one I looked for but for some fucking reason it's not in the retard Ubuntu repo

launchpad.net/~rebuntu16/ archive/ubuntu/avidemux unofficial

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rebuntu16/avidemux+unofficial
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install avidemux2.6

I'll probably have to do it that way then. I can't get it to work with manual configuration at all. I even tried with a new install of rasbian. Does anyone have any recomendations for raspberry pi ditros that don't suck?

Haha.
I tried to set up an Atom with a "Linux supported wifi card" with Server.
Because you know, I didn't need much from it, and wifi would have been enough.

FUCK THAT.
I spent WEEKS and it still disconnected, dropped, failed, etc.
Wifi and CLI is just no-no.

Use a semi desktop maybe?
Like install Xorg + fluxbox + NetworkManager?
Or there are even more minimalist wms out there.
That's not much ram...

I'm using the rasbian pixel desktop right now. I can't get the NetworkManager gui to launch with it though. I decided to try and connect my laptop to my hidden wifi as I had been using wired ethernet for it. It won't let me select WPA2 only. It keeps trying to connect as WPA even though it's WPA2 and the only option it gives me in security settings is for BOTH wpa and wpa2. After adding the connection to the NM myself though suddenly the hidden ssid shows up as a detected ssid seperated from the connect I add and it lists properly as WPA2 but when I try to connect to that one it says the access point was not on the scan list. This shit is a pain. I did not imagine that rasbian would be even more of a pain that slackware though.

Seems like NetworkManager is just fucked on the Pi.
They released a new distro for it though, have you heard about that?

raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel/

Check that out.
You can also just weed out everything from it, if it works.
But it's XFCE anyway, so it shouldn't be big of a deal.
(And changing that to IceWM takes what... 5 seconds?

Well I got slackware to connect as WPA2 by editing the connection file myself but it won't auto resolve the IP. Fucking shit. For anyone else wondering they are txt files under /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections

Yeah, that's that one I'm using the pixel desktop under the latest jessie release. I'll have to try switch desktops.

Meh, use static IP?

You should be careful though. Make sure:
- You have a resolv.conf set up. With DNS servers and all.
- You have a hosts set up.
- You have your hostname set up.
- Your static configuration is correct. Trust me it is NOT straightforward.

Nah, desktops will have the same NM config shared.
Hmm.

I can try if you give me a few minutes.
But which distro has NM?

I have Ubuntu but its got some other setup on it...
Fedora?

It auto resolves on other networks just fine but those weren't hidden. Could it be an issue with this router? I auto resolve while connect to ethernet to the same router as well. I'll have to takea peak through my routers wifi settings. Unfortunately my IP is dynamic and it costs an additional $5 a month to get a static one. Seeing as how my internet is only $25 for 30mb/s I'm not in a rush to pay an extra $5.

Hosts and hostname are both set up. I'll have to check the router logs as well to see what the wifi card is trying to do while connecting exactly.

Slackware 14.2 is what I'm using on the laptop. I can post my connection file if that would help.

Well even if you buy a static IP, your PI will have a NAT'd IP inside.
So yeah, you can just put it to 192.168.1.99 or whatever.
The rest is on your router.

And for dynamic IP, your router can handle that, use a no-ip.com service or something. They also have Linux scripts so you can run it from the Pi, but I used routers for this and they worked for years.

So no need for that 5$.

I'm cloning my address to a different one for the wifi connection. Could that be causing the issue? Looking at my router logs I think it might be trying to send the IP address to my wired connection.

Yes.

Just use two networks, as I showed in example.
Why not connect the wire to the router though?

what's wrong with systemd?