Why the fuck don't we have awesome phones like this anymore?

Why the fuck don't we have awesome phones like this anymore?

I would murder your entire family for something like this with slightly updated specs. Not even top of the line specs, just a bit better.

In this thread post amazing shit that should still exist...also give me a good reason not to sell my LG v10 and get a unused pic related from eBay for 20 bucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/f68Yjjv8QEw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This design is extremely retarded, but I'd definitely buy a modern Android with a keyboard.

Keyboard phones are the best.

This design is pretty awesome. I like the dual screens myself.

And would still murder your family for an updated one. Not MY family mind you (maybe some of the annoying ones) but I'd definitely murder YOURS.

people just dont care about physical keyboards.

Why have a physical keyboard there all the time when you only use it once in a while ?

Everything has been homogenised for the sake of app compatability.

Bullshit they don't.

They only abandoned keyboard to save costs on parts.

Just give up on performance, buy a 6 year old phone and underclock it. The past is the future is now.

I'm fucking tempted good sir. And I just might do it.

Anyone else here downgraded to a better device?

>Why have a physical keyboard there all the time when you only use it once in a while ?
My phone's primary purpose is texting. If I'm using the phone, I'm more than likely using the keyboard.
>tfw been back with the physical keyboard masterrace for a year now
Feels great. Upgrading to a Passport soon

I run a 2012 LG800 and I'm thinking about going to a symbian'd E7.

What about the blackberries, are they viable for anything these days? any gen

>Why have a physical keyboard there all the time when you only use it once in a while ?
Why have volume buttons when you only use them once in a while?

Meh portrait keyboards kinda suck...

I'm honestly just look In for something decent I can use on t mobile that still mostly works or can be modified into something that works.

The market has decided, not just in high end phones but even the budget ones are doing away with keyboards.

>Upgrading to a Passport soon
I came here to laugh at you

There is still a small group of people that are die hard fans of the physical keyboard but they are a small minority, not even enough for blackberry to bother to stay in the hardware business.

>comparing keyboard buttons that physically limit the size of the display to buttons on the side that interfere with nothing

However the BlackBerry priv is 100 percent viable.

If you're into that kinda thing once again.

Bullshit. The market never decided. They simply stopped making them because the extra parts cost money.

The consumer NEVER had any say.

Well the old texting-only dumbphones evolved into myTouch(HTC one and LGC800) like I got but finding good roms for any of the minor network phones.

I have a one off found-on-some-forum cyanogen 7 on mine and it is super flakey.

If you went to like the older HTC dream or something that was flagshippy you'd probly have great luck.

>I came here to laugh at you
I like the Q10 more but it's time for something different. Soon I'll have a Q10, Classic, and Passport and switching between the three based on what I feel like using that day. What exactly's the issue with the Passport?

>physically limit the size of the display
Yeah, because slide keyboards aren't a thing
>buttons on the side that interfere with nothing
Daily reminder that volume buttons are the reason phones are so thick

Wait for sailfish OS and Nemo Mobile OS (All it GNU/Linux with wayland).
Ubuntu mobile sucks.

The consumer always had a say. It just so happens that you're in the minority of people that actually cares about physical keyboards on phones

>The consumer NEVER had any say.
the consumer never had a say.. they said they wanted phones like the iphone and stopped buying blackberries..

You are right user, BB just folded over right away and stopped making keyboard phones the day iphone was launched

People spoke with their wallets, they don't care about physical keyboards.

The passport was released 2 years ago, keep that in mind.

And my Q10 was released three years ago, what's your point?

No we didn't. They didn't slowly get phased out! They all stopped at once...we had no options!!! They're was never a chance for the consumer to have a say in the matter.

People even complained and botched but it never changed a damned thing. Without extra parts the companies made more money and that was all that ever mattered.

The consumer had ZERO choice.

Real talk, i'd go for an updated env2, with that classic OS feel, but modern shit like Facebook IM, and other modern apps

>awesome phones like this

Fuck off you cringelord neckbeard. This is almost as bad as used TwinkPad circlejerking.

And just watch what Apple is doing now...

Bet your ass all of you will lose your headphone jacks...because it's another part that costs money. But it WILL happen regardless of what the consumer wants.

You won't have a choice...again.

You're comparing losing the headphone jack with the shift towards software keyboards..
Not the same thing, but keep trying.

>I'm a selfish piece of shit with bad taste
They don't make them anymore because the only people who bought them were autistic retards like you

The principle is the exact same.
>Not the same thing
Yeah a keyboard isn't a headphone jack, sharp eye dude. They're still hardware features being forcedly phased out.

>it's okay when they make things I like but you're not allowed to have things you like
Fuck off moron

The consumers always have a choice, problem is that the consumers are mostly retarded and will eat whatever garbage apple or samsung feeds them

so there is a software replacement for the headphone jack then ?

Because only a few neckbeards are still crying about the lack of physical keyboards everyone else has moved on and likes software keyboards and all the options they bring with them.

Bitch all you want here, the physical keyboard on phones has long been dead.

Feature being removed against the will of the consumer.

Options being removed like it or not.

Its the same shit over and over again...don't worry though they'll make it nice and thin for you (but only because that helps them fuck you out of a bigger battery)

The choice consumers have is to not buy a product, they don't have any options to create a different product or product features. End users literally are blocked by a host of cartels from entering the market in any way.

Are you not aware of BlackBerry? I mean, they just recently died but there are multiple BB10OS devices with keyboards and an Android one that's less than a year old

Dude if you don't like the thread go to another and bitch about GPU'S...or discuss why you think Stallman backboard has magic properties...or there's always the jewelry thread, sorry the WATCH thread.

>so there is a software replacement for the headphone jack then ?
Bluetooth headphones ;)
>Because only a few neckbeards are still crying about the lack of physical keyboards everyone else has moved on and likes software keyboards and all the options they bring with them.
I guess you've also moved on from removable batteries, SD slots, dual sims, and phone sizes below 5 inches. Platinum grade cuck.

And it's great that the option is available...if they made a landscape keyboard we would all buy them.

>landscape
Disgusting. Portrait keyboards are objectively superior.

For me the dealbreaker is it being unrootable. Literally wtf blackberry

BlackBerry's a business oriented company, they're not interested in your rice and custom ROMs.

If they're so pro-privacy they could at least allow me access to Xprivacy then
>a business oriented company
They're admittedly pretty good at orienting their business down the drain

They have been bouncing back lately. So fuck off.
If you don't have a Blackberry, you are fucking retard, end of story.

Lol you're full of shit. The iPhone and the Galaxy sales didnt explode for no reason.

They've literally ceased their hardware production like a day or two ago. Kek

Yeah, they're getting rid of unnecessary baggage. Why the fuck would they manufacture something in an industry with literally 0 profits when they can tell somebody else to design and make their phones?

Because they made the best phones

>They've literally ceased their hardware production like a day or two ago. Kek

They are outsourcing the production to another company.

Well I dunno, why would anyboy want to buy a blackberry-branded phone that isn't a blackberry phone?

Now they're telling somebody to make the best phones for them.

It is a blackberry though, with physical keyboard and everything.

Are they actually still designing phones? I was under the impression all new BlackBerries were going to be existing phones with a BlackBerry logo slapped on them like the DTEK50.

I personally don't care about nor want a keyboard that's available 100% of the time

Fight me

Then continue buying phones that suit your preferences. Don't go bitching that others disagree.

>Are you not aware of BlackBerry?
You mean the company that measures its total market shares in tenths of a percent

face it keyboards are out.
You might like them, but everyone else doesnt cry a river missing physical keyboards.

yeah expect more Alcatel clones to come out
like what is gonna happen, LG or HTC is gonna let them copy their phones ?

>You mean the company that measures its total market shares in tenths of a percent
Marketshare is irrelevant, the point is that BlackBerry never stopped making keyboard phones so to say that keyboard phones have been dead for years is entirely wrong. Sure they've become increasingly less common but they're not dead.

Damn this thread blew up.

So that's a yes I should get this then. Awesome good to know.

Portrait keyboards are not what we are bitching about.

And for years it was only available on BlackBerry OS.

We want the other Options that were taken away.

>Portrait keyboards are not what we are bitching about
I never said they were
>And for years it was only available on BlackBerry OS.
As they should be

And nobody gives a shit. You have what you want...good for you dicknuts.

But we do not have the same.

Can't we get any variety? Back then phones had all sorts of crazy designs. Sure many of them were not actually practical and had faults but still you had the choice.

Now all phones are basically the same. No company dares to do something different. At best they will only add some small feature like dual cameras.

Would it really hurt a company that much to release a portrait keyboard android phone? Would really no one buy it?

For all intents and purposes the market share of those kinds of phones is insignificant.

Which brings us full circle to my earlier point, consumers voted with their wallets and wanted nice large screens on their phones and no keyboards.
BB couldn't deliver on that (hubris ? stupidity by the co-CEO's ?) and blew their tremendous lead they had pre-2009

Yeah fuck BlackBerry OS.

Really that's it. Most people like Android. Mind you it's great that they are making Android stuff now but it still has a BlackBerry style and a lot of us don't want that portrait keyboard.

why not get a carrier pigeon too if you want to be really edgy

Nobody voted with their wallets...they were simply forcibly taken away.

WE DIDN'T GET A CHOICE.

>For all intents and purposes the market share of those kinds of phones is insignificant.
Not in the slightest. Read what I was replying to. >And for years it was only available on BlackBerry OS.
BlackBerry kept making physical keyboard phones therefore physical keyboards on phones are not dead. End of story.

>fuck the best mobile OS
But why?

variety is not the same as quality.

>having the n-gage in that picture

are you a retard ?
Because if people truly wanted a physical keyboard than the iphone would have flopped but instead it was a runaway success.

>horse and buggy still exist therefore they are not dead and should be considered when talking about modes of transportation

A physical keyboard would be more optimal in keeping the surface of one's screen from becoming smudged, and should one be dumb enough to fuckup their screen somehow, they could still make good use of their phone if they had a physical keyboard.

For all you pissants going on about there being little to no people wanting a physical keyboard, you are obviously a dense mother fucker who hasn't been out of their mothers basement. Go outside and get some fresh air you wanna be cockjockey

>>having the n-gage in that picture

YES. Even though it might have not been a good phone at least Nokia had the COURAGE to do something different. Somehow they could even make an updated version of it.

Yet no company can release even one keyboard phone?

Lack of apps seems a pretty big deal breaker.

Also see the landscape 's portrait keyboard argument.

Look man you're just one more person who got exactly what they wanted while the rest of us got boned. Good for you.

Still sucks to be us.

>>horse and buggy still exist therefore they are not dead and should be considered when talking about modes of transportation
Fuck off, retard. Come back when you've got a valid argument.

God this pic.

Back when phones were good and companies had balls and creativity.

>Fuck off, retard. Come back when you've got a valid argument.
keyboard phones will never make a come back just like the horse and buggy won't either

>would murder your entire family
bitch, my mom could kill your faggot ass with a spoon

>keyboard phones will never make a come back
They never went anywhere. If you don't have one it's because you didn't buy one.

The difference is that while the horse and buggy is genuinely outdated keyboards were removed as a cost saver, aka because fuck the customer.

Go eat a dick retard. Or bend over for some more corporate assfucking with no lube you masochistic fuck.

Dumbest statement from the dipshit who didn't read the thread.

Clearly your dad failed and you should have been a butt-nutt or a splatter in a condom.

I've been posting since the thread started you fucking moron.
>lol ur dum xDDD
Not an argument.

He's right though, I have a slide out keyboard phone that I bought back in like 2002 that still works, its your fault for not buying one when they were still on sale.

I doubt that or you would have seen the numerous posts about how you do not have the options you implied we had.

But you were just pretending to be retarded right? Ya sure fooled us you clever bastard!

We did buy them jackass.

We still want to buy them.

Christ are you ever retarded. Hardware keyboards are still a thing in modern phones.

I've got at least 15 posts itt, faggot. And no, in order for me to be pretending to be retarded I'd have to have made a retarded post, which I've yet to do.

But they were awful and the only reason people bought them was because touch screens sucked.

That feel when there is no way something like this could have been made today.

exactly

i can't think of any other typing methods besides keyboards, touchscreens, and voice dictation

the latter is inaccurate and unsuitable for many situations, and touchscreens suck harder than keyboards for typing

Touch screens still suck

You are in the minority, nobody wants to use tactile clicky keys that are 1/4th the size of your fingertip and increase a phones size and weight.

Christ are you ever grasping at straws. BlackBerry's keyboards are great, you could type with your big toe.
>increase a phone's size and weight
Pretty sure my Q10's smaller than basically every fucking phone on the market.

Minority my ass. Touch screens are easily broken even with gorilla glass. Not to mention all the errors when screens aren't calibrated correctly. Taking into account how much easier it is to type on a physical keyboard versus a shitstain touchscreen, I would pick physical any and every day of the week. Fuckoff cucklord

Yeah so much better to have an on-screen method that covers more than a 3rd of your fucking screen.

And accidentally autocorrect words to 'dildo' when your texting your mom or kids.

Fucking right dude. Having 1/3rd of my screen or my whole screen depending on what app I'm using is fucking ridiculous. PHYSICAL KEYBOARDS ARE FUCKING NECESSARY

Just imagine how awesome this would be with modern hardware.

I would sport that shit. The very thought makes me moist

thats fucking right, I want to permanently give up 1/3 of my screen for a keyboard that can never go away like if im watching youtube

And let's not forget just to get a useable touchscreen keyboard you need a fucking 5 inch phone.

Because that's the thing in want in my pocket. 5 inches of breakable glass next to my dick with a thin as fuck garanteed to break frame to insure my scrotum is properly mutilated.

because watching video is more important than communication on a phone, amirite?

>pretending sliders aren't a thing

>millions of iphone users are wrong and can't use their phones properly !

>Pretty sure my Q10's smaller than basically every fucking phone on the market.
Did they stop selling the iphone SE ? because its thinner and narrower but only slightly taller

Look here grandpa, people communicate through other meals that voice calls these days

>pretending that the priv sold well anywhere

>Did they stop selling the iphone SE ? because its thinner and narrower but only slightly taller
Did I say literally every phone on the market? I don't fucking think so.
>>pretending that the priv sold well anywhere
Marketshare's irrelevant, quit moving the goalposts. You're whining about keyboards taking up screen space and I'm pointing out that they only do if you want them to.

>millions of iphone users are wrong and can't use their phones properly !
argumentum ad populum

>Look here grandpa, people communicate through other means than voice calls these days
yea, like by typing text... such as with a keyboard
i'd say it's even more common than voice calls these days, making a good keyboard more important than ever before

No matter how much you want it is not coming back.

It never went away. Nice to see you've run out of arguments though.

so what did we learn from this thread ?

That we want tiny phones with keyboards

As I said before, never did the horse buggy

As I said before, come back when you have a valid argument.

hes dead jim

What I learned is that people hate variety.

the free market selected the winners, phones are expensive to develop/make there just isnt enough room to experiement with wild designs anymore since it might end up costing your company tens of millions or more.

Even going with the flow is no guarantee of success, just look at Sony and HTC

Yes, its always been that way.

Why did the world move away from flip phones? That stylish click when you open it with just the right amount of force, like saying "it's on now motherfucker"

I'm going to assume because there was a shift to media consumption with phones and the most natural form factor for that was the candy bar shape.
And then people still focused on media consumption wanted larger and larger screens and now here we are with iphones that significantly larger than their first itteration.

Unless something changes or breaks this cycle of consumption ( in eye displays ?) screen sizes are likely to stay within this range (4.5-5.7 inches) for a while
Think of it like this, it took many years for monitors to become large and we enjoy them much more for that, what would it take for them to start shrinking down the sizes they were in the 90s?

Yes. Yes we do.

We learned that customers are not being provided for. So anyone wanna make some money?

Inferior portrait keyboard garbage.

I would happily help you hide the bodies.

It was with great reluctance that I traded my slider in for a touch screen. The memory was terrible, even with an SD card there were many applications I could not run. I loved that little phone. The keyboard made texting, and notetaking so much easier.

tfw have a droid 4

Not only are landscape keyboards a thing, but portrait keyboards are also vastly superior.

This

Best post in thread

>mfw I'm actually getting a carrier pigeon

Fine if landscape keyboard smartphones are still a thing where the fuck do I buy one?

>not seeing the words autocorrect
>not spelling it right the first time
?????
also most phones won't autocorrect to sex related/curse words

Bullshit.

The consumer NEVER got a say.

You took a sarcastic rebuttal a bit too seriously...you may in fact be autistic

this
landscape keyboards are for children

Blackberry still makes keyboard phones and always has and almost nobody buys them :^)

sony is failing ONLY because of marketing. Samsung became the meme because they marketed the fuck out of the Galaxy 3

Xperia phones are 10/10 but Sony isn't even fucking trying to go for the American market

Really miss this little shit

Sony has a LOT of products on the market, they have like 50 different xperias. They're really bad at businessing generally.

Samsung is basically blessed by google, HTC was always great but I dunno where they fucked up.

>Blackberry still makes keyboard phones

But
not
landscape
keyboards

No matter what your opinion is on them there should be an option. I don't think one is superior to the other. It's all a matter of preference.

Would murder for that also...

>TFW have jolla phone but can't buy a physical keyboard for it anywhere
life is suffering

I never said they were still a thing, I'm saying they are a thing.

I remember seeing this back in 2009 and thinking how innovative that keyboard was.

Seriously why won't anyone kickstart a keyboard phone?

This one still works as new. NOKIA magic

I still mourn this one

still a viable phone though if you're a non-phone-gaymer.

I would if not for the broken charging port. And after years of using not even a single scratch on the glass. I really loved this one.

Because a fuckhuge screen beats out any of this cool looking shit.
People want better browsing experiences, movie watching experience (dunno why the fuck people use a phone for that), and mobile game experience.

In this thread: minority acting like they are majority.

I am glad all these joke phones are gone.

>we

Speak for yourself asshole.

blame apple for their retarded smart phone model that we have nowadays. (and they probably have stole it like everything they do)

blackberry was/is the majority business class phone. That's apparently not a thing now.

What is Sony waiting for ?

>i like slathering my self in shit, why dosent EVERY large chain offer a shit shower?!

be a bit more self aware, man. we all like some weird shit but we dont all expect it to be mainstream

Eat a dick. I'm not saying everyone should make keyboard phones, I'm saying these guys who think only their preferences are valid are fucking faggots.

So right now what landscape keyboard phone has the best specs?

Too young to remember ?

hey man, i totally agree, id buy a physical keyboard phone in a heart beat, but if the demand isnt THERE, you cant expect people to just open up and pay for the necessary tooling to manufacture this shit just because YOU want it.
i still want a ball mouse with 20 buttons on the side, AND i wanted one in wireless to go with the wired. its never gonna fucking happen because im probably one of like 10 people who would ever purchase it

also i totally heard that samsung or somebody was gonna make a modern flip phone, two screens ( plus an outside one ) with a physical keyboard. of course like most prototype shit its never gonna happen, but god, i want it

>but if the demand isnt THERE

I am pretty sure if someone credible made a kickstarter for a decent looking landscape keyboard phone it would get easily funded.

they did, Jolla TOHKB

A shame the specs of the Jolla are like from 2011.

Oh Sony, please make an another one.

this is a joke right, could you really do bc2 on this

actual bc2 not some mobile port

no of course you couldnt, EA deems that game too old for humans to play so they'll invent roadblocks to prevent it being played anywhere.

Guys there's only this kind of phone case for certain brands and models. (pic related.) Would it be hard to take it apart and 3D print a holder/case for a same sized yet different brand of phone?

Also does anyone even like these?

There's no point in making another if it doesn't support Vita games, and it won't because you need a rear touch pad as well as 2 analog sticks.

and wheres the one for the nexus 6P?

I seriously dont understand Cred Forumss desire for a physical keyboard. What are you going to be typing up on your phone? The tiny keys are a pain in the arse to use anyway and just act as another failure point.

Because nobody buys them, not worth the r&d cost

Long quality posts on the go.

>I seriously dont understand Cred Forumss desire for a physical keyboard.
No, you're not understanding the point. If I want a physical keyboard, I can already use a cheapo 12 dollar bluetooth one, that's normal sized and sitting on my desk for when i need it. Or, I can use an adapter for plugging in my usb keyboard, if I wanted to be even more comfy, but... The point is, where are the phones with (current internal hardware, and) CONVENIENT physical keyboards? As for the reasons - well there are people who miss the feel of precision and feedback of thumb-typing on a slideout. And that's the basic matter of fact when you look at all of the potential use-cases (though I'll also say that phone gaming was arguably better in the days that phones directly targetted the gameboy/psp market). But to also make a brief analysis about (specifically) slideout keyboards:
Benefits-
>physical feedback
>consistent layout
>keyboard shortcuts
>screen stays still, instead of having to adjust for the onscreen keyboard
Disadvantages-
>phone keyboards have big differences between each other, per all the different brands
>it's easy to add a different language keyboard with a touchscreen keyset, but will be more complicated with a physical one
>moving parts add complications for manufacturers to deal with
>bullshit touchscreen shenanigans from facebook and web 2.0 pages affect you less... because of you spending less time actually touching the screen

They are awful...the keyboards have lag and needs a separate charger.

Keyboard cases are just terrible...

This. I upgraded from a dumb fone with a keyboard earlier this year. Ive had enouvh of swipe and fuck onscreen keybgoards

The number one thing I use my phone for is typing and I prefer typing on a physical keyboard to feedbackless glass slate.

>iPhone was a runaway success

People forget it was the only phone for a while to do touch screen typing right. Most touch screen phones has resistive screens which blew cocks so iPhone was WAY more accurate.

I remember seriously considering a DROID because of this exact reason, because I could have my smartphone and keyboard too without going blackberry.

Im using mine right now :^)

>The tiny keys are a pain in the arse to use anyway
And by prefering tiny keys on a flat featureless surface instead you've proven that you've never used such a keyboard in nearly a decade

>going to passport
>not the classic
what is your problem

I'm getting both. Passport first though since the Classic's essentially a Q10 with a toolbelt and larger screen.

holy cow, after taking a look, i might go passport

It's a pretty neat device

>It looks like you are trying to post on Cred Forums from a cell phone that is of only average resolution.

>would you like to solve your captcha by having images that eat your data cap and don't fit on the screen while the keyboard is up, or have a text captcha that will be completely fucked by autocorrect?

youtu.be/f68Yjjv8QEw

the comfiest

I remember this phone being extremely shit, to be honest.

Just get a Droid and install CM on it m8

>screen naturally protected when not in use
>thicc form allows for bigger battery
>flips horizontally for when you need to browse the internet/watch shit
>flips vertically when you need to call
>physical keyboard
>mfw no company has enough COURAGE to remake this

hello jewgle

Is there a keyboard phone with a good camera?

people just get an iphone/android with whatever apps their company uses preloaded now

>No company dares to do something different.
There's a reason for that, it's the touchscreen. As long as the OS and accompanying apps are optimised around the rectangular screen you will not see any ground-breaking variation in smartphones design.

So why not make It is rectangular with some shit added to it

If there was this thread would have already brought it up 20 times.
Cost...this is all about cost. Its not about a popular form factor. Its a boy about comparability it's about taking away features and saving money during manufacturing.
See the above statement.

Fucking autocorrect bullshit.

See this is why we need a keyboard with buttons and tactile feedback.

>See this is why we need a keyboard
No, you just need to reread your replies before hastily sending them to see if you rustled someone's jimmies.

Why would you need to check for typos and poor autocorrections when you can use a superior method of text input that helps prevent typos and allows you to disable autocorrect altogether?

Are you seriously implying you have never made a mistake when typing on a physical keyboard? Nigga, please, lay down your pathetic trolling for a second and think.

>Are you seriously implying you have never made a mistake when typing on a physical keyboard?
Of course not. I'm saying that autocorrect is necessary because touchscreen keyboards are absolute ass for typing accurately. On a physical keyboard I only make a mistake here and there, enough where I definitely don't need autocorrect enabled, you fucking mong. It's like typing on your desktop's keyboard. Sure you're still going to fuck up here and there but I can guarantee you don't have autocorrect for that.

I used to enjoy the shit out of that phone, but I bogged it down so fast the hardware was so bad. Still was nice having that second screen.

So am I the only one who prefers a spelling mistake to an obnoxious autocorrect that changes the entire fucking word?

I mean look outside of spergs and spelling/grammar Nazis (same thing really) we all make mistakes typing in a hurry. But with a spelling error or two it's still readable mostly but autocorrect just fucks a statement

Also it keeps trying to change fuck to duck. I have to go back and make sure all my profanity is in tact...