What are some uncomfortable truths about tech?

What are some uncomfortable truths about tech?

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com.au/books?id=P7kTCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA412&lpg=PA412&dq=representative sample does not depend on population size&source=bl&ots=BGDSTY60i_&sig=BEapTZDDblD8D8KzNN7v-JzNWqQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_xduc5rrPAhWMF5QKHd3BC2gQ6AEITTAI#v=onepage&q=representative sample does not depend on population size&f=false
iflscience.com/environment/global-temperature-increase-1-degree-caused-sea-level-rises-6-meters/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>2000
I wonder if this has to do with less NEETs using it and mainly programmers and actual computer scientists using it

I have macOS, winNT and ArchLinux in multiboot, am I superior?

no it all cancels out, so you're average

mac os has a bash terminal just like linux. that image was probably made by some windows 2000 user. bury himself more or less in the middle, putting linux ahead, but still giving himself a smugly self-reassuring IQ point boost for using his own OS.

(linux users don't give os x shit because they tend to know that underneath aqua is a close enough facsimile to unix that making fun of it before the NT kernel would be hilariously stupid)

That's Mac OS not Mac OS X

so you understood this image as being only as up to date as windows 2000, and yet being as up to date with apple operating systems as sierra?

given the resolution of the image it's common sense to infer that the person just typed "mac os" because "os x" somehow confused them or slipped their mind ~15 years ago when they made the image.

but beside that, both mac os and os x have a bash shell.

>Copyright (c) BBspot 2000.
Maybe that's why I think it's made back in 2000? Get your eyes checked.
There was no public release of OS X back in 2000.

Also no, MacOS does not have a shell, bash or anything else.

1000 people would be 1% of the Linux and Mac OS X user base, while 1000 people would be 0.001% of Windows user base, kind of unfair?

>no, MacOS does not have a shell, bash or anything else.
If you're specifically talking about OS 9, call it that. "MacOS" has never referred to the operating system that Apple had in 2000. It's only referred to Sierra (and, ostensibly, future versions). Sierra has a bash shell. Unless you're winding up to make the most pedantic, nitpicky point in the history of autism, you need to get a grip on reality.

>Also no, MacOS does not have a shell, bash or anything else.

uh

>Bash is a Unix shell and command language written by Brian Fox for the GNU Project as a free software replacement for the Bourne shell.[7][8] First released in 1989,[9] it has been distributed widely as it is a default shell on the major Linux distributions and OS X.
>it is a default shell on the major Linux distributions and OS X.

he's probably only ever used iOS and thinks that his experience with mom's iPad gives him enough experience to extrapolate. ignore zealots like him. they're retarded, and unhinged from reality.

It was called Mac OS from 6 to 9, before that it was called System. Way before Mac OS X was even an idea.

After the classic line there came Mac OS X. Notice the X?

You said that both Mac OS and OS X have a shell, but no, Mac OS does not have a shell.

Mac doesn't just 'have a bash terminal.' Mac is based on Unix. It's basically a proprietary version of Debian.

>It's basically a proprietary version of Debian.
If you going to make an analogy like that, get the facts straight, it's more a property version of BSD.

I think you missed the whole point.

Representative sample doesn't depend on number of actual candidates. You take the same amount of samples from each population.
books.google.com.au/books?id=P7kTCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA412&lpg=PA412&dq=representative sample does not depend on population size&source=bl&ots=BGDSTY60i_&sig=BEapTZDDblD8D8KzNN7v-JzNWqQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_xduc5rrPAhWMF5QKHd3BC2gQ6AEITTAI#v=onepage&q=representative sample does not depend on population size&f=false

Care to read next time before joining a conversation?

See
Mac OS is not related to Unix. As he mentioned, that Mac OS and OS X both have bash, which is false.
Also, the original picture he bitched on, was made in 2000 and mentioned Mac OS and not the Unix related Mac OS X.

if you're going to make the pedantic point i begged you not to make, at least get the spacing correct. you said "MacOS". that's Sierra and later. in all of the screenshots they have a space between "Mac" and "OS".

forcing us to have this conversation in the first place is the most autistic thing you could possibly do. please stop posting. if you're going to be a pedant, get your facts right. if you can't be bothered, then don't be a pedant. this isn't that complicated.

Actually I meant Darwin not Debian.

see why are we paying any attention to a 15/16 year old image?

>you said "MacOS"
You mean macOS* that's Serra and latter.

Before that it was MacOS/Mac OS for classic, that's the whole reason they can't call it MacOS and call it macOS.

Shut the fuck up you moron. All of Apple's operating systems are Mac OS (Mac operating system). What you're arguing is like saying Windows 10 isn't windows, it's Windows 10.
>Windows 10 IS Windows

Yet here you say

>but beside that, both mac os and os x have a bash shell.

Not even capitalising letters and have a space.

You lost already, you fucked up.

i was arguing for not being a nitpicky pedant. i'm allowed to play fast and loose because i'm not an obnoxious autistic person demanding it of others. i'm just saying that if *you're* going to be a nitpicky autist, at least start with yourself.

>at least start with yourself.

See
Also, what a nutjob that you didn't get the age of the picture and implied classic Mac OS has a shell.

Applefags

>they can't read fine print
>they don't even know the history of their own OS

you should sanitize google urls before pasting them; that could have been
>google.com/search?q=representative+sample+does+not+depend+on+population+size

>5 IQ points of difference
>Almost half the graph height

That's how Apple does it, that's how Nvidia does it and that's how the neckbeards on Cred Forums will do it.

5 IQ points is a huge difference, it's not misleading.

At least it has numbers, Apple graphs don't have numbers....

You do know what IQ is, right?

>smug response

why do i even come to this board, its nothing but arrogant manchildren

You know what average difference is, right?
iflscience.com/environment/global-temperature-increase-1-degree-caused-sea-level-rises-6-meters/

Yes, most people fall between 85 and 110, a 25 point difference.

If we were comparing them to the retarded then they'd all look smart.

>Linux is being destroyed by Redhat at the request of the US government

Oh I am wearing tinfoil too :)

>Amrican anime with subs
I don't understand.

>pic

>What are some uncomfortable truths about tech?

This is pretty typical in tech.

thread definitely related

This thread is full of reasonably clever bait.
I almost fell for it, and I'm usually really good at not falling for bait.