Mechanical Pencil Thread

What is the best mechanical pencil you have used? Do you have a preferred type of lead? Also other writing implements welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

jetpens.com/Rotring-600-Drafting-Pencil-Replacement-Tip-0.5-mm-Black/pd/8653
officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/staedtler-mars-technico-2mm-mechanical-pencil-st782cbkda
amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEC0JRQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>preferred type of lead

2mm. Yes, 2mm wide.

It's also called a "lead holder" and not a pencil.

what would you recommend for someone who's heavy handed while writing? i usually go for .07mm since it rarely snaps while i write. also most mechanical pencils i've seen have those metal grips that hurt after a while of writing since i put so much pressure. recommendations?

pentel sharp in 0.9mm plastic body so metal grip section

Asides trying to meme, the best one I've tried and used for more than two years is a Staedtler. Hi-tec 05 925 15.

Anyone tried both the Pentel Graphgear 1000 and the Staedtler 925 25-05?

Also, 0,5 or smaller, thought you will need a bunch of mines because they will go in a moment, and 3H. All that shit for design and shit, but for handwriting I just had some weird aftermarket chink pencils made of plastic and one of pure metal of 2mm, but they were all very clean, desu.

I've been using a rOtring 600 (0.5mm) and I think it's fantastic. The solid metal body makes it sturdy yet comfortable. Looks good too.

Pilot s20 is fantastic, although i use my twsbi eco oen more often

If you like metal, the kuru toga is the only way to go. The plastic ones are alright, simply because of the lead turning mechanism, but spend the extra few dollars and get a nice metal one.

Though I have noticed over the years the pencil has gotten lighter, which I didn't really like, but it's still the best "cheap" mechanical pencil I've ever used. Used that pencil primarily for the last 5 years at least.

i've been using the pentel graphgear 500 0.9mm (i think it looks better than the 1000) and i love it.

also using a uni sharp 0.5mm inside my 4+1 in one jetstream

sorry only ever tried the 500

Has anyone tried the Uniball Kuru Toga? There are a few different but they have a weird mechanism to rotate. A few other pencils do that too, how good are they? Also, the metal grip and removable stuff to put on your shirt is very important to me.

i like mine, i have the alpha gel version, it does feel a little light, i only use it fore writing ive heard complaints about it not being good for drawing

I used to have one. The tip was too wobbly for me.

Made the terrible mistake of forgetting to retract the tip and then carrying it in a bag for a few weeks.
The lead assembly never quite recovered. For all that metal casing, the actual pencil parts are still plasticy (arguably by necessity) and not easily disassembled.

I have a rotring 600 and graphgear 1000 coming in in a few days but I wonder how much of an improvement they will be.

I've been using a cheap Uni clifter for 3-4 years and its pretty solid.

Anyone ever go from cheap but reliable plastic pencil to something like the rotring 600 or graphgear 1000?

Call me a pleb, but nothing beats a fresh one of these bad-boys right outa the pack.

Rate

The Shaker of course.

bretty gud/10
why so many duplicates?
how is that eraser?

these things can be snapped in half by a 5th grader
upgrade to a real man's pen.

I use a Kuru-Toga (self sharpening) and a steel Zeebra (super light and aesthetic as all shit).

Cred Forums Pass user since October 2016.

Second this. I love this pencil. Has a great sturdy design that sticks out from the rest. Only thing is I dropped it and of course it fell on the writing side so the feeding mechanism is messed up now. I'll be buying another soon .

Have the exact same one. I love the rotating mechanism and the quality for the price is great. I thought the rotating was just a gimmick but it's honestly not. My notes look visibly cleaner and more uniform. It also helps keep the lead from breaking. I pair it with 2b lead as it creates a nice dark line with minimal pressure and feels so smooth.

If you don't mind splurging a bit id recommend writing on some rhodea paper. It's pricey but feels like writing on clouds.

Got a rotring but it's 0.35mm. Too small for my liking but it has it's purposes. Also have 0.5 and 0.7 pentel graphgear 1000s which are nice.

Not the original poster but my guess is he uses different hardness of leads. People who do animation, drafting, art etc use different hardness leads to get different effects. So if you like a particular pencil you get multiple and fill each with different leads. Some pencils even have rotating selectors where you can see which lead you have inside like pic related.

Instead of buying a new one just buy a replacement tip.

Here's a website that sells them: jetpens.com/Rotring-600-Drafting-Pencil-Replacement-Tip-0.5-mm-Black/pd/8653

how many mm is the diameter of the thingy you grab?

The diameter of the grip is 9.7mm, if that's what you're referring to.

thx.

isn't a bit bulky?

OHTO SUPER PROMECHA

How do they compare to each other, ignoring the difference in lead size?

Not really, it's just about average for most pencils. That measurement is for the roulette (metallic) version, I don't know about the plastic models, but I've used both and it's never been a concern, they're both great.

been using my trusty zebra after i messed up the internals of a kuru toga, probably not gonna replace the latter.

I used pencil for architectural drawing so I need hard lead for sketching and soft lead for designate inking part.

Out of the OHTA, the rOtring, and the Staedler, my favourite was probably the OHTA, because i liked the variable lead feeding thing, but if i had to use one forever it would be the rOtring, becuase you can get real close to the writing end and it feels super solid.

I don't really use pencils anymore since I finished my masters (only used pencils for math and such) so now I mostly use pens.

Anybody have good recommendations for a nice, silver pen? Would love it to write really smooth, but I don't want a big gaudy fountain pen. I would prefer something sleek and minimal.

Any recommendations?

so pen or fountain pen? also price range.

Regular pen, don't want a fountain pen with a nib. Price range? I'd say anything below 200.

Thanks in advanced!

*advance. Sorry, a little tired.

Lamy Dialog 2 or if you don't mind a black pen the lamy 2000 rollerball
pic related its the dialog

Added to my amazon wish list. Thanks!

Honestly, I wouldn't spend anywhere near $200 for a regular pen. For that price you can buy a good fountain pen.

I'd recommend the Pentel EnerGel Alloy RT Gel (Silver), writes smooth and has a comfortable grip.

disguesting

Do fountain pens tend to spill?

I guess I never liked fountain pens cause as a kid I felt it was kind of impractical. Mines always leaked, I had to be careful with the nib, it had a cap I could lose, and whenever I wrote it would look awful cause I can't really write nice lol. I'm a mess. I'd be open to checking them out now that I'm older though, I guess.

This, except 7mm F-grade lead.

Or as I like to call it, lead/holder.

This. Also I tend to throw them out when the eraser runs out.

That grip looks painful.

Is the rotring the best choice for drafting?

Lol'd for the first time in months

Fountain pens normally do not leak, but if they do, then it might be damaged or defective. A majority of fountain pens use ink cartridges that are more convenient and less messy. If you don't want to spill ink or bother refilling your pen manually, that's your best option. There are some that have retractable nibs too.

If you feel that you aren't comfortable buying an expensive fountain pen, you can always buy something like the Pilot Metropolitan for around $15 and try it out.

Been using the Pilot S5 .4 as my daily driver
>light as hell
>weighted more towards tip
>ribbed rubber grip for half of the pencil
>long tip for drafting
>less than $10
never using a different mech pencil again.

good day anons. im looking to get my second ever mechanical pencil tomorrow. so far i was looking at this: officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/staedtler-mars-technico-2mm-mechanical-pencil-st782cbkda
anyone know if these are any good?. i need to buy a pencil from this store asap as i lost mine on a train

Pentel P205 with Tombow 2B leads.

This is why its called a disposable pencil, and not a real mechanical pencil.

That's incredibly wasteful. Please stop.

wtf people actually talk about mechanical pencils and share their experiences tf is this hahahaha.

I have a blue Steadtler clutch pencil from the days of IBM COBOL Coding forms and IBM 5081 punched cards.

What are the recommendations for ballpen / rollerball / gel pencils ?

been using this bad boy for almost everything, but i want to try something new.

sorry. lets wait for the /tpg/ or desktop thread and fuckin circle jerk those instead

>staedtler
is always quality, you should be good.

ballpoint - parker jotter, space pen, jetstream
gel - uniball signo, pilot hitec-c
rollerball - pilot precise v
pencil - look through the thread to see what appeals to you

How is a mechanical pencil better than pic related.
I draw a LOT of graphs and diagrams (study Maths) so I get through a lot of them, is it cheaper to have a mechanical an buy the lead or what

forgot pic

id rather not have to deal with having to sharpen the pencil

It's not necessarily better than a wooden pencil at writing, but it is more convenient and reusable. Mechanical pencils don't have to be sharpened and lead is cheap to replace. You can swap out different hardness of lead without having to carry multiple pencils. It comes down to personal preference. If you take care of them, the good ones can last you for years.

>having a non REG steadtler

kys

Yes. I had a cheap Pentel and upgraded to the graph gear 1000. It was a great upgrade

How was it great? My Pentel doesn't wobble or anything and its pretty solid overall. I haven't gotten my graphgear yet so I'm just wondering what aspects could be improved.

afaik there is no full metal kurutoga anyway

isn't the top barrel still plastic?
nice except for the 500s
that mono zero is a good find. Didn't know they existed

also this pilot 4+1 which is great for notetaking and for using on the go

have a graphgear 500 as well

Mostly the feel. The graph gear feels nice in my hand, it very solid and has a retractable tip

I have a $5 Pentel .5 Twist Erase pencil. It does me fine.

Just saw this on amazon:
amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEC0JRQ

Seems like a steal, should I get it?

pretty good deal

Technology board you fucking autist... not every thread has to be about brokepads, chinks, pajeets and loonix.

This thread appears like once a week so its not as bad, calm your tits or gtfo

Exactly that's why I don't get why morons are questioning the thread.

the erasers are absolute garbage though. smudgy as all hell

My current collection. I actually just ordered a steel series Staedtler 0.5 and 2mm. I don't like 0.7. I generally prefer 2mm, but I use 0.5 when I need absolutely fine lines and when sharpening wound be impractical.

or the write in the rain 1.1mm pencil

Rotring is the apple of pencils

pic related is great.

I just got one of these last week, and it's wonderful. I was torn between the silver and black, ended up with the black and I really like it. Only thing I have a problem with is that shit gets caught in the knurling. Everything else is wonderful, though I'm still feeling a bit of sticker shock from the fact that I paid over $20 for a pencil.

Except that thing at the top hiding the eraser will eventually (probably after two weeks tops) fall off in your bag and you'll never ever fucking find it. It's like the acer laptop that has decent specs but will eventually melt itself.

Hey faggit, why did you reverse your image?

lol good analogy. I agree zebras are basically flashy disposables

>$11 fucking dollars
You can buy a mech pencil that will last much longer for that price

too motherfucking lazy to take my own

I use a GraphGear 500 0.3, really nice pencil.

The rotating 600 is about 30 dollars, I think, by itself. So 11 isn't too bad. I don't say this for many things but the build quality of their pencils is worth the premium you pay.

Have a red circle thin, tip came bent, but i bent it back into place and it works, can't justify more money spend then what that cost for a pencil.

I would consider getting one of those japanese rotating pencils that every press changes how the led is on the paper, for me that would probably reduce the size of pencil lines by 3/4

Is there a mechanical pencil similar in quality to the rotring 600 but not a tip that will bend?

What notebooks do you guys like to use?

could just get an 800 for the retractable tip

There's a lot of bad reviews for it, unfortunately.

I have been using one daily for about 2 years now and its still going strong. The retractable tip is the reason i got it over the 600 in the first place. 0.7mm for what it's worth.

I'd heavily recommend getting the Alpha Gel variant. It's comfy as fuck. I do own that roulette one too, it looks good.

Achète un Jetstream de chez Uniball, y'a pas mieux dans le genre fluidité d'écriture. La version alpha gel est bien roxor aussi mais un peu plus chère. Les deux variantes se rechargent pour pas trop cher.

>Feeling the need to show manliness through a pencil
Lol

>2016
>not using 60% pencil
kek, its like you want to be a retard. 60% pencils unlike full size pencils are more efficient because theres less distance from tip to the end of it.
check out my custom pencil project, 79$ pencilcaps just arrived

They're so cheap too, when I buy I pack I go through them in a few months. The second the eraser is too small or it runs out of lead I just grab a new one.

Daiso brand knock off muji notebooks or bazic composition notebook both for about $1 and both take fountain pen ink pretty well

Rhodia, lechturm, moleskin

What's wrong with real pencils?

nothing, some people just like mechanical ones. Mine is heavier than any pencil so i can just let it rest on a page and move it around rather than pushing down and still get a dark enough line and i really like the knurle on the grip.

I have a 0.5

I love this thing. Feels a little cheap, but it's fun.

0.4 i didnt know that was a thing