Its over

its over

SHIT

i dont get it. does this mean firefox wont be complete shit?

>Doctor Pepper

is dr pepper the official drink of Cred Forums?

The Register being shit at technology again I see.

yes but you can be sure they arent spinning it like that

>will linux's browser be saved because adobe support is ending in 2017

yes, this is entirely the reason they're doing this, because its shipped with every distro, nobody uses it on proper OS'

i always uninstall it every time i install a distro.

The Netscape Plugin API is complete shit. Mozilla has been working on trying to address some of the shortcomings with it but I guess they decided it was just easier to adopt the Pepper Plugin API instead.

PDF.js is a good viewer but it's slow as fuck and quite memory intensive. That's probably why they're thinking of going native with PDFium.

whats even more pathetic is that people were already making github hacks to emulate the windows version of flash for atleast 2-3 years now but was buggy as fuck

and now mozilla is probably stealing that work and just polishing it a bit

>slow

compared to what?

the adobe's own readers are slow as fuck, have a shitty search function that wont search as you type

the google pdf and office plugins are 100x more functional to use than the official viewing applications for any of those documents

talking about memory in 2016 when 16 gigs is 50 dollars is a meme now

>saving Moz's programmers from having to develop and maintain their own

Okay.

Other than being SJW's and introducing 'features' no one asked for, what is it that they do, exactly? What is the life of a Moz programmer?

>How can we be a Chrome clone and not drive away our userbase entirely
>oh wait

its sad that microsoft makes better browsers then mozilla.

how much longer till they "adopt" blink to "save developers time" because their bloatware is still run as a single process in 2016 and thusly has zero protection from full crashes or shitty sites that attempt to hijack your thread and you cant manually just kill the 1 thread's process thru task manager like chrome

>compared to what?
>the adobe's own readers are slow as fuck, have a shitty search function that wont search as you type
Compared to PDFium presumably. Maybe other PDF reader plugins too. Foxit reader has the ability to read PDF files inline in-browser.

>talking about memory in 2016 when 16 gigs is 50 dollars is a meme now
Smartphones. Low memory and a lot of them are 32bit so they can only address

>using a smartphone to handle documents

also literally nobody uses firefox on android, opera mini has been the leader for years,

those are unusual ways to use "doctor" and "crib"

>doctor Pepper

It really is. This coming from someone still running Firefox and have been since version 3.0 years ago.

Although at this point their decisions are beginning to make even die-hards like me question if I'm going to continue running it in the near future.

All these people in the "foundation" and not one person to watch charts of their market share tanking? It's baffling. It's as if they go out of their way for bad press and the public perception of being fucking lazy, SJW's that leech up whatever they can as they ride the boat to the bottom.

LOL nice file name, do they even make jolt anymore?

Man I just don't understand Cred Forums. You people complain that Mozilla is "making Firefox into chrome clone" and then praise Microsoft for making IE into a chrome clone. What the do you people even want?

revolutionary thought, why not just install chrome instead?

inb4 hurr durr it's a botnet from people that run google's captcha botnet everyday.

Google botnet is a legitimate concern.

Some people on *nix systems are installing chrome/chromium specifically to use websites that require flash because chrome has a flash plugin that is actually up to date. Mozilla could allow these people to remove chrome from their system if they just supported the flash plugin that chrome uses.

The sad thing is that content still requires flash in the first place though honestly.

>praise Microsoft for making IE into a chrome clone
Right. If you're going to clone something, do it right. That's why it's brought up.

>What the do you people even want?
A unique browser. Which is what is was and how they built the market share they once had as well. Not a frankengoogle with bloat features. Reader (never used it and could care less), Pocket (or whatever the hell it is, never used it and removed the icon), the newtab memepage no one asked for, the telemetry botnet no one asked for, i forgot the latest one since I'm running Firefox-ESR but Hello or something? Some meme chat/social garbage.

It's not like you can tell them directly. They'll just delete your post.

So basically Mozilla should just remove everything and start over with almost nothing. I'm sure if they actually did that you'd complain anyway though.

>Not a frankengoogle with bloat features. Reader (never used it and could care less), Pocket (or whatever the hell it is, never used it and removed the icon), the newtab memepage no one asked for, the telemetry botnet no one asked for, i forgot the latest one since I'm running Firefox-ESR but Hello or something? Some meme chat/social garbage.

Basically all of the things you've listed are html+css+js files that take up no system resources aside from the few KBs of disk space required to store them on disk. They're lazy loaded like basically all of firefox so they're used on demand. Mozilla is actually getting rid of them apparently, they're turning them into addons and splitting them off now. I think the original reason they didn't do this before was the lack of a proper API to allow this to happen so these addons were used to build one.

they should have fucking done something in the last 20 years

fucking google has only been making a browser since 2008 and they switched to Blink back end processing mid-way between that

so cuckzilla fags cant even rest on the meme of "google had a chance to build from the ground up"

no they fucking rebuilt on top of their original archiac design

Blink is a fork of webkit you dumbass. Google broke away from upstream so they could drop all of the code they didn't use from webkit from their repo.

Mozilla is super fucking un-self-aware in regards to how both their userbase AND developer userbase refuses to evolve in terms of how Firefox works. Despite x64 versions of FF being in the wild for years before they hit mainstream, along with development channels promoting FF x64 as the next big thing in terms of memory management, absolutely no one bothered to ensure their shit works with both x86 and x64 versions, so while Waterfox and co. were starting to hit, a good chunk of extensions were fucked, and stayed fucked for a while until devs acknowledged that FF x64 is a thing that exists

The guy behind ImageZoom was a huge faggot in this case, as he and other devs saw 64-bit builds as a wholly-optional thing (read: experimental, unofficial, and unsupported), and outright ignored glaring extension issues if a 64-bit FF was being used

That's hardly an issue with extensions now though, because the next big issue is how completely fucking broken E10S is with anything other than the most mainstream extensions. Again, multiprocess support has been a thing for years, and once fucking more, devs are treating it as an experimental, unofficial, and unsupported feature, meaning that they have no obligation to make their extensions work with it, so another major browser feature is in a state of limbo because a single process works good enough, so what's the point of innovating?

There's also Shumway, the Flash-killer that's done nothing resembling murdering Flash. It works fine if you use it on only the most basic Flash content, but years later, it still can't handle even a quarter of streaming video, if it even detects and intercepts it. The fact they're bastardizing Flash support from Chrome only highlights how fucking dead Shumway truly is

>So basically Mozilla should just remove everything and start over with almost nothing.

Essentially, yes. A simple browser. What they started with.

If you're old enough to remember why people started using Firefox (I'm talking early 2000's here) you'd know why that would work.

>Basically all of the things you've listed are html+css+js files that take up...

Who cares? Clearly the user base doesn't. Plus that doesn't address the fact that no one asked for them. It's to a point where after each update you have to spend 10mins researching (and ultimately disabling) some new feature they dreamed up to be trendy.

I don't want either flash or a pdf viewer in my browser.

Not sure about the cans but they still sell glass bottles of them.

>pdf
>flash
>pocket
>hello, etc
junk that shit

firefox was originally netscape with all of the bloated shit taken out
now? i've actually heard that seamonkey (netscape's successor) is actually less resource intensive than firefox.

firefox is supposed to be a simple bare-bones web browser with strong extendability
not a personal organiser instant messaging office suite.

i recently used an old version of firefox in an old install of centos.
clicking a pdf link opened up gnome's pdf browser quicker than modern firefox opens up it's pdf.js abortion
why can't it just go back to being like this?

>talking about memory in 2016 when 16 gigs is 50 dollars is a meme now

You are the kind of person that will forever be poor because you don't understand having a lot of something doesn't mean you can or should squander it. Enjoy your Apple faggot devices, overweight-related conditions and shit life in general.

>2016
>Firefox hasn't switched to Blink yet

Back into cold storage it goes. I'll check again in 2018.

>pepper API
Fucking disgusting.
That shit is insanely slower compared to NP API.

I noticed this back on Drawball scripting days.
I wrote the fastest dot filling script for that.
When Pepper first came out, that script would repeatedly disconnect me for drawing too fast.
Took me a month of testing to realise it was shitty Pepper flash causing it. (Indirectly at that, went back to NP because of another site entirely)
It has horrible slowdown, network-wise, and when you add more SVG geometry, it gets logarithmically slower.
It get's to a point where the flash layer is lagging like when an OS is overloaded to the point the mouse icon starts skipping large segments between a->b translations.