Literally why do we even have switches anymore? Routers are vastly superior in pretty much every area

Literally why do we even have switches anymore? Routers are vastly superior in pretty much every area.
>IP routing protocols... Switchfags BTFO
>IP routed protocols... Switchfags BTFO
>Internet traffic... Switchfags BTFO
>VLAN creation... Switchfags BTFO
>Virtual interfacing... Switchfags BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/atheism
mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

?

Are you fucking serious?
You want a full router interface for a single device?

Well, one useful instance that comes to mind is networking multiple machines without a router.

are you a neet by any chance?
stick to your gpu threads.

We have 2000 ports in teh company I work, at our main building... lets use routers to cover all those...

Are you retarded OP or you just read a 5 line article about routers and you think you are a network guru now???

>router for every device

You don't know what you're talking about or you're only looking at it from a residential user point of view.

>or
Why not both?

Faggot if you want to troll, at least follow it up.

Until then, go back and read introduction to networking, of go play a game and leave that shit, it clearly is beyond your comprehension

>at least follow it up.
With what? I made my case. There is nothing that Switches can do that Routers can not do better and faster. You niggers bitching about "scalability" are just poorfags who are afraid to splurge on a few extra IP addresses, so you're literally not even worth talking to.

>posting le dead candyman.
>>reddit.com/r/atheism

Even a basic understanding of networking would allow you to understand how retarded your statement is.

You have no idea what you're talking about, you dumb nigger.
Saged and hidden

Never go full retard

Routers are smart but you only need 1. Switches are for extending the network to increase the number of concurrent users/devices.

>power
>latency
>unnecessarily complex network hierarchy

idk op, u tell me

The problem is that that is simply not true. You're either an idiot or this is an awful shitposting/trolling attempt.

Switches DO have specialized ASIC's custom made for switching, which allows them to process frames at a faster rate than with regular hardware.

They cant do express forwarding you fucking asswipe.

Are you the Cred Forums IT-man? No wonder why this site is going under with slant-eyed m00t at the helm.

Because switches are just for extending the network you dumb nigger

>in b4 i was only pretending to be retarded :^)

Switches are good at what they do. Routers increase latency or some shit
>have $100ish linksys router connected to another router
>try to gayme
>cant even join
>sometimes lets me in a gayme with 1 other person
>buy switch
>gayme through that
>absolutely no problems

"o no he used an old fashioned meme correctly reddit boogeyman is invadeeeeeng D::::::"

>Dedicated router, WAP, and switch masterrace

ITT switch faggots on suicide watch

Considering this is shit thread, lets turn it into something remotely useful

How does one learn openwrt or dd-wrt? What is it like compared to cisco ios?

A UPS on every device instead of a plugboard and a single UPS. ok.

>How does one learn openwrt or dd-wrt?
By using it retard.

cisco ios is 10 times more complex

cant really do much on ddwrt and openwrt except the most basic things because they are mainly for routers only

Literally why do we even have routers anymore?
l3 switches can do everything a router can do 10x better (+ much more)

But even those basic things are better than native OSs companies put into their routers, right?

Jesus. You are a dumb breed of retard.
Install it.
Fuck around.
Restore whenever you screw up bad enough.
Done.
Now get out.

geez, do you also suggest people to learn whole networking by just messing with it?

learn IOS, get a job as a cisco engineer, learn ...wrt and write about it in Cred Forums

Get my point?

Well if you suggest using OpenWRT or DD-WRT in a business context then a bunch of people will laugh at you, so there's that.

Literally why do we even have computers anymore? Tablets are vastly superior in pretty much every area.
>IP routing protocols... Computefags BTFO
>videogames... Computefags BTFO
>onboard wi-fi... Computefags BTFO
>portability... Computefags BTFO
>built in 32-64gb flash storage... Computefags BTFO

QUICK!

Someone recommend me a DOCSIS 3.0 Comcast compatible modem with at least 300MB up and down!

Cisco Catalyst 3200 or 4600 APX.

I didn't say anything about an invasion. I was just mentioning a place I thought you would find more welcoming then here, kiddo.

Note compatible with Comcast

tis how i learned

posted from my iPad

>Jesus. You are a dumb breed of retard
As opposed to a smart breed of retard?
Do you have certain standards for retardation or is English your second language?

"Tis how you THINK you learned

Read their fucking compatibility list, you fucking idiot.

Get a better ISP, newfag.

DO you see those modems ANYWHERE ON HERE?!

mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

Comcast is the best in my area. Bite me

Yes, dipshit.

XD

>this thread
Christ, contain your autism Cred Forumsentoomen.
Also OP confirmed for massive faggot, more news at 5.

Move to a better area, poorcuck.

I don't know, I don't fucking care since I never recommended you shit. Ask them, not us. They know what you can use and they even provide you with a handy list that you can filter with the features you want. Eat 10000 dicks for being such a lazy shit.

Then don't fucking reply to me then retard. If you aren't this guy then fuck off?

Holy fuck are all of you people retarded? This router has 48 ports, do people seriously use switches in 2016?

>do people seriously use switches in 2016?
Nah. Only poorfags.

>poor
>dude just move lmao
I realize this is bait, but come on man.

I don't care you stupid faggot ass bitch. I gave you the only real solution, you should be sucking my ball hairs off.

Why do you think it's bait? You clearly reside in a shithole that's not worth living in, if your best option is cuck-cast. Why wouldn't you move? What do you have to lose?

what do you mean routers?

layer three switches?

>tfw NEET switchfag at age 25, and still not good with computers or people.
I feel like a nerd without the benefits that are supposed to come with nerdiness. Should I kill myself tonight, Cred Forums?

No, he means routers.

>which switch packets at LAYER 3 of the OSI model you dumb fuck.

>You clearly reside in a shithole that's not worth living in
No, that isn't clear at all.

I was able to figure it out, so it's clear enough.

I was asking for suggestions from the compatibility list. Your reply was "hurrr read the compatibility list" so how does that help? Fuck off

>Completely missing the point

You obviously aren't old enough to have your own place

>Why do you think it's bait?
Because no mentally sane person thinks ISP availability determines if a place is worth living.

You're talking to a father of four. When I heard Google Fiber was coming to Arizona, I made the whole family say goodbye to their friends and packed our shit in the van and drove ahead for 18 hours straight.

>Your reply was "hurrr read the compatibility list" so how does that help?
If you clean the nut from your brain water maybe you'd be able to think for yourself. You can filter features and then look up reviews for the ones you see or just fucking pick one because it doesn't really matter as long as they're DOCSIS 3. Go nut in your son.

this is a switch

>layer 3 capability
>switch

Just fuck off man, you were of no use to me then, and you're of even less use now. I am aware you can filter results, but they are all practically DOCSIS 3.0 compatible. I am asking specifically which of these results are they best, which manufacturers are the most reputable. I don't care if you don't know, just stop replying to me because you're a fucking down syndrome potato.

Yes, layer 3 switches exist.

This is the opposite of true though. There isn't even a need for routers anymore is 95% of scenarios. A layer 3 switch can do everything necessary. Unless you are pushing tons of traffic and using heavy protocols like BGP there isn't even a point anymore for a dedicated router.

L3 switches typically have only basic ACLs between subnets, though. So if you need something complex you'll still need a router.

No, you would use an actual firewall on top of the layer 3 switch.

The only use for a router at this point is WAN capabilities and large routing tables.

>I made the whole family say goodbye to their friends and packed our shit in the van and drove ahead for 18 hours straight.

I don't believe this.

>No, you would use an actual firewall on top of the layer 3 switch.
You would?

>tfw doing BGP on our switch

Oh look, it's the hourly Cred Forums makes a thread

Quiet switchfag.

You have to be trolling OP. Nobody is this retarded and allowed anywhere near an internet connection.

What are layer 3 switches for $100 Alex?

Off yourself faggot, you are literally fucking retarded.
I really feel bad for you parents.

Isn't it just a wireless hub?

As a network engineer, let me just say I hate you "layer 3 switch"-fags. You're as bad as cloud-you-name-it salesmen.

L3 switches aren't meant to replace routers though
Maybe in the smallest of environments
Switches with up tagging is just kinda nice to have

If you have a lot of subnets that you need high performance routing between, there's no substitute for a layer 3 switch.

So you're saying that pic related is better than a switching solution?

Are you trolling are are you retarded?

If it SWITCHES it is a SWITCH.
If it ROUTES it is a ROUTER.
If it HAS A LOT OF FUCKING PORTS it HAS A LOT OF FUCKING PORTS.

That's just me venting, I do agree with you though, they have a practical place in large-scale networks. I just find them improperly implemented 99% of the time because some slick marketer played buzzword bingo with some sucker.
>mfw

>If it ROUTES it is a ROUTER.
Except an L3 switch only has basic L3 functionality. Some of them won't even do anything but static routing.

>Except an L3 switch only has basic L3 functionality. Some of them won't even do anything but static routing.
>Some of them won't even do anything but static routing.
>do anything but static routing.
>static routing.
>routing.

Meanwhile an actual router is going to be doing far more than static routes.

Nigger, do you want to spend all fucking month setting up static routes for your entire god damn network?

Is it bad that I have a router connected to a gateway that has the primary WAN port connected to an external IPS machine with an IP pass-through on both to-Gateway and to-Router ports?

Sure I'll just provision 48-port Cisco ISR's (those exist, r-right you guise?) and instead of stacking them I'll chain them together with their gigabit interfaces.

And then every endpoint with a VoIP phone I'll provision a 12 volt power adapter and a 100 Mbit netgear hub for their computer and phone to share (because I blew all my money on ISR's and couldn't terminate all the runs) because I can't have none of that store-and-forward overhead. No sir, let the VLAN's free float in euphoria.

This thread is retarded.

Sage.

>rooter
>rooter
>rooter

That's not even close to how it works lmao

Wait a minute, doesn't that network make all packets go through all the rooters to every computer almost like a hub?

>mfw my networking professor regularly says "rooter" and other tech terms incorrectly on purpose every class

Security

Less unnecessary protocols waiting for a 0day

Less overhead

More relevant ASICs

Fewer points of failure

U r dum an I h8 u

All valid reasons to use switches instead of superfluous routers.

The trick here is the WAN addresses have to route back to the internal network of each router, basically each node here has to go through NAT to communicate with other nodes, this causes undue latency

>this hole fucking thread.
i can't even. i eman. jesus.what is even happening on Cred Forums right now are these new smartphones releasing autism gas?

stop being stupid you daft moron.

Obviously never worked in a enterprise environment. Go pitch that bullshit to a CTO and let us know how that works out for you.

This entire thread is so savage

Yes.

whats a WAP

not him, but why?

doubtful.

>tfw my rouer has a built in switch

A layer 3 switch is literally the definition of a router.

>3750-x
>Router

Literally why do we even have trains anymore? Boats are vastly superior in pretty much every area.

While we're at it, let's replace every outlet in the office with individual power generators. Good idea amirite?

Fuck man this thread did it colour me triggered

t. Network Admin

>destroying the lives of your entire immediate family just so you can get faster internet which none of them besides you cares about
I can honestly see some of you fags doing this

>network admin
Then can you explain this:

>have $100ish linksys router connected to another router

double NAT with consumer tier routers

Switches only need to receive the frame, look at the MAC addresses and forward it accordingly. In more complex topologies, it may pop some vlan tagging onto it.

Routers need to decapsulate the L2 frame, make a routing decision, gather the next destination MAC and re-encapsulate the whole frame, which includes calculating a new checksum.

NAT Routers additionally need to deencapsulate the L3 frame and translate the IP addresses and keep track of the connections (PAT).

Businesss routers might have specialized hardware for those tasks, but your run-of-the-mill consumer router will do it in software, on a very weak platform.

And you're doing all these steps twice with double nat, which will also create issues with port forwarding, nat punchthrough and else.

cool, thanks.
Ill have to look those terms up, but the gist of it is:
routers open up the packet, change shit, the repackage it into a new packet then send it on its way
switches just check the mac and forward it without opening it
Right?

>I Don't Understand Layer 2: The Post

Wireless Access Point

jesus

Regarding home networking, yeah.

routers open up the packet, change shit, the repackage it into a new packet then send it on its way. switches just check the mac and forward it without opening it
That's basically it, though a router won't deencapsulate the frame so long as the destination is within the same network. What you probably needed to do was bridge the two routers together so they created a single internal network, this should avoid the potential double NAT issue.

There's technical reason why using two routers would make games unplayable. If that were the case then using one router would just be half as bad.

>There's no technical reason
durf

I just plugged the "internet in" port of the second router into one of the four out ports of the first router.
The way it worked itself out was the first routers network was 192.168.0.X and the second routers output, which was where all of my stuff, was was 192.168.1.X.
It was horrible. Browsing the web was fine but games was usually just a lobby with myself and sometimes one other person.
Tried port forwarding to the second router and then port forwarding from the second router to the device but that didn't work. I don't recall a bridging option either, I might just have been too stupid at the time to know what it mean though.

Go back to dumb faggot

Eh, he might understand Layer 2, he is just stupidly comparing it to Layer 3 which is kinda dumb. They are their own distinct layers and you can't get away from using Layer 2, it's just that unless you actually need to use the Layer 3 features there's no point in consuming more power just to operate in Layer 2 modes.

You can do IP routing, but how many networks are you operating?
You can create VLANs, but do you need to?
You can create virtual interfaces, but do you need to?
You can do link bundling, but do you need to?
Actually, link bundling is probably the most useful of the potential features you could get out of Layer 3 Switches in the home and he didn't even mention it.

>I just plugged the "internet in" port of the second router into one of the four out ports of the first router.
See, that's your problem. The WAN port is handled differently.
If you had just plugged it into one of the LAN ports they would have been acting as plain switches.

>but how many networks are you operating?
not op, but two sometimes three. One right now though.
>virtual interfaces, but do you need to?
yes.
>You can do link bundling, but do you need to?
Is that where I forward packets from one nic to a virtual interface that connects through a different nic that is on an entirely separate network? if so, yes.

Hmm, you just peaked my interest. I didnt know a router could function like that, taking signal in through its out port.
I thought the routers ports were like master/slave type things.
Ill have to try that

If you have a router with with a switch built in (4 port or 8 port or whatever) then for all intents and purposes that switch functions just like a Layer 2 Switch, which means you can chain them together.
This does of course mean that all the traffic from one side will go across a single link to the other, but if that isn't an issue then it isn't an issue.

Now, if you install something like OpenWRT you can (sometimes? usually?) take command of each individual port and set up VLANs and such because the device is a Layer 3 Switch (aka router).

By default the switch acts as a single Interface on the router and the WAN port acts as another Interface with the only way of crossing between the two Interfaces being Layer 3 routing.

Dude, I feel so much stuff right now.
Like a year or two of frustration from 7 years ago just came back and its mixed with relief and 3 levels of it doesn't even matter anymore.
Like I don't even game anymore, used a switch, and now use a computer with multiple nics.. it really doesn't even matter at this point.. but what the fuck.. the answer was so obvious, and I knew it had to be obvious at the time but I tried the most complicated bullshit in vein.

>Is that where I forward packets from one nic to a virtual interface that connects through a different nic that is on an entirely separate network? if so, yes.
That sounds like a VLAN.

Link Bundling is where you make multiple links act as a single link, so two 1Gbits links gives you 2Gbits of bandwidth across it, four links gives you 4Gbits. They act as a single link, so, for example, if you set up a server properly with multiple NICs you could bundle them together and have like a 40Gbps connection from your server to your switch which would allow four 10Gbps clients to saturate themselves. Or you use it to connect several switches together so you don't have a bottleneck that a single client could saturate.

Oh, I know what youre talking about.
Isnt that called "bonding" in linux? (Netctl only? plz dont shoot)

Perhaps. It goes under a number of names
Trunking
Link Aggregation
Bundling
Bonding, I guess.

So I'm new at this local networks thing

I still don't understand dick my only interaction with networks is blocking ports and setting up SMB so I could play ps2 games through a fucking ethernet cable

ok

>tfw I'm watching Beast right now
Beast is pretty good

hell no we just use this cool new webframework called ROUTE.js

Routers are objectively better, if you're too retarted to read.

Hijacking shit troll thread:

Lets say you walk into small office company with 1 pc acting as server and 20 workstations. You install Winserver 2012 because that's what the boss bought and you have to install 20 windows machines and attach them to the server. What's the best way you do this? PXE install?

MDT + WDT, or if you want to go full out, SCCM (which is basically MDT + WDT + some other stuff anyway).

Wdt...you mean wds?

whats mdt and wdt

is this bait?
I don't think you understand the difference between routers and switches.
The networking world is moving towards Layer 3 switches now.

>Switching ethernet frames between hosts on the same LAN
>using layer 3

I don't think you understand

Kill yourself you are a complete retard.

Microsoft Deplay Toolkit

routers block broadcasts and this diagram would magically use the ISP for internal routing.

I wish this was true at my company