My girlfriend goes to college

My girlfriend goes to college
she lives at dorm
internet is available but routers are forbidden

she and her roomate Darius cant use wiifi on their smartphones, and notebooks.
Need to use switch and connect with cable like its 20th century or something

if she were to use a router, configured not to transmit SSID, would she be safe?
Or is there some other way?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B012LSJ6IK/
dd-wrt.com/site/index
itunes.apple.com/us/app/wi-fi-sweetspots/id855457383?mt=8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

buy an AP, it's not a router

Such a thinly veiled troll thread.

She would be safer, but not entirely safe. If the university employs a WIDS then they could theoretically find them, but it would be difficult. Make sure to hide it every time the room is gonna be inspected

my wife's son tried the same thing when i took away his internet access, but after some monitoring i caught his mac address responding to a hidden ssid beacon and grounded him for a month :)

4/10

>configured not to transmit SSID
It can still be detected by a competent person.
If the smartphone supports USB OTG, you can plug in the phone to used the wired connection.

anyone with even a quarter of a brain would be able to find the exact room it is in within minutes.

I'm sure she and Darius will find something else to do that doesn't require Internet. :^)

the aim is at comfort

How? Specifically.
I am sure the staff is able to walk the hallways with smartphone and wifi analyzer app
but is that all it takes?
I did not tested it

>I am sure the staff is able to walk the hallways with smartphone and wifi analyzer app

Yes, if you don't hide the SSID it's that easy. If you hide the SSID and make the MAC blend in then you're going to have to force somebody to bring out a laptop with Kismet or something. If they have to break out tools like that, you better hope they don't find you

>the aim is at comfort
What's wrong with wired? Its more reliable and no risk of getting the packets sniffed.

Did this last year at school. Just hid my ssid. I honestly don't think they'd care as long as theyre not torrenting without a vpn

>Darius
>GFS ROOMMATE

Connect one laptop to the ethernet and then setup an ad hoc WiFi network.

Some apple devices might cry like little bitchies and won't connect to an ad hoc network but that's what you get for buying apple.

For extra l33tnees you can name the wkfi network like one WiFi printer HP injekt something

This thread
xD xD xD
Learn dump fuck what is dhcp, and by running dhcp server on laptop/router (with you must do) exept when router or provided internet is bidged.
You will alert network.
ccna here

no

>Or is there some other way?
She could move out of the dorm.

Seriously, you let your gf room with a dude named Darius? Let me guess, your gf is white and Darius is black, right?

Why are routers forbidden?

because op is atroll

Even though they can't connect to the internet, I'm sure your gf still gets the BBC.

>connect one laptop to cable
>airbase-ng
???
>profit

dunno what you guys arguing about
it doesnt matter if its router or a PC
the rest of the network does not see behind the device

also it would still used wifi

imagine dorm with 500 rooms and then imagine that everyone brings some cheap router to get wifi from the wall
at least thats my assumption

Most university dorms forbid wireless routers for a combination of reasons:

>Totally fucks up wireless spectrum near the dorms, making any existing wireless useless
>Allows more devices on the network than it was designed for
>Allows devices to bypass endpoint security software usually required by universities
>Dumb shits join rogue APs and get MitM'd

post photos of your girlfriend, op

>She and her roommate Darius
have fun being a literal cuck op, hope her vagina settles nicely

>IOS update.
>several hundreds internet service is slow as fuck as every normie on campus is pushing updates for 3+ devices.

dhcp relay, why would they need dhcp server on a laptop

>the rest of the network does not see behind the device
Oh my fucking god, just look up what is arp dhcp

Ahhh, another one bites the bait

Then they're going to have entries in their DHCP table for the devices that are not supposed to be there. It has to be NATd

>dhcp relay
when you have asigned one,
you mi

oh shit, it's candleja-

>she and her roomate Darius

we don't know in this elaborate troll how many eth connections they are allowed to have in a room

Are you retarded? Candlejack hasn't been around fo

>If the smartphone supports USB OTG, you can plug in the phone to used the wired connection.
Oh?

Use a little alfa wifi router and set it up to be hidden.

>cant use wiifi on their smartphones
>connect with cable
what the fuck is wrong with you

amazon.com/gp/product/B012LSJ6IK/

if pic related is your gf, nice bro. hope she is into bdsm

/thread

what the fuck is this Candlejack thi

>old ios was absolutely perfect and it's never coming back

With standard security controls on switch ports they're going to find out pretty quickly that something isn't right.

Hey you fuckers better finish your sentences. This is annoying to see and what is up with Candlejack? Who the fuck is h

1. Get a router that has the ability to install open source software like dd-wrt.com/site/index

2. Connect the laptop to the router and see how much information you can pull from the laptop, IP, MAC, network name, whatever.

3. Plug the laptop into the school network and copy all the network settings.

4. Copy the MAC, IP and anything else that the computer was putting out to the network onto the router.

5. Make sure the router doesn't broadcast that's it's a router or anything stupid like that, so change the network name.

6. Now make sure that the local clients are completely isolated/hidden from the network on the other side of the router.

7. Finally, turn down your broadcast signal strength as much as possible and hide your SSID. Wouldn't take a person any more than a smart phone app to find your hidden broadcast. itunes.apple.com/us/app/wi-fi-sweetspots/id855457383?mt=8

>dat ring
someone's getting married and it ain't OP

>her roomate Darius
got me till there
6/10, try more subtlety next time

sauce on the grill pls

>she and her roomate Darius

Back in Uni the halls had a similar set up (no rules to be punished with but if the TTL is not an even number it would block packets) My workaround was to set up a openwrt router with an iptables rule that changed the TTL to something even, I always put 128.

>girlfriend being cucked by a nig
>wife's son
c u c k s
Please tell me this is samefag trying to bait
4/10 got me to start to reply before I caught on

We were told no routers and I just used one anyway . People use their laptops to make an access point anyway , literally the whole place had laptops as access points . Though what I found interesting is the router didn't work till I changed its mac address to that of my pc which was the first thing I plugged in . It worked on that it would only accept the mac address of the first thing plugged in

This is probably just a troll thread, but do they actually enforce the no routers policy?

My college has a similar rule, and pic related is the routers visible from my room.

University IT staff here.

We don't give a shit what you do as long as it doesn't cut into our reddit or gaming time. We put barriers in place, but if you can get past them, we aren't going to come kick your door down unless you're being malicious.

can you prove those SSIDs are broadcasting from a router?

>girlfriend
>my

I can prove mine is.

>believing op's "gf" exists
>using the smiley with a carat nose

your girlfriend doesn't need an AP, she is getting all that BBPP from Darius you miserable cuck.

They don't care.

Just hook a router up.

If they bitch then you can remove it.

Not like she will get in trouble for it.

>believing op's "gf" exists

Give it back Jamal

>It can still be detected by a competent person.
>anyone with even a quarter of a brain
We're talking university ITS. She'll be fine.

>If you hide the SSID and make the MAC blend in
That's all she needs to do.
>...then you're going to have to force somebody to bring out a laptop with Kismet
See above.

>wife's son
>c u c k s
What is a step-son?

Would totally bang Garth/10

number 4 is very important