Pleaee help out a noob pro/g/rammer Cred Forums

Pleaee help out a noob pro/g/rammer Cred Forums
I'm coding C++ in uni and our professor recommended us to code and debug with Dev C++, Code Blocks, or visual studio
What do you guys recommend? Also is visual studio code worth using?

As much as I hate Microsoft, visual studio is a great product.

What do you think about vs code?

Im learning C++ from youtube tutorials and Im using codeblocks because its what the poo-in-loo is using in his videos. I don't even know if it makes a big difference as to what you use. Learning to write the code is more important than what its compiled on.

If you can't manage your school works with your own preferred IDE you are not going to be a great programmer.

I graduated using only KDevelop (although I used to use notepad++ before switching to Linux)

This will be my first and last post ITT

If you want easy mode, use visual studio 2015 (or 2016?) community. Hard mode is using a compiler on Linux like gcc or g++. Medium mode is code blocks I guess. Visual studio code is for web programming shiet.

It's actually better in terms of speed then it's FOSS alternative Atom. To be honest though, if you have no idea how to write code, an ide is a bit like cheating due to code auto complete suggestions. If your uni tested you on being able to write code on paper, then your better off using a text editor so you can actually learn the syntax rather than having the ide do most of the work.

Get bash on windows and install vim. Compile manually with gcc. It's the only way you're going to learn anything. VS is good but you gotta earn it.

That's not entirely true Linux shill. Visual Studio 2015 capabilites is very wide ranged. Like many full stack architecture, it is quite cumbersome to set up for the ones they don't support out of the box.

>Knowledge of IDEs = good programmer
>Not using vim/emacs

Vi or equivalent. You wanna learn you do things the hard way. Clang is the goat compiler though.

I've never hired someone who couldn't use vim. It's that good of a predictor of a good employee. Students who aren't using it should start now.

Don't be a fag, install gnu/linux and spacemacs.

Vim is fucking autistic

Use Qt creator

K D E V E L O P

If you aren't autistic we don't want to hire you. Normies belong in sales anyway.

> using gcc or g++
> not simply make
kys

>Code Blocks, or visual studio

I am only familiar with these two. It doesn't matter for entry level shit. Code Blocks is easier and simpler, but worse for complex stuff and collaboration.

Do not use text editors on C++. That is fucking stupid.

Text editors make you learn.

Visual Studio, it's just more intuitive

No fuckface

LEARNING MAKES YOU LEARN

If you're gonna go with an IDE, I recommend QtCreator.

Otherwise, I recommend a good text editor, such as Vim, Emacs, Nano, Sublime Text, or Atom, GCC for your compiler, GNU Make for your build system, and GDB as a debugger.

Visual studio is great but learn how to compile shit in Linux as well. Linux will teach you a lot more about how computers work.

>Hard mode is using a compiler on Linux like gcc or g++
Except that's super easy mode, user.

You're a fucking tryhard faggot for giving a newb this stupid """"advice"""".

There should be more people like you hiring for IT

>tryhard
Exactly what students should be doing.

There are tons of us in mission critical companies. We can't afford to hire IDEbabies.

I recommend Visual Studio if you're on Windows. The only reason I don't recommend Visual Studio on Linux is because it doesn't exist. Visual Studio Code is not an IDE, but more of a text editor and should not be compared to each other as they are totally different products.

But in the end, it all comes down to preference. If you truly want to find the IDE for you, force yourself to use each one for a week straight. You'll know which one you were most comfortable with in the end.

Dev C++ is great for beginners
outdated etc. but easy to use
use Dev C++ for now. Then after you're comfortable with C++ learn how to develop without an IDE as it will help you greatly with understanding linker errors etc.
I'm assuming emacs would be fine too?
also, how do you define >couldn't use
i know some very basic shit(hjkl navigation, x i /), but i prefer nano(i don't do much text editing on console as you can tell)

>use IDE to learn
>have no idea what linker is or does
>have no idea how to include other libraries because wtf is linker search path etc. supposed to be
etc.
you should at least know how things would be done without an IDE as it teaches you a lot about this kind of stuff

OP DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE FAGGOTS

Deadly serious, you're going to waste your fucking precious studying time as a student trying to learn these aspie text editors. It is a fucking time sick that will ruin you. Trust me. I nearly failed a fucking class sophomore year thinking I should use vim instead of an IDE.

It's good to learn one eventually but do it when you have time and not while in school.

When you start out with programming, learn the language.
Then you learn the system.

Start with doing the exercises your professor gives you, and when you have time, improve your setup.

For now, a button that compiles your code and a button that runs your code through a debugger is all you really need.
Later you will find your preferred text editor and integrate those buttons yourself like most of people who post in these threads did.

>I'm assuming emacs would be fine too?
Yes.
>you should at least know how things would be done without an IDE
More than that, you should know how to use a damn console text editor with some proficiency.
> I nearly failed a fucking class sophomore year thinking I should use vim
Picking it up mid-semester is retarded, yes, but you should be using it on your free time to build familiarity. It really doesn't take long to be passably comfortable with Vim.

use visual studio if you enjoy programming
use vim if you enjoy erasing half of your file due to 2 wrong buttons

>More than that, you should know how to use a damn console text editor with some proficiency.
i agree, but not for programming. Rather, if you ever get access to a server, you're really gonna want to be comfortable with a console text editor. It's just one of those general IT skills to be comfortable around consoles in my opinion, rather than something specific to programming.

I can add a compiler to something like sublime text? Can you tell me how?

I'm still using eclipse for class but would like to use sublime when making something small, I hate how eclipse forces me to have so much shit even when I'm making something small. And I mean like less than ten lines of code

same as Visual Studio is (to me) one of the most complete development suite, with the .NET framework (most often Windows only, alas), and the IDE has about every tool you could dream of.
And as it is as, you said OP, for uni, just download the community edition, you will literally have no use at all for any other edition. I personally have the Enterprise edition thanks to my company, but I’m the only programmer there and I literally never used any of the Enterprise features.
Also, as you are a student, you can claim JetBrains’ products for free for a whole year, including CLion (their cross-platform C++ IDE), and ReSharper, a VS2015 extension which brings to VS CLion’s code analysis and its own IntelliSense (which I find to be more efficient).

Though I think the best way to begin (understand as long as you don’t have any huge/heavy project that requires the big guns), I think it is best to actually just use a text editor (emacs [my favorite one], vim, nano, Atom, Sublime, Brackets, VS Code…) and compile your files from the console, it will teach you to make as little as possible mistakes and detect them on your own, so once you begin to use and IDE it is to detect errors and bugs that are actually hard to detect.
Though it doesn’t always fit people, and some learn better with an IDE than with a text editor+compiler. Just experiment and see for yourself.
Also, this method works best if you are under GNU/Linux or macOS, because the compiler is directly accessible from the terminal, but it shouldn’t be too hard to add gcc and/or g++ (included in Code::Blocks’ installation folder) to your path to make it available from cmd.

And I think Code::Blocks is shit, but that’s just my opinion.
QtCreator is good if you want to use the Qt framework, but otherwise, I think it is shit too. Again, it’s only my opinion.

Also, avoid outdated IDEs and compilers, because they have low chances to be compatible with modern C++.

Hope this helped.

Learn how to use google you fucking autistic retard.

What kind of fucking idiot who can't even find information on the internet decides to become a programmer?

Not an IDE

Actually, VS code is good for this. Don't know if it has a Java plugin though and it shits the bed if you need to input anything from the console

>Visual studio code is for web programming shiet.
what?

Visual Studio is a full featured IDE because of this it is also very heavy but it's a great IDE and it will help you a lot in your learning process.

VSCode is a text editor, it lacks most of the features of it's older brother but it compensates by being lighweight, highly extensible, multiplatform and FOOS.

As for what to use I think it's better to use the tool that needs the least tweaking which is Visual Studio and maybe at later stage when you know what you are doing try some text editor such as vscode. Personally I use both, VS for C# backend stuff and vscode for frontend webshit.