My girlfriend's dad asked me to install Linux on his laptop

My girlfriend's dad asked me to install Linux on his laptop.

Cred Forums decides the distro.

No gentoo please, he's 64

arch

puppy

Chapeau

Elementary, if he's total noob
Mint, if he's little less noob
Ubuntu, if he's casual

Xubuntu or Mint something.

>My girlfriend's dad
is this a new meme?

Linux Mint or Ubuntu

My future father-in-law

In other words I really don't want to screw this up

>he's 64

Debian stable, auto-updates. He'll be set till death

Gentoo, and configure it to be friendly enough to be used by that grandpa who cucked you

Elementary, Mint or Ubuntu, I'd say. Depends on how competent he is and which system you're familiar with (since you'll be the tech support).

Depends on the laptop.

But eh, Cinnamon, Mint, OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu.

LFS

Cinnamon is a DE, not a distro. Though it IS easy to use, so some simple distro with Cinnamon (eg Mint) would probably be pretty good.

Never considered this, was actually considering Mint, but this sounds better. Never used Debian though, is it really as stable as everyone says? No problems whatsoever?

This, but don't do stock Ubuntu with unity.
Do something like Xubuntu or some shit.

It is super stable, however, drivers can be finicky at times. I know for a fact wireless drivers rarely if ever work out of the box for me at least.

Xubuntu

Unity is a mature DE. Nothing wrong with it.

Ubuntu (the newest LTS) will have him set for 4.5 years, if you don't want to upgrade it every 2 years, and don't trust their automatic upgrade. If he doesn't change very much, automatic LTS upgades probably won't break anything.

I would suggest perhaps not using Unity if the guy seems like he can't handle learning to click stuff on the left side of the screen, rather than the bottom. But if he is just browsing the internet and looking at pictures, Unity is fine, Ubuntu Mate would be fine, L/Xubuntu would be fine, Kubuntu would be fine etc. The learning curve on any of these is almost non-existent if the person only does very very basic stuff.

Debian is really good, but it's aimed at more experienced users, so there will be missing proprietary drivers on fresh install and it's very vanilla out of the box.

Okay, the latest beta looks alright.
However, I still do not like the aesthetics of it nor do I agree with how they were in bed with Amazon for a while.

Debian if he hasn't lost his logic yet, Ubuntu or Xubuntu if he doesn't mind it a bit clunkier for extra features, and Mint if you want something simple and more lightweight.

>is it really as stable as everyone says?
Yeah. I run it on an old laptop I take to work for shitposting. Still running strong over a year later

Also see - it does take about a half hour to get everything setup. Maybe an hour total if you're a total newbie to Debian

Ubuntu Mate then?

for someone 64, just get him Mint + Cinnamon w/ a windows-like icon set. make life easy on him.

>Mint
>make it easy on him
>patch kernel
>Mint explodes
>wtf i hate linux now

I think it looks fine, at least it's not the 157th variation of the flat meme.

>My girlfriend's dad

so like, where's your wife's son

Linux from scratch

Ubuntu with cinnamon.

Just use Ubuntu

>the OS doesn't even matter
Just do the newest version of Ubuntu.

Most importantly make shortcuts the the browser and useful folders on the desktop. Anyone can use a simple GUI with all their applications on the Desktop.

LFS

Ubuntu you noob and as wallpaper default use her nude pics.

Fucking recommending Debian lol...

Dude install Ubuntu LTS.

Its like Debian Stable only it actually has support and drivers.

For Debian, "stable" doesn't mean stable in the general sense, most people don't know this and they're just parroting it literally because they heard other people parrot it first. Debian's "stability" basically means that nothing changes.

>wipe all files
>install arch
>no DE
>no root password
>no sudo rights

And then there is this fag. You cant into any linux so you have to scream ubuntu everywhere you go. You are the physical embodiment of the fox and the grapes meme.
Hell, you couldn't even into mpv.

Fedora.

Fedora works with the most stuff out of the box (the only distro where my wireless card works out of the box).
It's incredibly user-friendly, and stable enough to use as a daily driver for 99% of people's computing needs.

Debians policies make it unusable for desktop users. There is no reason to burden someone with an unknown amount of expertise with freetard dogma.

I don't even use Debian, I'm just calling you out on your bullshit because you want to be elitist little faggot everywhere you go.
I bet you're a homosexual, this type of attitude is typical of homosexuals.

Guix

Mint.

Did you like, not read the OP or something?

This isn't Linux for real people, it's for some old guy.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out other peoples idiocy, especially when they are trying to help someone and don't know what the fuck they are doing.

>Cred Forums decides the distro.
There's a million of suggestions here, nigger. Will you install all of them?

Pick what dubs or trips decides.

He does that everywhere he goes though.

>with pointing out other peoples idiocy
The irony is you fail to realize your own.
You bust into threads trying to talk shit and be edgy every fucking day. I'm surprised you manage to contain yourself on /diy/. Maybe try some self control here too.

Manjaro.

This!
Shit's very comfy, eevn out of the box.
Use the Xfce version for added comfiness

I'm sorry you are suffering from mental illness but I do find it hilarious that my tripcode triggers you.

Better give him the Blunts or the Mints.

Yea thats why Im recommending it. I use xfce and I didnt have any problem yet. Im a Linux noob btw

Fedora

Its not your tripcode, its your shit attitude.

>I'm mentally ill
You're the one with autism.

I don't know if you're being serious but I guarantee you there are gay people who are better than you at any of your interests.

Being mean when people are wrong, that is how you effectively communicate.
Being triggered when someone communicates and calling people fags is how to be a little bitch.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Nowhere in my post did I say they were incapable of performing tasks.
Take your triggerdness back to tumblr.

You're just a dick, period. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong.
You come on here to talk shit to fill some void in your life. I dont know what the void might be exactly, but I know its there.
Hope you pull through, buddy. Maybe in the future dont be an asswipe to your only friends.

You are welcome to have an opinion but don't expect anyone to give a shit when you cry about someone being abrasive, because the opposite will always happen.

Calm down, my man. There are plenty of homosexuals who don't gloat either. It's not my fault you made a silly generalization. I've never met an expert on homos who know what's typical for them.

I have only ever used tumblr to look up big ass titties.

Fedora or Ubuntu LTS.

You don't want him to break his system, do you?

There are many types of the gays (not genders).
The majority of these types love drama more than any woman could dare to stir up. The level of drama a gay is capable of bringing to the table is actually more than the worst woman would be willing to deal with.
There is of course a few types of gays that don't like the dramas, but not enough.

>My future father-in-law

The man who will want to kill you after your future-wive flips into no-fault mode.

Manjaro

ROLLING TIME BOIS. Post number 64 decides

Mint

Install any distro, just run Plasma 5, Cinnamon, XFCE, or MATE on it. A more traditional desktop paradigm will probably be easier on him.

alpine