COIL WHINE

I was once, like a virgin, innocent and unknowingly joyous in compiling shiny new components together into gaming PCs for myself and my friends.. for many many years.. until recently I bought pic related (EVGA 1060 SC). Now I just feel dirty and tainted.

Everytime I fire it up in any game, program or benchmark that is graphically intensive, it's like a scene from fucking Constantine or the Blair Witch Project. I have to wind the settings back from ultra to normie and turn on v-sync just to get it to stfu.

Have you ever known the pain of GC or PSU coil whine? Did you RMA the bitch? Did you do something else? Did you dealwithit?

always rma anything with coil whine since it will never fix

>buying the cheap shitty 1 fan versions of any GPU
You get what you paid for, of course it's going to throttle up when you're doing things remotely demanding, and the thing is, the 1060 runs cooler than the 480

Should of bought AMD...

What does 1 fan vs 2-3 fan coolers have to do with coil whine? I'm getting whine at all temps not just high temps. Card runs quite cool actually. Is for a mini itx build - full length card does not fit.

I read last iteration of AMD cards suffered from whine more than NVIDIA - alot more in fact

Yeah because the r9 nano didnt have the worst coil whine of any gfx card

>caring about noise
my computer could sound like a jet engine and i would not give a flying fuck, thats what my headphones are for.

Nothing you can do about it. RMA it as soon as possible.

One-fan cards are usually the shittiest variants, so it's not suprising that they suffer from things like coil whine.

>Is for a mini itx build - full length card does not fit.
You fell for the itx meme? Wow, I feel sad for you

They do
if you dont have a 3 fan air intake or a liquid cooler youre fucked by temps and throttlinf with AMD

If there's coil wine it's probably more like design flaw rather than manufacturering flaw. Its shouldnt be the cause of failure however.

If you care about noise the best solution is to just keep your computer in a different room.

>rx 480 runs slightly hotter than a 1060
woah..........

you can use a 1060 with a stock cooler just fine

use a rx480 that isnt aftermarket and you get throttling and a burnt pci slot

i have a MSI GTX 970 (inb4 lol epic 3.5 gb meme XDD) and it does the same thing, that high pitched fucking sound makes me want to kill myself
i've heard its because of weak PSU, i currently have a 430W PSU. if i buy a more powerful(?) one will the piece of shit sound go away?

Didn't fall for anything - build is not for myself

If it's a design flaw rather than a manufacturing fault all 1060 SCs would be behaving this way - some have noted they don't have any coil whine from this exact card so I guess it's luck

I've heard higher quality, more powerful PSUs fix the issue, however this one is on a 800w Gold class PSU so I'm actually sceptical on that point

coil whine only happens when the voltage goes up and down. you can avoid it by setting a fixed clock rate for your gpu and voltage if you can. please try and report back to the email address i provided as user name

mine is a XFX TS 430W
i bought the cheapest PSU with good reviews I saw because i can find like 300 for a new PSU right now but not 1500 for a new card or processor

Already tried voltage regulation, core clock and memory regulation, frame rate locking, over and under volting, OC'ing, underclocking etc.

It's a manufacturing flaw. The actual components added onto the board vary from one product batch to another, you might be able to get non-whiny one by RMA'ing the first card and getting another of the same model.

gtx 970 is known for coil whine
its mostly because the gpu screams in horror as it realized Nvidia took its .5gb of vram

Can confirm

Does coil whine happen right at when you start your computer or when the graphic card is in use?
Because I got this noise right away when I start the computer, could it be the motherboard's coil whine?

Which gtx 1060 should I get then? I was planning on getting the sc version.

I got miself an RX470 Devil not so long ago. The coil whine was unbearable at start but i got used to it and dont notice it anymore most of the time. Didnt RMA it because its pain in the ass. From what ive read lots of 480, 470 models have coil whine issues. Still considering changing my PSU in hope it will help a bit with the problem.

This model is great though. Good value also.

Price of the card has nothing to do with coil whine, you retardo.

Higher price means better binning which means better chips so there is less coil whine

EVGA gtx 970 owner.
I just turn my sound up

Chips have nothing to do with coil whine. Are you stupid?

i have 860w platinum rated psu. the whine is there, its worse over 60fps so locking your frame rate might help

I go through many PSUs and GPUs each generation until I find a combination that doesn't whine. Couldn't find a single Maxwell card that was tolerable, so I now have an R9 Fury that behaves itself.

However, I recently RMA'd a faulty motherboard and while the original was silent the replacement has a loud high pitched squeal. I have determined that it is coming from a single choke coil for the memory power delivery. I don't want to do another RMA so I might make a cover to put over the component to function both as a heatsink and block the noise.

your head phones dont cancel out that type of noise kid
unless they are industrial hearing defenders.

Last time i had coil whine on a GPU was on a 4850
Which was a fire hazard anyway

Recently had a corsair PSU cause feedback in my speaker system, swapped it for a seasonic and now its silent

have 2x 285 gtx
they were used when i got them and started off with bad coil whine but over a few weeks it the sound went away. Its been about 2 years now and I only get the whine again if I cold boot after not using my pc for like a week.

It's got to be something with the physical shape of the metal adjusting to certain temperatures. Possibly the PCB expanding to allow space, idk. I heard on some gpu's the sound never goes away though.