Searching a linux distro for my laptop

>Searching a linux distro for my laptop
>find pic related
>Try it from a boot usb
>All the drivers work perfectly: webcam, ports, touchpad, wifi, etc.
>Works fast as fuck
>Based in Ubuntu, but without Amazon bloatware and shit.
>Anyone here using it permanently?

Nah, I'll wait till it gets more mature.

I'm using it daily. What do you want to know?

Elementary is just the worse version of Deepin.

Does it work fine with Wine? I want to format my laptop and let W10 only for vidya and I would like to still use office and photoshop.

Also how stable is when you use it everyday?

remember that if you don't pay for it you are a cheater and a thief

Nah

Just use ubuntu mate

not but office and photoshop work fine with wine. Worst case scenario you will end up using a vm with W10 or W7.

installed it on a desktop, then sold it. didn't use it myself, but liked the look enough out of the box.

>using this shit
>not using arch

OP, I use it......it is ok.......nothing special....

The Kernel is well out of date. The repositories for adding software is shit.....

Ubuntu and Linux Mint are better distros than Elementary.

Has it got graphical bugs? I hate them.

Its pretty stable. The only real bug I'm currently facing is that owncloud courses the mouse to flicker somehow. It's a bit annoying that they didn't include add-apt-repository and that you need to use gdebi/dpkg for .debs but other than that it works just fine.

I'm not gay

Elementary literally uses the same kernel and packages as Ubuntu 16.04 (and probably Mint too)

I'm gonna get alot of hate for beung a noob
Is there a reason my laptop runs like ass on all linux distros (except puppy)?
Windows 7 it runs excellent
Windows 8.1 it runs great.
Windows 10 it runs fine, little slow but not too bad
I usually run 7 on it
But linux is a laggy shithole when i run it
I've tried mint, ubuntu, and fedora
All are laggy as hell, to the point i dont consider them useable outside of a terminal. On my desktop they run fine
My laptop is from 2012, so its by no means new, but if it can run win10 id think it can run most linux distros

It's probably your graphics driver. I'm not sure how to install drivers on puppy, but you might want to check that (Google "Nvidia driver puppy Linux" or "amd driver puppy Linux")

If you have Intel based graphics (Iris or Intel HD graphics) then I don't know why it's so laggy (Intel drivers are installed by default)

Ok, i download Kubuntu. Thanks for advice buddy!

My girlfriend uses it as her daily OS. but she's not exactly picky.. or a power user.

>Does it work fine with Wine?
Hey OP. You seem to have a common misconception about Linux, let me try and clear this up.

You've probably read a bit, or a lot, about different Linux distros, along with why THIS snowflake distro is better than THAT snowflake distro. The truth is, in a big majority of cases, those differences are cosmetic or in software choice, not in compatibility or anything that really matters. No distro works better with a certain program. Let's take Ubuntu for example. Ubuntu (w/ Unity), Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, elementaryOS, Ubuntu Gnome. All of these are Ubuntu with a different DE. Their differences are for example what file manager, what shell theme, etc. They're not different in the things that actually matter when picking a distro since you can take Ubuntu, run sudo apt-get install KDE, xfce, lxde, whatever, and basically end up with another distro. The point I'm really trying to make is, picking this or that doesn't matter because distros that only differ in DE can be turned into each other.

The things that really matter when picking a distro are repository state (if you run recent hardware you might want to stay up-to-date, if you're running a server you might want complete stability), init (almost every distro uses systemd nowadays), proprietary package policy (for example, Red Hat refuses to have proprietary shit on their repositories, while Canonical doesn't give a crap), package manager (dnf >> apt-get > pacman).

are you kidding? What if it's not even updated?

I'm not challenging you, I am just curious as to your reasoning on the matter.

There's an option to pay, and you can choose not to. He's joking, it's a joke.

He's referring to when a dev mentioned how something like 99% (not exaggerating) of people who downloaded eOS didn't pay, and they felt that was unfair, which is reasonable - I'd make pretty DE's all day too if it paid the bills. The word "theft" was thrown around by the dev I think, and that kind of stained eOS's reputation.

user, get anything ubuntu based that isn't Mint or Elementary.
Elementary looks nice out of the box and that's it. It has too many quirks, bugs on it's own that are annoying. You need to install something you have to check specific instructions for elementary instead of going straight ahead and installing it.
I sugest you go with lubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu and customize it, you'll get something lighter, more functional and later on the road easier to update/upgrade.
If you want to try Arch, use Arch Anywhere or Antergos if the installation was giving you second thoughts.

I should have also mentioned that certain programs crash on it. I installed Emacs...it crashes as soon as it loads up.

I tried to update to the latest Kernel(yeap, I did compile it etc) and it wouldn't install......I tried to do it 3 times.

Elementary is ok for browsing and shit posting but not much more else, IMO.

ya but if you make something "pay what you want", aren't you kind of accepting the fact that 99% of people aren't going to pay anything? 1% actually seems like a pretty good number

I'd be willing to bet most paid software has similar numbers, but people just pirate it instead

>package manager (pacman >>> dnf >> apt-get).
FTFY

It's a good OS for really simple stuff, but as others have mentioned, it has its bugs. If you're looking to browse the web it'll do you fine.

>no minimize button

What pretentious fuck thought this was a good idea?

You can minimize applications by clicking on them on the application launcher at the bottom of the screen.

Although I can't really say I ever minimize windows, why would I need that?

Better than elementary os idfc what you use.

>spends all day talking to strangers on the internet
>rude to them

Why?

No idea, but you can add them

Piracy used to be more convenient than buying software, for example you could get Windows from PirateBay faster than buying the disk at the store. Or you could get a movie from KAT while the 10$ DVD would have 6 unskippable trailers. Nowadays pirating is a bigger hassle, while official distribution channels are better. I've never found a good alternative to Grooveshark.

Anyways I'm not saying people owe them anything, but a friendly reminder is better than him being an asshole and start selling something, which would anger the community far more (hurr why are you selling a distro where 99.9% of the packages are from Canonical?).

It's one of those things you stop doing when you move to Linux and start using multiple desktops like a proper member of society.

Kek

What pisses me off more is the idea behind wanting to remove it. The principal behind elementary OS is creating an OSx like experience, where everything is simplified and streamlined. Instead of focusing on the major pain in the ass linux shit for general users, they go ahead a remove a tiny little button that will only potentially cause frustration to the users that are used to that button in every other god damned OS out there.

Elementary OS is always heavily design influenced. They'll make workflow sacrifices for visual improvements.

If anything it'll make it so that people start closing their running software. Idek how many times I've seen an osx laptop running 20-30 minimized windows and only 1 is being used.

>tfw don't have enough living brian cells to get it

Is vanilla ubuntu that bad? The website seems a little commercialized..

But this is the first time I'm hearing about the amazon bloatware stuff.

Or is there something better, for a beginner, still based on debian/ubuntu (I think I'd prefer AppArmor to SELinux)

>brian cells

Users tend not to like the DE for ubuntu and the fact that it has the amazon store built-in (although you can disable it.)

It really isn't that bad, that being said you could try any other *ubuntu-based distro and it'll be just as good, lots are mentioned in this tread or in the linux friendly general

fucking lol

Sorry for being a noob but what does DE stand for? Too short/ambiguous of an acronym for me to try and google.

I've seen there are frequent linux distro threads on here, I'm just starting out, I know I have a lot to learn.

Thank you user.

Desktop environment, give google image a quick use and type: xfce, linux cinnamon, ubuntu unity, kde, linux gnome. These are examples of DE's, you can also search "Linux DE" in google and get some articles explaining them.

>2016
>still falling for the eos ubangoo mayamay

I really fucking hope you retarded fuckers...

Just get Manjaro and get it over with. Have never loved a distro so damn easy and simple as Manjaro.

apt-get is inferior vs to yaourt and pacman

>using manjaro
>having an opinion

Lmfao you're using the elementary os of arch you tool.

Coming in here and insult everybody, kmt..

sorry you're too much an inferiror ubangoo based distro pleb to move on from ubangoo based distros already

you probably still drink your milk in milk bottles

Underrated

that's illogical horse shit since it's not same de
go do your homework, mongoloid

I use arch........

and no I ues milk bags, friend.

For each his own, I thought it was pretty shitty.

I've never once been able to adjust brightness on my laptop on any Linux distribution

I'll give it the test

no, it says right in that picture that the kernel is 3.19. Ubuntu uses 4.4 in their latest release.

last time I used it I would get a crash report every 5 minutes

I just use linux mint now

emerge > *

this sounded like a pasta when it started but then it gave good info, wtf
can we make this a pasta?

i was able to adjust brightness on my laptop using the Fn keys out of the box on arch, everywhere including the tty's. what computer do you have? i have a Dell L502X

Its just a shiny DE.
Its full of bugs, the browser is shit and the packages are outdated as fuck.